2011 Canadian election maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:01:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61237 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: July 19, 2011, 11:21:56 PM »

That is excellent work, just exceptional! You've done a great job there, Shilly!

Meanwhile, remember this?

This morning I printed it out and put it side by side with Shilly's map for comparison. Amazing!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:06 PM »

Great work!

I might make a map of the Lower Mainland.

I will really be looking forward to seeing this!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:55:19 PM »

I spoke to Dan Harris (we go way back to our days in ONDY, was elected in Scarborough SW) at the NDP platform launch it must have been April 10thish, anyway at that point he was confident he could win... but SSW had no incumbant and a scandal around the tory candidate... plus this was Dan's i believe 8th run at office.

there are some great maps being show over on Rabble if anyone wants too look, they don't define the poll border (which i hate) but give some great pictures... Shilly's maps are better

http://rabble.ca/babble/canadian-politics/electoral-maps-2011-federal-election-poll-poll-results

I just noticed this now... that guy must have some sort of program. The maps aren't that clear, but he sure has us beat. *sigh*. He's got pretty much the whole country covered by now.

Clear maps are better, so, let's continue.

I was about to say exactly this.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:44 AM »

I'd be interested in London... more London North Centre, obviously, but generally London (and perhaps the relevant bits of Elgin - Middlesex - London, as well?).
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »

Someone posted an invitation to this forum on rabble, and I think I have a new favourite website.  As I've often told my long-suffering wife: I don't smoke, drink, gamble or chase women; I just like to make election maps.

My background is in Statistics and GIS, and I have worked at Elections Ontario and for two provincial electoral boundaries commissions.  I have also helped create maps for CTV and the Toronto Star.

This is what I like to do for fun.  I've been waiting for Elections Canada to release their digital boundary files and poll-by-poll results like a kid on Christmas Eve.  In addition to the last four federal elections, I have also created colour-coded poll maps for all recent provincial elections except PEI, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Saskatchewan (and I'm working on that one).

Thanks for your comments about the maps that I've posted on rabble.  I agree that the riding boundaries need to be fixed, and I'll try making a set of non-pdf maps with poll boundaries instead of the StatsCan street network file.  Here's a sample (Toronto Centre):

Thanks for the invite, and keep cool!

G'day mate! Welcome to the Forum!

Your maps are excellent! Reading what you've posted there as an introduction to yourself, I can see you'll feel right at home here!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:24:34 AM »

Poll-by-poll maps for all of Atlantic Canada are now up....

http://www.the506.com/elxnmaps/can2011/

Obviously it's still very much a work in progress, but here's a taste for now.

Exceptional Work!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »

Tommy, I've been working on Newfoundland maps and wondering a bit of the same - I think 14 seats in St John's and surrounds, all represented federally by the NDP. Of course, most are provincially PC >75%, but there's likely potential there.

Regarding PEI, the NDP didn't run in half the seats, which deflates their figures somewhat. I have a spreadsheet with the votes (and votes by poll) on my computer. I could give you their vote just in seats where they ran in about twenty minutes. Won't be substantially higher - they didn't win any seats - but will be higher nonetheless.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:25:01 PM »

Tommy, I've been working on Newfoundland maps and wondering a bit of the same - I think 14 seats in St John's and surrounds, all represented federally by the NDP. Of course, most are provincially PC >75%, but there's likely potential there.

Regarding PEI, the NDP didn't run in half the seats, which deflates their figures somewhat. I have a spreadsheet with the votes (and votes by poll) on my computer. I could give you their vote just in seats where they ran in about twenty minutes. Won't be substantially higher - they didn't win any seats - but will be higher nonetheless.

The NDP has run island-wide in the past, and PEI does have poll-by-poll records (and the whole island has whut like 300 polls?) so transferring old elections to current would not be all that hard to do.

I've only done the last election results, and it's already all available on the website, I've merely put it into a spreadsheet for ease of use.

There are 27 ridings, the fewest polls in a riding are 8 (I think riding #24) and the most polls in a riding are 8, but most seem to have 10-12, so yeah, not many polls. I'm part-way through a poll-by-poll map of PEI in Paint, but its completion is lower on my priorities than my Newfoundland map (which is not far off now).

The NDP ran in 15 of the 27 ridings last election, receiving 1,597 of the 45,952 votes cast in those ridings, or 3.48%. There were three ridings in which the NDP received more than 5% of the vote:

Charlottetown - Victoria Park (7.22%)
Kelly's Cross - Cumberland (5.37%)
Summerside - Wilmot (6.00%)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 02:08:33 AM »

Great thread to return to after a little while away from the forum (even though I seemed to have missed krago's maps). That Toronto map is really really interesting.

Perhaps the most surprising thing so far is the sharpness of the line between Vancouver South and Kingsway, which isn't that sharp of a divide either ethnically or economically, and doesn't have a straightforward strategic explanation. Just evidence of the impact of whether a party bothers to really contest a riding with a local GOTV effort, I guess.

Left wing people vote Liberal in Vancouver South. Provincially, the area is Liberal as well. You can see the mayoral race here: http://bc2009.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/2008-vanmunielections-2009-boundaries.gif which shows more of a gradual shift in the right vs left vote. (i'm in the process of making my own version of that map for my blog, among the many projects I have on the go)

Defeated Liberal incumbent... next time around, things may be different.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 11:20:45 PM »

That is some excellent work! Well done!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:29:41 AM »

Oh my goodness! That is awesome work!
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »

You are doing great work there! It's really interesting to see some of these ridings and how they broke down. I was just looking at Central Nova... it's interesting that the polls to report early in the night these past couple of elections have both been strongly NDP, whereas the majority of polls are Conservative.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:31:33 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2011, 07:33:32 PM by Smid »

506, you are awesome!

Miles - it may not necessarily be racially driven, just that like many other areas, the First Nations population votes NDP, and like in many other areas, the (white) rural areas vote Conservative. It may be demographic without being racial, if you follow my drift.

EDIT: Actually, I seem to recall (possibly Earl?) mentioning that the NDP had selected a strong candidate who was a tribal leader or something for that seat?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:32:46 PM »

My wife is from Calgary and my understanding is that your take on the Northeast is correct. I saw a Census snapshot of the provincial riding there last week and I think it had about a third born in South Asia. I'll post a link if I can find it again.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »
« Edited: August 30, 2011, 02:53:23 AM by Smid »

Miles, Elections PEI has a PDF which compares provincial and federal poll numbers. Perhaps it also has a similar comparison table?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 02:54:11 AM »

Numbers for the Northern Ontario Provincial Ridings would be nice, too...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies