January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:06:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 151
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 146069 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2625 on: August 03, 2023, 01:45:19 PM »

Look, it’s not my fault that my political opponent in the Democrat Party, Crooked Joe Biden, has told his Attorney General to charge the leading (by far!) Republican Nominee & former President of the United States, me, with as many crimes as can be concocted so that he is forced to spend large amounts of time & money to defend himself. The Dems don’t want to run against me or they would not be doing this unprecedented weaponization of “Justice.” BUT SOON, IN 2024, IT WILL BE OUR TURN. MAGA!

I NEED ONE MORE INDICTMENT TO ENSURE MY ELECTION!

I AM NOW GOING TO WASHINGTON, D.C., TO BE ARRESTED FOR HAVING CHALLENGED A CORRUPT, RIGGED, & STOLEN ELECTION. IT IS A GREAT HONOR, BECAUSE I AM BEING ARRESTED FOR YOU. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!

Biden and his family steal Millions and Millions of Dollars, including BRIBES from foreign countries, and I’m headed to D.C. to be ARRESTED for protesting a CROOKED ELECTION. UNFAIR VENUE, UNFAIR JUDGE. We are a Nation in Decline. MAGA!!!

^ Trump today

It's like someone told an AI to do Fascist Leader Madlibs.

But with the writing style of a third grader.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2626 on: August 03, 2023, 02:39:24 PM »

Here's a NBC Live Stream as Trump heads to the court very shortly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PyPz40CzVM
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2627 on: August 03, 2023, 02:52:35 PM »

Smith is in the house!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2628 on: August 03, 2023, 02:53:32 PM »

Protesters outside the courthouse holding signs with "TRUMP 20-24 years in prison". You love to see it!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2629 on: August 03, 2023, 02:54:30 PM »

Trump has been calling Smith deranged for weeks and they're reportedly sitting feet away right now.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2630 on: August 03, 2023, 03:02:39 PM »

Trump has been calling Smith deranged for weeks and they're reportedly sitting feet away right now.

He was also fingerprinted again. How embarrassing for a former president.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2631 on: August 03, 2023, 03:31:27 PM »

Judge told Trump he may be held in custody if he violates the conditions of release. One such violation is committing a crime, such as trying to influence a juror. Also he can't communicate (about the case) with a witness in the case other than through counsel.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2632 on: August 03, 2023, 03:31:30 PM »

Via NBC: Presiding judge telling Trump it's illegal to try to influence a juror. LMAO!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2633 on: August 03, 2023, 03:35:12 PM »

Via NBC: Presiding judge telling Trump it's illegal to try to influence a juror. LMAO!

Did you know if Trump loses Eday SCOTUS is gonna stay his prison sentence until all his Appeals gets exhausted like Bannon he has not served a day in jail and Trump is likely to get some time chopped off not his total conviction I am see a total of 7 yrs out of the Fed Crts and 2 yrs out of GA Crts so a total of 9 yrs on Appeal and he won't serve if he loses in jail but on am ankle bracelet if he is Convicted

A former Prez and this goes for Biden too on Docugate had secret service meaning he can't serve in prison unless Congress gets rid of his secret service but can serve on home confinement
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2634 on: August 03, 2023, 03:36:59 PM »

Next court date via NBC on August 28.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2635 on: August 03, 2023, 03:37:38 PM »

Donald Trump pleads not guilty to January 6-related charges

Former President Donald Trump has pleaded not guilty to four criminal charges related to his efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

His arrest and arraignment came in the same Washington, DC, courthouse that had a direct view of the violence that unfurled at the US Capitol on January 6, 2021, and where over 1,000 Trump supporters who participated in the insurrection have also appeared.

The historic scene follows two other court appearances Trump has made over the past few months in criminal cases: the New York state charges brought by the Manhattan district attorney’s office for his 2016 campaign hush money scheme, and the federal prosecution in Florida that special counsel Jack Smith is leading as well, alleging Trump mishandled classified documents.

Unlike those other cases, however, this hearing played out in a building that has been the central vehicle of accountability for the January 6 attack on democracy.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/03/politics/arraignment-trump-election-interference-indictment/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2636 on: August 03, 2023, 03:45:50 PM »

Defense wants to know scope and extent of discovery within 3 days. Judge says government must submit a proposed schedule for discovery and for the trial within 7 days. Defense will have 5 days to respond.

A trial date will be set at the August 28 hearing. Trump does not have to appear.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #2637 on: August 03, 2023, 03:53:27 PM »

Trump apparently wants to give a campaign speech at the airport in a few minutes. The guy is just so shameless and unhinged.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2638 on: August 03, 2023, 03:56:28 PM »

Chuck Todd pointed out earlier that while republicans are complaining about this , we wouldn’t need this case if Republicans just impeached him
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2639 on: August 03, 2023, 03:58:32 PM »

Judge told Trump he may be held in custody if he violates the conditions of release. One such violation is committing a crime, such as trying to influence a juror. Also he can't communicate (about the case) with a witness in the case other than through counsel.

Weissmann said the standard admonishment is that you have to show up for every court appearance and he's never heard a judge say the most important condition for release is to not influence a juror.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2640 on: August 03, 2023, 03:58:57 PM »

Chuck Todd pointed out earlier that while republicans are complaining about this , we wouldn’t need this case if Republicans just impeached him

I do wonder whether Mitch McConnell regrets not letting the Senate convict Trump and bar him from office.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2641 on: August 03, 2023, 04:41:52 PM »

I've heard some analysts say that even with the likely bump in donations it'll take in, the increase in legal fees could cause Trump's SuperPAC to run out of money possibly as soon as before the end of the year.

I had to pick up my jaw today when I read that last year his PAC had $105 million and now only has $4 million. What's even crazier is that up until he was a declared candidate, the RNC was paying his legal bills too! Being a career criminal really, really drains your bank account after you get caught. It's the republicans' own fault though. They could have convicted him at his impeachment trial and been done with him; legally barred from running again. Now he's a candidate again and he is financially bleeding the republican party dry. Karma's a b****

Oh yeah I forgot the RNC was paying his bills too, that's absolutely hilarious. And they only stopped because once he declared his candidacy they legally couldn't anymore, not because they realized how much of a money sink it is.

Goodness! Now why can't I find some clients with a national political organization and tens of millions of suckers willing to donate money from my fees? Sad
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2642 on: August 03, 2023, 04:43:11 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2023, 04:46:51 PM by Torie »

I do wonder whether Mitch McConnell regrets not letting the Senate convict Trump and bar him from office.

Of course he would have except the premise is wrong I think; there were not 67 votes to convict no matter what Mitch wanted or said or how much he twisted arms. The only thing Mitch liked about Trump were his judicial appointments. If the votes were available, Mitch would have dropped the hammer. I am confident of that.

Andrew McCarthy (a smart ex prosecutor) at National Review said that it would have been better to defer the Senate trial until well after Trump left office to dig up all the dirt on him, which we know now, but not in Jan of 2021.

I take it there was no mug shot.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2643 on: August 03, 2023, 04:50:54 PM »

No mugshot but there's a nice courtroom sketch of Trump reciting his name and age to judge. GA indictment supposedly will require a mugshot.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2644 on: August 03, 2023, 04:51:12 PM »

Of course he would have except the premise is wrong I think; there were not 67 votes to convict no matter what Mitch wanted or said or how much he twisted arms. The only thing Mitch liked about Trump were his judicial appointments. If the votes were available, Mitch would have dropped the hammer. I am confident of that.

Andrew McCarthy (a smart ex prosecutor) at National Review said that it would have been better to defer the Senate trial until well after Trump left office to dig up all the dirt on him, which we know now, but not in Jan of 2021.

I take it there was no mug shot.

There was no mug shot.  They said they would use an existing photo of Trump.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2645 on: August 03, 2023, 05:28:15 PM »

McCarthy is a hack who peddles the idiotic freedom of speech defense for this case.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2646 on: August 03, 2023, 05:30:18 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2023, 05:52:44 PM by Willfully Retaining National Defense Crumpets »

I went down to the courthouse after I got off work. I walked down from the Judiciary Square Metro station, which is behind the courthouse from the main entrance. As it happened, I got there right as Trump was leaving out the back. Not sure which of these trucks he was in, but it was one of them.

The ratio of people out front was media>police>random passersby>all protesters/activists on all sides. The pro-Trump crowd seemed a bit bigger than the anti-Trump crowd, but we're talking a few dozen people, maybe a hundred combined. I will give one Trump guy credit, though. He was singing "Party in the USA" dressed in full Minutemen garb. That's a level of self confidence that is usually reserved only for goths.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2647 on: August 03, 2023, 05:37:20 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2023, 06:10:13 PM by Torie »

McCarthy is a hack who peddles the idiotic freedom of speech defense for this case.

Less is more px. Maybe you will come to realize it as time passes by. Keep hope alive. Anyway, I don't think the legal theories are air tight either (my tentative opinion)  Terrified , although I hope after the jury convicts, they fly, I really do.

McCarthy did however want Trump impeached and convicted and subject to the penalty of being barred from holding federal office forever more, and still does. So call him all the names you want. It's a free country with a robust free speech law. Insults like that won't get you dates however.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2648 on: August 03, 2023, 05:52:44 PM »

Less is more px. Maybe you will come to realize it as time passes by. Keep hope alive. Anyway, I don't think the legal theories are air tight either (my tentative opinion)  Terrified , although I hope after the jury convicts, they fly, I really do.

McCarthy did however want Trump impeached and convicted and subject to the penalty of being barred from holding federal office forever more, and still does. So call him all the names you wants. It's a free country with a robust free speech law. Insults like that won't get you dates however.

My post is actually pretty subdued compared to the insults hurled at him by people like George Conway, Stuart Stevens, and Charlie Sykes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2649 on: August 03, 2023, 06:03:11 PM »

Less is more px. Maybe you will come to realize it as time passes by. Keep hope alive. Anyway, I don't think the legal theories are air tight either (my tentative opinion)  Terrified , although I hope after the jury convicts, they fly, I really do.

McCarthy did however want Trump impeached and convicted and subject to the penalty of being barred from holding federal office forever more, and still does. So call him all the names you wants. It's a free country with a robust free speech law. Insults like that won't get you dates however.

My post is actually pretty subdued compared to the insults hurled at him by people like George Conway, Stuart Stevens, and Charlie Sykes.

I was just telling Dan how unimpressed I was with Conway (yeah I know he has a Pub provinance ala Scarborough whatever, but so what, I was a Pub too once) as a legal CNN talking head, and wished they would get rid of him. Conclusory statements without elucidating competing considerations that make the law so complex, is what Cable TV does so well, which is why it is the last place to go for wisdom. It's spam city. It sucks. It may be even worse than reading Atlas, in fact it probably is.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies