Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 03:33:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 141
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 194030 times)
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2275 on: February 20, 2022, 10:05:10 PM »

I feel Things like CanCon regs etc. should be *strengthemed*, not weakened... unless the maple syrupers do want to join the USA?

The maple syrupers by and large don't want to join the USA, that's an extremely fringe view held by some Wexiteers, and some people like JJ McCullough with a really niche worldview. But it's a little disingenuous to pretend that (English-) Canadian culture is a vastly different thing than American culture (English is an important distinction, because French-Canadians are obviously very distinct).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying English-Canadian culture doesn't exist or that Canada is the same as the US. There are obviously things that distinguish us from the US and those differences can be reflected in pop culture too. Some shows like Trailer Park Boys for example are distinctly Canadian. But it's not like there's one "American" culture either. The cultural differences between, say, Minnesota and Alabama are greater than the differences between Minnesota and Manitoba. In a sense, "English-Canadian culture" exists on a continuum of a broader Anglo North American culture, and I'm not sure CanCon is an effective way to challenge this reality, or even that this reality should be challenged.

What exactly is a maple syruper? I've never heard that term before and google doesn't give me any useful info.

My guess is that it's an old stock Anglo Eastern Canadian, possibly with United Empire Loyalist ancestry, who strongly identifies with Canada as a nation and is not fond of the US.

Lol it's not a real thing, Jolly Slugg just used it to mean "Canadian", and I jumped on the bandwagon.
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2276 on: February 20, 2022, 10:14:55 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 

The emergency will have to be approved by the Parliament (Trudeau has a majority in neither house) next week and then every 30 days. That's a democratic norms.

And what about the individual rights of the inhabitants of Ottawa? Of people who lost income because of factory closures caused by the border being blocks? Why the individual rights of wannabe January-6ers are more important than theirs?

He does have a defacto majority because that terrorist sympathizer holds the balance of power and is going against the NDP traditions of tommy douglas, Svend Robinson, Ed broadbent, Jack layton who all opposed the emergency act in their day and Svend robinson still opposes it today
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2277 on: February 20, 2022, 10:16:58 PM »

The government said only 76 accounts were frozen, so I strongly doubt Briane's story or even her existence.

Lol at trusting a government that is clearly fascist

Please read a dictionnary, fascist doesn't mean something you don't like.

Ok fine maybe I’ll use authoritarian with no regard for democratic norms or individual rights instead . That doenst make it better 

The emergency will have to be approved by the Parliament (Trudeau has a majority in neither house) next week and then every 30 days. That's a democratic norms.

And what about the individual rights of the inhabitants of Ottawa? Of people who lost income because of factory closures caused by the border being blocks? Why the individual rights of wannabe January-6ers are more important than theirs?

Lametti says they're going after small time donors and evidently they already have this is straight up theft and fascist and if a non white country had done this thered be UN sanctions already. Fk this banana republic built on housing speculation
harpercanuck
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #2278 on: February 20, 2022, 10:23:30 PM »

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1495586864656527365

Why dont we invoke the emergency act here and seize these thugs bank accounts and remove em by force but oh yah they're on the left so they can continue to make LA a sh**thole.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2279 on: February 20, 2022, 10:38:19 PM »

Why dont we invoke the emergency act here and seize these thugs bank accounts and remove em by force but oh yah they're on the left so they can continue to make LA a sh**thole.

I don't support the Canadian government effectively engaging in civil asset forfeiture with the Emergencies Act. But you have to understand, a group of like 20 people standing in the middle of an intersection is not the same as thousands of people camping down for weeks in the middle of downtown Ottawa.
Pro-Israel, anti-Bibi
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #2280 on: February 20, 2022, 10:39:20 PM »

People still think Andy Ngo is a credible journalist 💀😂😂😂
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2281 on: February 20, 2022, 11:15:51 PM »

Why would Trudeau need to freeze their bank accounts? The police could just beat the sh_t out of them an unlawfully arrest them. It's America after all.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2282 on: February 21, 2022, 08:29:20 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 08:34:53 AM by John Ford Frank »

If you believe this story, you might be a moron.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2283 on: February 21, 2022, 08:33:26 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 08:46:22 AM by John Ford Frank »

I don't support the Canadian government effectively engaging in civil asset forfeiture with the Emergencies Act. But you have to understand, a group of like 20 people standing in the middle of an intersection is not the same as thousands of people camping down for weeks in the middle of downtown Ottawa.

This is the reason why I've been going on about the U.S War on Drugs and 'Reefer Madness' and how the U.S in, in reality, an authoritarian country due to the war on drugs even though many Americans have bought the myth to believe otherwise.

This is what the DEA says on Civil Asset Forfeitures:

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) uses forfeiture to attack the financial structure of drug trafficking and money laundering groups worldwide, from the lowly courier carrying cash or drugs to the top levels of drug cartels. Forfeiture, particularly civil forfeiture (see below), is very effective against drug crimes committed for profit.

To seize property, DEA agents must have probable cause (the same legal standard needed to arrest someone) and obtain a warrant from a judge (with some exceptions).

https://www.dea.gov/operations/asset-forfeiture

I realize the Merle Haggard song 'Okie From Muskogee' is over 50 years old now, but it kind of perfectly captures the dissonance of the things illegal or, at least, shamed by convention in the U.S, and believing that you are 'being free.' Merle Haggard himself seems to have been taken up with this saying at times that the song was meant to honor small town decent living and at other times saying the song was meant as a parody.

We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee
We don't take our trips on LSD
We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street
We like livin' right, and bein' free

We don't make a party out of lovin'
We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo
We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy
Like the hippies out in San Francisco do

I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
A place where even squares can have a ball
We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,
And white lightnin's still the biggest thrill of all

Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear
Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen
Football's still the roughest thing on campus
And the kids here still respect the college dean

And I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee
A place where even squares can have a ball.
We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse

In Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA.

To make this even more obvious, this is what counts as bein' free in the U.S:

1.Marijuana is illegal
2.LSD is illegal
3.Getting drafted to fight a war
4.No sex outside of marriage
5.No long hair
6.No sandals or other footwear other than accepted shoes and boots
7.Don't question authority ("the kids still respect the college dean")
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2284 on: February 21, 2022, 09:10:42 AM »

Over the same weekend that the police in Ottawa cleared out the terrorist Ottawa occupiers using, it seems, the minimum force possible, this happened in Calgary, in the province of 'civil liberty loving' Premier Jason Kenney:

Sudanese community in mourning after man shot and killed by police in southeast Calgary

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-police-watchdog-asirt-calgary-police-shooting-1.6359062

The story says the man killed had a metal stick, was threatening people and otherwise behaving erratically and hit a police dog with his metal stick, but I find it hard to believe after how the police behaved in Ottawa that the man needed to be shot dead, and I also find it hard to believe his race didn't play a role in how he was treated versus how the terrorist occupiers were treated.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2285 on: February 21, 2022, 09:17:14 AM »

yes, maple syrupers was my attempt at a less silly nickname than Canucks (which sounds like a freight company)

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2286 on: February 21, 2022, 09:22:12 AM »

Even though M.P Mark Strahl clearly seems to have made the story up lied:

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #2287 on: February 21, 2022, 09:24:30 AM »

This is the reason why I've been going on about the U.S War on Drugs and 'Reefer Madness' and how the U.S in, in reality, an authoritarian country due to the war on drugs even though many Americans have bought the myth to believe otherwise.

This is what the DEA says on Civil Asset Forfeitures:

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) uses forfeiture to attack the financial structure of drug trafficking and money laundering groups worldwide, from the lowly courier carrying cash or drugs to the top levels of drug cartels. Forfeiture, particularly civil forfeiture (see below), is very effective against drug crimes committed for profit.

To seize property, DEA agents must have probable cause (the same legal standard needed to arrest someone) and obtain a warrant from a judge (with some exceptions).

https://www.dea.gov/operations/asset-forfeiture

I realize the Merle Haggard song 'Okie From Muskogee' is over 50 years old now, but it kind of perfectly captures the dissonance of the things illegal or, at least, shamed by convention in the U.S, and believing that you are 'being free.' Merle Haggard himself seems to have been taken up with this saying at times that the song was meant to honor small town decent living and at other times saying the song was meant as a parody.

We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee
We don't take our trips on LSD
We don't burn our draft cards down on Main Street
We like livin' right, and bein' free

We don't make a party out of lovin'
We like holdin' hands and pitchin' woo
We don't let our hair grow long and shaggy
Like the hippies out in San Francisco do

I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee,
A place where even squares can have a ball
We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse,

Leather boots are still in style for manly footwear
Beads and Roman sandals won't be seen
Football's still the roughest thing on campus
And the kids here still respect the college dean

And I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee
A place where even squares can have a ball.
We still wave Old Glory down at the courthouse

In Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA.

To make this even more obvious, this is what counts as bein' free in the U.S:

1.Marijuana is illegal
2.LSD is illegal
3.Getting drafted to fight a war
4.No sex outside of marriage
5.No long hair
6.No sandals or other footwear other than accepted shoes and boots
7.Don't question authority ("the kids still respect the college dean")

You're missing the point of the song, which is that those things are a choice and the people of Muskogee are proud not to take part in them.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2288 on: February 21, 2022, 09:27:10 AM »

Quote from: North Carolina Conservative link=topic=316424.msg8488485#msg8488485

Boomer hippies are so funny. I am unfree and it is literally 1984 because LSD is illegal. Sex outside of marriage is a federal crime. Long hair is banned.

Did you consider it a great imposition to your freedom to have to wear a mask during a pandemic?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2289 on: February 21, 2022, 09:27:49 AM »

Also, respecting a college dean is hardly not questioning authority. Especially in the context of the 1960s and protestors at universities like Berkeley refusing to comply with school norms.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2290 on: February 21, 2022, 09:28:03 AM »

Boomer hippies are so funny. I am unfree and it is literally 1984 because LSD is illegal. Sex outside of marriage is a federal crime. Long hair is banned.

Did you consider it a great imposition to your freedom to have to wear a mask during a pandemic?

I certainly didn't like it.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2291 on: February 21, 2022, 09:31:59 AM »

Also, respecting a college dean is hardly not questioning authority. Especially in the context of the 1960s and protestors at universities like Berkeley refusing to comply with school norms.

It was part of the idea of respecting authority, and it's you who have misinterpreted the song - marijuana, LSD and burning draft cards were not a matter of personal choice, but were/are illegal.

The rest is part of the debate over the song: how much of it was personal choice and how much of it was forced social conformity?
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2292 on: February 21, 2022, 09:32:56 AM »

But, you don't have a problem with LSD or other drugs being illegal?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2293 on: February 21, 2022, 09:35:23 AM »

yes, maple syrupers was my attempt at a less silly nickname than Canucks (which sounds like a freight company)
"Canucks" sounds very normal to us and not particularly silly. At least from a Canadian perspective.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2294 on: February 21, 2022, 09:45:48 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 09:49:36 AM by John Ford Frank »

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but for anybody who thinks that because the occupier/terrorists have 'only' been charged with Mischief that it can't be a very serious offense.

I'm sure everybody here remembers Jussie Smollett who was convicted of lying to the police. Although he hasn't been sentenced yet...

The mayor of Surrey, British Columbia, Doug McCallum, has similarly been charged of doing the same thing Jussie Smollett did, and he has been charged with 'Mischief.'

https://globalnews.ca/news/8441118/surrey-doug-mccallum-charged-public-mischief/
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2295 on: February 21, 2022, 09:53:42 AM »

Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2296 on: February 21, 2022, 11:35:41 AM »

It was part of the idea of respecting authority, and it's you who have misinterpreted the song - marijuana, LSD and burning draft cards were not a matter of personal choice, but were/are illegal.

The rest is part of the debate over the song: how much of it was personal choice and how much of it was forced social conformity?

No. The point is that they're choosing not to. They could use drugs and burn draft cards, like the hippies are doing, but they won't.

I do, actually.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2297 on: February 21, 2022, 11:44:05 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 11:51:20 AM by John Ford Frank »

No. The point is that they're choosing not to. They could use drugs and burn draft cards, like the hippies are doing, but they won't.

I do, actually.

1.Again, that is part of the debate about the song's lyrics, whether it was meant as a straight homage to small town America or as a parody of its social conformity. From wiki, this is what Merle Haggard himself said:

In an interview with American Songwriter, Haggard called the song a "character study," his 1969 self being the character: "It was the photograph that I took of the way things looked through the eyes of a fool... and most of America was under the same assumptions I was. As it's stayed around now for 40 years, I sing the song now with a different attitude onstage... I've become educated... I play it now with a different projection. It's a different song now. I'm different now.

2.However, if you support legalizing drugs, then I don't have a disagreement with you anyway.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2298 on: February 21, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »

I do, actually.

1.Again, that is part of the debate about the song's lyrics, whether it was meant as a straight homage to small town America or as a parody of its social conformity. From wiki, this is what Merle Haggard himself said:

In an interview with American Songwriter, Haggard called the song a "character study," his 1969 self being the character: "It was the photograph that I took of the way things looked through the eyes of a fool... and most of America was under the same assumptions I was. As it's stayed around now for 40 years, I sing the song now with a different attitude onstage... I've become educated... I play it now with a different projection. It's a different song now. I'm different now.

2.However, if you support legalizing drugs, then I don't have a disagreement with you anyway.

1. I am aware. The lyrics support my point.

2. You do. Because LSD being illegal doesn't change that Americans are the freest people in the world.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2299 on: February 21, 2022, 01:10:38 PM »

I do, actually.

1. I am aware. The lyrics support my point.

2. You do. Because LSD being illegal doesn't change that Americans are the freest people in the world.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 97 ... 141  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies