Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:29:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 48
Author Topic: Peruvian Elections and Politics: Boluarte era, political crisis continues  (Read 68236 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: July 25, 2021, 10:55:51 AM »
« edited: July 26, 2021, 11:33:47 AM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

In Congressional news, there are (as of now) three lists for leadership (IIRC the top two will advance to a runoff if no list achieves a majority of 66). One is the Renovación Popular list, led by Jorge Montoya and including a bunch of other RP members (the party has 12 in total), one is a center-right list led by Maricarmen Alva of Acción Popular (the right wing, not the Lescano wing which has about 8 members of Congress) and including Avanza País, APP, and Podemos Peru (totaling 43 votes among all parties), and the third is a left-wing/center-left led by José Jerí of Somos Peru (Vizcarra’s party; Jerí is Vizcarra’s replacement after the latter was banned from public office for the Vacunagate scandal) and including Juntos por el Perú, Perú Libre, and the Partido Morado (51 votes).

Apparently the center-right list tried to incorporate Montoya and RP into theirs, but Montoya refused to be anything but first on the list (i.e. candidate for speaker) and AP threatened to vote for the PL list if Alva wasn’t first. Fuerza Popular has not said anything either way.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #801 on: July 26, 2021, 07:56:02 AM »

Update: FP supports the center-right list, so Maricarmen Alva (who supported Merino and still does) has the votes to become president of Congress and a possible future president.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #802 on: July 26, 2021, 11:29:50 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2021, 11:33:02 AM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

The center-left list has been excluded due to the Partido Morado not forming an official parliamentary group (five members are needed and they have three). They joined with Somos Perú after presenting their list but the list still wasn’t accepted. Flor Pablo (the PM member on the list) moved to override the parliamentarian and include the list but was defeated 79-49.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #803 on: July 26, 2021, 12:47:45 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2021, 01:00:41 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

List 2 has just reached 66 votes, Maricarmen Alva elected speaker. Supporters of the excluded list cast blank ballots.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #804 on: July 28, 2021, 11:01:09 AM »

The ceremony is today, in about an hour. Swearing in of the PM has been delayed to tomorrow and the rest of the cabinet to Friday.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #805 on: July 28, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
« Edited: July 28, 2021, 12:02:41 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

He really did it, the absolute madman. Some controversy over the new Congress not letting Castillo into the building for the ceremony.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #806 on: July 28, 2021, 12:08:34 PM »

Begins his speech by remembering the Inca Empire, the colonial era, and the Tupac Amaru revolt.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #807 on: July 28, 2021, 12:18:00 PM »

Lots of focus on fighting the pandemic and constructing hospitals, now he’s on to the economy - “respecting private property, but putting the interests of the nation first”. Again denying any plans for expropriations.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #808 on: July 28, 2021, 12:23:52 PM »

He is wearing his hat, by the way, and a similar jacket to Evo Morales’s.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #809 on: July 28, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2021, 12:30:46 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Cracking down on megaminería and supporting local input in economic development. More money for poor families ($178 USD each). and regional governments.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #810 on: July 28, 2021, 12:50:09 PM »

Mandatory military service for NEETs.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #811 on: July 28, 2021, 12:58:39 PM »

Mentions “sustainable mining” and carbon neutrality by 2050 in the same breath.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #812 on: July 28, 2021, 01:05:42 PM »

So, pretty standard Latin American left-wing #populist Purple heart stuff so far, with some "don't worry guys I'm not Maduro" thrown in?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #813 on: July 28, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »

So, pretty standard Latin American left-wing #populist Purple heart stuff so far, with some "don't worry guys I'm not Maduro" thrown in?

Pretty much, nothing out of character (mandatory military service certainly has its appeal among certain strands of the #populist left). Although I thought the opening of his speech was really beautiful and managed to rise to the occasion of the bicentennial and his role in it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #814 on: July 29, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 06:48:46 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Guido Bellido is the new PM, just announced at an event in Ayacucho. Opposition to Najar from feminist organizations had intensified in the past few days and I guess Castillo wants to give a message of separation from Cerrón. I…think he’s a member of Congress for PL?

Update: Bellido is close to Cerrón (about half the PL congressional caucus is more cerronista party people and half is castillista teacher’s union people, and he’s in the first half) and defended him against Vero Mendoza early on in the second round, but other than that I can’t find much information about him.

Update 2: Bellido is currently being formally investigated for apology for terrorism after making comments in support of Sendero leader Edith Lagos and saying that Sendero members “wrongly took a path” because “the country was in a disaster”.

Update 3: Virulently homophobic. Sadly Chabelita Cortez (popular JP congresswoman and former sanitation worker) is still defending him.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #815 on: July 29, 2021, 02:37:15 PM »

The rest of the cabinet will be announced tonight. Trying to get his first no confidence vote in before he can dissolve Congress?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #816 on: July 29, 2021, 03:15:18 PM »

Uruguayan foreign affairs ministry casually throwing out that academic and former guerrillero (against the first Belaúnde government) Héctor Béjar will be in foreign affairs.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #817 on: July 29, 2021, 06:38:43 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 09:53:10 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Various sources (La Republica, El Comercio) saying Francke will no longer be finance minister after the designation of Bellido. Good for him, I wouldn’t want to be associated with someone like that and it looks almost as if Castillo is trying to go for a no confidence vote. So much for Humala 2.0.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #818 on: July 29, 2021, 08:37:17 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 09:15:51 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Cevallos, Juan Cadilla (PL education advisor and teachers’ union leader), and Anahí Durand (sociologist and JP member), all choices seen as likely, look to be confirmed for health, education, and the women’s ministry. JP congressman Roberto Sánchez for foreign commerce and tourism.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #819 on: July 29, 2021, 11:43:31 PM »

cautious optimism from me.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #820 on: July 29, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2021, 11:49:51 PM by SR GARBIEL BORIC »

Not from me, not for someone who has more nice things to say about Shining Path than about gay people heading up the cabinet. I’m most optimistic about him being sacked ASAP and Castillo getting a new cabinet.

Full cabinet sworn in, except for finance and justice. Dina Boluarte is Minister for Development and Social Inclusion, poet and former indigenista presidential candidate Ciro Gálvez is Cultures Minister.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #821 on: July 30, 2021, 12:03:31 AM »

The morados - one of Castillo’s few allies in Congress - came out against Bellido as PM. If you want Castillo to actually make change, you should be pessimistic tonight. This is total devotion to his single biggest moral and political weakness - Vladimir Cerrón - and alienation of his political allies and the moderate (and even many leftist) supporters that gave him the presidency.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #822 on: July 30, 2021, 01:12:27 AM »

Not from me, not for someone who has more nice things to say about Shining Path than about gay people heading up the cabinet. I’m most optimistic about him being sacked ASAP and Castillo getting a new cabinet.

Full cabinet sworn in, except for finance and justice. Dina Boluarte is Minister for Development and Social Inclusion, poet and former indigenista presidential candidate Ciro Gálvez is Cultures Minister.
I forgot about shining path, yeah nvm
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #823 on: July 30, 2021, 01:55:49 AM »

I forgot about shining path, yeah nvm

I think the best hope now is that this cabinet gets thrown out and replaced (a vote of no confidence in the PM means the firing of the whole cabinet) and Castillo maneuvers another confidence vote on some other issue so we can get a new Congress that’s not dominated by the right.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #824 on: July 30, 2021, 02:25:37 AM »

PL party Congress is going on rn. Hopefully some time soon after it’s finished we should have the cabinet ready (although Cevallos in health is all but confirmed, Najar looks strong for PM, and Francke still seems the most likely for finance).

What are Cevallos, Najar, and Francke like?

Najar is Cerrón’s professed candidate for PM, PL guy since the party’s founding and formerly of UPP (but not the etnocacerista version, more the Humala pre-hoja de ruta version). He spent a long time trying to get out of paying child support to the daughter he had with a 14-year-old.
WTF ? Shouldn't he be breaking big rocks into smaller rocks in a prison somwehre instead of running for PM ?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 48  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies