UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:05:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 283659 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: April 22, 2021, 05:09:14 PM »

MPs state genocide is taking place in China

The House of Commons has declared for the first time that genocide is taking place against Uyghurs and others in north-west China.

More than a million people are estimated to have been detained at camps in the region of Xinjiang

The motion approved by MPs does not compel the UK to take action, but is a sign of growing discontent towards the Chinese government in Parliament.

Nice to feel proud of Parliament for once in a while.

No Nay votes either.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 01:20:36 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2021, 01:45:51 PM by Torrain »

Any thoughts on who is appointed as Health Secretary?

From what I've heard, the Secretary of State for Justice, Robert Buckland is a prime candidate (his change to prison rules apparently reduced infection rates amongst the incarcerated, so maybe that's where the rumour is coming from?).

Nadhim Zahawi, the Minister for COVID Vaccine Deployment is also brought up as a candidate, but given some of the medical stock he owns there could be conflict of interest issues (although that now seems trivial in the face of Hancock's actions).

Sajid Javid is also apparently in the mix. Javid was working on social care reform as Chancellor before resigned, and seems to want to get back on the front benches, so it’s definitely possible…
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »

Tbh, I do understand Johnson picking Javid.

He’s outside government, so it prevents a broader reshuffle (which Johnson seems to want to avoid).

Also, Javid resigned because he disagreed with the plans Cummings had for control of the Treasury. Rehiring him let’s Johnson thumb his nose at Cummings, now that he’s persona non grata
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 01:57:23 PM »

Can we expect a England beats Germany boost for Boris?
I wonder if Wilson’s government became more popular in polls after 66

England crashing out of the World Cup was supposedly a factor in Labour losing in 1970.

So, all Starmer has to do to beat Boris is force a snap election, and then kidnap Gareth Southgate?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 05:21:14 AM »

From what I’m hearing - we might finally get a cabinet reshuffle today.
Laura Kuennsberg is making veiled references on Twitter, Raab and Truss have cancelled events at CCHQ, and Labour MPs like Dr Allin-Khan are attacking it as a distraction from parliamentary debate over social care reform. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrRosena/status/1438083241395773441

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1438076451257978883
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »

Gavin Williamson out from Education as expected.  It's not clear whether he's going anywhere else yet, but maybe he isn't.  There was a rumour earlier that he might get Northern Ireland <shudders>

Oof. I must say, I really dislike Johnson's use of the NI Office as career-ending weapon. He clearly used it as a punishment for Brandon Lewis, with whom he's long feuded. Even worse, he removed Julian Smith, the first competent Secretary in that post for quite some time.

Sure, it's a poisoned chalice of a political appointment, but the sheer infamy of the office is frustrating. I've family in County Down, and a lot of the guys over there just feel patronised by the political posturing that's done with the NI Office.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 08:09:19 AM »

Robert Buckland has left the government, after two years in post.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 08:23:34 AM »

Speculation on the BBC seems to be as follows:
  • Dominic Raab demoted, possibly to Justice or a similar mid-tier cabinet post - unclear whether he will retain the title of First Secretary of State
  • Housing, Communities and Local Government Secretary Robert Jenrick looks to be on the way out
  • Conservative Party co-Chair Amanda Milling looks to be on the outs
  • Kemi Badenoch (Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury) rumoured to be up for promotion
  • Priti Patel noted to be looking grim, but not clear what her fate is yet

Edit - also discussion about Johnson addressing concerns about a lack of gender-balance and regional-diversity in the cabinet.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:47 AM »

Could there be a leadership coup if she gets demoted?

I doubt it - I've never gotten the impression that Patel controls enough support to overthrow Johnson. I'm a little detached, up here in Scotland, but I firmly believe that Rishi Sunak remains a far greater threat to Johnson.

I think the bullying scandal, combined with her personal unpopularity killed any chance of a Patel premiership. On the otherhand, if I had to put money on the cabinet member who would succeed Johnson, I'd probably go with Sunak, who helped set up the furlough scheme and isn't as disliked as Raab (seen in many corners as incompetent) or Patel (who has become caricatured in the same manner as Thatcher, as a heartless right-winger).
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 08:34:05 AM »

Jenrick officially out.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 08:35:46 AM »

It's also worth noting that, following the sacking of Buckland, Oliver Dowden (Secretary of Culture, Media and Sport) is the only MP who supported Remain in 2016 to still be in the cabinet.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 08:51:07 AM »

New Labour had problems created by unsackable Ministers- it means people get sacked to create jobs for them and each reshuffle creates more problems.

Yeah - that appears to be what happened to Buckland (who was broadly popular within Government), being fired to provide a new job for Raab, who Johnson wants to demote.

I'm just nervous about who will replace him as Foreign Secretary, given that the two names in discussion are Gove and Truss. Neither of whom I trust with one of the great offices of state.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 09:06:08 AM »

Could there be a leadership coup if she gets demoted?

I doubt it - I've never gotten the impression that Patel controls enough support to overthrow Johnson. I'm a little detached, up here in Scotland, but I firmly believe that Rishi Sunak remains a far greater threat to Johnson.

I think the bullying scandal, combined with her personal unpopularity killed any chance of a Patel premiership. On the otherhand, if I had to put money on the cabinet member who would succeed Johnson, I'd probably go with Sunak, who helped set up the furlough scheme and isn't as disliked as Raab (seen in many corners as incompetent) or Patel (who has become caricatured in the same manner as Thatcher, as a heartless right-winger).

I'd agree - Patel is very much a 'darling' (as the press would say) of a particular subsection of the Tory membership. You might also argue that Sunak hasn't had to own his policies or actions in such a self-incri given that his most unpopular or most controversial actions are usually characterised as government policies rather than personal ineptitude.

Yeah - I agree.

Patel has long-held very public, and controversial views on issues like the death penalty and immigration- so when the Home Office carries out a less-popular set of policies, it seems to be viewed as her personal mandate. She's got her fans, but they're a small group of loud individuals, rather than a crowd.

And conversely, Sunak appears to be able to evade scrutiny for Treasury screw-ups, but take credit for more popular/populist policies like the furlough scheme and pandemic pay-out schemes for businesses.

I wonder whether that's partly due to how he entered office. Javid resigned as Chancellor when it became apparent Johnson and Cummings wanted more control over the Treasury. Sunak taking the job was a tacit admission he was ok with slightly less power in the position - maybe that gives him political cover to blame No. 10 for foisting less effective/popular policies on him.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 09:21:44 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2021, 09:33:27 AM by Torrain »

Worth noting that Raab was just First Secretary of State before (in addition to Foreign Secretary). He's been given Deputy PM today as a courtesy title - doesn't really mean much in actuality.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »

Amanda Milling officially out as Tory Party Co-Chairman.
Rishi Sunak retained as Chancellor.

Liz Truss has entered No. 10, presumably for a promotion, possibly even for Foreign Secretary

I could link to the tweets, but I've probably cluttered up the thread enough as it is, so  I'll just drop a link to Laura Kuensberg's twitter account and the BBC News live-stream instead.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcnews
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 09:43:12 AM »

BIG NEWS - Priti Patel retained as Home Secretary
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »

Oliver Dowden, Culture Secretary, broadly liked within the party, and last Cabinet member to support Remain in 2016, has been called into Downing Street - seems like he's going to be tapped for one of the vacant posts - a viable candidate for Education Secretary.

Speculation is that:
Dowden gets Education
Gove gets Housing, Community and Local Government
Kemi Babenoch gets Culture, Media and Sport

Still being worked out though.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 09:56:44 AM »

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 08:12:42 AM »

Tory MP David Amess has just been stabbed at his constituency surgery.

Just heard the news - this is awful. Amess has been a public servant for decades, and this is unconscionable.

This can’t keep happening. Whether this as politically motivated as Jo Cox’s attack remains to be seen (but I’ve got an awful gut feeling that it is), but holding in-person surgeries and constituent events is a cornerstone of the constituency system and local democracy.

There has be some way of keeping people safe during these events. Just awful. So awful.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 08:17:05 AM »

I’ve also been reminded that Stephen Timms was assaulted in 2010 in a similar surgery event.
That’s 3 times in 11 years. This is unacceptable.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 09:02:50 AM »

Reuters is reporting the death of a man at the scene of the crime.

No further details available on the identity at this time.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 09:57:25 AM »

One of the more attractive small 'd' democratic features of the British political system is the accessibility of its political figures, even very senior ones. An MP's surgery is basically open-house and it's common to see politicians use public transport like ordinary people: I once sat behind a sleeping man on a train who I realised after a few seconds was Carwyn Jones, the First Minister of Wales at the time - he had an aide with him, but no security. The frequency of serious attacks on politicians - and of deaths - probably puts this at risk, at least in its present form. Sweden, of course, has had similar issues.

Totally agree. My MP growing up was Sir Menzies Campbell. Some of my first political memories are of meeting him in the tearoom of our town museum, where he’d occasionally show up, without aides or security.

Whether as leader of the Lib Dems, a backbencher, or later as Lord Campbell of Pittenweem, he was willing to just show up and take questions. He even came and debated Scottish Independence with our then-SNP MSP for over an hour in our stifling school library in front of a fairly hostile group of teenagers.

Having a decent MP made us feel seen, and represented - and greatly fuelled my own interest in the subject. The accessibility of British politics is one of its hidden strengths.

I think it’s really important that we don’t let this incident kill that culture of relative access - and face-to-face accountability, which has done so much for local issues and political involvement.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2021, 03:06:31 PM »

Whenever the Queen seems frail, I look at Charles and the constitutional and media chaos that will surround the succession. The fights over whether Camilla should be Queen, the gaffe-prone King, the squabbling over coronation costs and invitations. Parliament being summoned to swear fealty, etc. Another round of Diana discourse. It may be a disruptive and divisive period.

God Save The Queen indeed.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2021, 08:27:27 AM »

Williamson is now the numbers man for Jeremy Hunt, according to the Mirror. Probably tabloid gossip to some extent, but just about the only thing Williamson is good at is Tory parliamentary arithmetic - he was a pretty good Chief Whip and ran the campaigns of both May and Johnson.
Who the heck is going to prefer Jeremy Hunt (a man most known for an unfortunate rhyme with his name) over Boris ?

I don't think Hunt is seriously expected be a contender, but he might make an effective stalking horse (think Sir Anthony Meyer challenging Thatcher in 1989, or Heseltine undermining her in 1990, paving the way for Major).

He's got enough credibility to be a protest vote for jumpy Tory MPs in swing seats who think Boris is going to screw up the next election (whether that's because of sleaze, COVID, or get another scandal is yet to be seen). But once the contest is officially open, I'd expect consensus to converge around a slightly more charismatic/popular figure.

My money is still on Rishi Sunak. He's got the No. 2 job, with significant experience at the helm during a crisis, but he's also a fresher face than most in the cabinet.

Also, if YouGov is anything to go by, he's the only member of the cabinet with an approval rating that isn't underwater (Approve -36%, Disapprove -33%, Neutral - 27%)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies