FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 131
Author Topic: FBI search warrant executed at Mar-a-Lago (Update: Trump Indicted!)  (Read 120578 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: August 12, 2022, 09:36:18 AM »

The media was famously silent on the issue of Hillary's emails
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #901 on: August 12, 2022, 09:43:22 AM »

As I recall there were only 3 e-mails that were actually classified and 2 of them shouldn't have been anymore.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #902 on: August 12, 2022, 09:53:18 AM »

Nothing official has happened with that 3pm deadline set for today, right? Or am I late to the party again as usual?

3pm deadline. Trump said he won't object, but his lawyers could obviously object and he could claim he had no say in the matter, sort of like he did with his tax returns. "I wanted to release them but my lawyers told me I can't!"
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #903 on: August 12, 2022, 09:56:08 AM »

Nothing official has happened with that 3pm deadline set for today, right? Or am I late to the party again as usual?

3pm deadline. Trump said he won't object, but his lawyers could obviously object and he could claim he had no say in the matter, sort of like he did with his tax returns. "I wanted to release them but my lawyers told me I can't!"

...actually that's not a terrible strategy PR-wise.  I can't believe I'm saying that. 
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #904 on: August 12, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »

...actually that's not a terrible strategy PR-wise.  I can't believe I'm saying that. 

But, importantly, it's a terrible strategy in court.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #905 on: August 12, 2022, 10:15:00 AM »

With all honesty this line alone describes about 75% of the Trump campaign.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #906 on: August 12, 2022, 10:36:35 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2022, 10:42:59 AM by xavier110 »

What I don't understand is what exactly did Trump expect to do with these documents.
This is why I don't buy this. Why would Trump want to help our advisaries? Doesn't make sense.

He spent four years working to help our adversaries and hurt/alienate our allies! *bangs head against desk*

So many things to consider. We know he doesn’t read, so why have these documents? Clearly he thinks they’re of value.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #907 on: August 12, 2022, 10:42:22 AM »

I'd like to actually see this statement to be certain given just how crazy this all is, but I will say that I don't see anything that indicates to me that this is satire or some other form of joke.

If it is real, wow that's a pretty clear indication that Trump 100% had classified nuclear documents.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #908 on: August 12, 2022, 10:54:09 AM »

Update, seems legit

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #909 on: August 12, 2022, 10:55:34 AM »

Both George Will and David Brooks have columns out which can be read as anti-DOJ which is a good sense of where Never Trumpers fall on this issue. Their instinct is to circle the wagons and attack the messenger.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #910 on: August 12, 2022, 11:03:44 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #911 on: August 12, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2022, 11:09:20 AM by Torie »

More from the NYT: The inventory list is going to be redacted it appears. The affidavit will probably never be released. So something is out there that really got the DOJ and the spooks "spooked."

"But the motion filed by Mr. Garland’s lead lawyer in the matter, Jay Bratt, the Justice Department’s top counterintelligence official, indicates the document might have significant redactions.

'Much will depend on how specific the inventory was: such inventories can be relatively sparse, detailing the part of the federal code potentially violated, or can be more detailed descriptions of the materials retrieved, according to former department officials.

'The most informative and sensitive document, an affidavit detailing the “probable cause” evidence that prompted Judge Reinhart to approve the search, will not be released now, or probably ever, department officials said on Thursday."

citizenZ
citizenq
United States

« Reply #912 on: August 12, 2022, 11:08:01 AM »

Man, if George Will and David Brooks are skeptical, that tells me it really probably won't amount to much. Even if it does, executive privilege is a really, really important thing.

The American people gave Trump alot of breathing space when they elected him in 2016.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #913 on: August 12, 2022, 11:17:37 AM »

Man, if George Will and David Brooks are skeptical, that tells me it really probably won't amount to much. Even if it does, executive privilege is a really, really important thing.

The American people gave Trump alot of breathing space when they elected him in 2016.

By your logic, that means they took it away when they defeated him in 2020.  But that's all irrelevant.  Popularity does not provide a get-out-of-jail-free card, even if -- or especially if -- the person's fans threaten violence if their idol is indicted/arrested/convicted.

I'll put it to you as a direct question, citizenq: do you think Trump should be above the law? Yes or no.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #914 on: August 12, 2022, 11:22:50 AM »

Update, seems legit

We have a serious matter, and the Orange Buffoon plays bigoted, childish games.
Beautiful.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #915 on: August 12, 2022, 11:22:59 AM »

Update, seems legit

So he absolutely had documents concerning nuclear weapons, then.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #916 on: August 12, 2022, 11:23:50 AM »

Anyone else uncomfortable with his thinly-veiled racism and Islamophobia?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #917 on: August 12, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »

Anyone else uncomfortable with his thinly-veiled racism and Islamophobia?

What?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #918 on: August 12, 2022, 11:25:54 AM »

Both George Will and David Brooks have columns out which can be read as anti-DOJ which is a good sense of where Never Trumpers fall on this issue. Their instinct is to circle the wagons and attack the messenger.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/opinion/fbi-trump-mar-a-lago-raid.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/11/merrick-garland-explain-mar-a-lago-search/

The above are the links to the two opinion pieces. Both are behind paywalls, and I only pay for the NYT. Brooks is most definitely not in the tank for Trump. He is just worried that it will reanimate Trump. George Will I cannot access behind the WAPO paywall,  but he says in his headline that Garland needs to show his hand.

Both articles are from yesterday and thus stale, since Garland did his thing (so check Will off the list), and we know that highly sensitive documents were in play threatening the national security. Presumably a further explanation will be made as to why the documents were not turned over pursuant to the subpoena and what led the DOJ to believe that Trump was stonewalling, and thus the need for surprise ala a search warrant.

If after all of that, Trump is in fact reanimated, then the point is not that Brooks is an enabler, it is that the half the American electorate is one sick puppy, which is Brooks’s point.

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #919 on: August 12, 2022, 11:26:44 AM »

I don’t see racism in the statement actually, it’s the interpretation some will have that is racist so I guess you could call it more of a dog whistle if you want.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #920 on: August 12, 2022, 11:27:24 AM »

You think Trump using Obama's middle name was for some benign reason?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #921 on: August 12, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »

What is with this dude's obsession with the number 33?
Spectator
United States

« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »

I don’t see racism in the statement actually, it’s the interpretation some will have that is racist so I guess you could call it more of a dog whistle if you want.

It is dog whistling, but this is nothing new with him. He’s just very predictably going to lie about how he can’t release it, and will claim it’s planted.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #923 on: August 12, 2022, 11:31:05 AM »

You think Trump using Obama's middle name was for some benign reason?

I guess but I wouldn’t call that bigoted . It’s an irrelevant matter though cause the “other guy did it too “ is a horrific defense
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #924 on: August 12, 2022, 11:42:40 AM »

FoxNews is going full crazy mode like they did before January 6, 2021. Then when something happens they'll be the first saying they didn't fan the flames and it's a stretch to talk about their responsibility in inciting violence.

So very predictably that happened.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 131  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies