2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:02:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 57458 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: March 16, 2022, 01:39:34 AM »

Now Republicans are bracing for DeSantis to keep his promise and haul them back into a special session, worrying that he might hit the campaign trail and use his popularity and the bully pulpit to bring election-year pressure on those who bucked him.

“DeSantis has carved out his own lane in the GOP: the Voldemort lane,” said Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber, a Democrat who clashed with DeSantis over Covid lockdowns and who was involved in Democrats’ redistricting efforts in 2010.

Lol we have the Harry Potter Democrats.

Republicans in the Legislature say they were taken aback by DeSantis’ power play, with one describing him as being hyperfocused on redistricting compared to other issues.

“In meetings, he would just demand: ‘Pass my maps! My maps! My maps!’ He’s just bizarrely obsessed with this. He won’t let it go. He won’t listen to reason,” said a Republican who didn’t want to criticize DeSantis publicly.

It’s jarring to hear the Voldemort analogy, given that’s who DeSantis’s predecessor was often compared to.

I never saw him in Harry Potter movies, but I do remember seeing him on the cover of the Weekly World News when I was younger.

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2022, 12:41:34 PM »

I have no idea why the Republican legislature doesn't just pass it. If Hochul can get her gerrymander done and passed with no opposition then Republican's shouldn't disarm and allow Democrats to take more seats than they have to.
I literally can't understand the Florida legislature's thinking at all.

1. Legislators do have concerns in redistricting beyond just "More same party seats = good". There are members of the legislature that have problems with the geography of the map beyond just a partisan division perspective.

2. Legislators want to avoid a potential VRA lawsuit that would get the whole map potentially thrown out. A slightly less gerrymandered map that leaves black districts alone avoids that and is a safer bet for the party.

3. Despite being members of the same party and PoLaRiZaTioN being high right now, the FL legislature has no desire to be jerked around or dictated to by DeSantis. He stepped in near the end of this process with an ultimatum, threatening vetos, and making no concessions. I think part of the legislature's opposition is that they don't want DeSantis to think that he can walk all over them.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2022, 12:54:25 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 01:01:23 PM by lfromnj »

I have no idea why the Republican legislature doesn't just pass it. If Hochul can get her gerrymander done and passed with no opposition then Republican's shouldn't disarm and allow Democrats to take more seats than they have to.
I literally can't understand the Florida legislature's thinking at all.

1. Legislators do have concerns in redistricting beyond just "More same party seats = good". There are members of the legislature that have problems with the geography of the map beyond just a partisan division perspective.

2. Legislators want to avoid a potential VRA lawsuit that would get the whole map potentially thrown out. A slightly less gerrymandered map that leaves black districts alone avoids that and is a safer bet for the party.

3. Despite being members of the same party and PoLaRiZaTioN being high right now, the FL legislature has no desire to be jerked around or dictated to by DeSantis. He stepped in near the end of this process with an ultimatum, threatening vetos, and making no concessions. I think part of the legislature's opposition is that they don't want DeSantis to think that he can walk all over them.

A VRA lawsuit is not the risk. Its the fair districts amendment.  I think the most important thing is DeSantis's theory could really mess up the legislative maps as well.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2022, 01:06:22 PM »

Here is what I don't get. If no map is passed, the court draws a map. Why would DeSantis want that? As to the internecine Pub battle of the maps, they are not that much different, so why is DeSantis freaking out over not that much? I don't get that either. Does DeSantis have psychological problems? That is meant as a serious rather than tendentious question. The man genuinely puzzles me.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2022, 01:10:53 PM »

Here is what I don't get. If no map is passed, the court draws a map. Why would DeSantis want that? As to the internecine Pub battle of the maps, they are not that much different, so why is DeSantis freaking out over not that much? I don't get that either. Does DeSantis have psychological problems? That is meant as a serious rather than tendentious question. The man genuinely puzzles me.

Well yes, but I would think the bigger issue here is he is an egomaniac. 
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »

I don't think DeSantis is actually that concerned with getting a maximal gerrymander. He'd probably prefer one, but it is tangential to his actual goal of continuing to get fawning coverage from the national right-wing media, which he hopes will be enough to offset his abject lack of charisma.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2022, 02:23:17 PM »

I don't think DeSantis is actually that concerned with getting a maximal gerrymander. He'd probably prefer one, but it is tangential to his actual goal of continuing to get fawning coverage from the national right-wing media, which he hopes will be enough to offset his abject lack of charisma.

I don't see how pursuing something that makes his own party in Florida disdain him and is doomed to failure and will backfire would improve his appeal to anyone. Also the guy will have to compete with Trump for favor with the right wing media, and Trump hates him.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #632 on: March 17, 2022, 03:18:10 PM »

Lot of people seem to be avoiding the Occam's Razor explanation here, which is that DeSantis wants as many Republican seats as possible.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #633 on: March 17, 2022, 03:24:38 PM »

Lot of people seem to be avoiding the Occam's Razor explanation here, which is that DeSantis wants as many Republican seats as possible.

If DeSantis wants as many Republican seats as possible, I'll provide him with a foolproof plan, free of charge.

1. Make your intentions clear to the legislature months in advance.
2. Go public with your disagreements only as a last resort; avoid needless antagonization.
3. Focus on Tampa, Miami, and Orlando to the exclusion of North Florida, which is far more legally and parochially fraught and is a fraction as important as those metro areas.
4. Be willing to concede to lawmakers who want ideal seats as long as you're getting something in return.

I think he literally did the opposite of this at every step.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #634 on: March 17, 2022, 03:26:23 PM »

I don't see how pursuing something that makes his own party in Florida disdain him and is doomed to failure and will backfire would improve his appeal to anyone. Also the guy will have to compete with Trump for favor with the right wing media, and Trump hates him.

It fits pretty neatly into a brave outsider vs. swampy establishment narrative, whether or not he wins. I doubt he plans on sticking around in Tallahassee much longer so from his perspective who cares what his party thinks of him?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: March 17, 2022, 03:40:07 PM »

It fits pretty neatly into a brave outsider vs. swampy establishment narrative, whether or not he wins. I doubt he plans on sticking around in Tallahassee much longer so from his perspective who cares what his party thinks of him?

I guess it comes down to whether the Pub Party really is stuck on stupid. I guess that there is a case to be made that it mostly is, with those not stuck often retiring.
UncleSam

« Reply #636 on: March 17, 2022, 04:23:23 PM »

Lol this was obviously always the answer, just Dems can’t conceive of such a boring scenario as it allows no space for DeSantis to be a supervillain.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #637 on: March 17, 2022, 04:35:56 PM »

Lol this was obviously always the answer, just Dems can’t conceive of such a boring scenario as it allows no space for DeSantis to be a supervillain.

I don't think anyone is denying that part.  It is, however quite unusual to see a Governor fight his own party to gerrymander even harder at the risk of getting neither gerrymander. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #638 on: March 17, 2022, 04:39:16 PM »

Running the risk a court draws a map, and the Pubs lose more seats than the map the legislature passed. I don't think DeSantis is a supervillain (if it is not Putin or Trump or MTG or a few freaks like that I just don't go there), I just think he is being super stupid.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #639 on: March 17, 2022, 04:52:21 PM »

I would agree probably stupid, but he could potentially be thinking it could be a win-win.  if he gets his map he gets more seats for the GOP in Florida.  If it gets thrown out by the courts, he can scream the always favorite Republican tagline 'activist liberal Judges' as a campaign issue for 2024 (regardless of if the judges were liberal or not or how badly his map was in violation of the law)

Running the risk a court draws a map, and the Pubs lose more seats than the map the legislature passed. I don't think DeSantis is a supervillain (if it is not Putin or Trump or MTG or a few freaks like that I just don't go there), I just think he is being super stupid.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #640 on: March 17, 2022, 05:17:12 PM »

Well before the legislature passed a map and a "backup map". Couldn't DeSantis do the same? Have a backup in case the map he wants is thrown out?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #641 on: March 17, 2022, 05:42:03 PM »

Well before the legislature passed a map and a "backup map". Couldn't DeSantis do the same? Have a backup in case the map he wants is thrown out?

That assumes that enacted into law is map 1, with map 2 a backup map. That requires the guv and legislature agree on something. If not enacted into law, hypothetical maps are irrelevant when it goes to court with no map having been enacted into law. It really is an embarrassing circus act for the Pubs, with the Pub id in charge, and the superego put in the closet.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #642 on: March 17, 2022, 09:57:05 PM »

If DeSantis wants as many Republican seats as possible, I'll provide him with a foolproof plan, free of charge.

2. Go public with your disagreements only as a last resort; avoid needless antagonization.
3. Focus on Tampa, Miami, and Orlando to the exclusion of North Florida, which is far more legally and parochially fraught and is a fraction as important as those metro areas.
4. Be willing to concede to lawmakers who want ideal seats as long as you're getting something in return.

1/2/4: People make mistakes

3. I disagree and there's a very clear case that FL-05 is not just legal to get rid of, but illegal.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #643 on: March 17, 2022, 11:41:56 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2022, 11:47:27 PM by lfromnj »

3. I disagree and there's a very clear case that FL-05 is not just legal to get rid of, but illegal.
I think most people here can agree that with the that the current FL-05 has a decent chance of being struck under the 14th. I struggle to see how a West Duval seat even if not required would be illegal.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #644 on: March 17, 2022, 11:55:54 PM »

I think most people here can agree that with the that the current FL-05 has a decent chance of being struck under the 14th. I struggle to see how a West Duval seat even if not required would be illegal.

I don't think it would be. But the OP said to "the exclusion of North Florida" and I'm answering as to why I believe some focus on North Florida can be understood, even if I concur that I'd probably draw a Jax area Dem seat if I was DeSantis.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #645 on: March 18, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »

Which is the most obvious answer but doing what he claims he'll do is a gamble that could very well result in the opposite of that.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #646 on: March 21, 2022, 09:36:28 AM »

https://ourtallahassee.com/kristin-dozier-calls-for-resolution-defending-rep-al-lawson-leon-countys-seat-in-congress/

“Congressional districts should not be about any one person but must put the needs of the people first,” Lawson concluded. “No one is surprised that Ron DeSantis put politics ahead of the people.”

Sure Mr.Lawson DeSantis gerrymandered you guys but why do you have an issue with the house map? It can't be because of your personal needs right?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #647 on: March 22, 2022, 12:18:29 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2022, 02:03:05 AM by lfromnj »

https://rumble.com/vy1iqt-desantis-to-call-for-special-session-for-redistricting-map-vote.html

Sabatini so huge grain of salt but he claims senate is just giving up but the house isn't. He also claims there will be a special session according to a non public DeSantis speech. This one seems true at least. Sabatini does claim the reason for the senate flip around is because of DeSantis endorsing his supporters for higher office.

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2022-03-21/disagreement-over-floridas-congressional-districts-could-force-legislature-to-reconvene?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1647860028

Senate Redistricting Committee Chairman Ray Rodrigues expressed optimism the two sides will eventually reach an agreement, but that would require lawmakers to reconvene in a special legislative session.

“We would need to come up with a map that the House and Senate could agree upon and that the governor would sign.”

Sounds like its going to special session unless if Democrats vote to override?

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #648 on: March 22, 2022, 02:27:18 PM »

Democrats better vote to override I swear to god
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #649 on: March 22, 2022, 02:35:22 PM »

Democrats should say they will vote for the original senate map and in turn they will not sue
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies