Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 06:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 565 566 567 568 569 [570] 571 572 573 574 575 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 923720 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14225 on: September 11, 2022, 03:28:49 PM »
« edited: September 11, 2022, 03:59:29 PM by Torie »

"In Kherson, the RUS actually shortened the lines of defense so as to be within range of their own artillery from the eastern bank of the Dnieper. I am talking about a 5-10 km retreat towards Chersoń. These are the effects of the problem with the supply of artillery ammunition."

That ties in with my post above, except this one has the whole line dropping back.

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=469771.msg8761162#msg8761162

"    So if the RU army is is retreating to have artillery cover from the other side of the river, they face two problems.
    First of all, they get squeezer in between the AFU and a river. That cant be good.
    — Def Mon (@DefMon3) September 11, 2022

This actually sounds like a retreat to me. The Russians would do that with the cover of massive amount of artillery, so they need to be closer to the Dnipro to do that."

This is getting over the old man's head a bit. The RU needs to get to the other side of the river and abandon Kherson in two installments, once in the dark of night to get within the range of the RU big guns across the river, and then they can get their asses across the river in installment 2 bit by bit over the pontoon bridges that Ukraine will be shooting at. Is that right?

And just how does that work if the guns Ukraine is using on the pontoons is outside the range of the RU guns across the river? I get it that it will slow Ukraine down doing hand to hand combat within range of the Russian guns across the river, but I think the idea is to shoot at the pontoons instead. Then the RU leaves most of their equipment behind, and the Russians if need be can just swim across assuming they are in good enough shape to do that.

Haven't we seen this movie before, like say yesterday and earlier today?

The good news for the Russians is that they have a shorter defense perimeter. The bad news is that their guys will be without much equipment.

PS: Reading the text of that amazing and most moving Zelensky message to Putin, I have concluded that he had two fathers, Winston Churchill and Moses. Between the forces of good and evil, Zelensky and Putin, a nation has been annealed into something that will never be broken, and forever outside Russia's orbit.

I wonder how Putin will enjoy his new role as a subordinate of Xi.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14226 on: September 11, 2022, 03:29:28 PM »

"In Kherson, the RUS actually shortened the lines of defense so as to be within range of their own artillery from the eastern bank of the Dnieper. I am talking about a 5-10 km retreat towards Chersoń. These are the effects of the problem with the supply of artillery ammunition."

On that note GMLRS are likely increasingly coming into play for Ukraine.

Link to NYT article from 9/9/22 below:

General Milley said on Thursday that the Pentagon had given “thousands” of GMLRS rockets to Kyiv, but the exact number fired by Ukrainian forces is unclear.

Ukraine had soldiers who were experienced in using artillery rockets, and they quickly mastered both the HIMARS and the GMLRS. The soldiers took advantage of the launcher’s speed — they were able to drive quickly to new targets, fire and reload fast, and drive away before Russian artillery could target their position.

The American rockets had a greater range than that of the Soviet-era weapons the Ukrainian soldiers had used before, and soon they were able to attack targets Russia had believed were safely out of range, like arms depots and command posts.

The attacks on command facilities have kept Russian leaders on the move and have disrupted their communications, making it more difficult for them to direct combat operations.

And now, Ukrainian soldiers are using the GMLRS to attack bridges behind enemy troops near the southern city of Kherson, leaving the Russians with fewer ways to escape.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/09/us/ukraine-weapons-rockets.html
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14227 on: September 11, 2022, 03:32:53 PM »

The usual Russian response to military failure, targeting civilian infrastructure:

Blackouts have been reported in large parts of eastern Ukraine as electricity and water infrastructure has been attacked. As your post acknowledges, individual sets of missile attacks like this are the norm, but not at this scale (at least since the first phase).

My guess is that this is the missile tantrum I predicted (meant to console the ultranationalists like Girkin), but it might disrupt logistics enough in the short term to allow the collapsing front line to stabilise. Attacks on this kind of infrastructure are not inherently war crimes and can have military value - the US used them in Iraq to cause confusion, but it was able to follow this up with a coordinated air campaign which Russia doesn't seem to be capable of.

Let's hope the damage can be repaired in good order and that aid is stepped up (including humanitarian to help with this).

Looks like this might also be causing blackouts within Russia itself...

So they used one of their few remaining cruise missiles to turn off the lights not only in the enemy’s city but there’s too? N-D chess!
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14228 on: September 11, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »

The usual Russian response to military failure, targeting civilian infrastructure:

Blackouts have been reported in large parts of eastern Ukraine as electricity and water infrastructure has been attacked. As your post acknowledges, individual sets of missile attacks like this are the norm, but not at this scale (at least since the first phase).

My guess is that this is the missile tantrum I predicted (meant to console the ultranationalists like Girkin), but it might disrupt logistics enough in the short term to allow the collapsing front line to stabilise. Attacks on this kind of infrastructure are not inherently war crimes and can have military value - the US used them in Iraq to cause confusion, but it was able to follow this up with a coordinated air campaign which Russia doesn't seem to be capable of.

Let's hope the damage can be repaired in good order and that aid is stepped up (including humanitarian to help with this).
Zelensky's response:

"Cold, hunger, darkness and thirst are not as frightening and deadly for us as your friendship and brotherhood."

Holy s*** that is an all-time quote.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #14229 on: September 11, 2022, 03:46:01 PM »

Russian positions now look like USSR positions before the Second Battle of Kharkov
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #14230 on: September 11, 2022, 03:47:31 PM »

If Russia fully commits, 0.1%. They can make it a costly victory tho, if their chain of command or supply lines don't get cut.

/snip
Didn't age well.

I'm willing to bet half of this thread is nothing but badly aged takes
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14231 on: September 11, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »

If Russia fully commits, 0.1%. They can make it a costly victory tho, if their chain of command or supply lines don't get cut.

/snip
Didn't age well.

I'm willing to bet half of this thread is nothing but badly aged takes

Yep.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14232 on: September 11, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »

It seems Russia's retaliation has all of unoccupied Ukraine without power

That should just increase the Ukrainians’ resolve. If Russians are doing this to them now, imagine what they will be doing to them if they are able to overrun enough of their country. And if they are able to do that, imagine what they then will do.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14233 on: September 11, 2022, 04:03:29 PM »

Russian positions now look like USSR positions before the Second Battle of Kharkov

And they got spanked like the little bitches they were. Pushed almost to the caucuses.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14234 on: September 11, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »

Two power facilities illuminated all of Ukraine? That doesn't make any sense to me. I don't trust that image.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #14235 on: September 11, 2022, 04:06:51 PM »

Two power facilities illuminated all of Ukraine? That doesn't make any sense to me. I don't trust that image.

That's because the image is fake.
Omega21

« Reply #14236 on: September 11, 2022, 04:19:40 PM »

Not stopping yet, Kharkov channels report new arrivals by the minute

Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14237 on: September 11, 2022, 04:31:12 PM »

That should just increase the Ukrainians’ resolve. If Russians are doing this to them now, imagine what they will be doing to them if they are able to overrun enough of their country. And if they are able to do that, imagine what they then will do.

I am 100% confident this is just a photoshop of the Earth at Night composite that NASA did like a decade ago.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_earth_at_night.jpg
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #14238 on: September 11, 2022, 04:35:20 PM »

I am 100% confident this is just a photoshop of the Earth at Night composite that NASA did like a decade ago.

Apologies if that is the case
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14239 on: September 11, 2022, 04:41:56 PM »

Apologies if that is the case

Accepted if and only if you reveal the provenance of the fake image. And of course it's fake because it is at once too perfect and a very inefficient way to power a very large nation. It would be like Niagra Falls powering the entire east coast.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14240 on: September 11, 2022, 04:49:52 PM »

The claims on what was hit in the missile strike(s) vary and may be confused with the oblasts affected. At least one large power plant in Kharkiv was hit, which might have had the potential to affect power supply in other oblasts and Belgorod.

There are also claims about restoration of power everywhere it was affected, although most of them do not mention Kharkiv. We will find out how true they are soon enough, but this data from a few hours ago would indicate power has been mostly restored everywhere but Kharkiv:

The Kyiv Post claims the strike(s) delayed trains from Odesa and Kyiv to Kharkiv. This might have delayed the current Ukrainian offensive, but if so, probably only for a few hours.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14241 on: September 11, 2022, 04:51:00 PM »

As if losing its status as a world superpower after the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact wasn't enough, Russia is done as a Great Power too -its unmitigated failure in Ukraine has merely sealed the deal:

The Russian Army Is Losing A Battalion Every Day As Ukrainian Counterattacks Accelerate
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14242 on: September 11, 2022, 05:21:09 PM »

Now that Ukraine has demonstrated its capability to, in theory, win the war it has stoked a new political debate in Germany to supply the country with further weapons systems, up to and including the Leopard 2 main battle tank. The downside is, as usual, that we are gonna debate this for the next couple of weeks and when a decision is finally reached it will take another three months or so until the first tanks actually reach Ukraine, owing in large parts to an inefficient military bureaucracy and a generally substandard defence minister.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14243 on: September 11, 2022, 05:25:40 PM »

As if losing its status as a world superpower after the collapse of the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact wasn't enough, Russia is done as a Great Power too -its unmitigated failure in Ukraine has merely sealed the deal:

The Russian Army Is Losing A Battalion Every Day As Ukrainian Counterattacks Accelerate

China can’t also be happy about this. Both big world evils show their militaries are not on par with the US.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14244 on: September 11, 2022, 05:30:07 PM »

China can’t also be happy about this. Both big world evils show their militaries are not on par with the US.
China might not be unhappy. If Russia is weakened enough, then Russia is minted as a Chinese client state.
A weakened Russia would be good for the world. But be careful what you wish for.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14245 on: September 11, 2022, 05:33:07 PM »

Now that Ukraine has demonstrated its capability to, in theory, win the war it has stoked a new political debate in Germany to supply the country with further weapons systems, up to and including the Leopard 2 main battle tank. The downside is, as usual, that we are gonna debate this for the next couple of weeks and when a decision is finally reached it will take another three months or so until the first tanks actually reach Ukraine, owing in large parts to an inefficient military bureaucracy and a generally substandard defence minister.

Do Germans feel any sense of embarrassment about this? I have never understood very well my Teutonic cousins, and still don't.
Omega21

« Reply #14246 on: September 11, 2022, 05:39:47 PM »

Do Germans feel any sense of embarrassment about this? I have never understood very well my Teutonic cousins, and still don't.

Neither the US nor the UK have supplied main battle tanks to Ukraine (despite far larger stocks), so not really a valid point in this particular regard.

Feel free to critize other (lack of) deliveries though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14247 on: September 11, 2022, 05:50:57 PM »

Neither the US nor the UK have supplied main battle tanks to Ukraine (despite far larger stocks), so not really a valid point in this particular regard.

Feel free to critize other (lack of) deliveries though.

It is obvious to me that the US and Ukraine are in each other's basements as it were, planning this out together, almost hour by hour now, the US spy capabilities surprisingly awesome, along with the hardware. Thank God, yes thank God so says this atheist, that Biden is POTUS rather than Trump.  I bow my head over that in thanks.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14248 on: September 11, 2022, 05:52:25 PM »

Having lived in Germany a couple times back in the early / mid '90s, I certainly understand the reticence when it comes to providing significant and advanced and potentially offensive weapons systems to other countries.

Took Joschka Fischer, who was in an SPD-GREEN Coalition GVT in '99 to support German military intervention in the former Yugoslavian Wars, while meanwhile there had long been controversy regarding exporting German military arms and equipment to Turkey to wage their genocidal war against the Kurds.

I remember way back some 25 years ago the slogan: " Deutsche Waffen, deutsches Geld, morden mit in aller Welt!" being chanted at street demos, of which I might have attended a few back in the dayz...

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14249 on: September 11, 2022, 05:53:37 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2022, 06:04:41 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

State TV starts to draw closer to reality. Negotiations or mobilisation?

Also featuring criticism of the intelligence services. Aligns with Kadyrov claiming Putin must have been misinformed by someone. The fear of windows appears to be waning.
Pages: 1 ... 565 566 567 568 569 [570] 571 572 573 574 575 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies