Shorter Attention Spans and Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Shorter Attention Spans and Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shorter Attention Spans and Elections  (Read 879 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 02, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »

Forgive me if this isn't the right spot to place this topic but I don't know where else to put it.

It's been theorized that because of television, the internet and smart phones, that the average human attention span is decreasing rapidly. If this is true, has this has had a notable effect on politics? It does seem that the days of political hegemonies are long gone and that large swings from election to election are more common than before (I'd show this through data but I don't have the time at the moment). Could this be because of a rapidly moving news cycle, a shortened attention span and the breakdown of many political pillars that used to be the main source of information, that are now dead or dying?

If this is true, this will have profound effects on how politicians address crises.

I guess I'll leave Al or some other smart to address this topic but I'm surprised that it's never been brought up. In an age of fast flowing information and social media, shouldn't swings and political currents move faster as well?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies