UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:23:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 287838 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 18, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »

Why are people accusing the Tories of racism?

What did they do wrong?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 10:35:25 PM »

What is the whole purpose of the European Union?

So much chaos, crisis, problem after problem.

The UK prime ministerial job is probably one of the worst political jobs in the world, next to President of the U.S. and Speaker of the U.S. House, Governor of Illinois and New Jersey included
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »

What did they do wrong?

1) How long have you got?

2) Where to even start??

(other more considered answers are available, and others here might provide them)

Not every rightwing party in the world should be accused of racism. Racism is on the left and the right. Yes, the Tories shouldn't have done what they did with the Enoch Powell speech, the Smethwick 1964 issue and the John Taylor racism in 1990, but a lot of Black Britons are Tories themselves.

There is still antisemitism on the Labor side. Old Labour took over the party since 2015.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 11:53:07 AM »

What did they do wrong?

1) How long have you got?

2) Where to even start??

(other more considered answers are available, and others here might provide them)

Not every rightwing party in the world should be accused of racism. Racism is on the left and the right. Yes, the Tories shouldn't have done what they did with the Enoch Powell speech, the Smethwick 1964 issue and the John Taylor racism in 1990, but a lot of Black Britons are Tories themselves.

There is still antisemitism on the Labor side. Old Labour took over the party since 2015.

I'm being contrarian for the sake of it but Ted Heath sacked Powell for the speech & was actually quite strong in being against it irrc.

But a lot of people think Powell's ideology is the current ideology of the Tories. It is not.

Not every rightwing party is racially biased.

Is there any rightwing party in Africa today that is racially biased?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 11:08:37 PM »

Also, I think Old Wembley may be better than the current Wembley, but that is my opinion.....

Also, if the Tories want to wash away "racism" charges, they need to root this out once and for all and create laws banning racist abuse towards people, if laws are already enforced, then enforce the books and make it stronger....

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 11:09:54 AM »

Being widely reported that the England football team have declined a number 10 photocall (and yes it is also being officially denied, but that was always going to be the case whatever actually happened) It really does look like Tory attempts to fit this into their FOREVER CULTURE WAR have rebounded a bit.

Fox and Sky news will say that they are too political, they are copying the NBA in the Trump years.....sports and politics have become too intertwined, and Zlatan's message about politics and sports could prove right to a lot of people.

We will see.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »

Sky News isn't particularly right wing or anti-woke (KRM has only a minority stake in it these days)

There is of course GB News, but viewing figures for that are approaching only visible with microscope territory (which may of course tell its own story) I really don't think that simply trying to import US tropes on this straight over to the UK is particularly wise.

It is wise because politics is in sports now thanks to Kaepernick and Ali, and now that the English footballers are speaking out more harshly and boldly, Sky News will bring it up, and Fox will do. Fox is already bringing it up. I'm sure Katie Hopkins will be on Tucker Carlson tonight attacking the players for not sticking to sports.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/14/england-footballers-new-generation-britain-progressive-young-
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 01:47:37 PM »

Politics was in sports long before Kaepernick. Going back to the days of Roman games if not further.

True, in a sense, but athletes stopped being vocal about this stuff after Ali's struggles in the 1970s....yes, you have athletes with political beliefs and some don't even have political beliefs, but they kept it quiet. You never heard Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Wayne Rooney or David Beckham speak on it, although they may donate to charitable organizations, etc.

Kaepernick has changed the world so athletes can use their voices if they want----but there are a lot of people who say, focus on sports, focus on championships, leave politics to the backburner....Zlatan has that same ideology unlike Rashford, Kaepernick, Rapinoe and Mings....

Some Guardian readers want to know why the footballers are taking a more bolder stance than Labour? Where's Labour?

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

England Team is doing miles more than Keir Starmer in opposing this government’s deadly and racist attitudes. They are most competent opposition of an incompetent political class.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/14/england-footballers-new-generation-britain-progressive-young-
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 06:36:49 PM »

Some Guardian readers want to know why the footballers are taking a more bolder stance than Labour? Where's Labour?

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

England Team is doing miles more than Keir Starmer in opposing this government’s deadly and racist attitudes. They are most competent opposition of an incompetent political class.

Ah yes, news website comment sections, truly the agoras of our age where the most pressing issues are discussed among the brightest of minds.

You need to hear the voice of the people. The Guardian is one of the few journalistic outlets in the Western world that allows people to speak on the comments section. The Guardian leans left. Their readers are clamoring for change and help against the Tory regime and the England footballers are the only ones other than James O'Brien who are speaking out on racial and poverty issues.....which is why a lot of Tory MPs and Tories in general and conservatives worldwide are begging athletes not to get political......
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 01:19:06 PM »

AlbanianinLondon
AlbanianinLondon
3 hours ago

Ah yes, news website comment sections, truly the agoras of our age where the most pressing issues are discussed among the brightest of minds.

You need to hear the voice of the people. The Guardian is one of the few journalistic outlets in the Western world that allows people to speak on the comments section. The Guardian leans left. Their readers are clamoring for change and help against the Tory regime and the England footballers are the only ones other than James O'Brien who are speaking out on racial and poverty issues.....which is why a lot of Tory MPs and Tories in general and conservatives worldwide are begging athletes not to get political......

Lmao, one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in this board recently.

Why did you only start deeply caring about UK politics and the Tory government when racism/black lives came up in the news? And in the opposite tone to all of your US posts.

Not sure that you can, with any degree of seriousness, say that only footballers and minor talk radio host (in the common sense of the noun) James O'Brien are the only people speaking out against injustice. The players have done a great job at forcing the issue but it's correlated with the worldwide movement. Tory MPs haven't reacted well but yesterday Steve Baker was out dsaying the opposite, and the idea that they're part of some worldwide movement begging athletes to stop is stupid.

The Guardian comments section is not the voice of the people lol. The BBC News website also has a comments sec, fwiw. I'm wagering you just looked at the Guardian because it's free.

I've been following UK politics for a long time now, since the Blair-Brown days.....I support kneeling, if Kaepernick, James, Rashford, Mings and Kane want to speak out on something, they have every right to do so....as long as they know what they are doing.....they just need to remember that the global right is going to feud with them on this for a long time....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »

The young man who faced the most assault has finally spoken....

He gets support internationally, even from Maryland Lt. Gov. Boyd Rutherford, a Black conservative....

Rutherford would have been a good candidate in MD to keep it in GOP hands, but the MDGOP may go Trumpist soon, but other than that, all three men have spoken, including Jadon Sancho.

Britain in general needs a check up on race, and that government report they released on race a few months ago looks foolish.....

Tories should listen to Baker and Andrew Langsley, whom for decades have warned Tories they need to be more awakened to racial problems....

All the Western political parties are all race-bait, do nothing empires....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »

GB news has cancelled one of their presenters for taking the knee after their 10 viewers threatened to boycott them.

Pretty hilarious if they collapse this quickly- the Change UK of media.

Why would someone who takes the knee work for GB News in the first place?
Btw, I randomly turned on GB News the other week and saw the presenter (don't know his name) the following day in the street.

A lot of people have a change of heart? That's why? Piers Morgan was moved by the racism the England Black soccer players faced that now he is 100% for kneeling and wants every player to kneel now, he admires Rashford now for his work in ending poverty.

Things are slowly changing in Britain regarding racism---if the abuse can make Piers Morgan shift and make Susanna Reid burst in heartwrenching tears, things are changing.....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 08:19:51 PM »

I know very little about the U.K. media market but my hunch was that there was a space for this kind of politics- it just wasn’t a space that would be filled by 24 news which jumps between ‘woke watch’ and ‘local man bites dog’ type stories.

MSNBC covered this GB News last night, the news anchor was perplexed....

But now that Piers Morgan, Susanna Reid and others have been woken from the realities of racism, Tories are going to have to shift----shift quickly.....they should listen to Steve Baker and Andrew Lansley, in 2001, who warned them 20 years ago....

https://www.news24.com/news24/tories-struggle-with-racism-20010901

Labour has their problem with anti-Semitism as well....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2021, 10:25:59 PM »

bronz/Suburbia, since you are posting here, what party do you like the most in the UK?

I am a blue-collar moderate Independent at heart, so I don't think I would fit in with any party in the UK. Tories are too xenophobic and crazy, yes, I believe that every nation on Earth should protect their borders, but they are a little over the top, Labor is not focused enough and they need to unite the leftists and moderates and the LibDems are totally nonexistent.....

Labour has a race problem with South Asian and Muslim voters.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcI3Vtf8Tw

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2021, 04:36:40 PM »

Blair should be ashamed for his role in all of the neoliberal-neoconservative reign of the 2000s.....there is nothing wrong with centrism but Blair's inability to realize that the Western imperialism of the ME has been nothing but catastrophic, period.

Does Blair still live in Sedgefield?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 05:30:15 PM »

It's the cold plain truth
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »

The thing is that Labor can win with a Blair charisma without all of his centrist policies.....

Remember, Blair's 1997 and 2001 landslides were historic....

If Labor doesn't control Britain by 2030 Britain will break up and the Empire will really be dead.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »

The thing is that Labor can win with a Blair charisma without all of his centrist policies.....

Remember, Blair's 1997 and 2001 landslides were historic....

If Labor doesn't control Britain by 2030 Britain will break up and the Empire will really be dead.

the empire has been dead since 1947

The Empire is still strong, but not as influential as it was in the 1940s and 1950s......once Britain has top notch singers, athletes, etc. Britain will always be relevant, even if Brexit has happened
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2021, 09:39:04 PM »

England men's football manager Gareth Southgate revealed he was abused online for advocating English people to get the vaccine.....he faced more abuse with that than the losses England faced under his reign....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/aug/26/gareth-southgate-i-got-more-abuse-for-vaccine-video-than-managing-england

They are British libertarians too......that's their problem....if they don't want to get the vaccine, that is their problem. Period.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2021, 03:59:12 PM »

With a Tory government, I am surprised that US radio talk show host Michael Savage hasn't been freed from ban in the UK, the Labor government in 2009 did that, it is surprising....

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103819122

Priti Patel should offer an olive branch
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2021, 06:48:32 PM »

I don't think Gove would even be considered....he looks like a cartoon character

Patel and Badenoch would be historic firsts, something that a white-dominant conservative party needs......

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2021, 07:09:36 PM »

I don't think Gove would even be considered....he looks like a cartoon character

He looks like he walked out of Madame Tussaud’s on a hot day.

Exactly. Labor would win if he was the Tory leader.

Labor is ripe for a 2024 victory; it has been decades since they won
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »

I think Cassius was impressed with his dancing prowess rather than his looks.

Patel and Badenoch would be historic firsts, something that a white-dominant conservative party needs......

Lol.
We've only got the most diverse cabinet in history with a record number of the holders of the Great Offices having a minority background (arguably all four do).

Listen chum the UK isn't obsessed with skin colour like the Yanks are.

Oh, yes, the UK is obsessed with skin color....if not, Naomi Campbell, The Duchess of Sussex, Dianne Abbott, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka would not have faced the racist abuse they have faced there....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »

Well, leftwing parties all over the world tend to attract more people of color, even rich people of color like athletes and celebrities, while rightwing parties that attract people of color are called coconuts, coons, etc.

Why?

In America, it is the same thing. Black conservatives globally are always maligned....
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »

Because historically, conservatism has tended to be inimical to minority interests - its not hard. Despite that, there have been prominent non-white supporters of right wing parties from the beginning.

Well, you have some points, just like how progressivism can be inimical to white working class interests---the ideologies target their prey----

There needs to be more ideological and racial flexibility......I would like to see Kemi Badenoch or Priti Patel as PM one day....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies