An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:49:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 40129 times)
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: June 15, 2020, 12:04:43 PM »

Oh, god, now America's really going to feel Cheney's influence.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #476 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »

Saddam should be feeling a lot more confident than in our history.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #477 on: June 15, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »

What is good 'ol Slick Willy Clinton up to?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #478 on: June 15, 2020, 04:28:38 PM »

His Arkansas political career is not doing well, and he also goes from girlfriend to girlfriend, not a great look.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #479 on: June 15, 2020, 04:44:21 PM »

Gallup Poll: President Glenn Job Approval December 1980

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 50%
Disapprove: 44%

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #480 on: June 16, 2020, 03:50:49 AM »

Happy Glenn won
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #481 on: June 16, 2020, 11:48:07 PM »

His Arkansas political career is not doing well, and he also goes from girlfriend to girlfriend, not a great look.

Lol.

Also kinda satisfied Glenn won because Bush would be meh. And wonderful post on Iraq, interesting to see how it goes!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #482 on: June 16, 2020, 11:53:59 PM »

With Glenn winning I'm very interested in how left the Republicans choose to go, will they go more left or try running to the center, or will they try to return to their right-wing roots, though that seems implausible since the Democrats have taken that spot. Also any updates on what Hillary Rodham is doing, it's been since the 1960's when we last heard of her. Also I probably missed it, but what exactly happened with the Iran Hostage Crisis? Did it not occur?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #483 on: June 17, 2020, 02:17:10 PM »

With Glenn winning I'm very interested in how left the Republicans choose to go, will they go more left or try running to the center, or will they try to return to their right-wing roots, though that seems implausible since the Democrats have taken that spot. Also any updates on what Hillary Rodham is doing, it's been since the 1960's when we last heard of her. Also I probably missed it, but what exactly happened with the Iran Hostage Crisis? Did it not occur?

Hillary will appear again within the next three posts or so

It didn't occur for a variety of reasons which start with the death of Ruhollah Khomeini in 1974.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #484 on: June 17, 2020, 05:09:49 PM »

It didn't occur for a variety of reasons which start with the death of Ruhollah Khomeini in 1974.

Hilldawg for Governor of Arkansas?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #485 on: June 17, 2020, 05:37:50 PM »

She's an Illinois girl married to an Illinois boy. She's not leaving Illinois.
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #486 on: June 18, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »

Rodham/Blagojevich ticket for Illinois?
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #487 on: June 18, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »

Ahhh sweet beautiful double corruption
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #488 on: June 18, 2020, 02:53:02 PM »

Ahhh sweet beautiful double corruption

I think she could even become Hillary Blagojevich haha, Dave said that she got married so I am assume she will not be Hillary Rodham.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #489 on: June 21, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »

Note: I've found many neocons who used to be Democrats. This will be fun.

Wikimedia Commons and Image Modified by Me

The Glenn Administration

President Glenn was sworn in for a second term at the East Portico of the Capitol Building by Chief Justice Marshall, Vice President Carter was sworn in by Associate Justice Potter at around noon on January 20th 1981. The President gave a speech extolling America's role in the world as a guardian of liberty, and with foreign policy chaos filling the headlines pledged to America an "unshakable column" of freedom and democracy. This speech however could not shake the headlines that had taken over the  news in the few months since the President's reelection. Iran and Iraq were now engaged in a bloody conflict, gas prices had skyrocketed, American troops and treasure were at risk, and the Executive Branch had seen many resign for yet unknown reasons. Iran's military council government was propelled by nationalism to mobilize the armies and send them against the enemy, though it was hardly politically stable. Meanwhile anti-American sentiment brewed as American troops guarded oil fields while Iranians threw themselves into death traps. All the while, Glenn's campaign promise of no war was shattered.

Glenn entered his second term looking to shake things up. Neoconservatives of the Henry Jackson school were thrilled. Longtime Democrat Jeane Kirkpatrick was installed in the Defense Department, another party man, James Baker was put in at the State Department. Vice President Carter was reportedly concerned with some of these appointments but supported them publicly. Glenn's first term had tended to sympathize with some dovish elements, but the second seemed far more aggressive. Glenn's administration took a hit when Iran and Iraq expanded their war to the Persian Gulf, waging a brutal tanker war that blew up oil prices. The administration took no side in the war directly, but simply did everything to secure the flow of oil. Meanwhile, they expanded support to anticommunist forces in Africa and Latin America. Oil prices however, continued to rise, stocks tumbled, and people panicked.

The Republican House launched a new investigation into the Glenn Administration's dealings with Iraq, as reports emerged of a quid pro quo between Baghdad and Washington, and one the broke down in December. All the while, the President's healthcare plan faced troubles with roll out. Enrollment centers faced bureaucratic difficulties, and many complained at lines outside local enrollment offices. Glenn pointed to the millions of Americans with health insurance who previously did not, but Republicans continued to make political hay out of it. With the economy stagnating, the President who had just been re-elected seemed to be in very dire straits. His nominee to the Supreme Court to replace Justice Potter, one Sandra Day O'Connor was well received and approved, but still, his station remained dire.

Back on the global stage, American jets got into a scuffle with Libyan jets above the Gulf of Sidra, which the Americans won. President Glenn ordered follow up air sweeps over Libyan airspace to assert American dominance. Soviet-American relations continued to sour with America's more aggressive turn, although the Soviets continued to be stuck in a never ending fight in Afghanistan. Missile negotiations with the US in Geneva went nowhere. One glimmer of hope for those seeking peace in a more dangerous world was a failed assassination attempt on Egyptian President Sadat. Despite being shot and injured by grenade shrapnel when attacked during a military parade, he survived his injuries and arrested those responsible. His popularity amongst the Egyptian people rose considerably.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #490 on: June 22, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »

Gallup Poll: President Glenn Job Approval November 1981

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 51%
Disapprove: 45%

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #491 on: June 24, 2020, 01:24:37 PM »

Wikimedia Commons and Image Modified by Me

The Glenn Administration

The rollercoaster continued into 1982 with the death of General Secretary of the CPSU Mikhail Suslov. Konstanin Chernenko, party conservative and ideological mastermind was elevated to the position of General Secretary, with Gromyko and Ustinov continuing to serve in a troika. This new leadership was equally conservative in regards to diplomacy with the west, opposing detente and more far reaching arms control. Glenn and Carter were happy to go along with this, as both were angered by Soviet posturing and the Afghanistan invasion. Glenn went so far as to make contacts with Afghan militias and move to support them with arms and intelligence.

However both Soviet and American economies were slowing. The American economy was stagnating, inflation was no longer falling, in fact it had begun to rise slightly. Gas prices had risen to very high levels, and consumer confidence was falling. Glenn met with congressional leaders, conservative Democrats like Helms wanted a return to the Gold Standard, liberal Democrats like Kennedy wanted economic stimulus and government intervention. Glenn was hesitant to commit to a gold standard, and opposed new spending that would run a deficit. It appeared his stubborn commitment to the middle was becoming a problem. He worked with the Federal Reserve to move 25 billion to back up the dollar, and recommitted to cease fire talks in Iran and Iraq to restore stability to global marketplaces. These talks were actually going well, President Sadat acted as a mediator and it looked like a temporary cease fire could be achieved, but the Iranian government was removed by a rival military faction at home, which had won support based a on promise to expel American troops from the country. Facing a difficult situation, Glenn was forced to withdraw the troops defending American oil interests. Oil prices rose further. Some had said 50 dollars a barrel would be its peak, but now it was at 80.

Glenn's approval fell dramatically, but he won conservative support when he declared to the press that, "Democrats, Republicans, they'll tell me to spend more, to print more money, to erase our surplus, and every time I'll push back, I will say no. I will not collapse the nation's economy through debt." But alas the economy continued to fall, Glenn's approach was effectively wait and see, doing little except trying to restore stability on a global stage. Unfortunately the Iran Iraq war raged on with more velocity than before. Glenn went back to the strategy that had won him reelection, acting like a leader. He went on a foreign tour, speaking to the British Parliament, meeting King Juan Carlos I of Spain, President Mitterrand in Paris, Chancellor Schmidt in Bonn, Prime Minister Begin in Tel Aviv, and was received by Emperor Hirohito in Tokyo. Glenn was very good at looking the part, but also looked to get every penny or job in trade and support diplomatic agreements. Unfortunately the global economy continued to struggle.

The House Republicans continued investigations into Glenn's Iraq policy, but not much reached the press as to what they were investigating. It was all very quiet. However some people were interested when a dossier from the investigation was leaked, the only document grabbed by the press relevant to the ongoing investigation. But it seemed to have nothing to do with Iraq at all, it was a spreadsheet with voting totals from Wyoming with scribbled notes on inconsistencies and turnout irregularities. However not many people were able to make heads or tails of it.

Glenn's healthcare program continued to be controversial. Rollout had improved but many bemoaned the costs which remained high, and while coverage had expanded, many remained uninsured, preferring to take risks with the world then pay the individual mandate fee. Speaker Anderson teamed up with Vermont's Jim Jeffords to promote a repeal and replacement plan, a plan to federalize Medicaid and expand Medicare to age 55. Progressives felt that the plan should go further, and Republicans were unable to unite to pass a plan in 1982. In any case it was unlikely to pass the Senate. Going into the 1982 midterms the Republicans were poised to make major gains, but Republicans had some problems as the last remnants of the conservative wing, the Reaganites of 1976 began to go to Democrats, many on defense issues. The results of the coming elections would certainly prove interesting.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #492 on: June 24, 2020, 03:31:13 PM »

Gallup Poll: President Glenn Job Approval August 1982

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 48%
Disapprove: 47%

President Biden Democrat
mrappaport1220
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #493 on: June 24, 2020, 06:48:09 PM »

Love your TL! So excited to see what happens next in the 1982 Midterms, 1984 General Election, and overall what foreign and domestic politics is like in the 2000s and 2010s! Great job so far!
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #494 on: June 24, 2020, 10:54:15 PM »

And Cheney's screwjob looks to come back around to bite an honest man.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2020, 10:57:41 PM »

The realignment looks to be complete, also interested in where the WY investigation goes, particularly, if Congress does find out that the election was indeed rigged.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #496 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:48 AM »

Fascinating as always!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #497 on: June 25, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »

Note: Anchor change!

Election 1982

Hello, I'm Dan Rather and this is the CBS Evening News. The votes have been counted, the results tallied, the victors decided, the results are in for midterm elections of 1982 and here they are.

United States House of Representatives
Republicans: 240 (+15)
Democrats: 195 (-15)

United States Senate
Democrats: 53 (-1)
Republicans: 47 (+1)

Flips: Missouri (D to R), Virginia (D to R), Wyoming (R to D)

Another midterm election, and another Democratic Senate and another Republican House. Majority Leader Senator Byrd holds one to a majority, if slightly smaller. Republicans picked up Missouri with John Danforth, and Virginia with John Warner. Democrats picked up Wyoming, but they lose a net of one seat, bringing their seat count down to 53, the smallest majority they've had since the Eisenhower administration. In the House of Representatives, Speaker Anderson expanded his majority, and has given the Republicans a grand total of 244 seats, the Democrats with 191. Minority Leader Hale Boggs said that while Democrats remain in a dire position in the House of Representatives, he remained committed to "providing a buffer against the run away agenda of Republicans which runs over middle America" and to "support our President." Speaker Anderson declared that, "there is deep dissatisfaction in this country, our economy is failing but the White House doesn't have the motivation or the strategy to do something." Republicans gained seats in New York City with several new African American representatives including Major Owens and Edolphus Towns, the Congressional Black Caucus has significantly grown in size. There are also Republican Hillary Rodham from Illinois, she nabbed a seat north of Chicago in a newly drawn district. When it comes to why Republicans have done so well we're looking at great economic dissatisfaction, polls suggest wide anger at the drooping economic situation, but there is also some good news for Democrats. Self described conservatives are now voting by a vast majority to the Democratic Party. Times have indeed changed.  This election is certainly another blow to a President already treading water, time will tell what his next move is....
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #498 on: June 25, 2020, 12:13:58 PM »

Not bad for a 6 year itch
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States