January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:38:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 130014 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« on: August 08, 2021, 02:45:44 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 04:59:31 AM »

The White House has informed the National Archives that it is not asserting executive privilege on an initial batch of documents related to the January 6 violence at the US Capitol, paving the way for the Archives to share documents with the House committee investigating the attempted insurrection.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters Friday afternoon that President Joe Biden declined to assert privilege over documents pertaining to former President Donald Trump's administration sought by the January 6 select committee. During the White House press briefing, Psaki said that "the President has determined that an assertion of executive privilege is not warranted for the first set of documents from the Trump White House that have been provided to us by the National Archives."

"As we've said previously, this will be an ongoing process and this is just the first set of documents," she said. "And we will evaluate questions of privilege on a case-by-case basis, but the President has also been clear that he believes it to be of the utmost importance for both Congress and the American people to have a complete understanding of the events of that day to prevent them from happening again."

[...]
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 02:04:34 PM »

Joe Biden again refuses to grant executive privilige over January 6 records that Trump wanted.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 04:41:27 PM »

January 6 committee issues 10 more subpoenas including to Stephen Miller and Kayleigh McEnany

The House committee investigating the deadly January 6 riot at the US Capitol announced on Tuesday a new batch of 10 subpoenas to former White House officials under President Donald Trump, as the panel charges ahead in seeking testimony and documents from witnesses relevant to its probe.

-Nicholas Luna, former President Donald Trump's personal assistant
    -Molly Michael, Trump's special assistant to the President and Oval Office operations coordinator
    -Ben Williamson, Trump's deputy assistant to the President and senior adviser to then-chief of staff Mark Meadows
    -Christopher Liddell, former Trump White House deputy chief of staff
    -John McEntee, Trump's White House personnel director
    -Keith Kellogg, national security adviser to then-Vice President Mike Pence
    -Kayleigh McEnany, former White House press secretary under Trump
    -Stephen Miller, Trump senior adviser
    -Cassidy Hutchinson, special assistant to the President for legislative affairs
    -Kenneth Klukowski, former senior counsel to Assistant Attorney General Jeffrey Clark.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/09/politics/january-6-subpoenas-stephen-miller/index.html

Good, but I expect none of them to comply and it will result in an endless battle of lawsuits before a Republican House takes everything back and they get a free pass unless the Garland Justice Departments gets much tougher.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 05:46:59 PM »

New January 6 committee subpoenas issued for 5 Trump allies including Roger Stone and Alex Jones

The House select committee investigating the January 6 riot issued a new round of subpoenas on Monday to five of former President Donald Trump's allies directly involved in planning "Stop the Steal" rallies, including longtime Republican operative Roger Stone and conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

The latest batch of subpoenas indicates the committee continues to focus, in part, on organizers and funding of the "Stop the Steal" rallies that took place on January 5 and 6, as well as earlier rallies in the months leading up to the US Capitol attack.

Also subpoenaed by the committee Monday: Dustin Stockton and Jennifer Lawrence, key players in the "Stop the Steal" movement after the election.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/roger-stone-alex-jones-subpoenas-january-6/index.html

Lmao, the most deplorable of the deplorable. They certainly won't comply.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »

Schiff said on air the committee will ask for the voluntary cooperation of Sean Hannity.

lmaolmaolmao...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 04:35:05 PM »

Shafer is actually the chairman of the Georgia Republican Party.

Usually this would be a smoking gun. However, I'm so delusional to believe this will have any consequences whatsoever.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »

Sad but accurate.

Well, but Pence simply could not overturn the election or dismiss the electoral votes outright, even if he wanted to.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 04:12:07 PM »

I've said the same thing before.  That was a terrible tactical political decision by McCarthy.

Maybe for Republicans, though many of their members would have turned the committee into a clown show. Way too serious business for PR stunts and their BS.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2022, 01:40:37 PM »

I mean Republicans are under oath saying that Trump's Truths from 1 HOUR AGO are false. What more do we need?

I guess they're all under control of the Deep State and the Clintons because they can't handle TRUMP won... Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 01:57:13 PM »

Republicans seeking pardons:

Mo Brooks
Matt Gaetz
Andy Biggs
Louis Gohmert
Scott Perry
Marjorie Taylor Greene (potentially)

Any Republicans care to explain why an innocent person would seek a pardon?

You mean under a Republican president? There no - absolutely ZERO - chance, Biden would grant such to these nutjobs.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 01:40:14 PM »

The sad thing is that no matter how much evidence comes out, no matter how many former confidants and allies speak out, the cult just won't care and the Republican Party is unlikely to get the (electoral) punishment it deserves. Anyone of these will just be discredited as traitor to the God Emperor.

Indicting his a** would obviously be the correct move, though any trial, no matter how fair and balanced, would ever be accepted by roughly 40% of the electorate no matter what. They will always view it as a witchhunt by the "Deep State" and liberals.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 01:48:50 PM »

I wish the impeachment trial was now instead of then.

Impeach him again!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 02:34:09 PM »

You know, I ironically wonder if Clinton ever feels regret in conceding that gracefully to Trump. Not to the point where she regrets not having her supporters storm the capitol, but regret in the sense that she didn't seriously push for recounts in WI, MI and PA. I ask because given everything that's happened since the election and especially given the darning stuff that has come out of Trump today, I can imagine Clinton being like "Man, maybe I should've more open about requesting that PA, WI and MI be investigated and recounted to the fullest extents. Maybe it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but there might've been a small chance all of this could've been prevented had I pushed for recounts in those states."

There was a recount of the presidential election in 2016 in Wisconsin. Jill Stein pushed it.

I'm pretty sure Clinton has 0 regrets on behaving appropriately. It definitely wouldn't have prevented anything related to January 6.

Good point, for as much as I hate her personally I sure have to give her credit for acting in a much more mature manner than I assume many others would've in that situation.

It would have made things even worse, if she claimed the 2016 election was stolen without any evidence.

Trump only did so because his ego doesn't allow it. He lacks maturity and self-awareness to do so. And a 76 year old guy is not going to change anymore. He has always been this kind of a scumbag for his entire life. That's just the sad truth.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 03:02:16 PM »

Although that may sound hackish, but one of Joe Biden's biggest accomplishments was to throw this guy out of office. I have a feeling people tend to forget how devastating it was.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 04:12:15 AM »

Yes.

But my problem with your side is not your stances on the issues. I don’t agree but Americans should be able to work around that.

My problem with your side is you *refuse* to examine Trump’s post-election actions (including but not limited to Jan. 6) with anything resembling logic. My problem is that you put Trump, the party, and yourselves above your country. That has nothing to do with the issues; it has to do with your integrity and your patriotism…which you have none if you continue to support a man who tried to take down the entire nation.
I would have supported Al Gore marching on the Capitol in 2000 as well.

My issue with your argument, GWBFan, is it suggests that if Trump wins in 2024, that the country has no integrity or patriotism.

And Gore would have been wrong to do so.  Gore pursued his challenge as far as he could in the courts, and when he lost there, he conceded gracefully and did not continue to claim that he'd been cheated.  Nor would he have condoned his armed supporters marching on the Capitol, or tried to create a slate of fake electors, or tried to pressure state legislatures to change their results.  Unlike Trump, Gore knew when the election was over, and where to stop within the rule of law and for the good of the country.

Even Richard Nixon did so in 1960. He gracefully conceded the election the next morning despite believing that there were some irregularities (there probably were, but not enough to alter the outcome of the election).

And even in 1974, he at some time knew that it was time to quit and leave.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 01:55:05 PM »

This ought to be interesting. Unlike Congress, Fulton County and the State of Georgia will face real consequences if they let their subpoenas be ignored. Meaning that rather than showboating refusals, they ought to face a choice between becoming fugitives hiding in deep red states, or cooperating with Fulton County.

What I predict we'll get is legal foot-dragging, where they pretend to be willing to abide by the law, but do everything possible in their power to delays their appearances (and will take the 5th if and when they are compelled to testify under oath).

Wouldn't they just challenge the subpoenas before various courts? I guess that would delay the process for months, if not years.

I still can't hide my joy over that jerk Lindsey Graham being one of these names.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 03:02:23 PM »

How can Trump even claim executive privilege at this point? He's no longer the president and Biden won't do it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 03:36:45 PM »

This seems like a naive argument you would expect from a third grader and not professional lawyers that cash in a ton of money for their "work"? How do you shift blame to advisers when Trump is multipe times on record - tape, video, written statements and Twitter - that he wouldn't accept defeat and promoting conspiracies about fraud? It's so plain obvious this a very cheap excuse that doesn't pass the most simple of tests.

Even if you were to believe that, a president who allows his advisers to do this kind of stuff would be totally inept in his leadership skills.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 02:25:36 PM »

Six hours? Lame. Hillary testified eleven hours over a nothingburger.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 01:59:37 PM »

Can't wait for the Jan 6 committee to be disbanded. Maybe we get a Hunter Biden one as a replacement?

Yeah, because Hunter Biden has attempted a coup and his responsible for multiple deaths, including police officers.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2022, 02:43:26 PM »

I guess they have to? Because Republicans will shut everything down come January.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2022, 02:40:46 PM »

Potentially stupid question: Couldn't the January 6 committee just continue in the senate, where Democrats have the majority? I think Mitt Romney, Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins and a few others might be willing to participate for the Republican side?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2022, 04:43:31 PM »

Does Meadows live in South Carolina, or why is their Supreme Court ordering a North Carolina politician to cooperate with an investigation that takes place in Georgia? The article doesn't really answer that.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2022, 02:44:22 PM »

At this point, any Attorney General that doesn't indict Trump without a very good reason - and I can't think of one - deserves to be dismissed from office.

I'm well aware there's a lot pressure from all sides and that this is without precedent, but if Trump is being let off the hook, it will send a signal that you can literally do anything without being hold accountable.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies