2020 Poll Hype Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:57:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Poll Hype Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 99
Author Topic: 2020 Poll Hype Thread  (Read 191524 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: June 03, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »

I wish people would clarify which time zones they mean when they give a time.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #601 on: June 03, 2020, 02:01:14 PM »

NBC/WSJ has been pretty silent. Haven't seen any Marist state polls, either. Last cycle they did many.
JRP1994

« Reply #602 on: June 03, 2020, 02:50:54 PM »

n1240

« Reply #603 on: June 05, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #604 on: June 07, 2020, 05:07:49 AM »

Kos has announced that Civiqs is polling Iowa and will release the results on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #605 on: June 07, 2020, 05:26:33 AM »

AZ will be Biden +7 and IA Biden +1.
Jopow
Rookie
« Reply #606 on: June 07, 2020, 08:12:35 AM »

I've been analyzing polls and I've noticed a few things:

Biden's lead isn't as big as it is advertised, and in some states where Biden is polling above Trump, Trump is winning. Many polls do not weight Party ID correctly, which has to be done so there is correct sampling. Other polls oversample an urban area (more Democrat) and some do oversample rural areas. For example, Detroit was 16% of Michigan's 2016 votes, yet a poll sampled 49% from Detroit without proper weighting.

Another point I should bring up - don't look at national polls, because that is the popular vote, which Trump lost in 2016. It is not a good indication of who is winning.

Finally, I'd like to say that polls sampling Likely Voters are better indications of the 2020 race, because that includes those who are perhaps younger and are voting for the first time. Additionally, not all registered voters will vote.
n1240

« Reply #607 on: June 07, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »

Biden's lead isn't as big as it is advertised, and in some states where Biden is polling above Trump, Trump is winning. Many polls do not weight Party ID correctly, which has to be done so there is correct sampling. Other polls oversample an urban area (more Democrat) and some do oversample rural areas. For example, Detroit was 16% of Michigan's 2016 votes, yet a poll sampled 49% from Detroit without proper weighting.

Another point I should bring up - don't look at national polls, because that is the popular vote, which Trump lost in 2016. It is not a good indication of who is winning.

Finally, I'd like to say that polls sampling Likely Voters are better indications of the 2020 race, because that includes those who are perhaps younger and are voting for the first time. Additionally, not all registered voters will vote.

Assuming you're referring to this poll that has "49% from Detroit". There is a difference between media markets and cities, the Detroit media market made up 49.7% of the Michigan electorate in 2016, so it isn't unreasonable to have a poll that has the Detroit media market at 49% (pollsters wouldn't ever weigh by area anyways, it's just demographic information they include). Good pollsters won't weigh by party ID either given how fluid that metric is (literally ask anyone from 2012 how criticizing pollsters for "oversampling" Democrats worked).
Jopow
Rookie
« Reply #608 on: June 07, 2020, 01:23:14 PM »

Assuming you're referring to this poll that has "49% from Detroit". There is a difference between media markets and cities, the Detroit media market made up 49.7% of the Michigan electorate in 2016, so it isn't unreasonable to have a poll that has the Detroit media market at 49% (pollsters wouldn't ever weigh by area anyways, it's just demographic information they include). Good pollsters won't weigh by party ID either given how fluid that metric is (literally ask anyone from 2012 how criticizing pollsters for "oversampling" Democrats worked).
Yes, that poll, I must have missed the specifics....
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #609 on: June 07, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »

Kos has announced that Civiqs is polling Iowa and will release the results on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I predict something around Trump+5. Civiqs tends to be fairly Republican friendly.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #610 on: June 07, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »

Beware the margin of error, typically 4%.

If you want to discuss 2016, then remember that polls are snapshots of what can be a changing reality. Donald Trump was able to win in part because he was able to make electoral politics seem to soil people not his supporters.

If you want to discuss 2020, then consider that Trump got away with much before February of this year that will not matter in voting in November. Guess what that means! COVID-19, high unemployment, and the President's bungled response to mass protests could be very different.

Polls from mid-May are likely to be irrelevant in November except as starting points for subsequent change in polling results.

Ordinarily it is political losers who say "the only poll that matters is the one from the ballot box". True -- but polling close to the time of the vote usually predicts that well.

As a rule I do not predict the likely direction of any polling. Polling will say far more than my prediction that either will be wrong or irrelevant. I expect stasis (look how stable the polling was for Trump until the middle of last month!) until that stasis disappears.
Jopow
Rookie
« Reply #611 on: June 08, 2020, 06:46:28 AM »

Beware the margin of error, typically 4%.

If you want to discuss 2016, then remember that polls are snapshots of what can be a changing reality. Donald Trump was able to win in part because he was able to make electoral politics seem to soil people not his supporters.

If you want to discuss 2020, then consider that Trump got away with much before February of this year that will not matter in voting in November. Guess what that means! COVID-19, high unemployment, and the President's bungled response to mass protests could be very different.

Polls from mid-May are likely to be irrelevant in November except as starting points for subsequent change in polling results.

Ordinarily it is political losers who say "the only poll that matters is the one from the ballot box". True -- but polling close to the time of the vote usually predicts that well.

As a rule I do not predict the likely direction of any polling. Polling will say far more than my prediction that either will be wrong or irrelevant. I expect stasis (look how stable the polling was for Trump until the middle of last month!) until that stasis disappears.
Very true. I think the protest response took them down and then the Trump odds rallied with the new jobs for May announced. It's been up and down the past couple months, and we haven't got to seeing Joe Biden much, which may change a few things.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #612 on: June 10, 2020, 12:45:41 PM »

LMAO! I'm sure the hacks at RCP will eagerly include it in their aggregate.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #613 on: June 10, 2020, 04:32:41 PM »

OHPI really dragging out the release of their new AZ poll..
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #614 on: June 10, 2020, 05:00:14 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #615 on: June 10, 2020, 06:54:06 PM »

I'm glad that the campaign is doing their part to inspire hope while also trying to prevent complacency.

Also, side note: I was way off with my Civiqs prediction for their Iowa poll.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #616 on: June 11, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »

New AR TalkBusiness/Hendrix College poll coming this weekend.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #617 on: June 11, 2020, 12:34:44 PM »

I guess this is the first AR poll for the 2020 election ...

My guess:

54-37-2 Trump/Biden/Others
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #618 on: June 12, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »

Iowa Poll!

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #619 on: June 12, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »

Biden +1
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #620 on: June 12, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »

Their last one was Trump+10, so that would be quite a jump.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #621 on: June 12, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »

It’s going to happen, mark my words !

+/- 2%
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #622 on: June 12, 2020, 02:58:46 PM »

I'm gonna go Trump +3. If their last poll was Trump +10, I wouldn't be surprised by a 7% swing
Jopow
Rookie
« Reply #623 on: June 12, 2020, 03:53:51 PM »

Where is the PDF for that poll? Can't find it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #624 on: June 12, 2020, 04:02:59 PM »

Scroll to the bottom of https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/11/trump-approval-favorable-ratings-break-even-iowa-poll/5000775002/.  It was Trump 51, Biden 41.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies