Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:31:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1172
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 924996 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5425 on: March 03, 2022, 03:26:22 AM »

Russian Forces now Moving Towards Mykolaiev  in force on the Southern Front:

"
After capturing the strategic city of Kherson, Russian forces pushed west on Thursday, bearing down on another important port city, Mykolaiev, the city’s mayor, Oleksandr Senkevych, said in an interview. Mr. Senkevych said roughly 800 Russian vehicles, including a column of rocket launchers, was headed toward Mykolaiev from the north, east and south. As of Thursday morning, there had been no shelling inside the city, but Ukrainian forces dug in on the city’s perimeter have been fired on by long range rockets, forcing them to move positions constantly, Mr. Senkevych said, adding: “The city is ready for war.

"

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/02/world/ukraine-russia-war#trains-russia-finland

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5426 on: March 03, 2022, 05:00:02 AM »

Caspian Report came out with a new video yesterday.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5427 on: March 03, 2022, 05:30:45 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 05:41:25 AM by Meclazine »

Ukrainian troops applying racist policies against the refugees currently fleeing the country.

Refugees are reportedly being separated at the border between:

1.  white people; and
2.  black and brown people.

https://time.com/6153276/ukraine-refugees-racism/

“We entered the train last,” Kass says, describing how she and other African women were forced to wait outside as snow was falling, while white women and children were allowed to board before them. She believes her gender is the only reason she was spared being beaten. Groups of Nepalese, Indian and Somalian men described to TIME how they were kicked and beaten with batons by Ukrainian guards who later begrudgingly allowed them to cross over, on foot."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/03/02/ukrainians-go-first-how-black-and-brown-people-are-struggling-to-escape-the-russian-invasi

"The soldiers there, they tell you: ‘you are going to stay here, you are fleeing the war, stay here, you are going to fight with us, you are not going to leave, especially you black people’.”

The last beating of black people in the Ukraine would have been by the Nazi SS Einsatzgruppen in 1941.
ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #5428 on: March 03, 2022, 05:33:32 AM »

An interesting take on Ukraine and NATO security from a retired British general.

I hope he's wrong about the Baltic states but unfortunately i could see the logic from the Kremlins pov about a quick strike and take it over and then threaten the west with nukes if they dare to try and take it back. I hope though that the current showing from the Russian army in Ukraine will stop such ideas though.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5429 on: March 03, 2022, 05:46:05 AM »

Soviet T34 tanks of the 3rd Guards Tank Army on the streets of Lviv

For a minute, I thought Ukraine had brought T-34s back into service. The Donetsk proxies used at least one.

I forgot to add April 1944.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5430 on: March 03, 2022, 05:52:51 AM »

For a minute, I thought Ukraine had brought T-34s back into service. The Donetsk proxies used at least one.

Unlikely as USSR did not capture Lvov until late July 1944
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #5431 on: March 03, 2022, 06:20:27 AM »

The last beating of black people in the Ukraine would have been by the Nazi SS Einsatzgruppen in 1941.

Unlikely there were any black people in Ukraine in 1941.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5432 on: March 03, 2022, 06:22:45 AM »

Unlikely as USSR did not capture Lvov until late July 1944

They didn't know where they were going and rocked up three months early.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5433 on: March 03, 2022, 06:32:43 AM »

Unlikely there were any black people in Ukraine in 1941.

Ukraine had quite a prevalent African-Ukrainian population.

Pictured here (L-R) are: Dmytro Voronovskyi, Volodymyr Bolharyn, Slavko Lomachynska, Oleksandr Likhvald and Yuriy Lavrenyuk.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5434 on: March 03, 2022, 07:08:32 AM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5435 on: March 03, 2022, 07:51:11 AM »

Ukrainian troops applying racist policies against the refugees currently fleeing the country.

Refugees are reportedly being separated at the border between:

1.  white people; and
2.  black and brown people.

https://time.com/6153276/ukraine-refugees-racism/

“We entered the train last,” Kass says, describing how she and other African women were forced to wait outside as snow was falling, while white women and children were allowed to board before them. She believes her gender is the only reason she was spared being beaten. Groups of Nepalese, Indian and Somalian men described to TIME how they were kicked and beaten with batons by Ukrainian guards who later begrudgingly allowed them to cross over, on foot."

https://www.euronews.com/travel/2022/03/02/ukrainians-go-first-how-black-and-brown-people-are-struggling-to-escape-the-russian-invasi

"The soldiers there, they tell you: ‘you are going to stay here, you are fleeing the war, stay here, you are going to fight with us, you are not going to leave, especially you black people’.”

Ukraine is probably trying to figure out which ones are Indians.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5436 on: March 03, 2022, 08:10:55 AM »

Another seizure of a Russian oligarch's superyacht, this time by France.

France has seized a yacht owned by Russian oligarch Igor Sechin, the French finance ministry said in a statement on Thursday.

Sechin is the CEO of Russian oil giant Rosneft. The European Union sanctioned Sechin earlier this week, describing him as one of Russian President Vladimir Putin's "most trusted and closest advisors, as well as his personal friend."

The yacht, named "Amore Vero" — or "True Love" in Italian — arrived at the French Mediterranean port of La Ciotat in January. It was scheduled to leave the port on April 1.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/03/business/oligarch-superyacht-seized/index.html
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5437 on: March 03, 2022, 08:28:41 AM »

Something to keep in mind:

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5438 on: March 03, 2022, 08:34:50 AM »

In addition to the ca. 1,900 missiles and grenades Germany has already delivered to Ukraine (or authorized the Netherlands to do so), there will now be another shipment of 2,700 Strela-2 surface-to-air missiles.

In a twist of historical irony the Strela-2 is of Soviet production and is coming from the depots of the former East German army.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5439 on: March 03, 2022, 08:37:40 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 09:18:13 AM by Torie »

An interesting take on Ukraine and NATO security from a retired British general.

I hope he's wrong about the Baltic states but unfortunately i could see the logic from the Kremlins pov about a quick strike and take it over and then threaten the west with nukes if they dare to try and take it back. I hope though that the current showing from the Russian army in Ukraine will stop such ideas though.

You sit there listening to a man who is basically saying that it's back to a redux of the cold war, but this time the West is in a much more vulnerable position, and that Putin does not have the bureaucracy of a politburo to tell him no when he wants to use nukes. There are no such checks and balances. And then he of course questions whether the will is there in the West to divert trillions of dollars on a crash basis to preparing to wage the cold war with adequate deterrence, with the ensuing crash in standards of living. You want to dismiss this man as having read too many cold war turned hot novels - a doomerist on steroids - but given his credentials as you listen to this superbly articulate and informed and measured man, that off ramp into surcease is rendered unavailable.

The equally articulate chap lobbing out the questions did not however bring up the business of political assassination. That is almost certainly just as well. One just doesn't discuss such things publically in serious circles.

It's all seems quite grim. The guy also draws the obvious inference as to what is implied by that 40 mile column of the Russian military sitting on the road without much if any apparent molestation. I had hoped that perhaps he might draw a less obvious one based on his expertise, but no. There was no tapestry of any optimism whatsoever interwoven into the fabric of his analysis. It was unremittingly bleak.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5440 on: March 03, 2022, 08:48:14 AM »

Torie, making me look up words.  "surcease", really? Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5441 on: March 03, 2022, 09:11:02 AM »

You sit there listening to a man who is basically saying that it's back to a redux of the cold war, but this time the West is in a much more vulnerable position, and that Putin does not have the bureaucracy of a politboro (sp) to tell him no when he wants to use nukes. There are no such checks and balances. And then he of course questions whether the will is there in the West to divert trillions of dollars on a crash basis to preparing to wage the cold war with adequate deterrence, with the ensuing crash in standards of living. You want to dismiss this man as having read too many cold war turned hot novels - a dommerist on steroids - but given his credentials as you listen to this superbly articulate and informed and measured man, that off ramp into surcease is rendered unavailable.

The equally articulate chap lobbing out the questions did not however bring up the business of political assassination. That is almost certainly just as well. One just doesn't discuss such things publically in serious circles.

It's all seems quite grim. The guy also draws the obvious inference as to what is implied by that 40 mile column of the Russian military sitting on the road without much if any apparent molestation. I had hoped that perhaps he might share a far less obvious one based on his expertise, but no. There was no tapestry of any optimism whatsoever interwoven into the fabric of his analysis. It was unremittingly bleak.

It is what it is.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5442 on: March 03, 2022, 09:19:46 AM »

Changes on the frontline: Ukraine appears to have had some success in the Kyiv area with Bucha and Vyshorod now under total Ukrainian control. Further East the situation is more dire, with the Russians reaching Makiivka and Lebedyn. Balakliia has been fully captured by the Russians.

While the Ukrainians have held out well in Kyiv and are making city control difficult, the Russian advance throughout the rural east is moving along well, with cities such as Sumy, Kharkiv, and Kyiv all potentially at risk of being encircled.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5443 on: March 03, 2022, 09:27:01 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2022, 06:14:28 PM by Torie »

Torie, making me look up words.  "surcease", really? Smiley

My Dad was a superb writer, and my love affair with words has been with me from my very earliest memories. In due course, I on the off topic board will put up a letter he typed out to to his parents in Brooklyn as he sat in a hotel room. The place is Hollywood, the year is 1928, and the topic is his impressions of tinsel town. He does not mince words.

Anyway, blame my Dad for this aspect of my character. He was my role model. I adored the man.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5444 on: March 03, 2022, 09:53:28 AM »

Big companies are shutting down Russia business en masse and pull out.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5445 on: March 03, 2022, 09:57:02 AM »

At this point it’s a question of whether Ukraine falls first, or Russia cracks first.

Has been from day one.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5446 on: March 03, 2022, 10:14:04 AM »

If the Ukrainians have already killed a general by day 8, things really aren't going well for Russia.

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5447 on: March 03, 2022, 10:21:09 AM »

As for the "how well are things going for Russia?" question, why would the introduction of martial law even be strongly rumoured if it was all going swimmingly and everybody there loved the war??
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5448 on: March 03, 2022, 10:22:50 AM »

I feel like if Russia wasn't a nuclear power and NATO/American forces were involved through drone strikes and special forces, Russia would get kicked out and totally humiliated in a matter of days or 1-2 weeks. Mr. Putin would have to beg Biden, Macron and Zelensky for mercy.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5449 on: March 03, 2022, 10:25:34 AM »

I feel like if Russia wasn't a nuclear power and NATO/American forces were involved through drone strikes and special forces, Russia would get kicked out and totally humiliated in a matter of days or 1-2 weeks. Mr. Putin would have to beg Biden, Macron and Zelensky for mercy.

They would be in Moscow within a month and the peace agreed to would be very similar to what Saddam was subjected to in 1991.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 ... 1172  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies