Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 08:09:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 1168
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 906954 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4825 on: March 01, 2022, 01:03:24 PM »

Buried lede: that map clearly features a U.S. 1st Cavalry Division patch. They're at least considering American intervention.

Relatedly, the U.S. military is standing up stockpiled equipment in Europe to compose the 3rd armored brigade combat team in the region. So, along with the airborne & cavalry divisions, there's now a division's worth of U.S. armor in Europe.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4826 on: March 01, 2022, 01:07:45 PM »

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #4827 on: March 01, 2022, 01:10:24 PM »

One thing which I've recently been noting is how much we are being taken for a ride by our "allies" in the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia and the UAE, but also Israel. It's well known that we basically give Israel unconditional geopolitical support despite what I'd characterize as pretty heinous crimes in occupied Palestine, but we also have given the Saudis aid in their murderous campaigns in Yemen and Syria as well as their broader conflict in Iran, and what do we now have to show for it? All three of them hedging their bets on a 19th-century style imperialist invasion, and Saudi Arabia can't even bring itself to increase oil production? While Iran has been pushed firmly into the Russian sphere? What a disaster.

It’s not just Middle-East countries, but Global South in general that is neutral at this conflict. Reasonably so.

India has ties with US and is a democratic country and it still is positioning with neutrality. This is an European war, countries like Israel and those others, don’t think it’s something that concerns them to get involved.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4828 on: March 01, 2022, 01:14:23 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4829 on: March 01, 2022, 01:16:05 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...

Imminent NATO enlargement?
Omega21

« Reply #4830 on: March 01, 2022, 01:16:19 PM »

Giant explosion in Kharkov (most likely not a thermobaric, since a fire can be seen before the explosion, indicating it is most likely a large fuel depot or munitions storage)

The full power of Russian MLRS has also been unleashed

AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #4831 on: March 01, 2022, 01:20:00 PM »

This should have been done on day one:

Distribute leaflets among those comically exposed columns...
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #4832 on: March 01, 2022, 01:20:06 PM »

Erdogan unironically being the best NATO leader in this conflict was not something that I had predicted.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #4833 on: March 01, 2022, 01:21:48 PM »

Gonna take this with a grain of salt until it is actually confirmed but if true, HOLY SH!T

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4834 on: March 01, 2022, 01:23:38 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...
I’m sorry, but I couldn’t resist:

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4835 on: March 01, 2022, 01:24:37 PM »

Gonna take this with a grain of salt until it is actually confirmed but if true, HOLY SH!T

Chad Ukrainians vs. Virgin Russian Assassins.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4836 on: March 01, 2022, 01:24:41 PM »

Erdogan unironically being the best NATO leader in this conflict was not something that I had predicted.
You know Putin's really messed up when I'm agreeing with Erdogan.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4837 on: March 01, 2022, 01:25:08 PM »

Oh my gosh if true that’s amazing and a major blow to Russian morale.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4838 on: March 01, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »

Oh my gosh if true that’s amazing and a major blow to Russian morale.

I just thought about it. Those National Guard types are completely nuts and probably coated their ammunition and weapons with lard. Sucks for them, I guess.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4839 on: March 01, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »

She’s calling up the Caroleans they’ve been keeping around in secret and they are taking Ingria back.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4840 on: March 01, 2022, 01:30:35 PM »

News on the southern front: Kamianka Dniprosvka has been reach and is being fought over. Meanwhile Enerhodar has been completely surrounded.

It seems the Russians have once again been pushed back from Mykolaiv.

Northeast of Kyiv, it looks like an isolated pocket of Russians (maybe airborne) is currently trying to take Bobrovytsia.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4841 on: March 01, 2022, 01:34:30 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 01:40:32 PM by Storr »

Supposed Spetsnaz troops (looks like Russia is running out of modern equipment either way, they're wearing rock hard soviet era rubber boots) flying over what Russian media claims is Ukraine using what look to be ancient helicopters. It was perfect material for a Fortunate Son edit. Let's hope this is Russia's Vietnam:

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4842 on: March 01, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »

If you read carefully through this thread, you can determine why NATO hasn’t directly intervened.

Despite what some “Russia stronk Russian nukes WWIII” posters think, it’s not because NATO is afraid of Russia.

The goal is regime change in Russia, brought about by Putin’s own actions in Ukraine.

As long as NATO doesn’t directly intervene in Ukraine, Putin can’t use it as a rallying cry tO pRoTeCt MoThEr RuSsIa. Because sadly there absolutely are many Russians who would see it that way.

So NATO/EU/the West in general will do everything they can up to the line of direct intervention to aid Ukraine.

I understand this policy; I don’t like how hard it is on the Ukrainians, but at least I grasp the logic.

Good on the EU.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4843 on: March 01, 2022, 01:37:09 PM »

Big, if true.

use it against them

DO IT!
I would love seeing Mother Russia destroyed by Ukraine. We wouldn’t even need to put boots on the ground if that were the case.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4844 on: March 01, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me actually. The Kadyrovites were less of a military force but just a bunch of thugs to terrorize the populace and would stand against a real military about as well as a street gang or bunch of Mafia guys. They're like the Venezuelan military, good at terrorizing the civilian populace, absolutely worthless for anything else.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4845 on: March 01, 2022, 01:38:53 PM »

If you read carefully through this thread, you can determine why NATO hasn’t directly intervened.

Despite what some “Russia stronk Russian nukes WWIII” posters think, it’s not because NATO is afraid of Russia.

The goal is regime change in Russia, brought about by Putin’s own actions in Ukraine.

As long as NATO doesn’t directly intervene in Ukraine, Putin can’t use it as a rallying cry tO pRoTeCt MoThEr RuSsIa. Because sadly there absolutely are many Russians who would see it that way.

So NATO/EU/the West in general will do everything they can up to the line of direct intervention to aid Ukraine.

I understand this policy; I don’t like how hard it is on the Ukrainians, but at least I grasp the logic.

Good on the EU.

I would of vulgarly pumped my wrist on the way out.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4846 on: March 01, 2022, 01:39:27 PM »

Good on the EU.
…Okay this is the first good reason I have seen against NATO in Ukraine. This makes a lot more sense than nuclear threats.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #4847 on: March 01, 2022, 01:43:29 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 02:15:12 PM by Farmlands »

Good on the EU.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible for me to believe that NATO is willing to intervene, when they've clearly said time and again they're not, because something something Russian rebellion. Only in a total defeat for Putin would that have a chance of occurring.

If Ukraine were to fall, the West would only stand by and watch. I still have hope for the first though.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4848 on: March 01, 2022, 01:44:46 PM »

I am curious with all this business with the Muslim Chechen soldiers

Asking AverageFoodEnthusiast, what do you believe is the Islamic theological perspective on this war and Muslims who fight for Putin?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4849 on: March 01, 2022, 01:47:35 PM »

Russian POWs that look at most 20 years old.

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 198 199 ... 1168  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies