GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:34:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 147
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2022 Megathread: Werewolves and Vampires  (Read 147147 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: October 15, 2022, 04:37:50 PM »

I moved from supporting nobody to supporting Walker after this debate.

I genuinely don’t know how this debate could improve your opinion of Walker, can you please elaborate?

I can understand if it didn’t change your opinion, or if you were supporting him before and continue to do so, but to go from undecided to pro-Walker? How?

DTC is a crazy person, that's how.

To me, what is crazy is completely ignoring how big of an issue inflation is in this country. One of the biggest reasons why I voted for Joe Biden is democrats have traditionally had a better record on inflation, and Trump contributed a lot to the national debt. But the second Joe Biden came into office, he implemented many policies that contributed to inflation an exacerbated it, such as the American Rescue Plan, the rent moratorium, expanded unemployment, $400 billion student loan debt removal, among other poorly thought out policies. But I suppose looking good in your circle is more important than being able to afford basic goods and services.

What are Republicans going to do to alleviate inflation?

Keystone XL pipeline, tax cuts to top brackets
Subsidies to polluters.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #1401 on: October 15, 2022, 04:51:30 PM »

It looks like Walker won the debate. Looking forward to election night!

Neither of them won, but ok.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1402 on: October 15, 2022, 05:10:15 PM »

I get its a political forum, but its weird how folks place such hyper-inflated significance on these debates
They will watch the debate at home alone, and then come to this forum saying "Walker just consolidated the R base". Huh? You literally had that discussion with yourself and made that up. It's so weird. LOL.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1403 on: October 15, 2022, 05:12:10 PM »

I'm sorry - what is Herschel Walker's "record on fighting crime"? He certainly has a record WITH crime, that's for sure.

Clearly not only are pundits brains fried but so are Walker's teams

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1404 on: October 15, 2022, 05:18:31 PM »

I'm sorry - what is Herschel Walker's "record on fighting crime"? He certainly has a record WITH crime, that's for sure.

Herschel Walker has such a great record with law enforcement. They simulated a threatened shootout situation! Walker always here for the cops and helping train the cops. God bless you Herschel. Bless his heart...
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1405 on: October 15, 2022, 05:41:19 PM »

The real copium in this thread is thinking that this debate was significant enough to change Walker's fortunes. I'll concede that it has more staying power than every other debate that has happened so far, and may only be eclipsed by the Fetterman vs. Oz debate, due to the national attention Walker's past with abortions have yielded, but all anyone is talking about still is the fake badge and the awkward exchange in which the moderator chided him for it. Now, Walker could double-down on it and hand out fake badges all he wants but it's real relevance is going to be in memes and mockery on late night comedy shows. And I doubt any of that alters the polls in his favor. A low expectation exceeding debate performance sure did a lot for Masters, looking at it objectively, didn't it? The only change in the polls of that race was in the Libertarian's favor. Unless a truly horrific gaffe or self-implosion happens, Americans just aren't moved by debates anymore, for better and worse. If they did Trump never would have been President. I expect the Georgia race to be exactly where it was before, and Walker's abortion hypocrisy will not be so easily forgotten.

I hope to see some polls very soon though. If there is in fact movement towards Walker from this I will eat crow while simultaneously feeling even worse about humanity and American voters in particular, than I did before. You can quote me on this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1406 on: October 15, 2022, 05:42:58 PM »

Just because Walker won the debate doesn't put his past behind him Walker has to win blk and female votes and his past still gonna stay with him

It's still a 51/45 Senate to me Nate Silver already says GA and PA leans D while UT, OH, WI and NC are Tossups
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1407 on: October 15, 2022, 05:47:16 PM »

To be fair, “make up little badges and hand them out” is basically how Walker got his in the first place.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1408 on: October 15, 2022, 06:41:45 PM »

Out of curiosity, when was the last time there was a debate in any race that Republican posters here didn’t claim was a decisive win for their candidate and would move the race in their favor?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1409 on: October 15, 2022, 06:42:29 PM »

Was pleasantly surprised by some of Walker's performance. Obviously there was a still a good deal of idiocy to go around - the solution to rising insulin prices being cheap gasoline, the prop stunt, etc- but I entered with literally zero expectations, and he held Warnock's feet to the fire incredibly effectively on the abortion issue, he declared with no reservations that he would accept any outcome in November, and he didn't completely sh*t the bed. Obviously, accepting the result of an election is not something for which someone should be given much kudos, but it was still pleasing to hear in this day and age.

Somehow I don't think one side saying the issue should be with a woman and her doctor and the other side saying "why are you aborting babies instead of baptizing them" is going to be seen at parity with most rational people

Walker responding "You want taxpayer funding for abortion, so you're bringing the government right back into the room" upon Warnock saying the doctor's room was too small for a woman, her doctor, and the government was a fantastic rebuttal, and one that Warnock didn't even deny.

Warnock's position on abortion is something that I've always been very uncomfortable about with him. He's adopting the generic Democratic position on the issue, and I don't think I've ever heard him say that he was personally pro-life or that he didn't morally condone the practice. Yes, he's a Democrat, but he's also a pastor, and I've always struggled with how a man of God can support a practice such as that.

Because you're a pastor, you should be automatically be pro-life? Come on, that is some gross stuff. It's 2022, and there is nothing morally wrong with abortion. Stop it.

You need to stop it. Don't expect me to bend to your desires on this issue. I've been very clear about my stances with regards to abortion policy, but I'll reiterate my stances again, and note how they are at odds with those of the Democrats. I don't support taxpayer funding of abortion (which Warnock does), I support a 15-week ban on the practice (which Warnock and other Democrats don't), and I support strictures such as parental consent, parental notification, and licensing/safety requirements for abortion providers, as well as a mandatory waiting period.

I am a strong supporter of the Hyde Amendment. I don't think abortion should be entirely banned, and I also support the exceptions for rape, incest, and life/health of the mother. But I think the Democrats have become too extreme on this issue, and I surely don't support the Women's Health Protection Act. All of this weighs on how I decide to vote, and who I decide to vote for. On this issue, I don't agree with Warnock.

Yes, abortion is morally wrong, and yes, it should be permitted, at least to a certain extent, but not without limits, and it should not be regarded with praise.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1410 on: October 16, 2022, 12:09:55 AM »

The last two pages of this thread makes my brain melt
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1411 on: October 16, 2022, 12:37:10 AM »

Was pleasantly surprised by some of Walker's performance. Obviously there was a still a good deal of idiocy to go around - the solution to rising insulin prices being cheap gasoline, the prop stunt, etc- but I entered with literally zero expectations, and he held Warnock's feet to the fire incredibly effectively on the abortion issue, he declared with no reservations that he would accept any outcome in November, and he didn't completely sh*t the bed. Obviously, accepting the result of an election is not something for which someone should be given much kudos, but it was still pleasing to hear in this day and age.

Somehow I don't think one side saying the issue should be with a woman and her doctor and the other side saying "why are you aborting babies instead of baptizing them" is going to be seen at parity with most rational people

Walker responding "You want taxpayer funding for abortion, so you're bringing the government right back into the room" upon Warnock saying the doctor's room was too small for a woman, her doctor, and the government was a fantastic rebuttal, and one that Warnock didn't even deny.

Warnock's position on abortion is something that I've always been very uncomfortable about with him. He's adopting the generic Democratic position on the issue, and I don't think I've ever heard him say that he was personally pro-life or that he didn't morally condone the practice. Yes, he's a Democrat, but he's also a pastor, and I've always struggled with how a man of God can support a practice such as that.

Because you're a pastor, you should be automatically be pro-life? Come on, that is some gross stuff. It's 2022, and there is nothing morally wrong with abortion. Stop it.

You need to stop it. Don't expect me to bend to your desires on this issue. I've been very clear about my stances with regards to abortion policy, but I'll reiterate my stances again, and note how they are at odds with those of the Democrats. I don't support taxpayer funding of abortion (which Warnock does), I support a 15-week ban on the practice (which Warnock and other Democrats don't), and I support strictures such as parental consent, parental notification, and licensing/safety requirements for abortion providers, as well as a mandatory waiting period.

I am a strong supporter of the Hyde Amendment. I don't think abortion should be entirely banned, and I also support the exceptions for rape, incest, and life/health of the mother. But I think the Democrats have become too extreme on this issue, and I surely don't support the Women's Health Protection Act. All of this weighs on how I decide to vote, and who I decide to vote for. On this issue, I don't agree with Warnock.

Yes, abortion is morally wrong, and yes, it should be permitted, at least to a certain extent, but not without limits, and it should not be regarded with praise.

I agree on this.

At the end of the day, abortion is mainly a medical/scientific issue.

While morals def have a role in the discussion Republicans sort of abused the morals of “killing” a fetus. They use this to paint anyone who disagrees with them as heartless.

On the flip side, democrats have made abortion synonymous with women’s rights and have used that to say if you disagree with our position, then you don’t support women and are sexist.

Very few countries have no restrictions on abortion but most countries have basic guidelines to allow it in most cases. Relative to the world, both sides are quite extreme on this issue which imo has gotten way more attention than it needs or deserves. Both sides just use it to get attention and messaging.

Again, I don’t mean this in the wrong way, but I feel like abortion doenst rise to the level of issues such as the economy/inflation, climate change, energy, taxes, general healthcare, gun violence+crime, LGBTQ rights, democracy, ect in terms of actually shaping our society. Yet it sucks up so much Oxygen.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1412 on: October 16, 2022, 07:42:50 AM »

The last two pages of this thread makes my brain melt

Have you considered running for Senate in Georgia?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1413 on: October 16, 2022, 08:31:57 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2022, 08:36:05 AM by wbrocks67 »

I agree on this.

While morals def have a role in the discussion Republicans sort of abused the morals of “killing” a fetus. They use this to paint anyone who disagrees with them as heartless.

On the flip side, democrats have made abortion synonymous with women’s rights and have used that to say if you disagree with our position, then you don’t support women and are sexist.

Very few countries have no restrictions on abortion but most countries have basic guidelines to allow it in most cases. Relative to the world, both sides are quite extreme on this issue which imo has gotten way more attention than it needs or deserves. Both sides just use it to get attention and messaging.

Again, I don’t mean this in the wrong way, but I feel like abortion doenst rise to the level of issues such as the economy/inflation, climate change, energy, taxes, general healthcare, gun violence+crime, LGBTQ rights, democracy, ect in terms of actually shaping our society. Yet it sucks up so much Oxygen.

And it's likely because you're a man.

Why is so hard for people to grasp that abortion rights is not just about abortion - it's about a fundamental right of a person (women) to make a CHOICE about THEIR body?! That is the point! It is a women's right's issue. If you disagree with the right to choose, or Roe v Wade, then you're saying a woman doesn't have a *RIGHT* to what happens to *HER* body.

So yes, for WOMEN, it's likely a little more important than taxes for gods sake. Jesus christ, this should not have to be explained still.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1414 on: October 16, 2022, 08:33:07 AM »

Republicans *literally* want to ban abortion outright - and in many cases, with no exceptions - and Democrats are the ones who are extreme on this issue? For wanting to give women the right to choose what happens to their body, over a politician? Are you kidding me?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1415 on: October 16, 2022, 08:33:42 AM »

I agree on this.

Why is so hard for people to grasp that abortion rights is not just about abortion - it's about a fundamental right of a person (women) to make a CHOICE about THEIR body?!

So yes, for WOMEN, it's likely a little more important than taxes for gods sake. Jesus christ, this should not have to be explained still.

This is definitely a very important question about what a person and what a society is.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1416 on: October 16, 2022, 08:35:54 AM »

Republicans *literally* want to ban abortion outright - and in many cases, with no exceptions - and Democrats are the ones who are extreme on this issue? For wanting to give women the right to choose what happens to their body, over a politician? Are you kidding me?

I've said before that both parties are extreme on the issue. I am not comfortable with Democrats who want for this practice to be permitted to the extent that they do, nor do I think abortion should be entirely subscribed. And I'll say that I'm voting for a number of Democratic candidates in spite of the abortion issue. Most voters are capable of thinking and voting on a variety of issues, and not just on abortion.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1417 on: October 16, 2022, 08:38:14 AM »

I've said before that both parties are extreme on the issue. I am not comfortable with Democrats who want for this practice to be permitted to the extent that they do, nor do I think abortion should be entirely subscribed. And I'll say that I'm voting for a number of Democratic candidates in spite of the abortion issue. Most voters are capable of thinking and voting on a variety of issues, and not just on abortion.

But you keep on conflating these things as if they are equal. Republicans wanting to ban it completely outright versus Democrats who are clearly more flexible on the issue given the state (whether it's a certain amount week ban or what) are not the same, and yet you are treating those sides as equal with a heavy hand of "both sides ism."

Taking away a right completely and giving a little too much leeway into "freedom", as you seem to see it, are two things that are not the same in any aspect.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1418 on: October 16, 2022, 08:42:27 AM »

But you keep on conflating these things as if they are equal. Republicans wanting to ban it completely outright versus Democrats who are clearly more flexible on the issue given the state (whether it's a certain amount week ban or what) are not the same, and yet you are treating those sides as equal with a heavy hand of "both sides ism."

Taking away a right completely and giving a little too much leeway into "freedom", as you seem to see it, are two things that are not the same in any aspect.

There goes the "#bothsidesism" attack again. Yes, I do view Democrats and Republicans as being equally objectionable on this issue, and I don't fully align with either party's positions on it. As I've made clear before, I'm strongly in favor of exceptions and don't think the practice should be entirely proscribed, but I support limiting it in ways that Democrats, in this day and age, generally do not. And I don't believe that abortion is a fundamental right or that it was ever protected by the Constitution. Dobbs, in my view, was the correct decision from a legal standpoint.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1419 on: October 16, 2022, 08:55:46 AM »

I agree on this.

Why is so hard for people to grasp that abortion rights is not just about abortion - it's about a fundamental right of a person (women) to make a CHOICE about THEIR body?! That is the point! It is a women's right's issue. If you disagree with the right to choose, or Roe v Wade, then you're saying a woman doesn't have a *RIGHT* to what happens to *HER* body.

Yes I am a man so this issue is less likely to directly impact me personally, but it doesn't exclude me from being able to have an opinion.

I do believe abortion is a right for women, my main issue is with elective abortions being covered by taxpayer dollars and late term elective abortions (though it's important to remember as is those are rare).

I understand why a lot of women are fearful about the issue after the SCOTUS ruling and these very strict laws in Republican lead states. But that doesn't mean that abortion should go unrestricted.

Ig another good example of a right we all have but is restricted is guns. Many gun owners see any action small or large as a potential infringement on their right to carry. But realistically, we need restrictions on guns because otherwise we have violence and death.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1420 on: October 16, 2022, 08:56:05 AM »

From the last few pages of this thread I have to wonder if someone spiked my orange juice.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1421 on: October 16, 2022, 09:12:11 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1422 on: October 16, 2022, 09:31:19 AM »

From the last few pages of this thread I have to wonder if someone spiked my orange juice.

From the last few pages, I wish someone had spiked mine.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1423 on: October 16, 2022, 01:43:19 PM »

The way that tweet was worded, I thought the ad would be for Walker.

Though with today's Republican Party, it still could be.  "Herschel Walker isn't afraid to use his Second Amendment rights to stand up to the shrill pro-abortion activists, especially when they're inside his own home."
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1424 on: October 16, 2022, 05:59:23 PM »

Apparently there is another debate tonight but Walker is not going?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 147  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies