MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:13:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68257 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »

I quite like Markey, and would prefer Kennedy didn’t run. But having seen this thread him running and winning would be satisfying to see all the whingeing about political dynasties.

Opposing someone because they are a Kennedy is infinitely more pathetic than supporting someone because they are a Kennedy.

I don't understand why you would have such a fondness for political dynasties. I am of the viewpoint that political candidates ought to be promoted based upon their qualifications, their knowledge, and their experience, as well as their ability to generate new ideas and to take the initiative on the central issues of the times. In other words, I rate merit over birth. Someone who has worked their way up, played by the rules, and devoted themselves, ought to receive preference over someone who has everything handed to them as a silver platter. As a burgundy avatar, I would have thought that you would understand this.
JG

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2019, 04:07:10 PM »

I quite like Markey, and would prefer Kennedy didn’t run. But having seen this thread him running and winning would be satisfying to see all the whingeing about political dynasties.

Opposing someone because they are a Kennedy is infinitely more pathetic than supporting someone because they are a Kennedy.

I don't understand why you would have such a fondness for political dynasties. I am of the viewpoint that political candidates ought to be promoted based upon their qualifications, their knowledge, and their experience, as well as their ability to generate new ideas and to take the initiative on the central issues of the times. In other words, I rate merit over birth. Someone who has worked their way up, played by the rules, and devoted themselves, ought to receive preference over someone who has everything handed to them as a silver platter. As a burgundy avatar, I would have thought that you would understand this.

Exactly. A backbencher congressman with a very weak legislative record running a primary against a staunchly progressive for no other obvious reason than an opportunistic and careerist move to position himself for a presidential run would be laughed at or ripped to shred by most Democrats, if he wasn't a Kennedy. I'm not sure why we should treat him differently just because he happens to have some wonderful ancestors. This primary challenge reeks of arrogance and a sense of entitlement you usually found among people coming from political dynasties.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »

Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2019, 04:32:07 PM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »

The funny point is that as a former rather cringe Kennedy fanboy who’s now more sceptical I see both camps in a different way.

Of course Kennedy would be a no-one if he was Joe Moore but he’s not .

The Kennedy name means that Massachusetts will have another senator who gets TV slots, attention, media gigs, fundraising and all the hoopla- it’s up to people to decide if they want that, but the reality is we don’t live in a zero sum vacuum. It’s much like how Marco Rubio got a great deal of attention simply for being Cuban when everyone was obsessed with the Hispanic votes relationship with the GOP.

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »

I never cared for party infighting. Markey is a great senator and Kennedy is still young this makes no sense to me.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2019, 06:07:58 PM »

Exactly. A backbencher congressman with a very weak legislative record running a primary against a staunchly progressive for no other obvious reason than an opportunistic and careerist move to position himself for a presidential run would be laughed at or ripped to shred by most Democrats, if he wasn't a Kennedy. I'm not sure why we should treat him differently just because he happens to have some wonderful ancestors. This primary challenge reeks of arrogance and a sense of entitlement you usually found among people coming from political dynasties.

Now, I am not a progressive (and this should be obvious), but I otherwise agree with this. Even though I think Markey has been in Congress for far too long (as I'm a strong advocate of term limits), I also don't think that he should lose his seat just because Kennedy feels that it "belongs" to him by right, as a member of one of the country's most prominent and most historically significant political dynasties. Nepotism is a great political evil, and ought to be fought against. I would be as equally opposed to any attempts by Chelsea Clinton, or George P. Bush (who I know is a current officeholder, but may try to advance himself), or Donald Trump Jr., to run for political office based solely off their family names and reputations.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »

What happened to our politics being by the people and for the people?

If he’s good enough the people will elect him, if he’s not people won’t. That’s a democracy.

Why should someone “wait their turn” when they feel empowered to make a difference?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2019, 06:41:14 PM »

The Kennedy name means that Massachusetts will have another senator who gets TV slots, attention, media gigs, fundraising and all the hoopla- it’s up to people to decide if they want that, but the reality is we don’t live in a zero sum vacuum. It’s much like how Marco Rubio got a great deal of attention simply for being Cuban when everyone was obsessed with the Hispanic votes relationship with the GOP.

Bingo. The state is better off with a high profile senator like Joe Kennedy.

Kennedy & Warren - not a bad pair of Senators. In 2024 it might be Kennedy & Moulton/Presley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2019, 05:49:38 AM »

Go Markey!
96FJV
Rookie
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »

I'm curious if any Republicans will run. If not Shiva Ayyadurai is the republican nominee......that dude is nuts.
Barack Oganja

« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2019, 01:11:10 PM »

No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2019, 01:38:26 PM »

Markey is less likely to win, with Warren endorsement, since she wont be nominated
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2019, 09:45:08 PM »

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »

Gonna root for Kennedy just to see how Atlas reacts if he wins.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2019, 06:53:45 AM »

We already have 1 Ben Cardin in the Senate. Markey isnt that popular like Ben Cardin, their time have passed
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2019, 03:47:58 PM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »

JPK III is a potential future president and maintaining their appeal to the Northeastern WWC is likely to be a critical part of the Dem presidential/senate strategy going forward.  Finding the right balance between Ed Markey/Elizabeth Warren and Stephen Lynch is going to be important to holding down as much of New England as possible.  It will almost surely help Dems in the medium/long term if Kennedy gets this seat.  
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »

Kennedy campaigned with Beto, he is encouraged to run by Beto. Kennedy wont crash and burn he is rich enough to have a sustained campaign

Most donations are done on-line he has plenty of support
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2019, 11:32:50 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »

Kennedy's campaign is based on the Dems improving campaign on promise of a political takeover the Senate; AZ and CO are gone and Dems have IA, NC, GA, TX, KY, KS, AK, AL, MT and ME to takeover majority. This is the same 2008 senate class that got Dems up to 60 seats in 2008, with at least 5 seat pickups
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2019, 10:32:14 AM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2019, 05:38:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 55  
« previous next »