Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 10:30:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 248145 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: September 02, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »

Dems would be much better off running on an impactful 3.5T bill than some watered down flop bipartisan bill.

It's not a "flop bill".

Do you even know what is in it?

Maybe you should find out.

It's not nearly as comprehensive as the reconciliation bill so yes its a flop.

Give me everything I want or I'll blow everyone up.

That's called a hostage negotiation.

And that's not what Manchin is doing??? Sounding very hypocritical right now.

No, it isn't.

He just said that he doesn't support the 3.5 trillion price tag.

He's literally threatening to kill the reconciliation bill or anything near its price tag, so he's literally going kamikaze on the whole process cuz he knows House Dems won't take up the bipartisan bill without a reconciliation bill being passed by the senate. He's literally doing what you're accusing me of supporting. Talking about ruining the only thing Dems can run on, as if that's not exactly what he's doing right now.

Cut it in half and he'll say that he is satisfied.

Lmao no. He gets his bipartisan bill, progressives and Party leaders get their 3.5T. Compromise isn't when moderates get everything they want and progressives keep giving more and more until moderates are satisfied. That's moderate dominance. Progressives already compromised by lowering the reconciliation from like 6T to 3.5T. Manchin needs to shut his mouth and accept that.

How many "progressives" are running in Republican-leaning districts?

So moderates running in conservative districts (not that many btw) hold the party hostage until they get only what they want and progressives keep having to compromise? Yeah that's a dysfunctional divided party, really bad that that's something you want.

No, what the so-called "progressives" are doing is holding the party hostage.

The moderates are just doing what they have to do to try to hold on to their seats.

If the moderates want to hold onto their seats they can allow the reconciliation bill to pass so they get both their moderate hero bipartisan bill and progressives get their reconciliation bill. Thus everyone wins. And everyone can go back to their districts with something sweet for their voters. Literally basic politics. Manchin is here threatening to blow it up FOR NO REASON considering he's toast in WV no matter what.

The infrastructure bill has nothing to do with the reconciliation bill.

There is no reason for the "progressive" to hold the infrastructure bill hostage.

There is a reason considering that if they didn't hold the infrastructure bill hostage Senate Dem moderates would abandon the reconciliation bill the second Biden signs the infrastructure bill.

You are just making assumptions.

Pleaseee. Senate mod dems are barely wanting to pass reconciliation now and they have to if they want their precious infra bill. If Pelosi just passed the infra bill right away Senate mods and house mods as well would just abandon reconciliation

Do you not think they want stuff for their states?

I am sure they do.

Clearly Manchin doesn't. West Virginia needs a whole meth makeover. In fact 3.5T is probably needed for WV alone

...just ask Manchin what he wants and do some horse-trading.

He literally already got what he wants?? He got a bipartisan bill... he's being very selfish rn very toxic gatekeep-y of him tbh

That's not everything he wants.

Everyone always wants more.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1126 on: September 02, 2021, 05:31:35 PM »

Cokie roberts pyramid
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1127 on: September 02, 2021, 06:02:14 PM »

Dems would be much better off running on an impactful 3.5T bill than some watered down flop bipartisan bill.

It's not a "flop bill".

No, it isn't.

He's literally threatening to kill the reconciliation bill or anything near its price tag, so he's literally going kamikaze on the whole process cuz he knows House Dems won't take up the bipartisan bill without a reconciliation bill being passed by the senate. He's literally doing what you're accusing me of supporting. Talking about ruining the only thing Dems can run on, as if that's not exactly what he's doing right now.

Cutting in half probably still leads to progressives in the House voting down the reconciliation bill, and both it and the BIF dying, unless you convince enough GOP in both chambers to pass both bills.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1128 on: September 02, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2021, 06:36:37 PM by pppolitics »

It's not a "flop bill".

No, it isn't.

Cutting in half probably still leads to progressives in the House voting down the reconciliation bill, and both it and the BIF dying, unless you convince enough GOP in both chambers to pass both bills.

"Progressives" are stupid like that.

They would rather have no cake than 62.77% of the cake.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #1129 on: September 02, 2021, 06:33:21 PM »

This thread is 99% quote trees. If you guys feel like you need to continue this, just cut out the first 25 responses next time you quote. It's not like you're reading what the other person says anyway.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1130 on: September 02, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »

We get it. You're a Republican.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1131 on: September 03, 2021, 09:34:17 AM »

Manchin is playing games. He is scaring Democratic leadership to bend to his whims

1.Manchin doesn't like to be rushed
2.Manchin wants his input on EVERYTHING
3. Manchin needs Republican input
4. Bills can't be seen as deficit busting

“I, for one, won’t support a $3.5 trillion bill, or anywhere near that level of additional spending, without greater clarity about why Congress chooses to ignore the serious effects inflation and debt have on existing government programs,”

The key word is "clarity"

Basically, he wants Democrats to make the argument that this isn't a "progressive" bill but some moderate adjustments to the safety net. And he wants it "paid" for with higher taxes so it isn't seen as "deficit busting"

I do not know how much he wants cut. Hopefully not a lot. But we shouldn't be freaking out just yet
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1132 on: September 03, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »

This douche sure loves writing op-eds on sh**t he doesn't support. Just ing tweet and save the time
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1133 on: September 03, 2021, 10:12:23 AM »

House progressives have next to no history whatsoever of actually pulling the trigger on voting down Democratic priorities, unlike their moderate nice guy FF Smiley brethren. Congress-watchers should assume that their threats to do so are empty until and unless they actually go through with it. Remember that five or six of them briefly threatened to sink the ARP too.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1134 on: September 03, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »

House progressives have next to no history whatsoever of actually pulling the trigger on voting down Democratic priorities, unlike their moderate nice guy FF Smiley brethren. Congress-watchers should assume that their threats to do so are empty until and unless they actually go through with it. Remember that five or six of them briefly threatened to sink the ARP too.

They don't have to give us all 4.5 Trillion in programs, but they have to offer something substantial in reconciliation.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1135 on: September 03, 2021, 10:41:43 AM »

They don't have to give us all 4.5 Trillion in programs, but they have to offer something substantial in reconciliation.

Somewhere between the bipartisan bill and the reconciliation bill would be best if we want a lick of a chance of passing it. Just a question of where on the spectrum it falls
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1136 on: September 03, 2021, 11:05:49 AM »

Somewhere between the bipartisan bill and the reconciliation bill would be best if we want a lick of a chance of passing it. Just a question of where on the spectrum it falls

Team blue got the ball on their own 10 yard line and they are now 4 and 5 on the 35 yard line. This is a Field Goal kick.
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1137 on: September 03, 2021, 01:30:32 PM »

Team blue got the ball on their own 10 yard line and they are now 4 and 5 on the 35 yard line. This is a Field Goal kick.
I don’t watch football so idk what you’re saying
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1138 on: September 03, 2021, 06:58:58 PM »

Manchin is playing games. He is scaring Democratic leadership to bend to his whims

“I, for one, won’t support a $3.5 trillion bill, or anywhere near that level of additional spending, without greater clarity about why Congress chooses to ignore the serious effects inflation and debt have on existing government programs,”

Basically, he wants Democrats to make the argument that this isn't a "progressive" bill but some moderate adjustments to the safety net. And he wants it "paid" for with higher taxes so it isn't seen as "deficit busting"

I do not know how much he wants cut. Hopefully not a lot. But we shouldn't be freaking out just yet

Hey remember when Joe Manchin was whining about raising corporate rates to the pre-Trump giveaway levels. And IIRC he won’t move on taking back the capital gains cuts.

You are ascribing motives to Manchin he doesn’t have. The only consistent driver of his behavior is that he wants to be seen obstructing Democrats very publicly as much as possible. This whole ridiculous dance of doing a bipartisan bill instead of just passing an omnibus reconciliation package was his pay-off. Joe Manchin gets to be seen being ever so collegial with Republicans for a half-assed measure and then we do everything else by reconciliation. Now he wants to derail reconciliation too so that everyone can see how much Joe Manchin hates other Democrats. The real kicker is that Manchin is only the second worst Senator in the caucus, because he will eventually bend after he gets his limelight from his little stunt, there is still a human train wreck that became Senator as a sick joke that just wants to kill bills for the joy trolling we have to deal with.

Also, how is anyone supposed to negotiate with Manchin/Sinema et al if they reneg every time.

Also big ups to the ‘liberals’ that put their foot on the scales to keep Joe Lieberman’s boys from getting primaried. Thank god we still have Cuellar around.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1139 on: September 03, 2021, 07:55:40 PM »

I don’t watch football so idk what you’re saying

We were handed crap coming in a we have one last chance to do something before we can’t do anything for a while.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1140 on: September 04, 2021, 09:33:39 AM »

It is paid for. I don't think progressives will support cutting social programs. So what does he want?

Lower tax hikes? Much lower spending? Maybe he wants something like 2 or 2.5T @ best. Maybe the Medicare expansion of Dental or other provisions on Climate Change or Child Tax Credit etc has to go according to Manchin.

Biden can't work with a 50-50 senate beyond 2022. He needs 2 more seats so that Sinema & Manchin can't blackmail him & Sinema needs to be primaried out ASAP. Manchin is from WV & has some right to actually question - Sinema is in a state Biden won where Mark Kelly won & she has no business arguing !
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1141 on: September 04, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »

It is paid for. I don't think progressives will support cutting social programs. So what does he want?

Lower tax hikes? Much lower spending? Maybe he wants something like 2 or 2.5T @ best. Maybe the Medicare expansion of Dental or other provisions on Climate Change or Child Tax Credit etc has to go according to Manchin.

Biden can't work with a 50-50 senate beyond 2022. He needs 2 more seats so that Sinema & Manchin can't blackmail him & Sinema needs to be primaried out ASAP. Manchin is from WV & has some right to actually question - Sinema is in a state Biden won where Mark Kelly won & she has no business arguing !

If the trends hold (recent polling shows that it will) in the suburbs, Sinema probably loses the primary and Democrats will never be able to win the senate or WH again without Arizona.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1142 on: September 04, 2021, 01:42:23 PM »

If the trends hold (recent polling shows that it will) in the suburbs, Sinema probably loses the primary and Democrats will never be able to win the senate or WH again without Arizona.

That seems highly speculative.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1143 on: September 04, 2021, 03:50:38 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/joe-manchin-says-wont-support-212454346.html

Manchin says no way to 3.5T bill,  THATS IT FOLKS

I wasn't concerned about a non Stimulant bill anyways
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1144 on: September 04, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/joe-manchin-says-wont-support-212454346.html

Manchin says no way to 3.5T bill,  THATS IT FOLKS

I wasn't concerned about a non Stimulant bill anyways

I’m skeptical about this passing but this article is two days old and includes the “clarity” line

“I, for one, won’t support a $3.5 trillion bill, or anywhere near that level of additional spending, without greater clarity about why Congress chooses to ignore the serious effects inflation and debt have on existing government programs,” the senator said in the op-ed
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1145 on: September 04, 2021, 06:19:18 PM »

It's not a "flop bill".

No, it isn't.

Progressives want everything rather than something. Look, I get it, but sometimes you have to compromise and progressives don’t realize that with their unrealistic demands
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1146 on: September 05, 2021, 04:31:02 PM »

It's not a "flop bill".

No, it isn't.

Progressives want everything rather than something. Look, I get it, but sometimes you have to compromise and progressives don’t realize that with their unrealistic demands

No Progressives want a piece of legislation that will actually fix something. Plus, the compromise was the bipartisan bill, itself full of compromises that Joe Manchin wanted. Y'all are so hypocritical accusing progressives of wanting the world and never compromising, as if Joe Manchin's constant wrench throwing isn't exactly that. Maybe yall moderate heroes are projecting.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1147 on: September 06, 2021, 08:11:47 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1148 on: September 06, 2021, 08:48:56 AM »

D's can always amend the Bill if they win in 2022/ and get more infrastructure spending, we still need Speed rails, this isn't the END ALL BE ALL
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1149 on: September 06, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »

For anyone in the know, does the reconciliation package include carbon pricing, and if so just how closely does it mirror the Four Pillars proposal laid out by the Climate Leadership Council?

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies