January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 136306 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: July 11, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »

Things are going very well and sane and normal and HOW DARE YOU for this particular defendant:

A Pennsylvania woman who allegedly stormed the Capitol and told a police officer to “bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that f—king bitch” has filed court documents claiming to be a divinely empowered entity immune from laws.

Pauline Bauer, a Pennsylvania pizzeria owner, is accused of multiple counts of violent entry, disruptive conduct, and obstruction of Congress after she allegedly broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6. Prosecutors allege that Bauer tried organizing buses to transport people to D.C. for a rally that preceded the riot, and that while in the Capitol rotunda she told police that she wanted to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But in what experts describe as an inadvisable legal strategy, Bauer has demanded to represent herself in court, appeared to threaten a court clerk with prison time, and declared herself a “self-governed individual” with special legal privileges.

Bauer does not simply appear in court, she clarified during a June 11 proceeding via Zoom. “I am here by special divine appearance, a living soul,” she told a judge that day, while stating that she did not want an attorney.

“I do not stand under the law,” she said. “Under Genesis 1, God gave man dominion over the law.”

So she's going with an insanity defense?

She's a sovereign citizen. I can tell from the language.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »

Things are going very well and sane and normal and HOW DARE YOU for this particular defendant:

A Pennsylvania woman who allegedly stormed the Capitol and told a police officer to “bring Nancy Pelosi out here now… we want to hang that f—king bitch” has filed court documents claiming to be a divinely empowered entity immune from laws.

Pauline Bauer, a Pennsylvania pizzeria owner, is accused of multiple counts of violent entry, disruptive conduct, and obstruction of Congress after she allegedly broke into the Capitol on Jan. 6. Prosecutors allege that Bauer tried organizing buses to transport people to D.C. for a rally that preceded the riot, and that while in the Capitol rotunda she told police that she wanted to kill House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

But in what experts describe as an inadvisable legal strategy, Bauer has demanded to represent herself in court, appeared to threaten a court clerk with prison time, and declared herself a “self-governed individual” with special legal privileges.

Bauer does not simply appear in court, she clarified during a June 11 proceeding via Zoom. “I am here by special divine appearance, a living soul,” she told a judge that day, while stating that she did not want an attorney.

“I do not stand under the law,” she said. “Under Genesis 1, God gave man dominion over the law.”

Things continue to go extremely well for Citizen Bauer of "Pennsylvania".

So she's going with an insanity defense?

She's a sovereign citizen. I can tell from the language.

I shall now accept my accolades, etc etc
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 08:51:35 AM »

All of the offenses boil down at the least to burglary (going into a place in which one is unauthorized and for which one has no compelling excuse, such as escaping a violent crime or a severe storm).
You are describing trespassing, not burglary. You do not burglarize a building merely through unauthorized entry. Burglary requires intent to commit a separate crime within.

Not necessarily. Depends a lot on interpretation of DC and federal law regarding the presence of other individuals other than co-conspirators.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 12:08:11 PM »

MLK made change without one single violent attack on the government. He would have never supported what happened on January 6th. And you all are constantly heard because you never shut up. Being heard doesn't mean winning elections.

These poor pampered middle class white people who have the largest TV network in the country parroting their news everyday, and several off shoots for people who I want out right fascism. These poor people who had the backing of one of the two major political parties through and through! Yes, the links 2 m l k and the people he spoke for are unmistakable!

Low info voter did not need the word voter in his username.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »

F**k off seriously. Anyone comparing 2000 to 2020 is either a dumbass, a jackass or both
I'm in my thirties and lived through Bush's presidency, so I'm not dumb enough to compare 2000 to 2020. The rigging in 2000 was abhorrent and Bush is the worst president of my lifetime (Biden might keep it close; he has done some good things but is doing a lot of damage).

Yes, yes, all politicians are evil and hate us besides Trump. Somehow he's different. We get it. Your charade isn't fooling anyone.
Trump isn't different, he's a coward after abandoning his supporters on 1/6 and letting the Secret Service and Michael T Pence whisk him back to the oval office. People shouldn't place faith in men, or they'll be let down time and time again. I don't want to have to vote for that coward again.

So your biggest concern about January 6th is that Trump didn't do enough to encourage and support his riotous supporters?

Edgelord Supreme status confirmed!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 12:50:48 PM »

Guys, I'm a bit hypocritical saying this after my last couple posts oh, but don't bother replying to low info voter. He's like a cheap knockoff brand version of big Abraham, whom himself is an awful poster. Total waste of bandwidth.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 12:53:27 PM »

Being someone who is vehemently anti-trump and anti far-right, as bad as Jan6 was for our country, there are a dozen other issues I wish Congress would focus on. I would hazard a guess that most other Americans feel the same. We all know this is going to go nowhere. It’ll be a waste of money and it’ll just give more ammo to Republicans so they can say “do nothing Democrats” again.

Not unfair points, but let's be honest that Congress can in fact do multiple things at once. Sadly, this is one of the few things Congress can actually accomplish outside of reconciliation due to the spinelessness of Joe manchin and Kristen Synema.

If you're worried about a backlash against the do-nothing Congress, then on a purely political level I suspect the inevitable Revelations about how numerous Congressional Republicans, possibly right up to McCarthy himself, were you either in communication or giving at least tacit support / cover up for the rioters.

Importantly though, a full inquiry is absolutely necessary for an event that literally ended America's near 250 your history of peaceful transition of power.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »

Somebody didn't follow the script that Carlson gave him.
In the full interview, Ibrahim says that his friend was an FBI informant, and that the FBI knew the friend was at the rally. It gets confusing because he talks of his brother who is an FBI agent and who was also at the rally and carrying his service weapon. The charging document uses the terms his friend and a relative.

During the Carlson interview, he mentions his brothers in Cuba, so perhaps he uses "brother" in a more figurative sense. He also says that he had gone up to a FBI SWAT team and offered to assist him. But the DOJ would not use "relative" in that sense, would they?

The charging document says he was participating in a WhatsApp Chat with other law enforcement officials, and one specifically asked if he were carrying his sidearm and DEA credentials.

One of the officers participating in the chat wrote, "Question Mark, you are carrying your duty weapon and your badge/creds? I need to know this mark."

Carlson asked Ibrahim if he saw other FBI infiltrators/provocateurs. He said he had not seen any. But since the FBI informant was a friend, he might not have been looking.

How great it is that our resident tinfoil-hat where is back and ready to blame the evil veteran government for instigating a riot that his own political team and Idol perpetrated. Goodness me how Atlas has missed his contributions. Roll Eyes
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 08:42:12 AM »

At this point there is no reason for Tulsi, Peterson or Van Drew to even respond to what Pelosi or any other Obama-Biden Democrats say since they clearly are finished electorally with the Democratic Party. On principle it's better to lose your position for telling the truth as opposed to keeping it for co-signing dangerous behavior. If Republicans behaved like Obama or Biden did I couldn't remain a part of the party.
Spicy take.

The irony here is beyond palpable, considering your entire participation in this thread, like most others, has been capcium oil level spicy takes.

Seriously, your sophomore year edgelord takes are as trying as they are nonsensical.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 08:37:12 AM »

Excellent choice.  Riggleman is a former intelligence analyst and was well respected by both sides during his time in the House.

I still can't get past the Bigfoot erotica thing though...

IMHO, you're both right. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »

I'm not sure I understand the significance here.. Random people people email government officials is hardly newsworthy
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »

How are these stories even real?  The creators of the matrix we live in went too far with this one.  The Trump movement is becoming too farcical.

It's been a mix of farce and horror the entire time.

I think the right is correct that we who don't agree with them are going to Hell. What they don't realize is that we already died and Hell is this country that exists with them in it and us forced to coexist with them.
This period the entire 4 years of the trumpet administration felt like one long episode of Arrested Development goes to Washington
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 03:16:48 AM »

US Capitol rioter 'sought to physically remove' Pelosi and McConnell, prosecutors say.

Justice Department prosecutors say they have evidence that an alleged rioter who brought a gun to the US Capitol on January 6 was targeting both House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and then-Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

According to a filing Thursday, Guy Reffitt, a member of the Texas Three Percenter militia, "specifically targeted at least two lawmakers -- the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, and then-Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell -- whom he sought to physically remove or displace from the Capitol building."

https://us.cnn.com/2021/12/03/politics/guy-reffitt-targetting-pelosi-mcconnell-january-6/index.html

But of course, we have trump-supporting blue avatars that continue to downplay the January 6th deadly Insurrection, and tell us it was just "this small thing, that got out of hand."

now now, that is not entirely fair.

There are trump apologists from a rainbow of avatar colors similarly gaslighting January 6th.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2021, 05:10:34 AM »

Meadows voted in contempt of Congress.

I know that Bannon thinks he's being cute by getting his trial put off until July, and presumably Meadows' attorneys will follow the same playbook of delay, delay, delay.....but what is their brilliant strategy when their trials finally happen next summer and (in Meadows' case) probably late summer or fall? The trials themselves I gather are expected to go fairly quickly? Then when they are found guilty (presumably - it seems fairly slam dunk to me since they have no claim of executive privilege in a very serious investigation), they are each facing a year in prison. Joe Biden will be President until Jan '25 so no one will be there to corruptly pardon these treasonous, criminal lowlifes.

Perhaps they are hoping to hold matters off until republicans take over after the midterms. I'm Not 100% sure how it works, butI believe a congressional majority we can vote to vacate contempt charges that are pending. Their trial has an even chance of still being pending come January of 23,And even if not they will remain out on bond for appeal which will surely still be pending after the midterms.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2021, 02:18:45 AM »

Not one name there is even slightly surprising.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2021, 03:18:09 AM »

Even junior knew this was **** that needed to be condemned ASAP.

Trump is the same as Mussolini after the March on Rome or Hitler after the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch. The fact that Trump isn't rotting in jail is deep stain on the American justice system.

Yes, but 95% of republicans don't care because the real threat to freedom in this country is of course from CRT and having to sometimes wear a piece of cloth over your face.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2021, 11:56:29 PM »

Trump asks Supreme Court to block release of his White House records to January 6 committee

Former President Donald Trump appealed to the Supreme Court on Thursday to block the release of documents from his White House to the House committee investigating the January 6 riot at the Capitol, escalating his effort to keep about 700 pages of records secret.

The House committee, which is charged with investigating the US Capitol attack to provide recommendations for preventing such assaults in the future, seeks the documents as it explores Trump's role in trying to overturn the election. That includes his appearance at a January 6 rally when he directed followers to go to the Capitol where lawmakers were set to certify the election results and "fight" for their county. The documents are currently held by the National Archives.

In filings submitted to the Supreme Court on Thursday, Trump asked the justices to take up a full review of the case and he requested that while they consider his position, they put a hold on the lower court decision permitting the disclosure of his records while they consider taking up the case.

"The limited interest the Committee may have in immediately obtaining the requested records pales in comparison to President Trump's interest in securing judicial review before he suffers irreparable harm," Trump's lawyers wrote in the court filings.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/23/politics/donald-trump-supreme-court-records-january-6/index.html

Insert sweating like a dog gif.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 10:13:15 PM »

SCOTUS won't block archives from sending committee records; Thomas would have heard appeal.

Thomas... *gasp* no way. :sarcasm:

Thomas ought to have recused himself. (Not that I actually expected him to. His appearance of corruption has been so obvious for so long everyone has become numb to it.)

Although I believe Thomas is by far the worst Justice even on this court, and arguably one of the worst in half a century 3, I see no reason he would have had to refuse himself technically speaking.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2022, 02:04:40 AM »

SCOTUS won't block archives from sending committee records; Thomas would have heard appeal.

Thomas... *gasp* no way. :sarcasm:

Thomas ought to have recused himself. (Not that I actually expected him to. His appearance of corruption has been so obvious for so long everyone has become numb to it.)

Although I believe Thomas is by far the worst Justice even on this court, and arguably one of the worst in half a century 3, I see no reason he would have had to refuse himself technically speaking.

Trump Meets With Hard-Right Group Led by Ginni Thomas
(2019)

Among Those Pressing Trump to Weed Out Disloyalty: Clarence Thomas’s Wife (2020)

Wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas signs letter against Jan. 6 committee (2022)

That last one (along with her gig churning out pro-Trump propaganda at Tucker Carlson's sewer) are what really puts it over the top in my opinion. I do not know the common legal standard for recusal, but it looks terrible for any pretense of objectivity on Thomas' part.

I stand corrected. Though equally unsurprisingly Thomas wouldn't do so.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 11:57:11 AM »

Trump tore up records which were to be turned over to the January 6 Committee.

Some of the White House records turned over to the House committee investigating the January 6 attack were ripped up by Donald Trump, the National Archives said.

It also emerged on Tuesday that the former president thinks his own vice-president, Mike Pence, should be investigated by the committee, for failing to reject electoral college results on the fateful day.

Documents obtained by the January 6 panel include diaries, schedules, handwritten notes, speeches and remarks. The supreme court rejected Trump’s attempt to stop the National Archives turning them over to Congress.

Jesus Christ. I had to  Hit the link because even I couldn't believe trump would be this brazen, and assume perhaps the story was from some sketchy questionable left wing rag.. But no, it's The Guardian itself..

This is literal tampering with evidence! Bodified unquestionable

I have to pose a question to Republicans or anyone else who at this point who still would remotely consider voting for trump, as was famously uttered at the McCarthy hearings. "Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you no sense of decency?"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »

He has been pretty much since his first post.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 09:09:58 PM »

So? Tump supporters, AKA 90% of republicans, are awful. In other news water is wet.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2022, 02:01:14 PM »

Big development - the first Jan. 6 defendant to go to a jury trial has been found guilty on all charges:

Fuzzy: I don't support those few lawbreakers among the January 6th rioters insurgents protesters engaging in legitimate political discourse, BUT WHAT ABOUT BLM RIOTING AND LAWLESSNESS!?!1
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 03:53:40 PM »

An awesome line in the ruling's conclusion.  "This was a coup in search of a legal theory."

I'm sure 90 plus percent of republicans will continue to call this a nothing Burger or the like though. Roll Eyes
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2022, 03:37:29 PM »

Trump obstructing Justice and refusing to comply with court orders orders?? My God, it's not like he has a history Of such activities going back literally 40 years!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies