January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:08:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 151
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 146138 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2775 on: August 10, 2023, 02:51:10 PM »

Nice! Since Cannon rejected that time slot for MAL it's left nicely open for this.

If they did that schedule we might have a verdict before Super Tuesday. Although my guess if the judge will give it a few more months given quantity of discovery.
TRUMP is going to get convicted before the General Election at least in one case, maybe more. That's the big thing here.

Good Luck to the Republican Party to cope with this!

To be honest, I'm not sure whether this will actually have an impact on the electorate in the November election. Anyone who's still with Trump as of today won't abandon him because of that as they just see this a a political conspiracy to silence him.

He might lose some institutional support or from Republican officeholders/donor circles, but it won't matter all that much. He won in 2016 without their support as well.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2776 on: August 10, 2023, 02:55:29 PM »

Nice! Since Cannon rejected that time slot for MAL it's left nicely open for this.

If they did that schedule we might have a verdict before Super Tuesday. Although my guess if the judge will give it a few more months given quantity of discovery.
TRUMP is going to get convicted before the General Election at least in one case, maybe more. That's the big thing here.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether this will actually have an impact on the electorate in the November election. Anyone who's still with Trump as of today won't abandon him because of that as they just see this a a political conspiracy to silence him.

He might lose some institutional support or from Republican officeholders/donor circles, but it won't matter all that much. He won in 2016 without their support as well.

What it can do is bring those undecideds home to Biden in a big way.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2777 on: August 10, 2023, 02:59:21 PM »

I already think most of the undecides will break to Biden/Trump's challeger. I am not sure how anyone could be on the fence about Trump. You either support him or you don't.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2778 on: August 10, 2023, 03:03:31 PM »

If Trump is convicted he won’t be able to give a Convention Speech , attend any of the debates or actively campaign at all . So the charisma factor wouldn’t benefit him here
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2779 on: August 10, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »

Trump got 42 % in Cobb County, GA & 40 % in Gwinnett County, GA in 2020. Biden might be on track to with those two Counties with over 60 % of the Vote with a Trump Conviction. Trumps support in Maricopa County will crater. Biden actually might have a shot at Florida if he can win Pinellas, Hillsborough, Seminole and Duval County and increase his margin in Palm Beach and Broward.

Counties like Robeson in NC will flip to Biden. Biden will win Washoe County, NV by double digits.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2780 on: August 10, 2023, 03:09:33 PM »

Trump got 42 % in Cobb County, GA & 40 % in Gwinnett County, GA in 2020. Biden might be on track to with those two Counties with over 60 % of the Vote with a Trump Conviction. Trumps support in Maricopa County will crater. Biden actually might have a shot at Florida if he can win Pinellas, Hillsborough, Seminole and Duval County and increase his margin in Palm Beach and Broward.

Counties like Robeson in NC will flip to Biden. Biden will win Washoe County, NV by double digits.

Outside of “shot at Florida” and Robeson that sound reasonable.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2781 on: August 10, 2023, 03:16:34 PM »

If Trump is convicted he won’t be able to give a Convention Speech , attend any of the debates or actively campaign at all . So the charisma factor wouldn’t benefit him here

What's going to stop him? No law or the constitution prevent it. Technically he could still be elected from jail. Republicans won't stand up after a criminal conviction beyond the usual suspects like Romney or Hogan, who have no say in the party these days.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2782 on: August 10, 2023, 03:41:44 PM »

What's going to stop him? No law or the constitution prevent it. Technically he could still be elected from jail. Republicans won't stand up after a criminal conviction beyond the usual suspects like Romney or Hogan, who have no say in the party these days.

Sure but it is much much harder to run if you are unable to even campaign as keep in mind if Trump is convicted not only would he not be able to do the things I mention but he wouldn’t even able to coordinate a campaign. The reason is he’d have no internet access and no communication access other than limited visitation time so I don’t see a way where he can be able to run any sort of campaign. That would certainly hurt him among normie voters who really don’t follow politics at all.

Keep in mind the reason he came so close in 2020 is that he did have the power of incumbency , the US economy was roaring back quickly by the time of the election and democrats were the party associated with riots while now it’s the GOP who is associated with rioting .

Junior Chimp

« Reply #2783 on: August 10, 2023, 03:50:13 PM »

OSR,
People are also underestimating how many People would stay just home and not vote assuming Trump is convicted or how many would just skip the Presidential Race and vote Down Ballot.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2784 on: August 10, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »

The local crystal balls seem to be converging on a Tuesday indictment in the Fulton County case.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2785 on: August 10, 2023, 04:03:01 PM »

The local crystal balls seem to be converging on a Tuesday indictment in the Fulton County case.

Damn! One day after my birthday!
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2786 on: August 10, 2023, 04:03:32 PM »

GeorgiaModerate,
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2787 on: August 10, 2023, 06:42:31 PM »

A Thursday arraignment would be ideal.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2788 on: August 10, 2023, 09:12:53 PM »

Trump's not a fan of Jan 2.

Deranged Jack Smith has just asked for a trial on the Biden Indictment to take place on January 2nd., just ahead of the important Iowa Caucuses. Only an out of touch lunatic would ask for such a date, ONE DAY into the New Year,  and maximum Election Interference with IOWA! Such a trial, which should never take place due to my First Amendment Rights, and massive BIDEN CORRUPTION, should only happen, if at all, AFTER THE ELECTION. The same with other Fake Biden Indictments. ELECTION INTERFERENCE!
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2789 on: August 10, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »

Trump's not a fan of Jan 2.

Deranged Jack Smith has just asked for a trial on the Biden Indictment to take place on January 2nd., just ahead of the important Iowa Caucuses. Only an out of touch lunatic would ask for such a date, ONE DAY into the New Year,  and maximum Election Interference with IOWA! Such a trial, which should never take place due to my First Amendment Rights, and massive BIDEN CORRUPTION, should only happen, if at all, AFTER THE ELECTION. The same with other Fake Biden Indictments. ELECTION INTERFERENCE!

Why not just make it January 6th?

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2790 on: August 10, 2023, 10:06:50 PM »

I assume Jack Smith's team wants the Jan 6 trial done before starting the classified docs trial in May?

I also assume the New York trial in March will be postponed?

With four upcoming trials, its entirely possible Trump will be in court from Jan 2 to election day and beyond.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2791 on: August 10, 2023, 10:09:31 PM »

Bragg is ok with delaying his trial but it's up to the judge. I think it's likely that will be delayed though.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2792 on: August 11, 2023, 12:49:31 AM »

Sure he will. Even if convicted early next year he'll remain out on bond pending appeal for sure which won't be decided until probably after the election.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2793 on: August 11, 2023, 12:50:28 AM »

Sure he will. Even if convicted early next year he'll remain out on bond pending appeal for sure which won't be decided until probably after the election.

Can't the Appeals Court and Supreme Court just refuse to take up his appeal.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2794 on: August 11, 2023, 12:54:58 AM »

The US Supreme Court yes, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals no. He has a full right to appeal to the circuit. That appeal as I noted will take probably at least a year after sentencing give or take a month. And then there will be the inevitable request for en banc review assuming the conviction is upheld, and then a petition for review by The Supremes. The entire appeals process won't be over until notably after Inauguration Day
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2795 on: August 11, 2023, 12:57:05 AM »

The US Supreme Court yes, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals no. He has a full right to appeal to the circuit. That appeal as I noted will take probably at least a year after sentencing give or take a month. And then there will be the inevitable request for en banc review assuming the conviction is upheld, and then a petition for review by The Supremes. The entire appeals process won't be over until notably after Inauguration Day

Can't the Sentencing Judge and the Appeals Court judge remand him into custody while his appeal his pending. At the very least put him in House Arrest with no internet access.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2796 on: August 11, 2023, 09:52:49 AM »

In the protective order hearing, the judge rules the protective order will apply to sensitive materials only, not to everything in discovery. It's a win for the prosecution because they will be specifying what is sensitive.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2797 on: August 11, 2023, 09:54:57 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2798 on: August 11, 2023, 10:11:39 AM »

The judge seems determined to treat Trump like any other criminal defendant, which is good news for the rule of law.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2799 on: August 11, 2023, 11:03:30 AM »

It's nice to see a judge treating Trump like any other person as opposed to actively helping him, like Judge Cannon.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies