MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:52:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 67713 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2019, 08:14:29 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/11/joe-kennedy-ed-markey-challenge-1491098

A growing list of Democrats are becoming opposed to the idea of Kennedy challenging Markey. Chuck Schumer, along with Elizabeth Warren, Dick Durbin, Joe Manchin, and Jenne Shaheen are the most notable senate backers for Markey.

Kennedy also now has a senate backer, Kyrsten Sinema.

But generally, both the farthest Left of the party(AOC, Warren) and the farthest right of the party(Manchin) are uniting to support Markey.

I wonder why most Democrats are rallying in Markey's corner. Perhaps his decades of experience weighs upon them? And maybe some of them might have the same objections to the continuance of a moribund political dynasty, that many others have.

I think there's self-interest in discouraging challenges driven by ambition and youth the same way all European countries discourage secession movements, i.e. Spain is hostile to Scotland despite shared support for the EU because they worry about Catalonia. Plus they know and like him.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2019, 08:44:35 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/11/joe-kennedy-ed-markey-challenge-1491098

A growing list of Democrats are becoming opposed to the idea of Kennedy challenging Markey. Chuck Schumer, along with Elizabeth Warren, Dick Durbin, Joe Manchin, and Jenne Shaheen are the most notable senate backers for Markey.

But generally, both the farthest Left of the party(AOC, Warren) and the farthest right of the party(Manchin) are uniting to support Markey.

I wonder why most Democrats are rallying in Markey's corner. Perhaps his decades of experience weighs upon them? And maybe some of them might have the same objections to the continuance of a moribund political dynasty, that many others have.

Those are all possible reasons, but a likely big one is the fact that Markey has a lot of personal relationships with these senators. Sinema has only been serving for about a year, but Warren, Manchin, and all the rest have served with Markey for almost 6 years now.

Theres also the fact that its usually not a good idea to encourage primary challenges or piss off your fellow senators. There was a legitimate fear back in 2018 for many Democrats when it came to endorsing Marie Newman, and in the end, only Sanders and Gillibrand backed her.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2019, 09:27:42 PM »

Those are all possible reasons, but a likely big one is the fact that Markey has a lot of personal relationships with these senators. Sinema has only been serving for about a year, but Warren, Manchin, and all the rest have served with Markey for almost 6 years now.

Theres also the fact that its usually not a good idea to encourage primary challenges or piss off your fellow senators. There was a legitimate fear back in 2018 for many Democrats when it came to endorsing Marie Newman, and in the end, only Sanders and Gillibrand backed her.

These reasons all make sense. It does speak well of Markey that he has the support of both the progressive and the centrist factions in the Democratic Senatorial caucus, with Sinema as the exception. And hopefully, that support will help him in fending off Kennedy's challenge.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #153 on: September 12, 2019, 03:09:38 AM »

Given that everyone apparently hates political dynasties, it is interesting that all the polling has shown Kennedy far ahead.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #154 on: September 12, 2019, 08:58:41 AM »

Given that everyone apparently hates political dynasties, it is interesting that all the polling has shown Kennedy far ahead.

That's because the Kennedy name is gold in Massachusetts, just as it has been for the past seven decades.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #155 on: September 12, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2019, 10:00:33 AM by MillennialModerate »

I would say America has a whole is pretty torn on the Kennedy’s - Usually along ideological lines. The Left loves them and the right doesn’t. (The exceptions to that rule are JFK & RFK who are looked at in a favorable light by an overwhelming majority of Americans)

Massachusetts is a different story. This state LOVES the Kennedy’s. People say this is a Democratic state. It’s a Kennedy state.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #156 on: September 12, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »

Yup, fair point. Same issue: Congress has a 15% approval rating, but 90% of incumbents get reelected.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #157 on: September 12, 2019, 10:01:46 AM »

As long as Leader McConnell is in charge of Senate, nothing will get done; thus, voters will change that next yr.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #158 on: September 12, 2019, 10:49:36 AM »

They love political dynasties until they actually run or win an office. Voters are fickle and have the attention span of goldfish.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »

The Kennedy's tend to be the exception that proves this rule.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2019, 03:19:49 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »

Kennedy definitely want in on the Senate, he is close to Van Hollen, too, despite what CCM said about DSCC helping Markey, whom is a party-line vote like boring Ben Cardin.

He definitely thinks the Dems will reclaim the majority; as a result, he is ready for the filibuster reform
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2019, 10:25:16 AM »

Kennedy definitely want in on the Senate, he is close to Van Hollen, too, despite what CCM said about DSCC helping Markey, whom is a party-line vote like boring Ben Cardin.

He definitely thinks the Dems will reclaim the majority; as a result, he is ready for the filibuster reform

This was not especially coherent so I can't engage with the rest of the post, but Markey is nothing like Ben Cardin
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »

👀
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2019, 03:19:52 PM »

This was not especially coherent so I can't engage with the rest of the post, but Markey is nothing like Ben Cardin

They both dont pariicularly stand out much in the Senate, thats why Mfune almost won in 2006, but Rashurn Baker and Jealous decided to run for Gov instead of challenging Cardin in 2018.  Thats why Cardin won.

Kennedy is friends with Van Hollen, whom both of them have ties to the Kathleen Kennedy-Townseed, which is Joe Kennedy's sister. Thats why I am supporting Joe Kennedy
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »

👀

I never thought that I would actually agree with Ocasio-Cortez on something. But in all honesty, this doesn't surprise me, given that Markey is the Senate co-sponsor of her Green New Deal.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2019, 08:18:36 PM »

Thats what primary elections are for, to get the best person in office. People are free to vote for whomever they wish, but Kennedy has been leading in the polls
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2019, 06:15:37 AM »

They both dont pariicularly stand out much in the Senate, thats why Mfune almost won in 2006, but Rashurn Baker and Jealous decided to run for Gov instead of challenging Cardin in 2018.  Thats why Cardin won.

Kennedy is friends with Van Hollen, whom both of them have ties to the Kathleen Kennedy-Townseed, which is Joe Kennedy's sister. Thats why I am supporting Joe Kennedy

Kathleen Kennedy-Townsend is Joe Kennedy’s AUNT, not sister.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »

Kathleen Kennedy-Townsend is Joe Kennedy’s AUNT, not sister.
Also, Kennedy Townshed is like the Martha Coakley of Maryland.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2019, 07:53:48 AM »

👀

Okay I’m all for Kennedy now.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »

Moulton and Pressley are staying neutral for now, AOC might hold GND town halls with Markey, and some MA Dems expect Kennedy to launch any day now.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2019, 09:10:06 AM »

Both are just waiting to see if markey retires, because then they would be automatic entries.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2019, 09:10:28 AM »

Joe doesnt need AOC to campaign on his behalf, he has enormous support
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
« Edited: September 14, 2019, 09:51:12 AM by President Johnson »

I'd probably support Kennedy in that matchcup, he seems more pragmatic. Is Warren expected to make an endorsment? I doubt she'll stab Markey in the back.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »

I'd probably support Kennedy in that matchcup, he seems more pragmatic. Is Warren expected to make an endorsment? I doubt she'll stab Markey in the back.
IIRC she’s not endorsed but hinted that she prefers Markey.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies