Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:59:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 924970 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5450 on: March 03, 2022, 10:28:20 AM »

"Air superiority"

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #5451 on: March 03, 2022, 10:33:47 AM »

I feel like if Russia wasn't a nuclear power and NATO/American forces were involved through drone strikes and special forces, Russia would get kicked out and totally humiliated in a matter of days or 1-2 weeks. Mr. Putin would have to beg Biden, Macron and Zelensky for mercy.

Brest-Litovsk 2 when?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5452 on: March 03, 2022, 10:35:00 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5453 on: March 03, 2022, 10:37:37 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 11:05:01 AM by Person Man »

I feel like if Russia wasn't a nuclear power and NATO/American forces were involved through drone strikes and special forces, Russia would get kicked out and totally humiliated in a matter of days or 1-2 weeks. Mr. Putin would have to beg Biden, Macron and Zelensky for mercy.

Brest-Litovsk 2 when?

That obviously wasn’t enough. We need a Russian Morgenthau plan.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #5454 on: March 03, 2022, 10:38:25 AM »

I don't give much credibility to a source I've never heard of that's named after a North Korean symbol. But if true that is ridiculous.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #5455 on: March 03, 2022, 10:39:19 AM »

Link to the last batch of Logical's maps? the search function in this board is horrid
compucomp

« Reply #5456 on: March 03, 2022, 10:40:43 AM »

I don't give much credibility to a source I've never heard of that's named after a North Korean symbol. But if true that is ridiculous.

It's corroborated by the Hill, with named sources. This would be a huge departure for American foreign policy, to truly make a stand on principle while ignoring the obvious and unfavorable geopolitical implications.

The Biden administration is weighing whether to impose sanctions against India over its stockpile of and reliance on Russian military equipment as part of the wide-ranging consequences the West is seeking to impose on Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine.

Donald Lu, the assistant secretary of state for South Asian affairs, on Thursday told lawmakers in a hearing that the administration is weighing how threatening India's historically close military relationship with Russia is to U.S. security.

“It’s a question we’re looking at very closely, as the administration is looking at the broader question over whether to apply sanctions under CAATSA or to waive those sanctions,” Lu said. 

The Countering American Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), passed in 2017 in the wake of the Kremlin’s interference in U.S. elections, includes the authority to sanction transactions with Russian defense or intelligence sectors.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5457 on: March 03, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »

Difficult to work out whether the Brest-Litovsk Zwei stans are being ironic or not, but worth remembering that present day Russia is essentially within the borders of what was agreed at Brest-Litovsk.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5458 on: March 03, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »

Link to the last batch of Logical's maps? the search function in this board is horrid

Wikipedia is a pretty good and constantly updated map: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Russian_invasion_of_Ukraine
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5459 on: March 03, 2022, 10:43:27 AM »

It's corroborated by the Hill, with named sources. This would be a huge departure for American foreign policy, to truly make a stand on principle while ignoring the obvious and unfavorable geopolitical implications.

The Biden administration is weighing whether to impose sanctions against India over its stockpile of and reliance on Russian military equipment as part of the wide-ranging consequences the West is seeking to impose on Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine.

Donald Lu, the assistant secretary of state for South Asian affairs, on Thursday told lawmakers in a hearing that the administration is weighing how threatening India's historically close military relationship with Russia is to U.S. security.

“It’s a question we’re looking at very closely, as the administration is looking at the broader question over whether to apply sanctions under CAATSA or to waive those sanctions,” Lu said.  

The Countering American Adversaries Through Sanctions Act (CAATSA), passed in 2017 in the wake of the Kremlin’s interference in U.S. elections, includes the authority to sanction transactions with Russian defense or intelligence sectors.

It’s quite clear that not only has Putin (evidently) cracked, but that the invasion of Ukraine has also broken the brains of most Western leaders too. Disturbing times.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #5460 on: March 03, 2022, 10:46:26 AM »

This twitter account : https://twitter.com/jominiw
Logical

« Reply #5461 on: March 03, 2022, 10:48:25 AM »

I'm starting to think that Putin has actually gone insane.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #5462 on: March 03, 2022, 10:50:03 AM »

rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #5463 on: March 03, 2022, 10:52:01 AM »

There is a deep irony in all of this.

When the Russian economy goes down the toilet I wonder how many people in the Luhansk and Donetsk People's Republics will be having a rethink about joining Mother Russia...
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5464 on: March 03, 2022, 10:53:50 AM »

Big IF true, almost reminds me of Hitler in the bunker in March/April 1945, tbh.

I really hope the FSB or apparatus takes him out rather sooner than later. Even if you're ignorant enough not to bother about Ukraine, he's totally destroying Russia's economy and reputation that will take decades to rebuild. Is an occupation with massive resistance and asymmetric warfare worth it? Putin is totally insane.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5465 on: March 03, 2022, 11:02:03 AM »

Su-24s are 1970s-vintage strike aircraft with the NATO reporting name "Fencer". If those are managing to strike Russian convoys, then their air defence is shocking.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5466 on: March 03, 2022, 11:12:02 AM »

If Putin attempts to take control of all of UA, he's gonna lose.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5467 on: March 03, 2022, 11:12:57 AM »

Y’all do know that CAATSA has been a thing since 2017, right? Even Trump had to weigh whether India would face sanctions lmfao. Biden will probably waive these anyways, it’s sad that not even Atlas posters do their own research.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #5468 on: March 03, 2022, 11:14:20 AM »

Difficult to work out whether the Brest-Litovsk Zwei stans are being ironic or not, but worth remembering that present day Russia is essentially within the borders of what was agreed at Brest-Litovsk.

Gee, I wonder...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5469 on: March 03, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »

Gee, I wonder...
If there is one thing that’s clear, it’s that this whole Ukraine crisis has broken Cassius’s brain.
compucomp

« Reply #5470 on: March 03, 2022, 11:15:58 AM »

Y’all do know that CAATSA has been a thing since 2017, right? Even Trump had to weigh whether India would face sanctions lmfao. Biden will probably waive these anyways, it’s sad that not even Atlas posters do their own research.

After thinking about it for a bit, the most likely explanation is that the Americans are trying to intimidate India into changing their position on the war. This is not likely to be well received by India, no country likes to be pushed around and having it done publicly makes it even worse.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5471 on: March 03, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »

Gee, I wonder...
If there is one thing that’s clear, it’s that this whole Ukraine crisis has broken Cassius’s brain.

I mean, my brain’s been broken since I read the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of History from cover to cover in 2000, but I’m not the one dismantling the global economy in order to make a point.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5472 on: March 03, 2022, 11:32:20 AM »

After thinking about it for a bit, the most likely explanation is that the Americans are trying to intimidate India into changing their position on the war. This is not likely to be well received by India, no country likes to be pushed around and having it done publicly makes it even worse.
Listen Kanga, repeating the false talking points of Winnie the Pooh won’t get you into his den.
Let me make this clear, Biden has to make a decision here. Under CAATSA, these things HAVE to be considered. This isn’t some new development, back in 2020 Turkey was sanctioned in very certain areas because they bought a missile system from Russia. Heck even Nordstream has been threatened in the past due to CAATSA. Unless Biden actually implements any sanctions whatsoever and doesn’t just waive them, you all are going nuts over standard procedure.
And even IF Biden did impose a set of sanctions on India, it would be very niche and would represent a microscopic bit of the giant US-Indian trade industry. Look I also was confused about this at first, but I did some research because it seemed a bit strange, you should do that too, it’s not that difficult and maybe Xi will even give you extra social credit if you find some better talking points.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5473 on: March 03, 2022, 11:35:23 AM »

Gee, I wonder...

I mean, my brain’s been broken since I read the Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of History from cover to cover in 2000, but I’m not the one dismantling the global economy in order to make a point.
Yes, because the reason we are imposing sanctions is totally to own the Russkies and not because they decided to invade a sovereign nation of 40 million people and now are literally razing cities to the f**king ground.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #5474 on: March 03, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »

Anonymous Continuing the Cyberwar Against Russian Aggression:

This isn’t “Anonymous”. That account was co-opted by the CIA over five years ago. Pure propaganda.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 217 218 [219] 220 221 222 223 224 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies