UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:50:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: What should the title of this thread be
BomaJority

Tsar Boris Good Enough

This Benighted Plot

King Boris I

The Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: UK General Discussion:The Rt. Hon Alex Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, Populist Hero  (Read 283652 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« on: December 14, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »

Rumours are Reese-Mogg will be sacked in the cabinet reshuffle as Johnson goes into London Mayor mode again,

He's no longer being grabbed by the balls of the ERG so he'll be gunning for soft Brexit to alleviate feats about the economy :

All this palava for essentially accepting EU rules on goods, and hamstringing your services (although hopefully NI becomes a sort of Hong Kong for the UK to the EU in that respect, god knows it needs it...problem is bankers want to live in London, not the ing Gold Coast of Ulster)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:41:15 AM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:55:58 AM »

West Wing-itis is indeed a serious affliction of the political class in this country.

Why? It is such an overrated show. Borgen any day over it.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2020, 01:38:40 PM by Zinneke »

ukpol Twitter absolutely on fire tonight

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 05:34:11 AM »

DFID is indeed a great organization, but I also get the idea of having one minister and director for broad foreign policy. You only have to look at the Commission and the petty institutional factionalism between Trade, Devco, ECHO and the EEAS...and we're not even talking about a fully fledged foreign policy actor in the EU's case!
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 07:57:22 AM »

Anyway, this report is further proof - were it needed - that Ed M is one of the good guys.

I just cntrl Fd his name...are you saying it because he was one of the writers or is there something about him in the report?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 09:48:44 AM »

Either way anybody with political acumen would know that it would court controversy - Israel always does these days apparently - so to share it when there is an anti-Semitism report coming out is just staggeringly ignorant and self-destructive.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 02:08:19 PM »

Where does Dr "Disgraced Former Defence Secretary" Liam Fox get so much political capital from in order to get such big "contact book" gigs and now a last minute WTO Director-General candidacy? This guy is a proven crook...
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 03:58:20 PM »

Poor old Scotland. Even I don't hate the SNP that much to wish him on them.

It's a shame. He obviously thinks he's run out of places to carpet bag. But I always thought Ulster was a final place he had lined up. His brand of politics is actually not that dissimilar to the region's either!
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:17:30 AM »

So. Russia Report.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 11:23:22 AM »

A Conservative MP - reported to be a former minister and in his fifties - has been arrested on multiple charges of rape. Still in custody, name not released yet.

Quite probably won't be for legal reasons - i.e. it could identify the victim in this case. That's a criminal offence with a potential for an unlimited fine.

Surely if he's charged they'll release the name. Also if he loses the Whip (is that a publicly acknowledged act?)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »

Is the Tory demographic crisis still a theme in the party or are they confident that they haven't lost some of the younger generations? I remember when people were giving them their last rites under Cameron.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 10:01:23 AM »

Saw this on reddit and was curious as to what you guys think

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/ijayhq/a_map_the_different_catagories_of_voter_used_by/

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/pol3d_main.html
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »

i like kind yuppies as a category tho
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 09:41:36 AM »

Actually, whilst poll internals are always *always* somewhat suspect there *is* some evidence that Labour under Starmer have retaken the most ground in the "red wall" seats they famously lost last year. To win an election their vote distribution will have to become better "balanced", so grounds for cautious optimism there.

Well, the question is, why is Starmer appealing to that kind of Labour voter who voted for Boris Johnson in 2019? Why is Starmer succeeding where Corbyn failed?

It's not like Starmer is any closer to that kind of voter than Corbyn?

Ummm what? Starter hasn't promoted FSB sponsored conspiracies on international politics for a start!
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »

When talking Blairite fantasies, I tend to drift towards Liz Kendall LOTO. And laugh.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »

Why are the DUP silent over the whole thing? Is it true that there is a lot of internal factions drawing themselves up within the party?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »

Rayner 's back story is admirable but her performance today was hardly stellar from what I saw. She seemed to bounce from issue to issue.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 03:17:00 AM »

Re Westminster's attitudes to Indyref2, there's the possibility that Boris being the, er, pragmatic politician he is, could come to a realization that having 50-odd less non-Conservative seats in the Commons (among other things) might not be a bad thing.

I find one of Johnson's (few) qualities is a sense of history - so the idea that he wants to be remembered as the Tory PM who jettisoned Scotland into the hands of the EU just the Tories could win easy is somewhat pushing it
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »

Rory Stewart's dismantling of the Johnson character is something to behold :

https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/boris-johnson-tom-bower-book-review-rory-stewart/
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »

Don't have an ounce of Scottish blood in me (at least don't think so, but vaguely possible) but I actually got emotional watching that shoot out and the reactions.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 03:51:54 PM »

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 05:55:58 AM »

Starmer is obviously playing politics but as a lawyer (ok granted not a constitutional one) he needs to acknowledge that Devolution in the United Kingdom has been an institutional failure. Assymetrical federalism in general is bound to put salt in certain wounds and create discord. But Labour seem to trudge along with "that's just the way things are done around here". If Labour were to come out in support of a radical constitutional overhaul that includes an English parliament and Scottish and Northern Irish devolution being turned into symmetric, and equal, federalism, would that be such a bad idea?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 08:16:18 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 08:22:30 AM by Zinneke »

Well Northern Ireland would yes - the point is that at the very least Northern Irish politicians would have a constitutional lock on their devolution, and in exchange they don't vote in Westminster affairs ( i know such mechanisms already exist in some cases by hey ho). Similar situation for Scotland - the fact that Jo Swinson played an active role in voting to tripling English students tuition fees while negotiating zero tuition fees for Scots is absolutely scandalous.

If an English parliament was a solution to this, it would already have happened.

I disagree, and I think Starmer in this respect incarnates a tone deafness of certain ENglish people towards what causes scottish nationalism. The perception of Westminster as a rotten, outdated institution that has turned into a circus is a massive reason why Scottish nationalism is at an all time high. And yet still you have the LOTO saying how great the system Blair built 2 decades ago is. Where have the progressives gone? Where have the Burkean conservatives as opposed to blow hard reactionaries even gone?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2020, 09:53:49 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2020, 06:05:23 PM by Zinneke »

Well Northern Ireland would yes - the point is that at the very least Northern Irish politicians would have a constitutional lock on their devolution, and in exchange they don't vote in Westminster affairs ( i know such mechanisms already exist in some cases by hey ho). Similar situation for Scotland - the fact that Jo Swinson played an active role in voting to tripling English students tuition fees while negotiating zero tuition fees for Scots is absolutely scandalous.

This never happened. Tuition fees were abolished by the Scottish Parliament in a process Jo Swinson had nothing to do with.

And given that EVEL is already a thing, you seem to be tilting at windmills anyway.

Swinson was a leading member of the Scottish Liberal Democratic Party. She eventually went on to lead the Liberal Democrats.

As I said I know mechanisms exist, but it only makes the Westminster system even more complicated than it already is. A similar issue exists in Spain : no surprise that a leading cause of peripheral nationalisms in both countries is alrgely due to distrust with the central government.

Assymetrical federalism is a mistake. Either confederalism, devo max or federalism. But Starmer coming out and saying the UK Devolution model is excellent is simply wrong, and many constitutionalists and political analysts agree.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies