Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:15:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 48
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 68960 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: November 08, 2021, 06:21:57 PM »

The Foreign Ministry officially condemns yesterday’s electoral-type event in Nicaragua, saying it “did not fulfill minimum criteria for free, fair, and transparent elections”. In other news, defense minister Walter Ayala resigned after recent revelations that he had irregularly promoted a friend of Castillo’s sons. Presidential advisor Bruno Pacheco is also implicated.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #901 on: November 08, 2021, 07:52:59 PM »

Kids all over the world are in school.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #902 on: November 09, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »

The irregular promotions scandal is growing, with Castillo meeting with the heads of the different branches of the armed forces today. He hasn’t officially accepted the defense minister (Ayala)’s resignation yet.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #903 on: November 10, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2021, 02:30:39 PM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

Castillo gave a speech in Ayacucho outlining highlights from his first 100 days: Camisea gas nationalization/redistribution and the continued vaccination campaign are the main achievements he highlighted, and he proposed a vague “second agrarian reform” and increasing access to water and the Internet in poor and rural areas, as well as the classic selling the presidential airplane. He also projected that schools will return to in-person learning by March 2022.

In other news, Martín Vizcarra is about to launch a new party called “Perú Primero”. Why he has abandoned Somos Perú, with which he would be a Congressman but for his removal from the ballot due to corruption allegations, is unclear to me.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #904 on: November 14, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2021, 01:06:52 PM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

Ayala has taken back his resignation (over the apparent protests of Aníbal Torres and Hernando Cevallos). Congress will question him this Tuesday.

In other news, the Partido Morado and Somos Peru have ended their alliance/parliamentary cooperation due to political differences. Unclear to me why in particular.

Update: Ayala has fully resigned
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #905 on: November 14, 2021, 01:32:05 PM »

Castillo is commemorating today the anniversary of the deaths of Inti Sotelo and Bryan Pintado, the two young protesters whose deaths brought down the Merino government the next day. Their families are still seeking a retroactive impeachment of Merino, which would remove his presidential pension.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #906 on: November 17, 2021, 08:29:19 PM »

Juan Carrasco Millones, former interior minister, is the new defense minister. The minister of production and agriculture (Roger Inicio, part of the Vásquez cabinet) has also resigned. Congress will interpelate education minister Carlos Gallardo, not for the prior criticism from the right of being too linked to Fenate (Castillo’s rival teachers’ union) but for the recent leaking of the questions and answers to the national teachers’ exam from three of the testing locations this weekend. Gallardo has refused to cancel the exam results and says he will participate in any investigation.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #907 on: November 18, 2021, 09:28:11 PM »

Patricia Chirinos (Avanza País), second Vice President of Congress, has presented a motion to impeach Castillo, to almost no support (not even RP). The motion needs 26 signatures to be admitted (which it may get thanks to Avanza País + fujimorismo, which has not stated whether or not it’ll support it) and 52 at a later stage (unlikely) to be put up for debate, and from there it would need 87 to pass (essentially impossible at this stage).

If anyone’s curious about what the grounds for impeachment supposedly are, it’s that Castillo is performing presidential duties from an apartment rather than the presidential palace, and that he’s not being transparent about the visitors he receives.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #908 on: November 19, 2021, 03:18:08 PM »

Bruno Pacheco (the advisor implicated in the army promotions scandal) has resigned.

In other news, Cerrón and Boluarte have been publicly fighting for the past several days. Boluarte said “Pedro and Dina were used by Cerrón” to benefit his party, while Cerrón accused Boluarte of plotting against Castillo.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #909 on: November 20, 2021, 06:50:05 PM »

Fujimorismo and RP have signed onto the impeachment proposal. Still only 43 votes, not enough to  be put up for debate and less than half of the 87 needed to remove Castillo.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #910 on: November 28, 2021, 07:55:16 PM »

Massive earthquake (7.3) in Amazonas department earlier today. Thousands of homes destroyed and only a few reported hurt thus far although that number should surely rise soon.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #911 on: December 03, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »

I just read that apparently Castillo is now in hot water over his personal meetings with lobbyists at the worst possible time, given the impeachment bill.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #912 on: December 03, 2021, 10:55:44 PM »

I just read that apparently Castillo is now in hot water over his personal meetings with lobbyists at the worst possible time, given the impeachment bill.

Yes - and they’re one of the main subjects of the impeachment attempt itself (which is pretty catchall re: complaints about his administration). He’s been having tons of unregistered meetings in an apartment in Lima, trying to be the new José Mujica but just pissing a lot of people off.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #913 on: December 04, 2021, 12:23:59 AM »

Maybe he should ask for help from more experienced politicians, like Cérron, instead of telling them to pipe down and ignoring their relevance in the party and their relevance to him being president in the first place.

It’s clear Castillo is way over his head, and he’s too haughty and stubborn to preserve his ego to even ask for professional help.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #914 on: December 04, 2021, 12:01:41 PM »

Maybe he should ask for help from more experienced politicians, like Cérron, instead of telling them to pipe down and ignoring their relevance in the party and their relevance to him being president in the first place.

It’s clear Castillo is way over his head, and he’s too haughty and stubborn to preserve his ego to even ask for professional help.

Okay Mr. "Castillo won't win a second term"
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #915 on: December 04, 2021, 02:17:04 PM »

I’m sure Cerrón will be a great help with trying to defuse corruption allegations, but it’s an interesting turn you’ve made to siding with the fujimoristas.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #916 on: December 04, 2021, 02:25:14 PM »

I’m sure Cerrón will be a great help with trying to defuse corruption allegations, but it’s an interesting turn you’ve made to siding with the fujimoristas.
I have not, and neither has Cérron given that Castillo is still in office. Cérron is being very patient with a dog that is misbehaving even with him giving the dog everything possible to succeed in life, and elevated in a miraculous first place in the recent beauty pageant. Even with all the public disrespect, PL is still one united party and in no way will threats turn to reality to give the possibility of Fujimoristas a chance. 

Why have you sided with the right wing media in sacking most of Castillo’s cabinet? Why have you bought into the politicized witch-hunt against Cérron in an atmosphere which weaponizes false corruption charges to target political opponents?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #917 on: December 04, 2021, 02:47:06 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2021, 03:08:23 PM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

I have not, and neither has Cérron given that Castillo is still in office. Cérron is being very patient with a dog that is misbehaving even with him giving the dog everything possible to succeed in life, and elevated in a miraculous first place in the recent beauty pageant. Even with all the public disrespect, PL is still one united party and in no way will threats turn to reality to give the possibility of Fujimoristas a chance.  

Why have you sided with the right wing media in sacking most of Castillo’s cabinet? Why have you bought into the politicized witch-hunt against Cérron in an atmosphere which weaponizes false corruption charges to target political opponents?

“PL is one united party”? Is this a joke? 19 voted for confidence in the Vásquez cabinet and 16 - Cerrón’s faction - voted against. If they’d succeeded the country would be one vote away from a new Congressional election that would likely give the right (if not fujimorismo itself) even more power. Waldemar Cerrón said that PL is “evaluating” supporting the right’s impeachment against Castillo just a few days ago. I opposed Bellido as prime minister because he was a virulent homophobe and I’m sorry you felt some sort of reflexive need to support him because he’s on your guy’s side (I certainly don’t feel that way with Castillo). I oppose him because he’s corrupt, unpopular, and a drag on the left. I don’t get why you’re so deeply invested in defending them or why you think Cerrón has a monopoly on the left.

Anyway, Castillo made a national address several days ago in which he claimed that the apartment meetings were “of a personal nature”, which is obviously not true. The impeachment is still unlikely to pass at this point but is gaining steam after widespread criticism of the speech. If the center and cerronismo join in they’ll have the votes to get him out - the 19 PL members who voted for Vásquez plus Castillo’s other allies (JP, PM, SP - and this is assuming they all vote against it) only makes 32, which is two less than the number needed to block an impeachment.

In better news, the health ministry recently announced that a million Covid booster shots have been applied thus far. The continued and orderly vaccination campaign has been one of the major bright spots of a chaotic administration.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #918 on: December 04, 2021, 03:10:37 PM »

“PL is one united party”? Is this a joke? 19 voted for confidence in the Vásquez cabinet and 16 - Cerrón’s faction - voted against. If they’d succeeded the country would be one vote away from a new Congressional election that would likely give the right (if not fujimorismo itself) even more power. Waldemar Cerrón said that PL is “evaluating” supporting the right’s impeachment against Castillo just a few days ago. I opposed Bellido as prime minister because he was a virulent homophobe and I’m sorry you felt some sort of reflexive need to support him because he’s on your guy’s side. I oppose him because he’s corrupt, unpopular, and a drag on the left. I don’t get why you’re so deeply invested in defending them or why you think Cerrón has a monopoly on the left.
If PL wasn’t, it would have broken up already.

Cérron does not have a monopoly, but shutting him out has led to Castillo throwing out many more cabinet members due to a hyperactive smear campaign and has led him to make gaffes and misstep like him meeting with people at this apartment. It is unprofessional and harmful to the effectiveness of his government and entirely a self-own by sidelining all those with effective political experience in his party.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #919 on: December 04, 2021, 03:41:42 PM »

“PL is one united party”? Is this a joke? 19 voted for confidence in the Vásquez cabinet and 16 - Cerrón’s faction - voted against. If they’d succeeded the country would be one vote away from a new Congressional election that would likely give the right (if not fujimorismo itself) even more power. Waldemar Cerrón said that PL is “evaluating” supporting the right’s impeachment against Castillo just a few days ago. I opposed Bellido as prime minister because he was a virulent homophobe and I’m sorry you felt some sort of reflexive need to support him because he’s on your guy’s side. I oppose him because he’s corrupt, unpopular, and a drag on the left. I don’t get why you’re so deeply invested in defending them or why you think Cerrón has a monopoly on the left.
If PL wasn’t, it would have broken up already.

Cérron does not have a monopoly, but shutting him out has led to Castillo throwing out many more cabinet members due to a hyperactive smear campaign and has led him to make gaffes and misstep like him meeting with people at this apartment. It is unprofessional and harmful to the effectiveness of his government and entirely a self-own by sidelining all those with effective political experience in his party.

The apartment meetings have been going on since the beginning of his presidency - he literally announced that he wouldn’t be doing business in the Casa de Pizarro in his inaugural address! It wasn’t like Cerrón was the angel on his left shoulder telling him to not be good at things there that he just suddenly decided to stop listening to, while Anahí Durand or whoever was the devil. And it’s the most facile kind of political analysis to say “well, this party is still one party so it’s a United Party”. It’s been beset by infighting since God knows when. Acción Popular is more united than PL because at least they vote together consistently, but they obviously have factions as well (see Lescano vs. Maricarmen Alva).
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #920 on: December 06, 2021, 02:22:27 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2021, 10:35:38 AM by Jamás tuve una amistad con usted. »

The cerronista faction of PL, which will be key to any potential impeachment vote, is planning to vote against this one - even Bellido, one of the most hardline members (and speculated by Katy Ugarte of the teachers’ faction to be a potential vote in favor) has announced that he is leaning against it. PL has over 1/4 of Congress, which is enough to block any impeachment attempt if they vote as one. If they don’t Castillo would need to rely on the left (JP - against) and center-left (PM - against as far as I can tell, kind of their thing at this point, and SP - split), which as discussed earlier also makes 1/4 when combined with the teachers’ faction, but which he is also struggling to keep ahold of.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #921 on: December 08, 2021, 07:50:54 AM »

The impeachment attempt has failed on a motion to bring it up for debate in Congress. Only FP, RP, and Avanza País voted in favor, along with two members of APP and one from Podemos Perú. Castillo is weakened but not done.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #922 on: December 08, 2021, 04:38:56 PM »

Well no s•••, why would Cérron break his own party and join the right.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #923 on: December 08, 2021, 05:52:42 PM »

I don’t know bud, why did he do it the last time?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #924 on: December 08, 2021, 07:43:51 PM »

I don’t know bud, why did he do it the last time?
There is such a thing called posturing and knowing when to virtue signal when nothing will occur in the art of politics. Flexing now and dividing the party is a dumb move, so it did not occur.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies