An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:47:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 40693 times)
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: June 25, 2020, 12:50:21 PM »

Indeed

Some Republicans are disappointed with their showing
Senate will probably flip in the next general election in 1984 and if not yet by the end of the decade in the 1980s.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #501 on: June 25, 2020, 10:28:28 PM »

Wikimedia Commons and Image Modified by Me

The Glenn Administration

John Glenn faced quite the predicament going into the next to last year of his presidency. If he didn't act, Democrats could be put into dire straits in 1984 and beyond. The Iran-Iraq War became more brutal by the die, deploying chemical weapons to kill troops by the hundreds. Fanatical Islamist militias and religious youth had been mobilized for the Iranian side, which had the effect of both wiping out thousands in mass charges (including children), but also causing tangible losses to the numbers of the Islamist youth. The economy continued to sink, with inflation ticking up, interest rates climbing, unemployment growing. The budget surplus was projected to turn to a large deficit by 1984, and gas prices were intolerably high. Glenn had to act, act to strengthen the US economy, and get peace in the middle east. Conservatives demanded a return to the gold standard and large cuts to government spending to move America out of the crisis. Moderate Democrats weren't so sure, one of them was the President. He knew he wasn't actually going to be the man that brought back the gold standard, that was not going to happen. But was he going to make these cuts that conservatives wanted? Jesse Helms had drawn up cuts everywhere, and including Education which Glenn had regarded as untouchable. In Congress, Speaker Anderson tried to compromise with the White House despite blasting them on television. He offered to compromise with his proposed gas tax, and some small tax increases and with some cuts. Conservative Democrats were repelled, Liberal Republicans were similarly angry. Senator Charles Percy of Illinois declared that such a proposal would be a "betrayal of struggling Americans. We should not be hitting their livelihoods when they're hurting the most." Gridlock continued, as more Americans got pink slips.

Glenn's foreign trips were well received, he even made waves by shaking hands with Chernenko at an impromptu run in in Vienna hastily organized by staff, it lasted a few minutes but it was something. Glenn also made progress in trade, winning sizable concessions from the Japanese in trade talks over steel. It got him some good headlines in an otherwise difficult situation. In the middle east however the situation continued to get worse. Casualties mounted and more tankers hid the sea floor in flames. Glenn tried to organize cease fire talks, but ultimately they were to no avail. Neither side was ready for that, at this stage. Fortunately gas prices stopped their rise. President Romney had set forward tools for the next crisis, and Glenn was able to utilize his initiatives to stem the bleeding. But prices, if no longer rising, remained high. The situation remained tenuous.

The Republican investigations into the President continued, and announced some major findings. An unknown government official had organized sales of arms to the Iraqi government, but these arrangements had collapsed in late November of 1980, some found this suspicious giving the timing of Saddam's attempted occupation of Khuzestan. This brought a new cloud over the administration, although the President was not directly implicated in any official documents. Another memo was leaked detailing minutes of two unknown government officials discussing turnout irregularities in the 1976 Wyoming results, to the puzzlement of observers.

The presidential field was beginning to take shape. Jesse Helms running appeared inevitable, Paul Tsongas was mulling over a campaign, Vice President Carter loomed, even Henry Jackson mulling another go at it (despite his association with the catastrophic Mills campaign). On the Republican side, Jack Kemp appeared in, Jesse Jackson was publicly interested, Charles Percy and even Malcolm Wilson was interested in another go as the New York candidate, though many were looking elsewhere for the Empire State's standard bearer.

Glenn made an important decision in September. He ruffled feathers everywhere, he had to fight for every vote, but he got it done. President John Glenn shook hands with Speaker John Anderson to pass the "Economic Relief and Recovery Package of 1983." The bill made temporary cuts to spending to keep the budget balanced to reduce inflation, implemented a federal gas tax, and secured efforts to make more loans available to small businesses. The proposal was able to pass the House with the votes of moderates in both parties, and a handful of conservative and liberal votes, and in the Senate it passed with a similar moderate majority. Glenn signed into the law, a big step towards future recovery. Conservatives were infuriated by ignoring the gold issue, not cutting enough, not much in the way of big tax cuts and the gas tax. Liberals were furious that there were cuts to begin with. But the moderate coalition that lifted Glenn into the White House twice applauded the spirit of compromise. However many Republican insiders were mad that Anderson had given the President such a big victory before the next election. But he was a maverick.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #502 on: June 25, 2020, 10:29:46 PM »

Gallup Poll: President Glenn Job Approval October 1983

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 46%
Disapprove: 49%

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2020, 03:53:19 AM »

Go Kemp
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »

It’s Kemp time!
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #505 on: June 26, 2020, 09:36:13 AM »

I want Al Gore to be elected President in '88 or '92 (assuming he is still Senator as in RL). For '84 John Anderson would be awesome!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »

Bob

Wikimedia Commons

Bob waited by the pool of the motel. The motel was out of the way, near the I-95 around Baltimore but it took a few odd turns to get there. It was an ideal spot for the meeting. It was just after midnight, and Bob was sure nobody would be able to interrupt. He saw the car pull into the lot, its two headlights the most piercing lights, the distant lights of the cities and cars on the highways ahead and the motel's weak lights not comparing in the slightest. The dark silhouette stepped and stalked towards the pool where Bob stood. He hopped the fence and approached Bob.

"Woodward?"

"Yep, you are?" The man stopped a few feet rom Bob, his hat and the darkness obscuring his face.

"I'd prefer to remain anonymous."

"But you have what I'm looking for." asked Bob. What he had been promised in the anonymous letter he got would break the entire Iraq case wide open, and paint a damning picture of conflicts of interest and corruption in government. There was a brief pause, puzzling Bob.

"....not exactly."

"What do you mean? Why am I here?" The man stuffed his hand into his jacket to bring out a manilla folder.

"I have something far more interesting." The man reached out his arm, letting Bob take the folder.

"What's this?" asked Bob.

"Something you may find very interesting." Bob opened the folder, revealing a series of ledgers, photos, and transcripts. Wyoming? Turnout? Ballots? Van sighted? What was any of this?

Bob looked up from the folder and asked,

"Who is Gary Swale?"
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2020, 12:44:59 PM »

Inexplicably, this image flashes across the front of the minds of the Democratic Party leaders all at once:

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2020, 12:59:56 PM »

Tentatively rooting for Jackson and hoping a less problematic progressive jumps in.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #509 on: June 26, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »

Gallup Poll: President Glenn Job Approval January 1984

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 48%
Disapprove: 44%

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #510 on: June 26, 2020, 02:28:46 PM »

Charles Percy seems okay, though I'd like for John Andersen to run
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #511 on: June 26, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »

Currently in with Anderson or Percy, but if I'm being honest, my preferred candidate would be MLK.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #512 on: June 27, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2020, 04:21:41 PM by KaiserDave »

Reverend King on NBC

Youtube Still/Modified by Myself

Tom Brokaw: Hello today we've got the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Two time Nobel Peace Prize award winner, leader of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, civil rights icon, leader of two marches on Washington, one in 1963 and one just last year, and pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church for a very special one on one interview. Thank you for joining us Dr. King.

MLK: Of course Tom.

Tom Brokaw: Dr. King where do you believe this country is on the journey to living out the true meaning of its creed?

MLK: Well I'd say its complicated. It's not entirely clear where we are and I think the rest of the century will be crucial in answering that question. I will say this. I think we've made progress Tom. I believe as a nation we've made significant progress. In many places where in 1955 a black man appearing on the street would have been beaten, we now see black families and black businesses, and mingling freely with white Americans. In housing developments where "Negroes Prohibited" signs were posted on the gate we now have multiracial and diverse communities. In cities where there was nought by squalor for Black Americans we now see growth. But that is not the end of the story, Black Americans are still under Jim Crow's thumb too often. There is poverty of course, there is deprival of necessary medical care, there is police violence, there are courts which punish black Americans punitively, and there is a culture that still hates, yes hates blackness. It's a complicated picture.

Tom Brokaw: Dr. King with your resume, with your background, many Americans have clamored for you to run for President. In 1976, 1980, and for the coming 1984 race there have been committees to draft you to run, you've said no twice before, is there any chance you will reconsider?

MLK: Well thank you Tom, but it's unlikely. I do not believe electoral politics suits me, and I do not believe entering a divisive national contest would benefit the movement which I am a part of, and to which I am responsible. I engage with politics naturally, but I do not believe it would be good for me, my family, or the movement for me to leap such into electoral politics. But you can bet I will speak on it, and I will make my voice heard.

Tom Brokaw: You also rarely endorse presidential candidates, except for George Romney in 1968 and 1972, why is that?

MLK: I think those elections were critical for the life of Black America. In 1968 we had a choice between a brutal, racist, violent George Wallace administration and George Romney who made a strong case that he was the best President for all Americans, black Americans included. I can tell you that I may not endorse candidates, but I try to do what I can to elect fighters for justice at every level, I have endorsed Congressional candidates, local offices I have said who I am supporting. I can tell you this, and I think this is a good indicator of where I am politically. I voted for the Democratic ticket for most of my life. The first time I didn't vote for a Democrat was in 1964, and then voted Republican in the three presidential elections after that. I believe at the moment most black Americans vote Republican because the Democratic Party has continued to bow to the southern Dixiecrats who have tried to stop progress since the end of the Civil War, and the Republicans have made genuine efforts to guarantee better lives for black Americans.

Tom Brokaw: What do you believe are policies the movement needs to achieve now and that you are demanding?

MLK: Very similar to the demands of the Poor People's Campaign of 1968 when I was shot. We need a guaranteed minimum income, half a million affordable housing units, full employment, and for the American government to truly mend the wounds of 10 generations of injustice and invest strongly in black communities. I believe black Americans should vote for politicians who promise to bring equality and prosperity, and who don't dance around it.

Tom Brokaw: What do you make of the presidential field as it stands?

MLK: Well I hope the Democrats nominate someone not of Dixiecrat cloth. I would hope that Robert Kennedy would reenter the presidential arena but he doesn't seem interested. I think there a few liberal Democrats I would like to win the nomination, I think even Vice President Carter would be a decent choice of Democratic voters. As for the Republicans, it will be interesting. I think Abner Holton make a big effort to advance policies achieve equality, to establish justice. I was pleased with Bush picked him as his running mate. In 1984 I think well, Jesse Jackson is a strong voice, of course he speaks for many black Americans. His candidacy is immensely important, a black President would be a momentous step in this country and I wish him all the best. Jack Kemp is an interesting case, I think he's made great outreach to black America. He's gone on black radio, he's gone to black newspapers and black businesses. He clearly is someone who desires equality. But personally, I do not believe that his wholehearted embrace of capitalism is necessarily the best solution for black America, where white finance has so often run right over them.

Tom Brokaw: Finally Dr. King, tell me what America will look like in the year 2024, forty years from today.

MLK: America has given me reasons to be optimistic. I believe we will have a society where we are judging people by the content of their character, and I believe in time we will reach the top of the mountain. Now there will be challenges, there will be issues, and I believe we can meet them. At least that's why I hope.

Tom Brokaw: Thank you Dr. King, it's a pleasure.
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #513 on: June 27, 2020, 10:44:44 PM »

👀👀👀
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #514 on: June 28, 2020, 09:01:18 AM »

I'm for Percy right now. Hoping someone more progressive, in the mold of Bayh (maybe even the man himself) jumps in. I'm curious who the NY standard bearer will be, always loved New York politicians. I'd love it if Bella Abzug runs eventually.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2020, 10:52:51 PM »

Campaign 1984

Wikimedia Commons

November 5th: Charles Percy announces campaign for the presidency on a liberal platform. Pledges to enact a "new wave of progressive, forward thinking policies."

November 12th: Jack Kemp launches presidential campaign in Keene New Hampshire. Emphasizes sweeping tax cuts, tax relief for black and urban communities, strong support for individual tolerance and civil rights, and a subtle rejection of commitment to balanced budgets.

November 15th: Speaker Anderson announces widely expected second campaign. His platform is focused on pragmatism, but has a socially liberal spin.

November 19th: Vice President Carter shocks observers, declares he will not seek the presidency. Will instead focus on humanitarian efforts.

November 20th: Jack Kemp combines individual tolerance, pro immigration politics, and concern for black people with supply side economics. He's gaining support.

November 28th: Massachusetts Senator Paul Tsongas announces campaign focused on fiscal prudence

November 30th: Lloyd Bentsen announces campaign focused on tax relief and deregulation.

December 2nd: Presidential candidate Senator Jesse Helms receiving massive support from the religious right and ascendant conservative movement

December 4th: Sargent Shriver launches liberal campaign, receives endorsement of Robert and Ted Kennedy.

December 7th: Alexander Haig running as a Republican on a conservative campaign dismissive of a "bickering and overly deliberative political system that works for nobody."

December 8th: Businessman and son of Nelson Rockefeller Rodman Rockefeller shocks observers with sudden run for president. Attracts significant media buzz. He pledges to shake up "politics as usual"

December 10th: Adlai Stevenson III announces campaign, moderate in tone and style

December 11th: Jesse Jackson the instant favorite of the now quite sizable black Republican vote, but some like Jack Kemp.

December 15th: Republicans debate in Chicago. Observers agree Kemp's defense of supply side economics won the night. Balanced budget advocates reportedly spooked by Kemp.

December 17th: Jesse Helms and campaign advisor Pat Buchanan set forth "Three Point Plan for Prosperity." A Gold Standard, Spending Cuts, and a Balanced Budget Amendment."

December 19th: Harold Stassen launches yet another presidential campaign.

December 20th: Martin Luther King appears with Jesse Jackson in Atlanta but declines to endorse.

December 21st: Speaker Anderson is the favorite in New Hampshire, but can it stay that way?

December 22nd: President Glenn announces new energy conversation measures.

December 24th: George Bush endorses Senator Percy, a boon to his campaign.

December 25th: Christmas Poll shows Anderson and Percy leading the field. With a middle tier of Kemp, Jackson, and surprisingly, Rockefeller.

December 27th: Rodman Rockefeller's campaign combines outsider rhetoric with a vaguely liberal platform.

December 29th: Democrats debate, Helms calls out Tsongas for his support of the "homo agenda" and "endless foreign immigration."

December 30th: Former President George Wallace reportedly stepping aside from politics as insiders say he reconciles with his former support of segregation.

January 2nd: Republicans debate in Los Angeles, Jesse Jackson sends liberals and progressives into a frenzy with his wholehearted embrace of the MLK anti poverty agenda.

January 3rd: Jack Kemp's plan for black America? Massive tax incentives. Affirmative Action.

January 8th: Alexander Haig struggles to build support on a platform some describe as "authoritarian."

January 12nd: Iowa turning into battleground between Kemp and Percy for the Republicans, Helms and Stevenson for the Democrats.

January 15th: Kemp in hot water after saying, "I don't really care if homosexuals are in the military."

January 18th: Democrats debate, Bentsen performs well.

January 20th: Rodman Rockefeller's self funded campaign continues to chug along with new support.

January 27th: Speaker Anderson attacked by left of the party angry with his deal with President Glenn

January 30th: Jack Kemp's economic plan comes under scrutiny, progressives say it's a giveaway to the wealthy

February 3rd: Jesse Helms rising in the polls, President Glenn reportedly worried

February 7th: What does Rodman Rockefeller actually stand for? Voters aren't sure.

February 10th: Alexander Haig struggling to fundraise

February 11th: Washington Post front-page details how Colonel Oliver North facilitated arms sales to the Iraqi Government in exchange for not invading Iran until at least after the election to give the President an advantage. President not implicated, but the public is furious.

February 12th: Vice President Carter publicly denounces the conspiracy, reportedly without White House consent. Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. slams a "culture of corruption" in Washington.

February 14th: Alexander Haig releases puzzling statement that could be read as to excusing the conspiracy

February 15th: President Glenn declares in a Rose Garden press conference he had no knowledge of the conspiracy, says he will seek justice and punishment for any of those responsible.

February 16th: Rodman Rockefeller gaffes, saying "we need new ideas, new blood, better blood. Rockefeller blood." Remark leaves audience confused and bewildered.

February 17th: Iowa polls tighten as Kemp and Percy are neck and neck.

February 18th: Rockefeller announces support for broad guaranteed income to make up losses

February 19th: Democrats feud on the eve of the Iowa caucus. Tsongas says that "Senator helms will not only turn 1984 into 1972, but he will deserve it." Lloyd Bentsen's plan for economic deregulation and deficit reduction is assaulted by the liberal Shriver. Stevenson tries to sneak up the middle. Glenn reportedly favors Stevenson but remains quiet.

February 20th: Iowa Caucus promises close result

Iowa Caucus Results: Republican
Jack Kemp: 28.9%
Charles Percy: 26.8%
John B. Anderson: 19.6%
Rodman Rockefeller: 9.4%
Jesse Jackson: 3.4%
Alexander Haig: 1.7%
Harold Stassen: .3%

Iowa Caucus Results: Democrat
Jesse Helms: 29.3%
Adlai Stevenson: 25.5%
Lloyd Bentsen: 19.4%
Sargent Shriver: 14.8%
Paul Tsongas: 9.2%

Democratic Candidates
Paul Tsongas: Shooting Straight
Jesse Helms: Restore America
Lloyd Bentsen: For Stable Leadership
Sargent Shriver: A Brighter Future
Adlai Stevenson: Maintain Prosperity

Republican Candidates
Jesse Jackson: Your Vote Counts!
John B. Anderson: America Forward
Charles Percy: For Progress!
Jack Kemp: For a Better America
Rodman Rockefeller: Change Washington
Alexander Haig: Strong Leadership
Harold Stassen: (No Slogan)

Democratic Nationwide Polling
Lloyd Bentsen: 28.8%
Jesse Helms: 24.1%
Adlai Stevenson: 18.3%
Paul Tsongas: 13.6%
Sargent Shriver: 9.2%
Undecided/Other: 8%

Republican Nationwide Polling
Charles Percy: 24.8%
John B. Anderson: 21.6%
Jack Kemp: 16.4%
Jesse Jackson: 14.7%
Rodman Rockefeller: 10.1%
Alexander Haig: 2.6%
Harold Stassen: .5%
Undecided/Other: 9%
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #516 on: June 28, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »

Might support Percy as a tactical move. If/when Helms wins the nod I'm registering as a Republican.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #517 on: June 28, 2020, 10:58:47 PM »

Kemp!!!!!!!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #518 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:31 PM »

Kemp is significantly to his real-life self, but doesn't seemed to have moved that left on economics, anyways, I want Andersen for the Republicans and Lloyd Bentsen for the Democrats.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #519 on: June 29, 2020, 12:38:32 AM »

Might support Percy as a tactical move. If/when Helms wins the nod I'm registering as a Republican.

I would probably be mostly voting Republican by this point. But, if I was still registered as a Dem, Helms would be the final straw. Can’t say I’m too fond of Rodman (he reminds me of Dennis Rodman).

I’m leaning Percy on the Republican side and Shriver on the Democratic side.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #520 on: June 29, 2020, 03:51:09 AM »

Kemp is significantly to his real-life self, but doesn't seemed to have moved that left on economics, anyways, I want Andersen for the Republicans and Lloyd Bentsen for the Democrats.

If Kemp wins he literally could be the savior of the conservative movement that seemed dead by the late 70s
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #521 on: June 29, 2020, 05:09:31 AM »

Worried about Kemp. If he wins I would be a registered independent, since there would be no real left-wing party.
Go Percy!
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #522 on: June 29, 2020, 05:34:52 AM »

Charles Percy/John Anderson 1984!
UkrainianRepublican
Mr.Marat
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #523 on: June 29, 2020, 08:59:01 AM »

Go Kemp!

Kemp 1984!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #524 on: June 29, 2020, 09:24:49 AM »

I would probably be mostly voting Republican by this point. But, if I was still registered as a Dem, Helms would be the final straw. Can’t say I’m too fond of Rodman (he reminds me of Dennis Rodman).

I’m leaning Percy on the Republican side and Shriver on the Democratic side.
Yeah, I'm an R-leaning indy at this point, but Helms would be proof that the Democratic Party isn't willing to make room for me.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies