Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:54:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 ... 1171
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919532 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4800 on: March 01, 2022, 11:57:10 AM »
« edited: March 01, 2022, 12:01:31 PM by Storr »

So media facilities are military targets, after all. Thanks for clearing that up, Russia.

The ***** idiots missed the control center and hit the TV tower which killed at least five civilians.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4801 on: March 01, 2022, 11:59:44 AM »

Again, this makes no sense. I'm not Russian. I'm basically watching a football game here.

If your emotional investment in this conflict is comparable to a football game, then you may have a serious psychological problem. You are capable of empathy, right?

No he is not. Authoritarianism warps the mind.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4802 on: March 01, 2022, 12:04:16 PM »

Really nothing to add here. Pictures kind of speak for themselves.

May the Ukrainian resolve never be broken, they deserve the world.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4803 on: March 01, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »

Big, if true.

I doubt they were dumb enough to leave ammo in the thing, but it’s going to be a really bad day to be in one of those giant convoys if they did.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4804 on: March 01, 2022, 12:06:56 PM »

Because this is making me so angry here are some of the non-graphic images. If this doesn't get "the West" to get involved beyond dumping weapons into Ukraine, nothing will:

"for my native Kharkiv, these bitches must answer separately"

"Kharkiv after the racist attack."

NATO is full of war criminals and genocidal maniacs for not having a red line.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #4805 on: March 01, 2022, 12:07:32 PM »

Big, if true.

I doubt they were dumb enough to leave ammo in the thing, but it’s going to be a really bad day to be in one of those giant convoys if they did.

I mean, this entire war so far is a giant spotlight on the stupidity of the Russians so...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4806 on: March 01, 2022, 12:10:35 PM »

If this doesn't make you feel any kind emotion, idk man:
(with linked video of a British youtuber I enjoy, who simply likes exploring the ex-Soviet Union, riding west with Ukrainians on an earlier train)

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4807 on: March 01, 2022, 12:15:11 PM »

Who needs logistics and supply lines when you can simply loot the cities you invade?

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4808 on: March 01, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »

Who needs logistics and supply lines when you can simply loot the cities you invade?

I shouldn’t, but the tiny shopping carts make me laugh
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4809 on: March 01, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2022, 12:30:59 PM by UKRAINE IS GAME TO YOU??? »

To be fair this was part of Sherman's March to the Sea too, but in that case it was a deliberate part of the strategy and he communicated it to his troops beforehand.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4810 on: March 01, 2022, 12:29:26 PM »

Russian based ETFs trading in USA confirm levels below 2016 and around levels of 2008-2009. RUB falls to 115 throughout the day as Russia steps up offensive which implies no early end to fighting.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4811 on: March 01, 2022, 12:32:51 PM »

“But the official added that the Russian convoy has made “no appreciable movement” towards Kyiv, and soldiers are running out of food. The official said there is “no reason to doubt” reports that Russian soldiers are also punching holes in their own fuel tanks to stop their vehicles advancing.”

https://www.foxnews.com/live-news/russia-ukraine-war-day-6

Keep hope alive.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4812 on: March 01, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »

Russian based ETFs trading in USA confirm levels below 2016 and around levels of 2008-2009. RUB falls to 115 throughout the day as Russia steps up offensive which implies no early end to fighting.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #4813 on: March 01, 2022, 12:40:49 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-raises-equivalent-277-million-154154581.html

"Ukraine Raises Equivalent of $277 Million From Sale of War Bonds"

Not that much but impressive never the less for a government that there is a reasonable chance might not exist or exist in a much more degraded form as to not be able to pay in a few weeks.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4814 on: March 01, 2022, 12:41:14 PM »

Big, if true.

use it against them

DO IT!
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4815 on: March 01, 2022, 12:43:45 PM »

How's that 'Denazification' going, again?

Aftermath of that bombing:
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4816 on: March 01, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »

Not going to be posting all Night long, but here is one of those "Human Interest Stories" (Not my normal bag), in this case about a Ukrainian mechanic trying to sabotage a Super Yacht in Spain, which might indicate about some of the Ukrainian Diaspora scattered around Western Europe might be feeling these days....

*** WARNING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PERFORM AT HOME ***

(Long article so either buy your own subscription or use a monthly freebie).   Sad

"A Ukrainian mechanic heard about attacks in Kyiv, so he tried to sink a superyacht

By Brittany Shammas and Paulina Villegas8:36 p.m.

Taras Ostapchuk was on a break from his job as a yacht mechanic Saturday when he pulled up a news report on his cellphone.

Watching footage of a Russian missile striking an apartment building in Kyiv, the 55-year-old Ukrainian was devastated. Then he became angry because, by his account, the weapon may have been supplied by his boss.

The owner of the yacht he worked on — the $7 million Lady Anastasia, docked at the luxe Port Adriano on the Spanish island of Mallorca — is a Russian arms tycoon, he told authorities and reporters. The Washington Post was unable to confirm the yacht’s ownership Monday.

Ostapchuk decided to seek vengeance for his country — and sink the yacht.

“I told myself: ‘What do I need a job for if I don’t have a country?’ ” he told the Spanish newspaper Ultima Hora.

Ostapchuk, who was arrested by the Civil Guard national police, said in court testimony that he viewed his boss as a criminal because he sells weapons that could have been used against Ukrainians.

In court testimony and in media interviews, Ostapchuk described opening a valve in the Lady Anastasia’s machine room and another in its crew area. Not wanting to harm anyone, he told those aboard to abandon ship.

Three crew members protested, yelling that Ostapchuk was crazy. He reminded them that they, too, were Ukrainian and that their homeland was being attacked

...."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/02/28/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news/#link-6LTFCKIKSRGZFKOA2MHFEJCFKI

Ukranians are something else. More power to this guy. I hope he ends up getting off of the charges. I do wish he had disabled the yacht though so it could be seized and eventually sold off with the proceeds going to Ukranian refugees. I understand his anger and his actions though.

So basically the summarize the rest of the article, the judge ordered him released and according to his lawyer their is an investigation underway and he is facing potential charges of "damaging private property".

He left for his homeland on Monday and said he was planning on flying to Poland then heading to Kiev and as soon as he arrives will pick up arms for his country.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4817 on: March 01, 2022, 12:48:38 PM »

Free Ural-4320 and D-30 howitzer, fuel not included:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/t4d96v/abandoned_russian_truck_and_d20_howitzer_mykolaiv/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

My favorite comment: "More Babushka lawn ornaments!"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4818 on: March 01, 2022, 12:49:02 PM »

How's that 'Denazification' going, again?

Aftermath of that bombing:

I guess that’s denazification if you destroy evidence of the Holocaust. The Russian mission is a confession.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #4819 on: March 01, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »

One thing which I've recently been noting is how much we are being taken for a ride by our "allies" in the Middle East, particularly Saudi Arabia and the UAE, but also Israel. It's well known that we basically give Israel unconditional geopolitical support despite what I'd characterize as pretty heinous crimes in occupied Palestine, but we also have given the Saudis aid in their murderous campaigns in Yemen and Syria as well as their broader conflict in Iran, and what do we now have to show for it? All three of them hedging their bets on a 19th-century style imperialist invasion, and Saudi Arabia can't even bring itself to increase oil production? While Iran has been pushed firmly into the Russian sphere? What a disaster.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #4820 on: March 01, 2022, 12:55:16 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-raises-equivalent-277-million-154154581.html

"Ukraine Raises Equivalent of $277 Million From Sale of War Bonds"

Not that much but impressive never the less for a government that there is a reasonable chance might not exist or exist in a much more degraded form as to not be able to pay in a few weeks.

What fund buys Ukrainian bonds at this time?!? They probably won’t be honoured even if Ukraine holds on.

Meanwhile, the economic situation is getting pretty hairy in Russia. Sister-in-law spent a long time queuing for cash yesterday. If there isn’t substantive further progress for the Russians in Ukraine in the next few days than I foresee serious problems for Putin.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4821 on: March 01, 2022, 12:56:57 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4822 on: March 01, 2022, 12:59:01 PM »

certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #4823 on: March 01, 2022, 01:00:00 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...

IKEA mercenaries
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4824 on: March 01, 2022, 01:03:01 PM »

Beyond parody:

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 197 198 ... 1171  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies