An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:36:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 40127 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2020, 09:43:50 PM »

I'm thinking Holton, but I'll probably go for the R nominee.

Do we have registered Republican Peebs?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #426 on: June 09, 2020, 10:35:09 PM »

I'm thinking Holton, but I'll probably go for the R nominee.

Do we have registered Republican Peebs?
Not yet, but I give it about a 90% chance of happening.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #427 on: June 10, 2020, 12:15:08 AM »

Go, Hugh Scott!. You must win!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #428 on: June 10, 2020, 02:46:53 PM »

I'm rooting for Stassen.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #429 on: June 10, 2020, 03:27:10 PM »

Id be for Crane
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #430 on: June 10, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »

Campaign 1980

Wikimedia Commons

January 23rd: Scott's triumph in Iowa shocks many, many GOP establish figures back his candidacy

January 28th: President Glenn hosts Anwar Sadat at White House, meeting is a diplomatic and media coup

February 2nd: John B. Anderson makes waves with his support for abortion rights and a gas tax. New Mexico prison riot highlights prison issues.

February 6th: Worry in the Bush camp as internal poll shows Bush trailing Anderson in New Hampshire

February 9th: Former President George Romney appears with National Security Advisor on a Civil Rights Panel

February 12th: Linwood Holton makes headlines with his Senate healthcare plan with Jacob Javits to expand Medicare to all adults. Phil Crane leaves the race.

February 15th: Malcolm Wilson unveils public works plan, tours Portsmouth dockyards

February 19th: Dr. King contemplates running for Congress, but adds that "there are things more important than politics, which erodes the heart and the soul."

February 21st: President Glenn announces grain embargo of the USSR

February 22nd: US Olympic Hockey Team Defeats Soviet Team, President Glenn's attendance boosts his approval ratings (somehow)

February 24th: Saddam Hussein mobilizes Iraqi Military

February 25th: George Bush makes New Hampshire headlines with an empathetic moment with local child, highlights his plans for disability and education reform

February 26th: New Hampshire primary begins. State Colleges are filled with new voters-Anderson voters.

Democratic New Hampshire Primary Results
John Glenn: 98.9% ✓
Lyndon LaRouche (write in): 1.1%

Republican New Hampshire Primary Results
George Bush: 27.8% ✓
John B. Anderson: 25.3%
Hugh Scott: 19.9%
Linwood Holton: 15.5%
Malcolm Wilson: 11.7%
Harold Stassen: .2%

February 27th: Bush's victory in New Hampshire vaults him forward into a comeback

March 2nd: Senator Birch Bayh hints that he favors Lin Holton, but refuses to say definitively

March 4th: Anderson edges out Bush in Massachusetts. Anderson wins Vermont with ease.

March 6th: Saddam Hussein makes radio announcement declaring the Iranian province of Khuzestan "a core province of Iraq." Doesn't act-yet.

March 8th: Lin Holton wins South Carolina with ease. Why? Black voters.

March 11th: Holton wins Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Campaign Manager Jesse Jackson enters the spotlight as a new black Republican figure.

March 13rd: Holton, Wilson, Scott, Bush, and Anderson debate in Illinois. Anderson comes out on top according to observers.

March 14th: Governor Wilson drops out of the race and endorses Bush

March 18th: Illinois primary occurs. Anderson barely edges out Bush after a recount. Many feel Anderson was denied key momentum. Hugh Scott in third.

March 22nd: Holton, Scott, Bush, and Anderson debate. Observers agree that Holton won.

March 25th: Bush wins Connecticut with ease

March 26th: Holton escalates attacks on Hugh Scott based on a variety of votes he made in the Senate, some now out of step with the GOP electorate despite Scott's overall moderate and liberal record

March 29th: George Bush receives endorsement of Bill Scranton and surprisingly, Edward Brooke. Brooke says Bush is "simply put, the best most qualified man for the job."

April 1st: Kansas win by Bush, in Wisconsin Scott edges out Bush. Anderson hemorrhaging funds.

April 3rd: General Secretary Suslov hosts Erich Honnecker, they jointly condemn "American petroleum imperialism" as Iran burns while U.S. Marines guard oil wells

April 5th: Bush deals Holton a stinging defeat in Louisiana

April 14th: Polls show Bush regaining strong lead over a divided opposition

April 15th: GlennCare (as it is now being known) is rolled out but there are issues with enrollment and implementation, which George Bush pounces on, calling it a "bureaucratic nightmare."

April 19th: Bush wins the Maine primary narrowly over Anderson.

April 22nd: Hugh Scott wins Pennsylvania by a smaller than expected margin

April 28th: Shah Reza Pahlavi II fires his Prime Minister, pledges to appoint a new one on the advise of a hypothetical elected parliament. Ali Khamenei leads more Islamists into the street.

May 3rd: Bush wins Arizona, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. Holton drops out of contention, but pledges to use his delegates to influence the party platform to keep it as liberal as in 1976. Hugh Scott suspends his campaign to reevaluate their chances, John Anderson continues his campaign.

May 4th: Josip Broz Tito dies, massive state funeral is attended by Vice President Carter.

May 6th: Bush wins D.C., Indiana, North Carolina, and Tennessee. Virtually securing the nomination.

May 10th: Hugh Scott ends campaign, endorses Bush.

May 18th: Mt. St. Hellens erupts, kills 57 and causes billions in damages. President Glenn and Vice President Carter visit disaster site, boosting approval ratings as Glenn's Rose Garden campaign continues to pay dividends.

May 21st: Empire Strikes Back is released, a massive critical success.

June 3rd: With victories in the last round of contests, with the exception of Rhode Island which is won by Anderson, Bush mathematically secures the nomination.

June 10th: Abdicated Shah Mohamed Reza Pahlavi succumbs to cancer. Asks his body to be returned to Iran in his will.

June 10th: President Romney endorses National Security Advisor Bush as the "best man for the job."

June 15th: Bush announces his running mate will be former candidate and Virginia Senator Linwood Holton.

June 18th: John Anderson endorses George Bush.

June 20th: Republicans release a rough draft of platform for 1980, observers comment on how it is broadly similar to the Birch Bayh platform, but without a strong commitment to Medicare for all.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #431 on: June 10, 2020, 05:17:14 PM »

F[inks] it, Bush/Holton.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #432 on: June 10, 2020, 05:20:50 PM »

Disappointed? Does picking Holton help?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #433 on: June 10, 2020, 05:30:13 PM »

I'm somewhat disappointed, but I'll live. Maybe if Bush impresses me, I'll officially register as a Republican.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #434 on: June 10, 2020, 07:26:26 PM »

That'll do. Anderson or Holton would have been better nominees, but Bush/Holton is still an excellent strategic bet.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #435 on: June 10, 2020, 07:45:09 PM »

That'll do. Anderson or Holton would have been better nominees, but Bush/Holton is still an excellent strategic bet.
Are you a registered Republican yet? When did you register as such in the TL?

Also, thoughts on ideological direction of the GOP?
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #436 on: June 10, 2020, 07:48:45 PM »

Are you a registered Republican yet? When did you register as such in the TL?

Also, thoughts on ideological direction of the GOP?

I certainly would be by now. Assuming I was of voting age in '76, I would have come over for Bayh.

Also, I love it. The GOP here is practically to the left of the OTL Democratic Party at the same period in history.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #437 on: June 10, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »

I suspect I'd have gone from D to I in around 1972 (after all, I was a Romney-Romney voter; I had no business being a Democrat after RFK got cucked), and a Republican in all but name in 1976 (considering I was a Birch Bitch).
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #438 on: June 10, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
« Edited: June 10, 2020, 09:51:49 PM by KaiserDave »

Republican National Convention: Detroit

George

Wikimedia

The balloons fell on George H. W. Bush as the convention cheered and applauded. Lin and his family had come on stage, and everyone was cheering loudly. President Romney was up as well, waving to the adoring crowd adorned with "Bush/Holton" and "Bush for President" signs as far as the eye could see. George certainly didn't expect to get the nomination in this way. Heck when he was RNC Chair the conservative movement was still alive, if maybe not well, but alive within the GOP. But now he looked out and he saw a crowd of liberals and moderates utterly foreign to the conservative movement, and utterly foreign to the current Democratic party. Things have indeed changed. Bush waved and reached his arm around Lin as they waved to the crowd.

"I was were you were four years ago Lin" said Bush to Lin, though it was completely inaudible to anyone but Lin. He turned to Lin, "this time we win." Lin smiled and laughed, Bush did as well as the cheers of the crowd continued.

Bush's speech had touched on his military service, his heroic and honestly simply crazy World War Two story, and the need for what he called "stoic, steady, and stable leadership in these times of turmoil." He warned of economic troubles ahead and declared that, "the only solution to these coming economic issues is a strong, robust, and unwavering investment in the American people." He made very few firm policy commitments, though he spoke of "universal healthcare", "aggressive enforcement of civil rights for all", and again and again of a "kinder, gentler nation." The crowd was excited, but Bush knew that they just weren't excited as in 1976. The platform was liberal, but somewhat more vague and more open to a more moderate interpretation than 1976. John B. Anderson was pleased for his part, his proposed cut in social security taxes was added to the platform. But the election was far from won. But Bush knew was going to do his darnedest to get a coalition over the line in 1980.

Republican Party Ticket: George Bush/Abner Holton

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #439 on: June 10, 2020, 10:12:51 PM »

Ugh go Glen I guess
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #440 on: June 10, 2020, 10:32:31 PM »

If Glenn has more foreign policy problems, Bush is going to clean the floor with him. In and out of this timeline, foreign policy was his life's work.
President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #441 on: June 10, 2020, 11:27:20 PM »

Again, great timeline so far. I assume that Glenn will squeak out a slight victory over Bush as Glenn is still popular and overall liked as President. Bush definitely could win though. Similar to the Election of 1976, it totally could go either way.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #442 on: June 11, 2020, 04:12:13 AM »

Love it! I'd personally be disappointed by the Bush win, and honestly probably prefer Glenn to win reelection to get someone more progressive in four years. Also kinda troubled by Jesse Jackson- is his um, opinion on Jews different ITTL?

The situation in Iran is also really interesting. Khomeini's death is a great boon and will hopefully, fingers crossed, allow a democratic revolution to prevail.

ITTL as an American, I'd probably be a registered Republican at this point (like many Jews, I imagine). In 1980 I'd probably end up voting for Bush but it'd be a close call.
Stm85
Rookie
United States

« Reply #443 on: June 11, 2020, 11:35:39 AM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #444 on: June 11, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »

K e m p i s  c o m i n g
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #445 on: June 11, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »

Love it! I'd personally be disappointed by the Bush win, and honestly probably prefer Glenn to win reelection to get someone more progressive in four years. Also kinda troubled by Jesse Jackson- is his um, opinion on Jews different ITTL?

The situation in Iran is also really interesting. Khomeini's death is a great boon and will hopefully, fingers crossed, allow a democratic revolution to prevail.

ITTL as an American, I'd probably be a registered Republican at this point (like many Jews, I imagine). In 1980 I'd probably end up voting for Bush but it'd be a close call.

Yeah Jesse has still got some problematic things to say
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #446 on: June 11, 2020, 10:30:56 PM »

Democratic National Convention: New Orleans

Wikimedia

John Glenn and Jimmy carter held their arms in the air as "Stars and Stripes Forever" played and the confetti fell from the ceiling. Cheering echoed from every corner of the room as American flags waved and posters of "Glenn/Carter" were held up across the hall. The Democratic Party had troubles sure, the ascendant conservatives were determined to pull the party right, the moderates stuck to the middle, and the remaining clique of liberals moped on the party and attempted to elect liberal Democrats at the local level where the liberal party holdouts still remained. The platform the party approved was moderate and characterized by bland patriotic content, filled with language on the American family, keeping taxes and spending low and budgets balanced, and a strong military. It didn't go into any really right wing territory, but 20 years ago Democrats would have been quite aghast with some of its proposals, such as opposition to the "growth of a welfare state of undue size."

John Glenn had hailed the past four years as a time of steady leadership, with healthcare reform, lower overall spending, and balanced budgeting leading the nation to a new prosperity. He asked the nation to trust him on the world stage, and emphasized the dreams of the future if America could sail through the current rapids, and how they could soar forward with four more years of steady leadership. Many attacked George Bush as detached from average Americans, and promised that only John Glenn could lead the nation forward. Now, would it be Glenn, or Bush in November, that was the question on everyone's mind.

Democratic Party Ticket: John Glenn/James Carter

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #447 on: June 11, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »

Endorsing Bush!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89