Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:24:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread
« previous next »
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 200 ... 1171
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 919510 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4850 on: March 01, 2022, 01:48:29 PM »

EU now looking unlikely to send fighter jets to Ukraine per Washington Post update:

(More info in the article linked below)

"E.U. unlikely to send fighter jets to Ukraine, despite earlier vow

By Michael Birnbaum and Emily Rauhala1:21 p.m.

E.U. nations are probably not about to send fighter jets to Ukraine, despite a senior E.U. official’s vow that aircraft would be among the military aid the bloc planned to send to Kyiv, officials said Tuesday.

The rowed-back promise echoed a sense that the bloc was not able to help Ukraine at the speed its leaders are demanding, as Russian forces encircle some of the country’s biggest cities. Zelensky issued an emotional plea to the European Parliament on Tuesday for E.U. membership — also a step that the bloc is entertaining but that is far from resolved.

Inside a closed-door meeting on Sunday of E.U. foreign ministers, E.U. foreign policy chief Josep Borrell had put forward Bulgaria, Slovakia and Poland as countries that might send fighter jets to Ukraine, since all three countries have the Russian-made MiG-29s that are more compatible with the Ukrainian military than Western planes, according to officials familiar with the discussion.

But Bulgarian and Slovak leaders have now said that they do not plan to send fighter jets to Ukraine, despite Borrell’s declaration after the meeting that military aircraft would be among the lethal aid paid for by a new $555 million E.U. military fund that was approved by foreign ministers that day. Borrell did not identify the countries publicly

"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/01/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news/#link-MJFHXMJ5QFANJMZCKDFVLCVAPI
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4851 on: March 01, 2022, 01:53:37 PM »

Ukraine requesting assistance of satellite companies on real time Russian military movements per just posted Washington Post report.

(Full article in link at bottom of post).

"Ukraine asks satellite companies for images that provide ‘actionable intelligence’ on Russian troop movement

By Christian Davenport1:09 p.m.

"The Ukrainian Minister of Digital Transformation has asked several satellite companies to share imagery “to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine with actionable intelligence.”

In a letter to the companies, including Maxar, Planet and BlackSky, Mykhailo Fedorov wrote that Ukrainian defense forces “badly need the opportunity to watch the movement of Russian troops, especially at night when our technologies are blind.”

He added that “this is really the first major war in which commercially available satellite imagery may play a significant role in providing open-source information about troop movements, military buildups in neighboring countries, flows of refugees and more.

..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/01/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news/#link-AUGJD3RWD5EALIW4YPLYEU66RU
Omega21

« Reply #4852 on: March 01, 2022, 01:53:47 PM »

Another view of the Kharkov shelling tonight

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4853 on: March 01, 2022, 01:54:54 PM »

I am curious with all this business with the Muslim Chechen soldiers

Asking AverageFoodEnthusiast, what do you believe is the Islamic theological perspective on this war and Muslims who fight for Putin?
A lot of the Muslims who fight on Putin’s behalf are supporters of Wahhabism, so I don’t consider them true Muslims.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4854 on: March 01, 2022, 01:58:44 PM »

NYT Update from an hour or so ago regarding Russian soldiers morale issues.

(Click link at bottom of post for full article)

"Some Russian troops are surrendering or sabotaging vehicles rather than fight, a Pentagon official says.

WASHINGTON — Plagued by poor morale as well as fuel and food shortages, some Russian troops in Ukraine have surrendered en masse or sabotaged their own vehicles to avoid fighting, a senior Pentagon official said on Tuesday.

Some entire Russian units have laid down their arms without a fight after confronting surprisingly stiff Ukrainian defense, the official said. A significant number of the Russian troops are young conscripts who are poorly trained and ill-prepared for the all-out assault. And in some cases, Russian troops have deliberately punched holes in their vehicles’ gas tanks, presumably to avoid combat, the official said.

The Pentagon official declined to say how the military made these assessments — presumably a mosaic of intelligence including statements from captured Russian soldiers and communications intercepts — or how widespread these setbacks may be across the sprawling battlefield.

But taken together, these factors may help explain why Russian forces, including an ominous 40-mile convoy of tanks and armored vehicles near Kyiv, Ukraine’s capital, have come to a near crawl in the past day or two, U.S. officials said

...."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/01/world/ukraine-russia-war/some-russian-troops-are-surrendering-or-sabotaging-vehicles-rather-than-fight-a-pentagon-official-says
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4855 on: March 01, 2022, 01:59:22 PM »

Ukraine requesting assistance of satellite companies on real time Russian military movements per just posted Washington Post report.

[snip]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/01/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news/#link-AUGJD3RWD5EALIW4YPLYEU66RU

AKA Ukraine finding creative ways to go from asymmetric to near-peer.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4856 on: March 01, 2022, 01:59:25 PM »

If you read carefully through this thread, you can determine why NATO hasn’t directly intervened.

Despite what some “Russia stronk Russian nukes WWIII” posters think, it’s not because NATO is afraid of Russia.

The goal is regime change in Russia, brought about by Putin’s own actions in Ukraine.

As long as NATO doesn’t directly intervene in Ukraine, Putin can’t use it as a rallying cry tO pRoTeCt MoThEr RuSsIa. Because sadly there absolutely are many Russians who would see it that way.

So NATO/EU/the West in general will do everything they can up to the line of direct intervention to aid Ukraine.

I understand this policy; I don’t like how hard it is on the Ukrainians, but at least I grasp the logic.
Yeah, I don't buy this at all. Banking on the Russians overthrowing Putin by themselves is a stretch at best. It could happen, but I absolutely don't see NATO counting on this.

NATO is refraining from defending Ukraine because they are scared of nuclear war and because the Americans aren't really on board with entering into another war in general. I guarantee you that NATO would be totally on board if Joe Biden tomorrow said "let's kick out those damn russians". The rest of NATO is still too weak and too fragmented.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4857 on: March 01, 2022, 02:09:19 PM »

If you read carefully through this thread, you can determine why NATO hasn’t directly intervened.

Despite what some “Russia stronk Russian nukes WWIII” posters think, it’s not because NATO is afraid of Russia.

The goal is regime change in Russia, brought about by Putin’s own actions in Ukraine.

As long as NATO doesn’t directly intervene in Ukraine, Putin can’t use it as a rallying cry tO pRoTeCt MoThEr RuSsIa. Because sadly there absolutely are many Russians who would see it that way.

So NATO/EU/the West in general will do everything they can up to the line of direct intervention to aid Ukraine.

I understand this policy; I don’t like how hard it is on the Ukrainians, but at least I grasp the logic.
Yeah, I don't buy this at all. Banking on the Russians overthrowing Putin by themselves is a stretch at best. It could happen, but I absolutely don't see NATO counting on this.

NATO is refraining from defending Ukraine because they are scared of nuclear war and because the Americans aren't really on board with entering into another war in general. I guarantee you that NATO would be totally on board if Joe Biden tomorrow said "let's kick out those damn russians". The rest of NATO is still too weak and too fragmented.

NATO isn’t refraining from defending Ukraine, they are refraining from putting their own troops in because that’s how we’ve figured out how to do things without causing a human extinction event.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #4858 on: March 01, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...

Okay so this ended up being absolutely nothing, wow
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4859 on: March 01, 2022, 02:12:26 PM »

Good on the EU.

I'm sorry, but it's impossible for me to believe that NATO is willing to intervene, when they've clearly said time and again they're not, because something something Russian rebellion. Only in a total defeat for Putin would that have a chance of occurring.

If Ukraine were to fall, what the West would do is stand by and watch. I still have hope for the first.
I mean, Russia's whole narrative is that it is a war against NATO expansion. Maybe they think not feeding into that is better? It's an interesting move but maybe they know more than we do about the internal situation in Russia. I will reserve judgement for now, but if Ukraine falls and Putin is still in power, I will hold NATO and Joe Biden responsible.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4860 on: March 01, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »

NATO isn’t refraining from defending Ukraine, they are refraining from putting their own troops in because that’s how we’ve figured out how to do things without causing a human extinction event.
Let Russia do whatever genocide they want bcuz Putin said some empty threats that he would be unironically overthrown by his generals for if he tried to act on them.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4861 on: March 01, 2022, 02:16:00 PM »

The financial squeeze on Russia continues with a global commodities giant looking at reviewing their Russian portfolio per a couple minutes ago from the Wall Street Journal:

(Click on link below to read the article in full)

"Glencore to Review Stakes in Rosneft, EN+

By Alistair MacDonald

Commodities giant Glencore PLC said it is reviewing its business in Russia, including stakes in EN+ Group PLC—the controlling shareholder of the world’s No. 2 aluminum producer—and oil company Rosneft Oil Co.

The announcement Tuesday from the miner and commodities trader is the latest sign of how big Western companies are re-evaluating their exposure to Russia following its invasion of Ukraine. In recent days. BP PLC has said it plans to exit its near 20% stake in Rosneft, while rival Shell PLC has said it would pull back from joint projects in Russia.

“Glencore condemns the actions taken by the Russian government against the people of Ukraine,” the company said in a statement, adding that it was “reviewing all our business activities in the country.”

Glencore owns 10.55% of EN+, which controls United Co. Rusal International PJSC, and around 0.5% of Rosneft.

The Switzerland-based company is also a big trader of Rusal's metal and trades other Russian commodities, including its oil.

...."

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/russia-ukraine-latest-news-2022-03-01/card/glencore-to-review-stakes-in-rosneft-en--ZiHZnlRTeLbhTjTZ7w6G
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4862 on: March 01, 2022, 02:18:28 PM »

Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson will hold an extraordinary speech to the nation at 20:00 CET.

It will be about the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Whether she will tell some breaking news? We will see...

Okay so this ended up being absolutely nothing, wow
Swedish foreign policy for the last 300 years.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #4863 on: March 01, 2022, 02:18:32 PM »

Let Russia do whatever genocide they want bcuz Putin said some empty threats that he would be unironically overthrown by his generals for if he tried to act on them.

100 percent. What's happening in Kharkiv wouldn't be the case with NATO troops present on the ground. But neither would the devastation of the entire world, because not even Putin or his generals want it, and it's insane to think they would.
compucomp

« Reply #4864 on: March 01, 2022, 02:19:41 PM »

Ugh, what an embarrassing climbdown. It looked like it was finally time to stand up to the West and challenge them but didn't even last a week. It pains me to admit it but the Americans pushed us around on this. Now this is something I need to cope over.

China ready to ‘play a role’ in Ukraine ceasefire

China signalled it was ready to play a role in finding a ceasefire in Ukraine as it “deplored” the outbreak of conflict in its strongest comments yet on the war.

Beijing said it was “extremely concerned about the harm to civilians” in comments that came after a phone call between Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi and his Ukrainian counterpart Dmytro Kuleba.

“Ukraine is willing to strengthen communications with China and looks forward to China playing a role in realising a ceasefire,” the Chinese statement said on Tuesday.

It added that it respected “the territorial integrity of all countries”, without indicating whether Beijing accepted Russia’s claim to the Crimean peninsula or shared its recognition of separatists in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4865 on: March 01, 2022, 02:19:43 PM »

We are arming the hell out of them and crippling the Russian economy. That’s what we can do.

This isn’t about Putin’s empty threats, this is about the reality that the US and Russia are both capable of wiping out humanity and if they ever fought directly  it would happen.

It’s not a reaction to whatever bullsh**t Putin is seeking, it’s been that way for 70 years, Ivan and Joe start shooting and that’s it for the human race.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #4866 on: March 01, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »

Re: NATO possible policy explanation; I report, you decide Tongue

I guess we’ll see.
Omega21

« Reply #4867 on: March 01, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »

And this is why every resident of an autocratic country NEEDS to have some money in Crypto.

One wrong move against Big Daddy and all those numbers on their account balance suddenly mean nothing.

Absolution9
Rookie

« Reply #4868 on: March 01, 2022, 02:22:44 PM »

Massive escalation happening.  Unfortunately I suspect that Ukraine will be surrendering unconditionally either at tomorrow’s meetings or within the next week after the introduction of Russia’s tactical and strategic air power.  It’s been completely lacking so far but Russia has about 1000 tactical aircraft and over 150 strategic bombers.  They will also be using their artillery in a complete fashion.

I’m starting to get that this has all been a planned escalation curve.  Very sadly I also understand what Putin mean by de-nazification.  Basically the destruction of Ukrainian national identity by any means at least in Eastern/Central Ukraine.

Very sad situation about to unfold.  No way to stop it unless there is a palace coup (low probability), he has been prepping this since 2014/2015.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #4869 on: March 01, 2022, 02:23:06 PM »

100 percent. What's happening in Kharkiv wouldn't be the case with NATO troops present on the ground. But neither would the devastation of the entire world, because not even Putin or his generals want it, and it's insane to think they would.
Do I think Russia would use nukes is NATO troops got involved? No. They're playing a card in order to attempt to prevent NATO getting involved. I'd wager the reluctance by NATO to get involved is more due to public opinion at home. Would Americans, Britons, French, etc. be willing to accept the massive casualties that intervention would involve? But certainly leaders are worried about how Russia would react to NATO intervention, and nukes are a part of that worry.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4870 on: March 01, 2022, 02:23:22 PM »

Did you guys miss the Cold War?

We aren’t talking about just stationing troops or making a diplomatic move, we are talking about declaring war on Russia. Do you guys not get how Putin threatening nukes because sanctions is an obvious bluff but Russia threatening nuclear retaliation if we start shooting at them is real?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4871 on: March 01, 2022, 02:24:54 PM »

Do I think Russia would use nukes is NATO troops got involved? No. They're playing a card in order to attempt to prevent NATO getting involved. I'd wager the reluctance to get involved is more due to public opinion at home. But certainly leaders are worried about how Russia would react to NATO intervention, and nukes are a part of that worry.

Again, you guys don’t seem to get that NATO troops involved means ‘US declares war in Russia’

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4872 on: March 01, 2022, 02:25:58 PM »

Good article from the Wall Street Journal about difficulties in getting US military aid to Ukraine from a couple minutes back.

(Excerpts only from very long article--- click on link below for full article. WSJ monthly trial subscription is actually quite inexpensive and I'm glad I didn't cancel mine after the I stopped following Afghanistan).

"U.S. Rushes Arms to Ukraine as Russian Forces Escalate Attacks

With time potentially running out for Kyiv, U.S. and its allies confront limited supply routes and challenges providing right weapons

By Nancy A. Youssef and Courtney McBride

March 1, 2022 1:52 pm ET

U.S. efforts to provide Ukraine weapons to battle the Russian invasion are complicated by limited supply lines, a potentially small window to save Kyiv from collapse and a Cold War legacy that made Western small arms ammunition incompatible with those produced in the Eastern Bloc.

While acknowledging the challenges moving weapons into Ukraine amid escalating Russian attacks, the Pentagon believes U.S. and Western assistance is proving effective. “We believe it is getting into the right hands, that they are actively using these systems,” a senior defense official said Tuesday.

On Saturday, the Biden administration said that Washington would provide up to another $350 million in additional military aid to Ukraine, including lethal defensive assistance to Kyiv.

The weapons Washington intends to provide to Ukraine include U.S.-made Javelin antitank weapons, Stinger antiaircraft missiles as well as small arms and ammunition, U.S. officials said.

“The bigger challenge now is not necessarily getting the offers or the equipment, it’s getting the equipment into Ukraine and into the hands of the people who need it,” the diplomat said. “With a particular priority for antitank and anti-air capabilities, but also certain types of ammunition.”

Efforts are under way to move equipment into Ukraine via the “limited ingress points” available, the diplomat said. Alongside the U.S. Army’s 18th Airborne Corps, European governments are working to establish a sort of “international donor coordination center” that would establish lines of contact for countries seeking to provide materiel to Ukraine, while reducing the strain on local forces.

In Poland, for days, convoys of military transport trucks, escorted by police vehicles, have been headed over land to the Polish border with Ukraine, passing young Ukrainian men hitchhiking to join the fight. These shipments haven’t been hidden; rather, the Polish government has openly boasted of sending lethal aid to Ukraine.

More arms and ammunition are expected to flow through Poland’s overland routes, or those of neighboring countries, as Western governments shell out hundreds of millions of dollars to send Ukraine’s army fresh equipment.

One challenge, however, is providing equipment that Ukrainians can use. The Ukrainian military is largely armed with Soviet-era guns that use different caliber and shaped ammunition from similar U.S. weapons. Ukrainian citizens this week have been photographed carrying an AK-74, an updated Russian version of the assault rifle, which uses a different size caliber than standard-issue U.S. military weapons.

U.S. officials have said that they have provided a combination of standard and nonstandard ammunition to Ukraine. And the U.S. has also turned to allies for help in transferring non-U.S.-made ammunition, a defense official said

..."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-rushes-arms-to-ukraine-as-russian-forces-escalate-attacks-11646160746?st=0442wclomz0z5w5&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4873 on: March 01, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »

Ugh, what an embarrassing climbdown. It looked like it was finally time to stand up to the West and challenge them but didn't even last a week. It pains me to admit it but the Americans pushed us around on this. Now this is something I need to cope over.

China ready to ‘play a role’ in Ukraine ceasefire

China signalled it was ready to play a role in finding a ceasefire in Ukraine as it “deplored” the outbreak of conflict in its strongest comments yet on the war.

Beijing said it was “extremely concerned about the harm to civilians” in comments that came after a phone call between Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi and his Ukrainian counterpart Dmytro Kuleba.

“Ukraine is willing to strengthen communications with China and looks forward to China playing a role in realising a ceasefire,” the Chinese statement said on Tuesday.

It added that it respected “the territorial integrity of all countries”, without indicating whether Beijing accepted Russia’s claim to the Crimean peninsula or shared its recognition of separatists in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.

Good for China!

May the international squeeze on Putin continue to bear fruit and flourish!

Let a hundred flowers bloom; let a hundred schools of thought contend   百花齊放,百家爭鳴
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4874 on: March 01, 2022, 02:31:42 PM »

What is likely to be the last update on the EU jets story: https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-promise-to-supply-fighter-jets-to-ukraine-gets-grounded/

The Ukranian army post claiming jets would arrive has been deleted, and Poland has finally confirmed (after some ambiguity from their President) that it’s not happening.

Presumably, the Ukranian transports parked on a Polish airfield are for carrying other supplies or for safekeeping during a conflict they’re not fit for. Perhaps they came anticipating jets that were never guaranteed.

Romania was requested to give jets and refused to comment; the others refused. However, Romania did return the errant Ukranian Su-27 today, and the only other craft they have that Ukrainians could fly is the Yak-52 trainer (which is likely to be less impactful than a purpose-built fighter/bomber) and the MiG-21 (which is increasingly obsolete - outside of testing during refurbishment for other countries’ fleets, Ukraine hasn’t flown many of these for a long time).

Turkey has not responded to Ukraine’s request for more Bayraktars. They had ordered lots more at the start of the invasion proper, but new ones had to be manufactured and faster delivery would require some depletion of Turkish army or training stocks.

No mention of SAMs, but I would expect they’re not getting any of those, either. Expect RuAF supremacy soon, and more unchallenged convoys.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 199 200 ... 1171  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies