January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:21:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 151
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 145195 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: August 01, 2023, 09:19:00 PM »

Yoda
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2551 on: August 01, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »

The case has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan. Chutkan, an Obama appointee, is the only federal judge in Washington, D.C. who has sentenced Jan. 6 defendants to sentences longer than the government had requested.

https://politicalwire.com/2023/08/01/donald-trump-indicted/

Inject this s*** STRAIGHT into my f***ing veins.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2552 on: August 01, 2023, 09:26:08 PM »

He keeps giving these responses that literally no one will like lol.

How ironic that a Floridaman is complaining about swamps lol
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2553 on: August 01, 2023, 09:45:05 PM »

The case has been assigned to U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan. Chutkan, an Obama appointee, is the only federal judge in Washington, D.C. who has sentenced Jan. 6 defendants to sentences longer than the government had requested.

It gets worse for Trump.

Judge assigned to Trump case previously said ‘the country is watching to see what the consequences are’ for January 6
District Judge Tanya Chutkan, the judge assigned to preside over former President Donald Trump’s criminal case in Washington, DC, has repeatedly spoken out in very strong terms against the efforts to overturn the election and disrupt the transfer of power.

Chutkan, a Jamaica native, has served as a federal judge since she was appointed by Barack Obama in 2014. After graduating from University of Pennsylvania Law School, Chutkan spent more than a decade working as a public defender in Washington, DC. According to her biography on the court website, Chutkan “argued several appellate cases and tried over 30 cases, including numerous serious felony matters” as a public defender.

The Defendant (head of the notorious criminal Trump Organization) will doubtless whine that a judge who has publicly evidenced a dislike of criminals and traitors will be biased against him and should be replaced by one whom he appointed in return for pledges of loyalty and favors.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2554 on: August 01, 2023, 09:54:42 PM »

It gets worse for Trump.

Judge assigned to Trump case previously said ‘the country is watching to see what the consequences are’ for January 6
District Judge Tanya Chutkan, the judge assigned to preside over former President Donald Trump’s criminal case in Washington, DC, has repeatedly spoken out in very strong terms against the efforts to overturn the election and disrupt the transfer of power.

Chutkan, a Jamaica native, has served as a federal judge since she was appointed by Barack Obama in 2014. After graduating from University of Pennsylvania Law School, Chutkan spent more than a decade working as a public defender in Washington, DC. According to her biography on the court website, Chutkan “argued several appellate cases and tried over 30 cases, including numerous serious felony matters” as a public defender.

The Defendant (head of the notorious criminal Trump Organization) will doubtless whine that a judge who has publicly evidenced a dislike of criminals and traitors will be biased against him and should be replaced by one whom he appointed in return for pledges of loyalty and favors.

Oh I can't WAIT for the tantrums from trump. I bet the judge will be forced to issue a gag order when trump repeatedly and personally attacks herself and Jack Smith on social media, which I don't think trump is physically capable of holding himself to.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2555 on: August 01, 2023, 10:35:16 PM »

I've heard some analysts say that even with the likely bump in donations it'll take in, the increase in legal fees could cause Trump's SuperPAC to run out of money possibly as soon as before the end of the year.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2556 on: August 01, 2023, 10:37:42 PM »

If Trump is convicted for the Conspiracy Against Rights charge under Section 241 of the US code, he is eligible for the death penalty. The reason for that is that January 6 resulted in deaths.

I don't think that will actually happen, but theoretically it is apparently a possible punishment.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/241

18 U.S. Code § 241 - Conspiracy against rights

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 696; Pub. L. 90–284, title I, § 103(a), Apr. 11, 1968, 82 Stat. 75; Pub. L. 100–690, title VII, § 7018(a), (b)(1), Nov. 18, 1988, 102 Stat. 4396; Pub. L. 103–322, title VI, § 60006(a), title XXXII, §§ 320103(a), 320201(a), title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 1970, 2109, 2113, 2147; Pub. L. 104–294, title VI, §§ 604(b)(14)(A), 607(a), Oct. 11, 1996, 110 Stat. 3507, 3511.)

My sources say the death penalty, for espionage, being considered for Donald Trump. I am pro-life and take no pleasure in reporting this.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2557 on: August 01, 2023, 10:45:07 PM »

If he gets convicted on these counts I think he’s barred from running correct?

Doubtful.  I think it would require a conviction for insurrection, which is not one of the charges.  At least so far.
I think you're correct here so Trump can still run for President!

Looks like the GOP needs to rally around whoever is the leading anti Trump candidate after IA/NH and do everything possible to help them get them nomination . DeSantis Scott Haley Pence Christe all should make a deal with each other behind the scenes to ensure this happens

This won't make a difference.  The majority of the Republican Party is behind Trump.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2558 on: August 01, 2023, 10:45:28 PM »

There's no way Trump gets the death penalty.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2559 on: August 01, 2023, 10:46:37 PM »

SIX UNNAMED CO-CONSPIRATORS:

a. Co-Conspirator 1, an attorney who was willing to spread knowingly false claims and pursue strategies that the Defendant's 2020 re-election campaign attorneys would not

b. Co-Conspirator 2, an attorney who devised and attempted to implement a strategy to leverage the Vice President’s ceremonial role overseeing certification proceeding to obstruct the certification of the presidential election.

c. Co-Conspirator 3, an attorney whose unfounded claims of election fraud the Defendant privately acknowledged to others sounded "crazy." Nonetheless, the Defendant embraced and publicly amplified Co-Conspirator 3's disinformation.

d. Co-Conspirator 4, a Justice Department official who worked on civil matters and who, with the Defendant, attempted to use the Justice Department to open sham election crime investigations and influence state legislatures with knowingly false claims of election fraud.

e. Co-Conspirator 5, an attorney who assisted in devising and attempting to implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.

f. Co-Conspirator 6, a political consultant who helped implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.

2 is probably Eastman. I think 5 may be Kenneth Chesebro. 1 and 3 are almost certainly Rudy and Powell, but it's a bit hard to tell which one is which.

Pretty sure 3 is Powell.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2560 on: August 01, 2023, 10:47:37 PM »

If he gets convicted on these counts I think he’s barred from running correct?

Doubtful.  I think it would require a conviction for insurrection, which is not one of the charges.  At least so far.
I think you're correct here so Trump can still run for President!

Looks like the GOP needs to rally around whoever is the leading anti Trump candidate after IA/NH and do everything possible to help them get them nomination . DeSantis Scott Haley Pence Christe all should make a deal with each other behind the scenes to ensure this happens

This is objectively the correct strategy, but the problem is that all the participants think they should be the surviving candidate.  This creates a Prisoner's Dilemma situation in which their failure to cooperate means they will all lose.

This is why they all should offer an actually good deal :

One of them gets to be VP
One of them Sec of State/Defense
Others get other roles in the admin

"Sad! Ron DeSanctus and his CORRUPT BARGAIN CRONIES are trying to do to me what little John Quincy Adams and crazy Henry Clay did to great American Patriot Andrew Jackson! Believe me, when this primary is over, there won't be any tears left on his trail, that I can tell you."

I find it doubtful that he knows who John Quincy Adams is.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2561 on: August 01, 2023, 10:50:34 PM »

SIX UNNAMED CO-CONSPIRATORS:

a. Co-Conspirator 1, an attorney who was willing to spread knowingly false claims and pursue strategies that the Defendant's 2020 re-election campaign attorneys would not

b. Co-Conspirator 2, an attorney who devised and attempted to implement a strategy to leverage the Vice President’s ceremonial role overseeing certification proceeding to obstruct the certification of the presidential election.

c. Co-Conspirator 3, an attorney whose unfounded claims of election fraud the Defendant privately acknowledged to others sounded "crazy." Nonetheless, the Defendant embraced and publicly amplified Co-Conspirator 3's disinformation.

d. Co-Conspirator 4, a Justice Department official who worked on civil matters and who, with the Defendant, attempted to use the Justice Department to open sham election crime investigations and influence state legislatures with knowingly false claims of election fraud.

e. Co-Conspirator 5, an attorney who assisted in devising and attempting to implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.

f. Co-Conspirator 6, a political consultant who helped implement a plan to submit fraudulent slates of presidential electors to obstruct the certification proceeding.

2 is probably Eastman. I think 5 may be Kenneth Chesebro. 1 and 3 are almost certainly Rudy and Powell, but it's a bit hard to tell which one is which.

Pretty sure 3 is Powell.

Yeah, reading the full indictment makes it pretty clear that 1 is Rudy and 3 is Powell. 4 is obviously Clark. People here speculated that 6 is Roger Stone, but others have said it's Boris Epshteyn.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2562 on: August 01, 2023, 10:54:42 PM »

FF statement, makes me proud to support him. I hope the rest of you will consider joining me, regardless of your personal ideology.

Nah I'm good.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2563 on: August 01, 2023, 10:55:17 PM »

I've heard some analysts say that even with the likely bump in donations it'll take in, the increase in legal fees could cause Trump's SuperPAC to run out of money possibly as soon as before the end of the year.

I had to pick up my jaw today when I read that last year his PAC had $105 million and now only has $4 million. What's even crazier is that up until he was a declared candidate, the RNC was paying his legal bills too! Being a career criminal really, really drains your bank account after you get caught. It's the republicans' own fault though. They could have convicted him at his impeachment trial and been done with him; legally barred from running again. Now he's a candidate again and he is financially bleeding the republican party dry. Karma's a b****
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2564 on: August 01, 2023, 10:57:01 PM »

I had to pick up my jaw today when I read that last year his PAC had $105 million and now only has $4 million. What's even crazier is that up until he was a declared candidate, the RNC was paying his legal bills too! Being a career criminal really, really drains your bank account after you get caught. It's the republicans' own fault though. They could have convicted him at his impeachment trial and been done with him; legally barred from running again. Now he's a candidate again and he is financially bleeding the republican party dry. Karma's a b****

Oh yeah I forgot the RNC was paying his bills too, that's absolutely hilarious. And they only stopped because once he declared his candidacy they legally couldn't anymore, not because they realized how much of a money sink it is.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2565 on: August 01, 2023, 11:56:20 PM »

Nah, getting caught is cheap. Trying to dodge the consequences, when you have a history of not paying your lawyers, gets expensive fast, I'll bet. (I also wouldn't bet that some of that money isn't finding its way into the pockets of Donald Trump and his criminal organization.)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2566 on: August 02, 2023, 12:09:22 AM »

It’s happened again: You’ve been indicted, Jack!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2567 on: August 02, 2023, 12:34:16 AM »

My condolences to vice president Pence on inevitably getting less than 5% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2568 on: August 02, 2023, 12:36:23 AM »

My condolences to vice president Pence on inevitably getting less than 5% of the vote in the Iowa caucuses

Sure, but he's probably got Dan Quayle's vote locked up in the Indiana primary.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2569 on: August 02, 2023, 01:20:52 AM »

I have a feeling it's going to happen this time, he'll be convicted. Perhaps after the 2024 election, but it's inevitably going to happen. He can rant as much as he wants.

That said, Trump pretty much has locked the nomination. RDS's response is a total joke. He'll neither impress neither soft Trump supporters nor critics (the few left in the GOP).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2570 on: August 02, 2023, 01:40:05 AM »

In case it hasn't been posted or someone needs it again, this is the indictment: https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/trump-jan-6-indictment-2020-election/1f1c76972b25c802/full.pdf

I scrolled through and read some sections. If it wasn't actually so serious, reading some of his Tweets/expressions quoted in such an official document makes is everything so cringe. Like on page 16:

32. The next day , on January 3 , the Defendant falsely claimed that the Georgia
Secretary of State had not addressed the Defendant's allegations , publicly stating that the Georgia
Secretary of State was unwilling , or unable , to answer questions such as the ballots under table
scam , ballot destruction , out of state voters , dead voters , and more . He has no clue!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2571 on: August 02, 2023, 05:59:25 AM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2572 on: August 02, 2023, 07:26:36 AM »

Watching Trump surrogates spinning this on CNN this morning is absolutely maddening. No wonder so many people are brainwashed. This FL dope right now is presenting this indictment as an attack on free speech and comparing Trump's actions to Hillary Clinton and John Kerry saying the election was rigged.
Redban

« Reply #2573 on: August 02, 2023, 07:26:40 AM »

The Department of Justice has a 92% conviction rate. I'm sure Trump will definitely be in that outstanding 8% with his killer legal skills and command of persuasive evidence.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2574 on: August 02, 2023, 07:29:29 AM »

This is a case where I think the death penalty should be on the table, at least to put some serious fear in him. His crimes are practically treason.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 151  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies