2011 Canadian election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:59:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61098 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »

The NDP does more poorly in Northern Ontario cities as well (compared to rural areas), so maybe that has something to do with it.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »

The NDP does more poorly in Northern Ontario cities as well (compared to rural areas), so maybe that has something to do with it.

Then, rural areas are more-left wing than urban areas?

Strange. The only place where I know this pattern is Southern France. Cities voted for the right, while rural areas were left-wing strongholds.

Hashemite, could the same reasons could explain Northern Ontario?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »

I spoke to Dan Harris (we go way back to our days in ONDY, was elected in Scarborough SW) at the NDP platform launch it must have been April 10thish, anyway at that point he was confident he could win... but SSW had no incumbant and a scandal around the tory candidate... plus this was Dan's i believe 8th run at office.

there are some great maps being show over on Rabble if anyone wants too look, they don't define the poll border (which i hate) but give some great pictures... Shilly's maps are better

http://rabble.ca/babble/canadian-politics/electoral-maps-2011-federal-election-poll-poll-results

I just noticed this now... that guy must have some sort of program. The maps aren't that clear, but he sure has us beat. *sigh*. He's got pretty much the whole country covered by now.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 10:54:42 PM »

I spoke to Dan Harris (we go way back to our days in ONDY, was elected in Scarborough SW) at the NDP platform launch it must have been April 10thish, anyway at that point he was confident he could win... but SSW had no incumbant and a scandal around the tory candidate... plus this was Dan's i believe 8th run at office.

there are some great maps being show over on Rabble if anyone wants too look, they don't define the poll border (which i hate) but give some great pictures... Shilly's maps are better

http://rabble.ca/babble/canadian-politics/electoral-maps-2011-federal-election-poll-poll-results

I just noticed this now... that guy must have some sort of program. The maps aren't that clear, but he sure has us beat. *sigh*. He's got pretty much the whole country covered by now.

Clear maps are better, so, let's continue.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »

I was about to say exactly this.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2011, 11:09:52 PM »

Then, rural areas are more-left wing than urban areas?

Strange. The only place where I know this pattern is Southern France. Cities voted for the right, while rural areas were left-wing strongholds.

Hashemite, could the same reasons could explain Northern Ontario?

It's not as uncommon as one might think; it's the case in Sweden (the rural north votes for the left, whereas Stockholm votes for the right) and in many third world countries (for instance, Bangladesh). One might surmise that the rural electorate is more volatile than the urban one, because it is more homogeneous.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »

I was about to say exactly this.

Yes, let's continue.  My site will be more than just poll maps anyways Wink

But I do wonder who this Krago guy is. I've seen his maps before, but I've never met him or heard of him. Obviously he's an NDPer. 
DL
Canada

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2011, 11:44:06 PM »

Regarding this issue of whether rural areas ever vote left while cities vote right as may be the case in northern Ontario. There are some other examples in the first world (this is already common in Latin America) up until the 1980s in Saskatchewan the CCF/NDP tended to win the rural areas and to do less well in Regina and Saskatoon. But northern Ontario is a whole different situation. First the"cities" are really not very big at all (I.e. Sudbury and Thunder Bay barely have over 100,000 people) and second of all when we talk about "rural" northern Ontario we are not talking about typical rural with lots of farms and quaint villages. We are talking about resource ext ration based communities full of miners, foresters etc...many of who are unionized, plus lots of First Nations.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2011, 11:57:24 PM by Chemistry & Sleep Deprivation »

Well, the 40% NDP areas in Témiscamingue are farmland, while the rest isn't farmland. It is forestry/tourism/places for having cottages.

And if I remember well, doesn't Kirking (sp?) Lake is a NDP stronghold? It was clearly not farmland, when I went there years ago because my grandfather was hospitalised there? It seemed an industrial town?

But, that doesn't solve the question. Val-d'Or and Rouyn-Noranda are also mining and industrial cities. Clearly not farmland. (If someone ever went to Rouyn-Noranda, it would see than it is a ridiculous idea, it is impossible to have a farm there, the city in build on rock, not earth. Terrifying during thunderstorms, noise in awful.)

Edit: I forgot than there is a lot of public servants in Rouyn-Noranda.
Foucaulf
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »

It can't be too hard to automatically generate maps - all you need is to input the votes as values in a GIS and command it to colour a precinct depending on which value is the highest.

But, given there's already a map of Metro Vancouver available, would anyone want a map of Vancouver Island or the Fraser Valley first? It will definitely be easier to make.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2011, 12:23:56 AM »

It can't be too hard to automatically generate maps - all you need is to input the votes as values in a GIS and command it to colour a precinct depending on which value is the highest.

But, given there's already a map of Metro Vancouver available, would anyone want a map of Vancouver Island or the Fraser Valley first? It will definitely be easier to make.

I'm sure there'll be one on rabble soon :/

But yeah, I think we all prefer our style maps. They have poll boundaries and not giant fat riding boundaries.
trebor204
TREBOR204

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

The maps are in a PDF format, and you can zoom in for more detail.
The only problem I have is that borders for the Federal Districts are too thick.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The maps are in a PDF format, and you can zoom in for more detail.
The only problem I have is that borders for the Federal Districts are too thick.

Yeah I know... but, they're just not the same.
the506
Canada

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2011, 02:16:09 AM »

I'm almost done my national map. Should be done tomorrow.

Any requests?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:44 AM »

I'd be interested in London... more London North Centre, obviously, but generally London (and perhaps the relevant bits of Elgin - Middlesex - London, as well?).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:37 AM »

Any requests?

Yes. Can I use them for my blog? Cheesy

Geez, I sound like a broken record.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2011, 04:58:14 AM »

Any requests?
That quebec riding the NDP won on recount*
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »

Weird thing I just noticed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Northeast

How the hell did the Liberals get their best result since 1993??!! Won a fair number of polls - all in new suburban areas!
DL
Canada

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »

Weird thing I just noticed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Northeast

How the hell did the Liberals get their best result since 1993??!! Won a fair number of polls - all in new suburban areas!

I think northeast is the closest thing there in Calgary to a downscale heavily suburban immigrant riding - sort of like Scarborough-Rouge River or Bramalea Gore-Malton or parts of Surrey. When the day comes that people in calgary stop being so "tribal" in their voting patterns - it could be a target for a non-Tory candidate.
the506
Canada

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2011, 09:21:20 AM »

London:

Montmagny-L'Islet-Kamouraska-Riviere du Loup:
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »

Would a map of the BC Lower Mainland be possible?
the506
Canada

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:33 AM »

Would a map of the BC Lower Mainland be possible?

HELL NO!

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2011, 11:09:12 AM »

Interesting how the NDP support dried up past a point in that Quebec riding.

I'm wondering if, when you are done, we could get a zoomed-out overview of that entire "blob" that the Conservatives won.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »

Guelph

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »

Guelph is not as much fun as it used to be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies