2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:16:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 56423 times)
UncleSam

« on: November 29, 2021, 12:07:12 PM »

The funny thing is even with how tilted this map is it’s infinitely better than NC or OH (and somewhat better than TX). Tons of competitive districts / districts that could fall in a D wave, and even in a neutral year 17/10/1 isn’t 13/2.

Do Dems have any recourse in this process? I’m assuming no because I believe the FLSC is conservative if I recall correctly, but just wondering.
UncleSam

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 11:17:32 AM »

Made a maximally agressive (yet somewhat clean, though horrible COI) Republican gerrymandering which gives Ds only 6 safe D seats + another Lean D seat in Miami. This map assumes bad trends for Dems in the greater Miami area, though the only seats to ever backfire are the 3 cuban seats

Interesting map, didn’t think this was possible. Though I feel like it is also a massive dummymander, as Dems could easily win 15-17 seats in even a mildly D-leaning year. It’s almost a competitive districts gerrymander tbh, just with an R tilt in all of those districts.
UncleSam

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 04:23:23 PM »

Lot of people seem to be avoiding the Occam's Razor explanation here, which is that DeSantis wants as many Republican seats as possible.
Lol this was obviously always the answer, just Dems can’t conceive of such a boring scenario as it allows no space for DeSantis to be a supervillain.
UncleSam

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2022, 11:05:41 AM »

Can Dems override the veto? Seems like that might be the smart play here, unless they think they can get better maps?
UncleSam

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 04:46:55 PM »

Based Labarga.

Fr though that’s such a cop out on the courts part, to say they don’t have jurisdiction over it.

I know a bunch of people are gonna start comparing this to NY, but tbf, NY Dems map was truly worse than Floridas R from basically every metric. Florida Rs were just a lot smarter. I hope the map backfires on them as they seem a bit cocky with Miami and Tampa specifically.

Texas is prolly the next legal Avenue Dems should go down. It likely won’t be very fruitful but there is a serious case R violated VRA, namely in San Antonio and DFW. If the court just redraws a small chunk of the map, it could make TX-28 redder but in exchange for a safe D San Antonio seat.

No offense, but I’m genuinely not sure what you’re talking about Re: FL vs. NY.  The FL gerrymander is one of the worst in the country (although not as bad as TX or OH).  The NY map was a mild-to-medium gerrymander.  
Maybe in terms of the efficiency gap, but in terms of county lines, COI, compactness, and just the good old basic eye test the Fl map was definitely less of a travesty. Doesn't make it anything other than a strong R gerrymander of course, but Fl Rs played their hand well while NY Ds basically just said 'the courts are filled with our appointees so we're not even going to pretend to draw reasonable maps'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies