Canada General Discussion (2019-) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:20:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-) (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 187021 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: October 07, 2019, 03:45:14 AM »
« edited: October 07, 2019, 03:50:09 AM by Grand Mufti T'Chenka »

This election is interesting but frustrating.

There are many Canadians that will NEVER vote Conservative, who also don't like Trudeau's overspending, SNC-Lavelin law breaking and the blackface incidents. Some would vote NDP, but in many ridings the NDP seems to have no chance to win. Will those voters suck it up and vote Liberal? Will they vote NDP or Green anyways to show their support but knowing that their candidate won't win? Will they simply not vote?

It's my.personal opinion that Scheer's Conservatives will win the most seats in parliament, only to become the opposition when the NDP and Greens back the Liberals to form a coalition government. The way Canadian politics is right now, and how the Conservatives seem to be less moderate these days, I don't know tbat the NDP can come to terms with them on a coalition government partnership. I think some of this may have to do with "Trump voter" type Canadians, who are demanding more loudly less centrism and more conservatism from their party.

I myself am an NDP voter who sometimes leans Green, but my riding almost always goes Red or Blue. In low stakes or medium stakes elections, I tend to vote NDP. In high stakes elections, I tend to strategically vote Liberal in an effort to prevent a Conservative victory in my riding. My thoughts at this time are that we CANNOT move forward with the Conservative policies on climate change, so for me this is a high stskes election. I am NOT happy with the Liberal policies on climate change, but they are still much better than the Conservatives by comparison.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »

Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet for attacking immigrants and then refusing to apologize. Some news sources just saying he was fired over comments, which isn't 100% accurate

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/don-cherry-fired
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »

Jagmeet Singh is publicly musing about voting against the Throne Speech. Guess this marks the beginning of minority parliament haggling.
Not at all. This is political posturing. The NDP is out of money and the Bloc did so amazingly well that they have ZERO interest in an election right now. Unless this Liberal government screws up BAD, the Conservatives won't be able to muster the support for a hung parliament until 2021 at the very earliest.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 03:10:23 AM »

So Trudeau has a beard all of a sudden. Caught me off guard.

Is Peter MacKay going to be the new Conservative leader?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 08:18:22 AM »

Andrew Scheer says indigenous protestors need to "check their privilege."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/pipeline-protesters-need-to-check-their-privilege-conservative-leader-says-1.4812204

"These protesters, these activists, may have the luxury of spending days at a time at a blockade, but they need to check their privilege, they need to check their privilege and let people whose job depends on the railway system – small business, farmers – do their job," said Scheer.

He said the blockades are "illegal" and should be shut down by law enforcement.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:20:16 PM »

The pipeline was approved by all the elected tribal leaders on the path of the pipeline.  The un-elected "hereditary" chiefs are the ones leading the push to make sure the safest way to move one of the cleaner sources of energy is way more expensive than it needs to be and takes longer to get done and harming all Canadians (poor more than the rich too) in the process.  You'd think people would be on the side of the elected leaders and not some random dude who claims his great grandaddy was, but here we are.  You'd think they'd want energy companies to use the safest way to move the energy around too, but people are weird sometimes.
Are the elected leaders disguating corrupt garbage, or do they actually represent the interests of their constituents? I genuinely don't know, but it's a huge question IMO.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:42:45 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2020, 01:58:25 AM by Hyena-Pack The Sandernistas »

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2020/02/27/oil-company-caught-in-controversy-over-graphic-decal/

CALGARY (660 NEWS) – An Alberta oil and gas services company is caught up in controversy after a decal surfaced online.

A post has been circulating on social media of what appears to be a decal depicting teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg in a sex position with the logo of X-Site Energy Services on the bottom.

Due to the graphic nature of what is depicted, 660 NEWS is not publishing it online.

For the sake of clarity, I read in another article that the decal depicts Thunberg from behind  "apparently naked" (Huh) with two hands grabbing her braided hair. The implication is forced oral sex or "face-f__king". She is a 17 year old child.

EDIT - I saw another description tbat sounds more like doggy style with hair-pulling. There's no chance in hell I'm actually looking this image up, but either way it's bad.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 01:25:10 AM »

Lockdowns are probably coming in Ontario. Toronto has closed bars and banned seating in restaurants (take out is OK) and Ontario is "urging" all of Ontario bars and restaurants to do the same (no official order, it's an unenforceable request). Border closed today except to Canadians and Americans.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 12:14:45 PM »

Lockdowns are probably coming in Ontario. Toronto has closed bars and banned seating in restaurants (take out is OK) and Ontario is "urging" all of Ontario bars and restaurants to do the same (no official order, it's an unenforceable request). Border closed today except to Canadians and Americans.

Insurance companies calling the shots there too?
Not sure

UPDATE"State Of Emergency" is Ontario declared. The bars are closed, the restaurants are take out and delivery only, public libraries closed, movie theaters and performing arts centers closed. All of this effective until the last day of March (but I expect they"ll extend it later on).

First Ontarian dead with COV-19, a 77 year old male.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:02 AM »

Trudeau looking rather presidential in these daily COVID-19 press conferences. It helps that the Canadian government is responding well to the crisis.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 07:31:22 PM »

Can we hurry up and do proper lockdowns already?

It seems apparent to me that they're going to be necessary soon enough. So why not start earlier and save lives?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 01:04:14 AM »

My job is an essential service. The public's behaviour is absolutely disgusting. 25% of people are NOT practicing s9c8al distancing or staying home AT ALL. Many Canadians will die because of these disgusting people, which are AT MINIMUM at least one million Canadians (more likely 5 million plus). We are showing the narcissism, cognitive dissonance and selfishness of our culture here. We are as disgusting and apathetic as we claim that Americans are.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 01:49:45 AM »

How have the parties reacted to all this?
NDP (leftist party) has been (was?) pushing for Andrew Yang style UBI for weeks, but obviously they don't have the power to make it happen.

Conservative Party is attacking Trudeau for attempting to "power grab" emergency powers. Lots of complaining from conservative VOTERS that Trudeau isn't doing well enough at sending out money to those who need it, though many of us know this kind of thing (massuve government handouts) wouldn't be handled amaingly be Conservatives either.

Haven't heard one word from Green Party or Bloc Quebecois about COVID-19 (mayb e it's just me not paying attention).
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 04:51:06 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2020, 04:55:50 PM by Olawakanda Forever »

Oh my god...

Over 10 killed in shooting rampage in Nova Scotia.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/alleged-gunman-and-rcmp-officer-among-the-victims-of-nova-scotia-shooting-sources-say

This is so terrible...

EDIT - NOT an incel. Married to a man and has two children.

I read that he was wearing some sort of Mountie looking uniform and driving a fake police car.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 07:15:13 PM »

Oh my god...

Over 10 killed in shooting rampage in Nova Scotia.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/alleged-gunman-and-rcmp-officer-among-the-victims-of-nova-scotia-shooting-sources-say

This is so terrible...

EDIT - NOT an incel. Married to a man and has two children.

I read that he was wearing some sort of Mountie looking uniform and driving a fake police car.

It is indeed a tragedy. What kind of point are you trying to make by insinuating he was an incel?
A lot (but not a majority) or North American school shootings have been incels, also 2 or 2 years ago was the last big killing rampage like this that I remember in Canada. It was an incel in downtown Toronto running people over with a vehicle.

Not trying to insinuate he's an incel at all. Rather, we're so used to incel violence now that I half-expect it when I hear of a rampage. Just wanted to give the proper info for anybody wondering if this may or may not possibly be an incel.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 09:23:56 AM »

Trudeau can pass all the laws he wants but they won't stop any serious killer.
This reasoning is ridiculous. It is correct but it misses the point entirely. If somebody REALLY wants to rape or steal or murder, and they have ample time and resources, they will accomplish it. It's impossible to stop. BY NO MEANS WHATSOEVER though does that mean that we don't try to make it more difficult, punish it harshly, etc etc.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:28 AM »

I am surprised that nobody on here has talked about Duterte having ABS-CBN shut down a few days ago.

This is the Canada thread, hoser.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 01:54:33 AM »

Yes, it has an NDP bias. Yes, it's a good video.

Topics include:
- Voters giving Wynne's Liberaks credit for Trudeau's COVID response
- Issues with Conservative and Liberals privatizing long term care facilities
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 04:16:43 AM »

An anti-vaxxer who believes eating organic will stop the novel coronavirus told me yesterday that she hopes somebody shoots and kills Trudeau for keeping businesses closed this long.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 01:33:08 AM »

I think our patience is stretching thin. I feel deeply betrayed by our leaders, especially Trudeau, in how they have been dealing with all this and contributing to the panic.
Trudeau isn't causing ENOUGH panic. I deal with the public every day and there are MANY people acting like we aren't in a state of emergency. I don't only base this on my gut feelings, but what epidemiologists, scientists and staticians have to say about it. Facts and science matter. A lot. You can disagree with experts, but people will understandably ask you why you think they're wrong and what evidence you have to support your claims.

He also forcibly passed through gun control laws, bypassing parliament. This is a very dangerous precedent.
Womp womp on the gun control laws, but I do have to agree with you that bypassing parliament is usually a bad thing and I don't support it in 95% of cases, including this one.

These events have deeply changed how I view politics. Do not take for granted your rights and freedoms you might have today. I don't think we will ever fully recover from this.
Rights have historically ALWAYS been suspended under martial law. This isn't quite that but it is a legitimate emergency / crisis. This is nothing new. We will recover from this just fine, although the economy won't come back right away.[/quote]
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »

I'm more worried about the precedent this sets than anything else. It may not be in bad faith this time but our freedoms should be far more safeguarded than this.

We need to advocate for safer government, and put our citizens in charge.
Agreed.

We need to advocate for smaller government

I believe we can all work towards a greater good without the government taking control.
Disagree on smallsr government, but to each their own.

Canadians will not work together towards a greater good with no government involvement. There is a HUGE amount of selfishness, narcissism and tunnel vision in our culture that I denied as an optimistic teenager but I see now. A large amount of the population only pretend to give a s___ about each other. I already knew this, but the pandemic has proven it without a doubt in my eyes. You wouldn't believe how much BS I have seen in these last two months.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2020, 10:11:04 PM »

Yes, it has an NDP bias. Yes, it's a good video.

Topics include:
- Voters giving Wynne's Liberaks credit for Trudeau's COVID response
- Issues with Conservative and Liberals privatizing long term care facilities
Comparing us to B.C.? Good f**king bye lmfao
What SPECIFICALLY was wrong with his comparison?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 07:11:31 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2020, 07:24:26 AM by Donald Daddy Fetish T'Chenka »

Trudeau warns against spreading COVID-19 by "speaking moistly".

EDIT - Just realized this was on the news and everything 6 weeks ago and lots of people already saw it.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:35 PM »

what do the resident Canucks of this board think of these videos? They just now cropped up in Youtube recommendeds.
LMAO! I only watched the first one. Lots of good references and small details that only a Canadoan would get/notice. Very well made video. Most of it is a p!ss take but there's some truth to it as well. Some of this stuff is Canadian and some of it only applies to white non-immigrants though. Those commercials took me back, oh my god. Bodybreak, Sleep Country Canada and North American House Hippo.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:15 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 02:33:33 AM by Face Masks Prevent You From Speaking Moistly »

Trudeau was asked about Trump's clearing of protestors with tear gas and threats to use the military against the protestors, and he stood silently figuring out which words he could use to not trigger Trump for literally 20 to 21 seconds. Translated from Canadian that roughly means something like "Trump is a piece of s___".

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies