2011 Canadian election maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:12:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61341 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: July 14, 2011, 10:51:17 AM »

Some goodies would be Westmount-Ville Marie, Mont Royal, Ottawa-Orleans, Ottawa-Vanier, Scarborough, the Don Valley ridings, coastal Toronto ridings, Newton—North Delta, Ahuntsic, Vancouver Centre, Lac-Saint-Louis, Winnipeg North, Labrador, Yukon and MIKR.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:00:59 PM »

Hash, what's with the username? I know North Bay is a seedy little town, but I was wondering what is making you laugh at it. I'm going to be going there in August, as I do every summer.

Inside joke related to somebody I know who's from North Bay.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »

I need to stop making fun of North Bay then. Too bad, considering that the only person I know from North Bay is a daily comedy tour.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »

Sorry to break the gloating, but returning this thread to its original intent. Here's Ottawa-Orleans.

The NDP actually won a poll! They had come close in that one in 2008. It includes a bunch of sketchy social housing in Blackburn Hamlet (which is pretty much a sh**thole).

Aside from that, little change aside from Liberal gains in Hiawatha Park (north of the 417) and Tory gains in high-growth Avalon. My own poll voted Liberal by a 10-pt margin or so.

I should have a fun riding this afternoon.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:24:33 PM »

ha. The NDP winning a poll in that riding is hilarious. We never run a serious campaign there. I'll have to do a google street view of that poll to check it out.

It's a bunch of small, poor, sketchy social housing. I think it's also quite ethnically diverse. It's not a place to take a field trip to.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

Interesting stuff in the Toronto maps. Italians in the city remained loyally Liberal, the Portuguese and Spanish went NDP. The Chinese-Cantonese were more likely to vote Liberal on the whole than the other Chinese (except in dwtn Toronto).
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »

Two more cool maps:

Ottawa-Vanier:

NDP swept Sandy Hill and much of Lowertown, and also carried Vanier and Overbrook/those places south of Montreal Rd. Vanier is historically Francophone (but increasingly multicultural) and also rather poor, and historically very much Liberal. The NDP carrying it makes sense but is telling of the Liberal rout. Lots of 3-way or close 2-way Lib-NDP races in a lot of the riding.

The Liberals did do well in Rockcliffe Park (which went Tory in 2006) again. Conservatives won Beacon Hill North (anglo suburb) and Pineview (suburb).

and Westmount:

Westmount vs. NDG/downtown. Obviously.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »

Weird thing I just noticed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Northeast

How the hell did the Liberals get their best result since 1993??!! Won a fair number of polls - all in new suburban areas!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »

Are there any other areas you're interested in?

Hey, welcome to the forum. I was wondering if you could get some maps for Ahuntsic, Bourassa, Honore-Mercier, Richmond-Arthabaska, Bas Richelieu-etc and Haute-Gaspesie-La Mitis etc. Thanks!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 12:59:46 PM »

I take it the southern end of Ahuntsic is anglo?

No, allophone. That dividing line is St. Laurent Blvd, the historical division between French and English/allophone. It's extremely marked in Papineau, where the area south of St. Laurent is very allophone. NDP did poorer with Anglos and allophones in Quebec.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »

I take it the southern end of Ahuntsic is anglo?

No, allophone. That dividing line is St. Laurent Blvd, the historical division between French and English/allophone. It's extremely marked in Papineau, where the area south of St. Laurent is very allophone. NDP did poorer with Anglos and allophones in Quebec.
I thought all of Ahuntsic was pretty much allophone. Tongue
That road being Boulevard Saint Laurent makes sense to me.

Ahuntsic is historically an old franco middle-class area. The riding as a whole is still 56% Franco and 26% non-white.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:38:28 PM »

Great stuff! Can I use your maps on my blog?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »

All Albertans I know are Liberals (or perhaps NDP), which is quite amusing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies