Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 876259 times)
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« on: February 24, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 12:22:35 AM »

Really is an information war. Lots of fake news reports, particularly coming from the losing side.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 10:06:27 PM »

Is Moldavia going to be next?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 10:35:00 AM »

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »

Anonymous Continuing the Cyberwar Against Russian Aggression:

This isn’t “Anonymous”. That account was co-opted by the CIA over five years ago. Pure propaganda.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 10:50:01 PM »

So much disinfo and wishcasting. It's okay to condemn Russia but let's be honest about this situation.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:22:26 PM »

Sort of curious as to what you believe has been posted that is 'disinfo' by people on this thread.
Every single article and tweet. People are free to post whatever they want, but should be mindful of what they're sharing.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 11:25:23 PM »

So much disinfo and wishcasting. It's okay to condemn Russia but let's be honest about this situation.

You make a mockery of everything America stands for.

By all means, surrender your passport and emigrate to your dream country of Russia or Belarus, traitor.

Isolationist paleocons disgust me, especially when they don't even have a remotely coherent ideology and try on political ideals like they are new sets of pajamas each day the way you do.

I hope to hell you are just a kid going through some stupid edgelord phase. If you are an adult with a supposedly developed mind, you are beyond saving. Literally the type of motherf--ker who would have sided with Father Coughlin, Charles Lindbergh, and the other "America First!" Nazis over FDR and the rest of the US. All of these people should have summarily had their citizenship stripped and been deported as far as I am concerned.
How can I be a traitor to Ukraine if I'm in America?

Why should Americans born in America who don't want to be involved in adventures overseas be stripped of citizenship?

The war machine is clearly manufacturing consent for a proxy war. Look no further than the pathological liar from Crowdstrike fanning the flames of despair.

We should dislike Russia for the economic terrorism they're committing. Not getting involved in regional territorial squabbles.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 11:34:49 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2022, 11:43:10 PM by BG-NY »

Okay? That's a very strong statement to make without a single ounce of proof to back it up. I have a feeling you're being overly generic/broad to avoid having to back anything up though, so whatever you want to believe.

People are doing their best to suss-out accurate information on a very volatile situation. Of course everyone should be 'mindful' and approach anything posted with due caution/skepticism but I've personally found this thread to be a great source of largely verifiable and pretty well-sourced facts about the current 'Special Military Operation' as I'm sure you call it.
Ghost of Kiev/Helicopters shot down/9k Russian deaths->40% of anti-air destroyed/Russia increasing from 200 to 300 sorties daily/stories planted by hackers

Nobody knows what the operations costs have been for Russia, sure. Tanks also have been rendered useless. But observers should be prepared for the inevitable.

Unlike you, I learn from history.

You are a traitor for parroting the propaganda of a nation that has been the de facto archenemy of the US for several decades.

You don't deserve your citizenship because you are an insanely selfish, small-minded individual who apparently believes that "F--k you, got mine!" is a way of life, and that being privileged enough to be born a citizen of the world's greatest superpower comes with no responsibilities to match. Who also apparently believes that his own perceived personal comfort is vastly more important than the lives of millions around the globe.

Nothing more dishonorable or disgraceful on the planet to me. Especially now that we KNOW better, precisely BECAUSE we saw the horrors of WW2. Nothing sickens me more than those who actively refuse to learn from history when the facts are right there in front of them, plain to see.
Russia, the EU, China, and all other adversaries of the US should be held at an arm's length.

There are no responsibilities for being born in America except to other Americans.

Stop fetishizing foreigners.

People deserve citizenship because they are born to people with citizenship. Most of my ancestors have been in this country for 7+ generations, with the most recent family members having migrated here 4 generations ago.

You don't get to strip somebody of their homeland because they don't want to fight in a glorified Civil War on the other side of the world.

EDIT: Just saw you invoked WW2. You realize Germany declared war on the US, and had plans to attack the US for years, right?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 02:39:57 AM »

You confided in me on disqus that you were posting pro-Russia stuff on the general forum to upset a mod. Well what’s your motivation here then you immature clown?
(1) I confided in you that most of it is, however I do believe it when I say Russia didn't hack the DNC.
(2) I have a major issue from disinfo from both sides. I have a similar issue with Russia's "Denazification" lunacy.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2022, 08:50:07 PM »

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2022, 05:33:52 PM »

Is it an acceptable viewpoint to you all to think that what Russia is doing is wrong and that Ukraine's allies have the right to support their efforts, but to oppose US membership in NATO?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2022, 05:36:26 PM »

Well, it's a viewpoint that's acceptable but dumb.
How is it dumb from the position of Americans? What do Americans gain directly from supporting NATO?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 05:54:07 PM »

While I am strongly non interventionist, it's important to have friends.

America First is a good idea, America Alone could be catastrophic.
Everything in geopolitics is transactional, though.

What is Europe providing in the relationship? They have stauncher tariffs than we do, support mass migration (that will eventually hit the US), and are collectively intervening more than does the US.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2022, 06:00:21 PM »

You are changing the parameters of your initial question here.

My assessment that is a "dumb" position to take was in direct reference to your statement that "what Russia is doing is wrong and that Ukraine's allies have the right to support their efforts, but to oppose US membership in NATO".

This is of course a contradictory or at least self-defeating position to take because a unified NATO that includes the United States is the best way to counter Russia and help Ukraine.
Are you suggesting it's a dumb position for Ukraine's sake, Europe's sake, or from America's sake? My point here is what is good for Europe isn't necessarily good for America. Hence it may be "dumb" from Europe's POV to not support America's membership in NATO, but is it dumb *from America's POV* to not support America's membership in NATO?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 09:26:29 PM »

Regretably, Mariupol has fallen.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 11:47:47 AM »

#EndForeignAidToAllCountriesNow

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 10:32:25 AM »

So this is something I’ve been wondering about for a while. PNTR with Russia was pulled months ago. But there hasn’t been any movement on tariffs.

Why won’t Biden place tariffs on Russia? Is he going to soon?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2022, 04:22:59 AM »

So this is something I’ve been wondering about for a while. PNTR with Russia was pulled months ago. But there hasn’t been any movement on tariffs.

Why won’t Biden place tariffs on Russia? Is he going to soon?

I know you have an obsession with 19th century economic policy, but big tariff walls are not actually a good idea. And why would Biden do that when we already have a high prices crisis? This wouldn't do much additional damage to the Russians anyway.
I am considering voting for Biden in 2024 because he isn’t a free trader.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »

There is zero mention in the Western media about this amazing accomplishment by the Russian Galiia Sharafetdinova that became the second woman in history to get a perfect score in IMO.  So the need to go after Russia is even overriding the woken agenda of gender equity.  
Incredibly disappointing to hear. This is a very impressive achievement (on the other hand, it looks like the Ukrainian Ihor is mentioned in at least one Western outlet). At least this isn't as bad as the Medvedev ban at Wimbledon.

Russian citizens aren't soldiers...they didn't endorse this war. Do we have any outside polling on support anyway? Have to imagine a majority of Russians don't support the effort.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2022, 06:17:21 PM »

I saw a video of the closing ceremony.  It seems they had an electronic board with a list of contestants that had a perfect score of 42.  But instead of listing all 9 such contestants, they had a list of 8 names leaving out the Russian girl that had a perfect score.   This feels like Cultural Revolution tactics.
I never made it close to IMO (was 2xUSAMO Soph/Junior year in HS and performed mediocrely both times), but know the types of kids who were medalists from college. They dedicate their entire childhoods to math competitions. Literally finishing on top of the world, perfect score, and then your achievements are washed away. Unless the reports are incorrect, this is absolutely disgusting.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 11:57:41 PM »

Troubling recent trend - In subways and on corners in NYC the last few days, there have been a number of fraudulent and/or corrupt charities soliciting pro-Ukraine donations. Always investigate an organization before you send your hard-earned money.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2022, 12:02:36 AM »

Those suggestions (and some others suggesting Ukraine will "win the war") almost certainly aren't literal, it's just showing solidarity against invaders.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 11:15:34 PM »

Russia needs to get out of there immediately and pay reparations for this invasion. It's 2022. Borders mean something. Can't invade a damned country.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies