UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 06:32:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 ... 232
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 298462 times)
Lewist123
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5225 on: July 06, 2022, 10:28:24 AM »

Watching Johnson answer these questions is just painful.
What self-respecting person would choose to carry on right now. It's over, how can he not see that. I feel embarrassed for him.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5226 on: July 06, 2022, 10:29:00 AM »

TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #5227 on: July 06, 2022, 10:31:34 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 10:39:53 AM by TheTide »

Chris Heaton-Harris, the Chief Whip, and Simon Hart, the Welsh Secretary, and others are to visit Johnson to tell him to resign.

Edit: Nadhim Zahawi is amongst the aforementioned delegation! And Brandon Lewis, Northern Ireland Secretary, and Grant Shapps, Transport Secretary.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #5228 on: July 06, 2022, 10:45:42 AM »

Rachel Maclean, Minister for Safeguarding, has resigned.

That letter was a bit more explosive - effectively stating that Johnson's actions made it impossible for anybody to actually promote safeguarding.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5229 on: July 06, 2022, 10:47:36 AM »

Boris is in front of the Liaison Committee, and it’s just brutal. In the last few minutes alone, they’ve read out the news that he’s lost another group of PPS, and asked him whether he knows what the maths of losing 148 (confidence vote MPs) + 32 (resignation MPs) means.

Johnson is angry, cornered and refusing to cede any ground.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5230 on: July 06, 2022, 10:51:49 AM »

Boris is in front of the Liaison Committee, and it’s just brutal. In the last few minutes alone, they’ve read out the news that he’s lost another group of PPS, and asked him whether he knows what the maths of losing 148 (confidence vote MPs) + 32 (resignation MPs) means.

And the news about the cabinet delegation.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5231 on: July 06, 2022, 10:52:11 AM »

Really strong language in the just-released resignation of Johnson’s PPS Mark Fletcher (who holds Dennis Skinner’s former seat of Bolsover). Explicitly says Johnson blamed Pincher’s victims, for their own alcohol consumption.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5232 on: July 06, 2022, 10:55:18 AM »

And the news about the cabinet delegation.

Yeah - he’s just ignoring all of it.
And as I’m writing, he just ruled out resigning again, and pivoted to a demand that he be allowed to fulfil his manifesto. The whole answer devolved into a waffle about charging electric cars. It’s beyond parody.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5233 on: July 06, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »

At this rate, I doubt BoJo even makes it through the summer. Literally no chance he'll be PM on New Year's Eve. Even if he doesn't the realize it yet, the dude is done.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5234 on: July 06, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »

At this rate, I doubt BoJo even makes it through the summer. Literally no chance he'll be PM on New Year's Eve. Even if he doesn't the realize it yet, the dude is done.
The scale of rebellion is unprecedented. If he doesn’t resign tonight, I’m fairly confident there will be a confidence vote in the next 48 hours. The whips cannot even find candidates to fill major ministerial roles. The government is functionally paralysed.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5235 on: July 06, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »

Kwasi Kwarteng (Business Secretary), Michelle Donelan (newly appointed Education Secretary) amongst the delegation. Patel and Marie-Trevelyan also in Number 10.

I make that 7 cabinet ministers plus the Chief Whip who no longer support Johnson, not counting Patel and Marie-Trevelyan (whose positions aren't official as of time of writing).
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5236 on: July 06, 2022, 11:18:14 AM »

Yeah I give it a couple of days maximum if that, and purely for technical reasons if they need to hold another VONC. He’s donezo.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5237 on: July 06, 2022, 11:20:28 AM »

1922 not changing the rules, but will hold its elections on Monday, which would presumably be the point that the rules get changed if he hasn't resigned by then.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5238 on: July 06, 2022, 11:29:05 AM »

Its totally pathetic I know, but part of Johnson's thinking now may be that if he can just hang on a few more months, he will overtake Callaghan and (crucially) May in terms of his tenure as PM.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5239 on: July 06, 2022, 11:35:45 AM »

He'd probably be able to do that if he's allowed to stay on until a leadership contest is done.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5240 on: July 06, 2022, 11:37:28 AM »

I hope he doesn’t make it a full three years.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5241 on: July 06, 2022, 11:39:36 AM »

Nadine Dorries has just walked into Number Ten.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5242 on: July 06, 2022, 11:42:59 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 05:06:09 PM by Virginiá »

Zahawi what a slimeball trying to hatch on the Grey Suits brigade.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5243 on: July 06, 2022, 11:44:38 AM »

He'd probably be able to do that if he's allowed to stay on until a leadership contest is done.

I think he would need to last well into August, so perhaps not quite.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5244 on: July 06, 2022, 11:52:11 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 05:06:13 PM by Virginiá »

Zahawi Deserts.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5245 on: July 06, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 05:06:18 PM by Virginiá »

Zahawi Deserts.

This is a guy who ran a political polling company and couldn't see the writing on the wall yesterday evening.

I genuinely hate him and all these other Tory opportunists more than Johnson
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5246 on: July 06, 2022, 12:04:14 PM »

Johnson's (few?) remaining supporters apparently saying he is serious about his threat to dissolve the current parliament "if that is what it takes".

I mean, it is still most likely a total bluff and even if he attempts that it will surely fail. But even so it is far from unbelievable that he might give it a go. Yet again, it would be just desserts for a party that in large measure voted for him to be PM *despite knowing what sort of person he was*.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5247 on: July 06, 2022, 12:08:58 PM »

Johnson's (few?) remaining supporters apparently saying he is serious about his threat to dissolve the current parliament "if that is what it takes".

I mean, it is still most likely a total bluff and even if he attempts that it will surely fail. But even so it is far from unbelievable that he might give it a go. Yet again, it would be just desserts for a party that in large measure voted for him to be PM *despite knowing what sort of person he was*.

Has the Fixed Terms Act been repealed cause if it isn’t then Boris would not be able to go through with this threat
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5248 on: July 06, 2022, 12:09:59 PM »

I mean we all know that such a move would be pure reaction and retribution,  with a side of risking it all for more time in power. Especially since we can expect Uxbridge to go red in the current environment - especially if Boris is still there. And it probably won't change the Tory line, they would just run on something anti-Boris but in favor of saving the furniture.  

Has the Fixed Terms Act been repealed cause if it isn’t then Boris would not be able to go through with this threat

Yes, in March.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5249 on: July 06, 2022, 12:10:38 PM »

It was repealed a few months ago.
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 ... 232  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies