Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 11:53:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 193727 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2300 on: February 21, 2022, 01:13:28 PM »

So Orwellian
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2301 on: February 21, 2022, 01:19:45 PM »

So Orwellian

The Orwellian thing here is Anthony Furey who works for the right wing propagandist Sun Chain and is in no way a credible journalist.
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #2302 on: February 21, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »

So Orwellian

The Orwellian thing here is Anthony Furey who works for the right wing propagandist Sun Chain and is in no way a credible journalist.
So you support the concept of calling an emergency for a potential future event?
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #2303 on: February 21, 2022, 01:29:57 PM »

If you believe this story, you might be a moron.
I really don't understand why this story is unbelievable. Trudeau put in place with the justification that they will freeze the bank accounts of people who donated to the convoy.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2304 on: February 21, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »

So Orwellian

So you support the concept of calling an emergency for a potential future event?

The act can only be in effect for 30 days.  These are not references to 'potential' future events, but immediate possible events, some of which are presently being attempted.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2305 on: February 21, 2022, 01:33:25 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 01:36:57 PM by John Ford Frank »

If you believe this story, you might be a moron.
I really don't understand why this story is unbelievable. Trudeau put in place with the justification that they will freeze the bank accounts of people who donated to the convoy.

This is what was actually said:
A senior government official, speaking to reporters at a technical briefing on the Emergencies Act, said these measures are designed to target "key sources of funding."

There are other reasons to not believe it as well, which I've mentioned previously:

1.There is nobody with that first name who made a donation
2.The act is not retroactive.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2306 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »

So Orwellian

The wannabe January-6ers just fled to Embrun, a French town near Ottawa and already said they will be back as soon the police reopen the streets in Ottawa downtown. So, the events of the last weeks are not even finished yet.
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #2307 on: February 21, 2022, 01:57:10 PM »

So Orwellian

The wannabe January-6ers just fled to Embrun, a French town near Ottawa and already said they will be back as soon the police reopen the streets in Ottawa downtown. So, the events of the last weeks are not even finished yet.
Imagine if the government compromised on the mandates that are ending in many different places.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2308 on: February 21, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »

So Orwellian

Imagine if the government compromised on the mandates that are ending in many different places.

So, if there was a blockade in say, Calgary, that opposed the Alberta government's ending of all mandates, do you think the Kenney UCP government should seek compromise with them?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2309 on: February 21, 2022, 02:00:05 PM »

So Orwellian

The government already removed the testing mandate for vaccinated travellers. Policy has to be decided by the elected government, not by violent thugs, arsonists and foreign-funded militias, especially as their main demand now seems to be a change of government.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2310 on: February 21, 2022, 02:03:06 PM »

Also, respecting a college dean is hardly not questioning authority. Especially in the context of the 1960s and protestors at universities like Berkeley refusing to comply with school norms.

It was part of the idea of respecting authority, and it's you who have misinterpreted the song - marijuana, LSD and burning draft cards were not a matter of personal choice, but were/are illegal.

The rest is part of the debate over the song: how much of it was personal choice and how much of it was forced social conformity?

No. The point is that they're choosing not to. They could use drugs and burn draft cards, like the hippies are doing, but they won't.

Quote from: North Carolina Conservative link=topic=316424.msg8488485#msg8488485

Boomer hippies are so funny. I am unfree and it is literally 1984 because LSD is illegal. Sex outside of marriage is a federal crime. Long hair is banned.

Did you consider it a great imposition to your freedom to have to wear a mask during a pandemic?

I certainly didn't like it.

But, you don't have a problem with LSD or other drugs being illegal?

I do, actually.

1.Again, that is part of the debate about the song's lyrics, whether it was meant as a straight homage to small town America or as a parody of its social conformity. From wiki, this is what Merle Haggard himself said:

In an interview with American Songwriter, Haggard called the song a "character study," his 1969 self being the character: "It was the photograph that I took of the way things looked through the eyes of a fool... and most of America was under the same assumptions I was. As it's stayed around now for 40 years, I sing the song now with a different attitude onstage... I've become educated... I play it now with a different projection. It's a different song now. I'm different now.

2.However, if you support legalizing drugs, then I don't have a disagreement with you anyway.

1. I am aware. The lyrics support my point.

2. You do. Because LSD being illegal doesn't change that Americans are the freest people in the world.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

No, freedom is independence from state compulsion.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2311 on: February 21, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »

Also, respecting a college dean is hardly not questioning authority. Especially in the context of the 1960s and protestors at universities like Berkeley refusing to comply with school norms.

It was part of the idea of respecting authority, and it's you who have misinterpreted the song - marijuana, LSD and burning draft cards were not a matter of personal choice, but were/are illegal.

The rest is part of the debate over the song: how much of it was personal choice and how much of it was forced social conformity?

No. The point is that they're choosing not to. They could use drugs and burn draft cards, like the hippies are doing, but they won't.

Boomer hippies are so funny. I am unfree and it is literally 1984 because LSD is illegal. Sex outside of marriage is a federal crime. Long hair is banned.

Did you consider it a great imposition to your freedom to have to wear a mask during a pandemic?

I do, actually.

1.Again, that is part of the debate about the song's lyrics, whether it was meant as a straight homage to small town America or as a parody of its social conformity. From wiki, this is what Merle Haggard himself said:

In an interview with American Songwriter, Haggard called the song a "character study," his 1969 self being the character: "It was the photograph that I took of the way things looked through the eyes of a fool... and most of America was under the same assumptions I was. As it's stayed around now for 40 years, I sing the song now with a different attitude onstage... I've become educated... I play it now with a different projection. It's a different song now. I'm different now.

2.However, if you support legalizing drugs, then I don't have a disagreement with you anyway.

2. You do. Because LSD being illegal doesn't change that Americans are the freest people in the world.

That's not what freedom means, it's a concept which philosophers and political theorrists have written abour for millenia, it's way wider that what you describe it. Anyways, the current group is just upset they don't have the "freedom" to impose their views on the whole society. Sore losers whose parents failed at their jobs by never learning to them what no means.

Your definition is just the fake definition given to it by the amoral ultra free marketers running the Republican Party.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2312 on: February 21, 2022, 02:19:37 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 02:27:34 PM by John Ford Frank »

So Orwellian

The government already removed the testing mandate for vaccinated travellers. Policy has to be decided by the elected government, not by violent thugs, arsonists and foreign-funded militias, especially as their main demand now seems to be a change of government.

I don't agree with those here who say that this is somehow a change on the left and right in terms of protests and civil liberties.  I'm uncomfortable with the ability of the authorities to freeze bank accounts without a court order, but I also acknowledge that in the world we live in, options are often limited and that there are 'slippery slope' arguments on both sides: the theoretical loss of civil liberties on the one side versus the theoretical possibility of mob rule on the other side.

In regards to the potential for 'mob rule' not that it fit this situation by any means, but in 1983 in British Columbia a far more authoritarian leader than Justin Trudeau, Premier Bill Bennett went far beyond his renewed 1983 election mandate in imposing restraint.  This led to an opposition called Operation Solidarity that led legal mass protests but also called for both legal and wildcat strikes.  The political official opposition, the NDP, was caught flat footed and the opposition ultimately foundered, though some rollbacks in the legislation was agreed to, with Operation Solidarity basically splitting between the far more militant public sector unions led by Art Kubie, and the far more cautious private sector unions led by Jack Munro.

This article written by the top aid to Premier Bill Bennett, Norman Spector, further describes what occurred, but is interesting in this in that Spector often said that Premier Bill Bennett said if he was pushed to make what he thought were too many compromises, that he would call an election over the question of 'who governs the province: the elected politicians or the 'mob' on the street?'

Despite the large crowds that protested, it seemed to be the case that especially outside of the Lower Mainland and Victoria (which were a much lower share of the provincial population in 1983) that the (legal) protests weren't all that popular.

https://ipolitics.ca/2012/06/14/norman-spector-quebec-protests-provoke-a-sense-of-deja-vu-for-some-in-b-c/
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2313 on: February 21, 2022, 02:24:28 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 02:44:35 PM by John Ford Frank »

I do, actually.

This ignores (negative) externalities which is the imposition one private citizen places on another. Any concern of 'state compulsion' which does not address the state seeking compromise between two legitimate competing private concerns which conflict with each other is ultimately incomplete.

At the most basic, your definition means that banning loud noises after 10:00 PM or so is an unjust limit to 'freedom.'
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2314 on: February 21, 2022, 02:46:54 PM »

I do, actually.

That's not what freedom means, it's a concept which philosophers and political theorrists have written abour for millenia, it's way wider that what you describe it. Anyways, the current group is just upset they don't have the "freedom" to impose their views on the whole society. Sore losers whose parents failed at their jobs by never learning to them what no means.

Your definition is just the fake definition given to it by the amoral ultra free marketers running the Republican Party.

Nope. And I'm sorry, how are the people trying to mandate vaccines and raise taxes not the ones imposing their views?
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #2315 on: February 21, 2022, 03:13:27 PM »

So Orwellian

So, if there was a blockade in say, Calgary, that opposed the Alberta government's ending of all mandates, do you think the Kenney UCP government should seek compromise with them?

If I was kenney I would be willing to meet the crowd and explain how they have the option to voluntarily check vaccination status at their business.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2316 on: February 21, 2022, 03:15:45 PM »

So Orwellian

If I was kenney I would be willing to meet the crowd and explain how they have the option to voluntarily check vaccination status at their business.

But they cannot, as Kenney is deleting the app to do so. So, you would just be lying (okay, granted, that's why Kenney does all the time).
IAMCANADIAN
Rookie

« Reply #2317 on: February 21, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »

So Orwellian

A border testing mandate is more logical than a vaccine mandate though.

It just seems like Trudeau wants to punish those who disobeyed his "get vaccinated" order.

Also, he met with a took a knee to protesters in 2020 also so he is not against doing anything you mentioned.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2318 on: February 21, 2022, 03:36:58 PM »

So Orwellian

It just seems like Trudeau wants to punish those who disobeyed his "get vaccinated" order.

Also, he met with a took a knee to protesters in 2020 also so he is not against doing anything you mentioned.

Tell me again, where were the violent thugs, arsonists and foreign-funded militias in summer 2020 and how did they influence government's policies?
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #2319 on: February 21, 2022, 03:41:01 PM »

Randy Hillier, independent ex-PC MLA for Lanark—Frontenac—Kingston. Something something back the blue.

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2320 on: February 21, 2022, 03:48:12 PM »

Usually the "contest" for worst elected official in Canada has multiple contenders but right now Randy Hillier easily wins the prize.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2321 on: February 21, 2022, 03:57:34 PM »

So Orwellian

Well, the logistics of the latter are way easier (and cheaper) than the former.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2322 on: February 21, 2022, 05:09:32 PM »

Why was Tamara Lich wearing a mask at her bail hearing?  I thought masks were for weak people who live in fear.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2323 on: February 21, 2022, 06:04:24 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Lol at trusting OSR to  Have the slightest clue is to what "fascist" means.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2324 on: February 21, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Lol at trusting OSR to  Have the slightest clue is to what "fascist" means.

Says the guy who is defending the person who called a Jewish MP a Nazi
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies