Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:10:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 193244 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2250 on: February 18, 2022, 08:41:49 PM »

Ahem

And they will collapse again when they choose as Stockwell Day-type nut as their leader.
Talking of Stockwell Day, today, he compared Ottawa to the Tienanmen Place.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2251 on: February 19, 2022, 01:58:12 AM »

Ahem

Wow, that's a pretty big movement. Although it probably reflects the government's handling of recent events more than the CPC getting more popular.

Interestingly, the CPC+PPC vote in that poll is 45%...I'm a little skeptical of that, considering the Canadian right hasn't won that big a share of the vote since 1984.

Icing on the cake: The Liberals would still win the election according to Mainstreet's projections. I'm guessing they're just plugging in current numbers into 2021 breakdowns, and real elections don't work like that. But man, the fact that it's mathematically possible to win an election by 8 points but lose the seat count by 20 is...something. Conservatives need to figure out how to distribute their vote more efficiently, and Liberals need to be less smug talking about how the electoral college distorts the popular.

joke tier poll. canada is a messed up place another election would yeild the same 33-31% result with libs 155 ish and tories 123 ish
Makes sense. The majority of Canadians are glad to see Ottawa FINALLY being cleaned up. Trudeau is the one doing it since Ottawa and Doug Ford refused to.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2252 on: February 19, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »

Good to see the police have been cracking down And finally arresting these protesters. This is akin to the CHAZ  Neighborhood take over in Seattle which, although it started off peacefully enough, crossed the lis cross the line from is legitimate non violent demonstration 2 needing needing removed weeks before the police stepped in period good to see that there's apparently been little violence thus far. Fingers crossed.

For what it's worth, I've I've switched my mind again and believed that, to a degree, the freezing of bank accounts  Is as probably legitimate, assuming the money is refunded  Down the road. Over half of the money coming in coming in to support the 10% trucker whiner convoy is convoy has come from the US rather than Canada. Now tell me those of you who cried "fascism" at trido, if you learned that suddenly over half of the donations to support protests by BOM or antifa or coming from China, if Is trump or even Biden froze those financial transactions, would you be saying that was unreasonable? Now put yourself in the shoes of Canada which has always,  For good reason, needed to fight for it's cultural, Is economic, and even political independence from from it's vastly Is more populated and influential neighbor to the South.

On a side note, Fox News's coverage of the convoy is even more disingenuous and political Even for usual for them.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2253 on: February 19, 2022, 05:37:20 PM »

Ahem

Wow, that's a pretty big movement. Although it probably reflects the government's handling of recent events more than the CPC getting more popular.

Interestingly, the CPC+PPC vote in that poll is 45%...I'm a little skeptical of that, considering the Canadian right hasn't won that big a share of the vote since 1984.

Icing on the cake: The Liberals would still win the election according to Mainstreet's projections. I'm guessing they're just plugging in current numbers into 2021 breakdowns, and real elections don't work like that. But man, the fact that it's mathematically possible to win an election by 8 points but lose the seat count by 20 is...something. Conservatives need to figure out how to distribute their vote more efficiently, and Liberals need to be less smug talking about how the electoral college distorts the popular.

I too am skeptical.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2254 on: February 19, 2022, 07:36:19 PM »

I feel Things like CanCon regs etc. should be *strengthemed*, not weakened... unless the maple syrupers do want to join the USA?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2255 on: February 19, 2022, 09:23:37 PM »

I feel Things like CanCon regs etc. should be *strengthemed*, not weakened... unless the maple syrupers do want to join the USA?

The maple syrupers by and large don't want to join the USA, that's an extremely fringe view held by some Wexiteers, and some people like JJ McCullough with a really niche worldview. But it's a little disingenuous to pretend that (English-) Canadian culture is a vastly different thing than American culture (English is an important distinction, because French-Canadians are obviously very distinct).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying English-Canadian culture doesn't exist or that Canada is the same as the US. There are obviously things that distinguish us from the US and those differences can be reflected in pop culture too. Some shows like Trailer Park Boys for example are distinctly Canadian. But it's not like there's one "American" culture either. The cultural differences between, say, Minnesota and Alabama are greater than the differences between Minnesota and Manitoba. In a sense, "English-Canadian culture" exists on a continuum of a broader Anglo North American culture, and I'm not sure CanCon is an effective way to challenge this reality, or even that this reality should be challenged.
laddicus finch

« Reply #2256 on: February 19, 2022, 09:30:27 PM »

In fact, even my Trailer Park Boys example falls into a general North American theme. The whole idea of typical "white trash" dudes in a trailer park, getting up to shenanigans, isn't unique to Nova Scotia or even Canada. You could set a similar show in literally any of the 50 states, and you'd have to change the accents, in-jokes etc, but the general theme would stay the same. But I don't think you could set that show in England for example, because it wouldn't really make sense, the kind of "trailer trash" culture it mocks is a pretty North American thing.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2257 on: February 19, 2022, 10:43:11 PM »

The maple syrupers by and large don't want to join the USA, that's an extremely fringe view held by some Wexiteers, and some people like JJ McCullough with a really niche worldview. But it's a little disingenuous to pretend that (English-) Canadian culture is a vastly different thing than American culture (English is an important distinction, because French-Canadians are obviously very distinct)

-Snip-

Wait, what. He's one of my favorite Canadian Youtubers and I know he leans moderate / economically liberal, but I've never seen him express that opinion?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2258 on: February 19, 2022, 11:07:26 PM »

In Canadian Electoral politics news, the Sasketchwan NDP yet again proves to be in total disarray. They lost a by-election to hold their northern seat of Athabasca which has never been won by a conservative party before. Much of this is down to turnout as Indegenious turnout traditional crashes during by-elections which due to the very strane polarization of northern Canada dooms the NDP chances. The Sask Party won the seat with 51% of the vote on 24% turnout .Nevertheless, it Scott Moe has decided to very much gloat about his victory.

Yup, more evidence of Saskatchewan being the most conservative province now.  The NDP has a path to victory in Alberta, it's an almost impossible task in Sask at this point.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #2259 on: February 20, 2022, 12:12:43 PM »

Wait, what. He's one of my favorite Canadian Youtubers and I know he leans moderate / economically liberal, but I've never seen him express that opinion?

JJ McCullough, moderate or liberal? Now I've heard everything.

As for the other point, he seems to believe there is no meaningful difference between Canada and the US and we're just a hanger-on to a broader American culture or what have you.

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2260 on: February 20, 2022, 01:10:56 PM »

As for the other point, he seems to believe there is no meaningful difference between Canada and the US and we're just a hanger-on to a broader American culture or what have you.

JJ McCullough is pretty much far-right by Canadian critaria, as he believes in ideas that are quite out there (like anti-bilinguism and him being furiously anti-Quebec).
laddicus finch

« Reply #2261 on: February 20, 2022, 01:45:00 PM »

The maple syrupers by and large don't want to join the USA, that's an extremely fringe view held by some Wexiteers, and some people like JJ McCullough with a really niche worldview. But it's a little disingenuous to pretend that (English-) Canadian culture is a vastly different thing than American culture (English is an important distinction, because French-Canadians are obviously very distinct)

-Snip-

I don't think he would categorize himself as moderate/economically liberal lol. He's not in the "the US should annex Canada" crowd, but I'm pretty sure I've heard him express support for Canada eventually joining the US in some unspecified time in the future.
laddicus finch

« Reply #2262 on: February 20, 2022, 01:50:06 PM »

JJ McCullough is pretty much far-right by Canadian critaria, as he believes in ideas that are quite out there (like anti-bilinguism and him being furiously anti-Quebec).

JJ McCullough is not remotely "far-right" lol. His views on bilingualism are unusually right-wing, and his obsession with the US is unusual (though by no means far-right). But most of his other takes on politics are pretty much those of a mainstream Conservative in Canada. Unless you believe that the CPC itself is "far-right", or that one's views on Quebec and the French language are the only indicators of their politics, he's not far-right
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #2263 on: February 20, 2022, 02:05:25 PM »

I dunno, this is a guy who has said in the past that the BC NDP, the BC Liberals, and Justin Trudeau all classify as "far-left", so if that's any sign he's pretty hardline.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2264 on: February 20, 2022, 02:29:15 PM »

JJ McCullough is not remotely "far-right" lol. His views on bilingualism are unusually right-wing, and his obsession with the US is unusual (though by no means far-right). But most of his other takes on politics are pretty much those of a mainstream Conservative in Canada. Unless you believe that the CPC itself is "far-right", or that one's views on Quebec and the French language are the only indicators of their politics, he's not far-right

He also went on rants calling BC Liberals far-left when they refused to have Aaron Gunn (some guy in the leadership of hard-right organisation Canada Proud; the only right-wing candidate, according to McCullough) in their leadership race.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2265 on: February 20, 2022, 03:13:25 PM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2266 on: February 20, 2022, 05:18:18 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2267 on: February 20, 2022, 05:53:03 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2268 on: February 20, 2022, 05:55:34 PM »

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2269 on: February 20, 2022, 06:13:49 PM »

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2270 on: February 20, 2022, 06:26:57 PM »

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 

The emergency will have to be approved by the Parliament (Trudeau has a majority in neither house) next week and then every 30 days. That's a democratic norms.

And what about the individual rights of the inhabitants of Ottawa? Of people who lost income because of factory closures caused by the border being blocks? Why the individual rights of wannabe January-6ers are more important than theirs?
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #2271 on: February 20, 2022, 06:54:26 PM »

What is unbelievable about the story? The government claimed it was going to close down bank accounts of people "who support the convoy" So I will take them at their word on that.
Neo-Malthusian Misanthrope
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #2272 on: February 20, 2022, 07:21:23 PM »

What is unbelievable about the story? The government claimed it was going to close down bank accounts of people "who support the convoy" So I will take them at their word on that.

There are varying degrees of support. It strikes me as a massive waste of time and effort to go after anybody other than the big fish in this whole thing.

Also, I expected better from OSR. This whole ordeal seems to have sent everyone's heads spinning, and I can't tell if I should count myself among that number.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2273 on: February 20, 2022, 08:16:08 PM »

The maple syrupers by and large don't want to join the USA, that's an extremely fringe view held by some Wexiteers, and some people like JJ McCullough with a really niche worldview. But it's a little disingenuous to pretend that (English-) Canadian culture is a vastly different thing than American culture (English is an important distinction, because French-Canadians are obviously very distinct).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying English-Canadian culture doesn't exist or that Canada is the same as the US. There are obviously things that distinguish us from the US and those differences can be reflected in pop culture too. Some shows like Trailer Park Boys for example are distinctly Canadian. But it's not like there's one "American" culture either. The cultural differences between, say, Minnesota and Alabama are greater than the differences between Minnesota and Manitoba. In a sense, "English-Canadian culture" exists on a continuum of a broader Anglo North American culture, and I'm not sure CanCon is an effective way to challenge this reality, or even that this reality should be challenged.

What exactly is a maple syruper? I've never heard that term before and google doesn't give me any useful info.

My guess is that it's an old stock Anglo Eastern Canadian, possibly with United Empire Loyalist ancestry, who strongly identifies with Canada as a nation and is not fond of the US.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2274 on: February 20, 2022, 10:04:22 PM »

Posting this here at a great Ontario man's request:

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 ... 141