GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 10:58:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 146834 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3525 on: December 07, 2022, 03:10:53 PM »

Seems like my prediction wasn't that far off. Congrats to the Rev, who ran an incredible campaign.

Are there any crosstabs already? What percentage of the black vote did Warnock win? I think it's fair to say that once again black women in particular delivered this amazing result!

Also Kemp did better with the African American vote then Walker did . This once again shows that this entire idea of the way to make inroads with a specific demographic is too pick someone from that demographic is utterly false .

It always was, in both directions. Obama did better with white voters than other Democrats. Even remember that Hillary was initially leading among blacks in 2007, and only after Obama won Iowa, a predominantly white states, African Americans began flocking towards him after they were convinced he can win nationally.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3526 on: December 07, 2022, 03:16:11 PM »

Seems like my prediction wasn't that far off. Congrats to the Rev, who ran an incredible campaign.

Are there any crosstabs already? What percentage of the black vote did Warnock win? I think it's fair to say that once again black women in particular delivered this amazing result!

Also Kemp did better with the African American vote then Walker did . This once again shows that this entire idea of the way to make inroads with a specific demographic is too pick someone from that demographic is utterly false .

It always was, in both directions. Obama did better with white voters than other Democrats. Even remember that Hillary was initially leading among blacks in 2007, and only after Obama won Iowa, a predominantly white states, African Americans began flocking towards him after they were convinced he can win nationally.

Oh I 100% disagree but that really doesn't stop political pundits from saying otherwise. The best way to look at this is seeing how pundits cover VP selections as when they analyze potential picks they always seem to jump to the conclusion that if a pick is from a certain demographic they will help the nominee with that demographic.

Like BTW when Kamala was picked , so many pundits assumed she would help Biden with Indian Americans but Biden ended up doing worse with Indian Americans than either Hillary or Obama did.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3527 on: December 07, 2022, 03:27:20 PM »

Pretty insane how much this area alone continues to be able to shift. Over 40% of the state's vote in an average election - enough to move the entire state 6 points to the left over the past 6 years.

Warnock won this by 44 points (71.8-28.2).

Clinton won this by 29 points (62.5-34.0).

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #3528 on: December 07, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »

This looks exactly like the kind of thing David Letterman would run in the last 5-10 years of hosting
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3529 on: December 07, 2022, 03:44:25 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3530 on: December 07, 2022, 03:51:35 PM »

Perhaps it's premature to say this, but unless Warnock successfully runs for president or vice president, he might be a lifer in the senate. Or at least stay on as long as he wants to, given the state's trend and his strong local brand.

He and Kelly might mirror each other in a sense. Ironically, both also won with 51.4% of the vote this year, according to Wikipedia.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #3531 on: December 07, 2022, 03:57:35 PM »

North Fulton remains one of the swingiest parts of the Atlanta metro:

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3532 on: December 07, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »

The best was that annoying Republican (not Josh Holmes but something similar) who is always on their panels saying something like "after this midterm, voters clearly want new leaders and new blood" trying to equate Biden and Trump and how both should step aside in 2024, as if Biden did not just deliver an incredible midterm performance! Absolute insanity.

You can be positive about Biden and support him etc if you like him, but let's get real here - Biden did not in fact deliver an incredible midterm performance. By that, I don't mean that Dems didn't do well in the midterms (and I agree that at least under the circumstances and relative to expectations it would be fair to call it "incredible"), but it just means that Biden was not personally responsible for it, and it is silly and unfounded to attribute it to him personally.

Biden had subpar approval ratings in the 40s of the sort which in the past co-occured with large scale losses. If Biden actually had positive approvals, you could maybe make some sort of argument, but that was not the case in exit polls (exit polls are not perfectly reliable, but they are reliable enough for this broad statement). Exit polls also had a supermajority of voters that said they didn't think that Biden should run again. Voters may or may not have been right about that and obviously it is up to Biden, not them, whether he runs, but undeniably that is what midterm voters thought.

The reasons why Dems did relatively well in the midterms were not Biden, but primarily Trump and Dobbs.

If you really want to give Biden credit for something, I suppose you could correctly say that he did not sign any major, important, and controversial legislation like Obamacare or something which could have alienated and fired up some voters in opposition to him and in opposition to Democrats. However, it would be a pretty bizarre thing to give Biden "credit" for, because it is not what he wanted to do, but instead was forced on him by the fact that Dems had only a 51-50 advantage in the Senate which was subject to Manchin and Sinema, which made it impossible to get anything significant passed which truly changed the trajectory the country was on or addressed and decisively dealt with a major issue.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3533 on: December 07, 2022, 04:25:57 PM »

NYT now has the Biden 2020 to Warnock December 2022 swing map, which is a lot more relevant in the long term than the November to December 2022 swing.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3534 on: December 07, 2022, 04:28:33 PM »

The best was that annoying Republican (not Josh Holmes but something similar) who is always on their panels saying something like "after this midterm, voters clearly want new leaders and new blood" trying to equate Biden and Trump and how both should step aside in 2024, as if Biden did not just deliver an incredible midterm performance! Absolute insanity.

You can be positive about Biden and support him etc if you like him, but let's get real here - Biden did not in fact deliver an incredible midterm performance. By that, I don't mean that Dems didn't do well in the midterms (and I agree that at least under the circumstances and relative to expectations it would be fair to call it "incredible"), but it just means that Biden was not personally responsible for it, and it is silly and unfounded to attribute it to him personally.

Biden had subpar approval ratings in the 40s of the sort which in the past co-occured with large scale losses. If Biden actually had positive approvals, you could maybe make some sort of argument, but that was not the case in exit polls (exit polls are not perfectly reliable, but they are reliable enough for this broad statement). Exit polls also had a supermajority of voters that said they didn't think that Biden should run again. Voters may or may not have been right about that and obviously it is up to Biden, not them, whether he runs, but undeniably that is what midterm voters thought.

The reasons why Dems did relatively well in the midterms were not Biden, but primarily Trump and Dobbs.

If you really want to give Biden credit for something, I suppose you could correctly say that he did not sign any major, important, and controversial legislation like Obamacare or something which could have alienated and fired up some voters in opposition to him and in opposition to Democrats. However, it would be a pretty bizarre thing to give Biden "credit" for, because it is not what he wanted to do, but instead was forced on him by the fact that Dems had only a 51-50 advantage in the Senate which was subject to Manchin and Sinema, which made it impossible to get anything significant passed which truly changed the trajectory the country was on or addressed and decisively dealt with a major issue.

Biden's approval rating or asking if people want him to run again are not really relevant here. Biden was the one who refused to back down in making election integrity and fighting for democracy, along with abortion rights, a central theme to the midterm elections. He literally did a massive speech on it the week before the election. Turns out, it was incredibly prescient. You can't just remove him from this and say, hey, you oversaw this election and determined a lot of the ultimate messaging, but your approval was only 44% so we're not giving you any credit.

Just like the "somewhat disapprovers", there is no reason to take the "do you want to see Biden run again?" question seriously, given that there's a huge chunk of people who say "no" right now but would ultimately vote for him given the option or a one-on-one against a Republican.

To try and act like he is on the same level as Trump is ludicrous. Biden has objectively been an incredibly strong first time president, but he just should not run again, when nearly every other first termer has because.... reasons? That line of thinking is ridiculous.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3535 on: December 07, 2022, 04:29:56 PM »

Unfortunately we did not get an exit poll this time, but people are musing that Warnock got a bigger share of the black vote than in November:

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3536 on: December 07, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »

NYT now has the Biden 2020 to Warnock December 2022 swing map, which is a lot more relevant in the long term than the November to December 2022 swing.

Lol that sea of red swings in neighboring swing states is amazing, Republicans really gained everywhere except where it mattered.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3537 on: December 07, 2022, 05:24:32 PM »

Any theory for why Walker improved so much in Northern Georgia specifically? It's really the only region that had a clear swing toward him from November (the rest of rural GA was a wash and obviously metro Atlanta and other major cities swung toward Warnock). Why could that be? I heard it was raining pretty bad there on Election Day, but if that depressed turnout it should have hit Republicans harder since proportionally more Democrats voted early.

Perhaps Hispanic dropoff, similar to what happened in West Texas?

Are there so many Hispanics living at Georgia's Appalachian counties?

It’s like 10%, but that could def matter around the margins.

There are 10% Hispanics in the entire state but I'd expect the vast majority of them to live in Atlanta, not Rabun county.
you'd say that about northwestern SC too but there's a surprising number of hispanics in my home area. Plenty of check-cashing places with signs mostly in spanish, as an example.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3538 on: December 07, 2022, 05:31:56 PM »

Approvals are garbage anyways
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3539 on: December 07, 2022, 05:36:09 PM »

I am thankful for Warnock's patience tbh..he has now been involved in 4 different Senate campaigns in span of 2 years...we usually see how a single swing state Senate campaign itself can be gruelling, it's amazing that Warnock was involved in four such campaigns in just 2 years. It must have been exhausting
He joked about it during his victory speech.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #3540 on: December 07, 2022, 05:36:59 PM »

ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3541 on: December 07, 2022, 05:42:10 PM »

Bro apparently Warnock won most precincts in eastern Cobb, almost every Henry and Gwinnett precinct, and a few precincts in Cherokee County. That’s actually insane
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3542 on: December 07, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2022, 06:20:02 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I didn't post here since last night, shortly after polls first closed, but I'm kind of glad that I decided to avoid watching the returns as they came in. Even though the result is almost exactly what I predicted (I was off by .1% in both directions-still rare for me to ever get that close!) I don't think I could have taken the suspense if going back a ways in this thread is any indication.

But anyway, for me it wasn't disturbingly closer than expected and is still a solid result in a state that will probably only get more favorable for Democrats from here on out. Stay peachy Georgia! Thanks for sending Walker back to Texas or Transylvania, or wherever. You're (mostly) a bastion of sanity in the Deep South, especially compared to your neighbor who will remain unnamed.

And as much as Walker is a mouth-breathing, amoral hypocrite I will hand it to him for graciously conceding. It was actually the best result for him to lose just as much as it was for Georgia to not have to face the humiliation of being represented by him for six years. He seemed to enjoy campaigning but he would have been unhappy and sorely out-of-place in the job of Senator much like Trump in being President. Sure he enjoyed the title and the perks, but he doesn't give a rat's ass about policy or public service. But I digress, Walker is now spared of his obligation to please his friend, Trump now. I'd be more than happy to hear him out if he ever starts up a movie review podcast. I think that is what his future holds. Forget politics for everyone's sake, Herschel!

Also, I know Warnock still has work to do in the Senate, but nobody deserves a vacation more than him. Four elections in two years!? That sounds exhausting.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #3543 on: December 07, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »

For all the talk about north Georgia rurals swinging to Walker, that's probably the area where Kemp would have the greatest effect on getting those skeptical of Walker to pull the lever of him. His purported "operation" was probably strongest there.

As for the precincts of counties, how are you all getting them? The SOS downloads aren't working for me.
dougbasedrino
Rookie
« Reply #3544 on: December 07, 2022, 07:00:34 PM »

I would have voted for both MTG and Warnock lol
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3545 on: December 07, 2022, 07:00:58 PM »

Bro apparently Warnock won most precincts in eastern Cobb, almost every Henry and Gwinnett precinct, and a few precincts in Cherokee County. That’s actually insane

If democrats start to get around 40% in Cherokee County then I think republicans will be done in Georgia
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3546 on: December 07, 2022, 07:13:09 PM »

For all the talk about north Georgia rurals swinging to Walker, that's probably the area where Kemp would have the greatest effect on getting those skeptical of Walker to pull the lever of him. His purported "operation" was probably strongest there.

As for the precincts of counties, how are you all getting them? The SOS downloads aren't working for me.

Some of the bigger counties have integrated precinct result maps in the SoS data: click on "counties reporting" and then click on counties like Fulton, Gwinnett, etc.

And here's Cobb. Wow:

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3547 on: December 07, 2022, 07:15:43 PM »

I didn't post here since last night, shortly after polls first closed, but I'm kind of glad that I decided to avoid watching the returns as they came in. Even though the result is almost exactly what I predicted (I was off by .1% in both directions-still rare for me to ever get that close!) I don't think I could have taken the suspense if going back a ways in this thread is any indication.

...are we past the point where people are panicking (like in November) because ruby-red county ED vote dumped T+2 hours in while more D vote is outstanding? I hope so.

Narrator: they were not.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3548 on: December 07, 2022, 07:40:19 PM »

If democrats start to get around 40% in Cherokee County then I think republicans will be done in Georgia

Given Cherokee was literally R+40 in 2020 narrowing it to R+20 would literally make GA a safe blue state given what it implies about the Atlanta metro counties, in general.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3549 on: December 07, 2022, 07:42:48 PM »

Forsyth and Cherokee have traditionally been and still are the 2 biggest R vote nets in the state. In 2020, Trump net 100k between them. The GOP would have to make up those votes from somewhere else, but it's unclear where at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies