DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:31:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 273358 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3650 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:00 PM »
« edited: January 10, 2021, 02:20:18 PM by Badger »

Sen Roy Blunt: Trump "learned his lesson", shouldn't resign

Quote from: Daily Beast
Remember when Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) explained away her decision to acquit President Donald Trump of impeachment last year because, in her opinion, “the president has learned from this case?”

Well, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) gave us the sequel to that hopelessly naive notion on Sunday morning.

“I think the country is the right way to hold presidents accountable,” he said. “The president should be very careful over the next 10 days that his behavior is what you would expect from the leader of the greatest country in the world.”

“My personal view is that the president touched the hot stove on Wednesday and is unlikely to touch it again,” the senator continued. “And if that’s the case, we get—every day we get closer to the last day of his presidency. We should be thinking more about the first day of the next presidency than the last day of his presidency.”

I really, really wish that fool would have lost to Kander.

This is by no means Just Roy blunt. This is the talking point du jour from the entire Republican Party. Pretty much every single Republican member of Congress coming out against impeachment has used a near-identical line about we must not impeach because that will undermine healing unde the new president and coming together and only be divisive, blah blah blah blah blah. It's obviously an organized media campaign from McConnell's & McCarthy's office.

The real stories of course they want to run out the clock on the last 10 days without having to take a stand. They wish neither to explain to their general election voters-- as well as their grandchildren - - why they voted to give Trump yet another pass for the most reprehensible act of outright treason ever committed by a sitting president (with James Buchanan admittedly in the running), or alternatively have to deal with primary challenges after they vote against the man whom is shamefully still the most popular in their party.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3651 on: January 10, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3652 on: January 10, 2021, 02:05:54 PM »

Trump vs. the tech conglomerates has always been a "whoever loses, we win" situation, so it's beautiful to see him losing office with both of them inflicting genuine, potentially serious damage on each other. The pardons thing and the Alamo thing are much more concerning, though.

Trump is already destroyed and is leaving office, so I’m definitely rooting for him on this lol

Tech companies allowed the spread of fascism when it benefited their financial interests (they still do it outside the US), now they want to be aligned with the democrats after they won all spheres of power.

This should be an issue that unites left and right. Break up Big Tech immediately. If Parler should be boycotted for being a platform that enables fascism, so should these big tech companies with way more damaging reach and impact.

My fear is if democrats get in bed with big tech now that they’re sending signals they will be aligned with the interests of the party. Maybe even, who knows, repress left-wing organizations critical of them.

Democrats need to understand that if a fascist ever gets in power again, or anyone else close, big tech will adapt to not be against them either and use their destructive ideology for the sake of their own profit. That’s only what’s at stake for them, no civic responsability with the interests of the countries and their people.

This is something BERNIE and WARREN advocated for. It will be very interesting to see if they will maintain a leadership position on this and push democrats away from a position that can lead to the increasing moral decadence of Western society.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3653 on: January 10, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »

Click to read the whole thread, which is very good.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3654 on: January 10, 2021, 02:16:31 PM »

NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3655 on: January 10, 2021, 02:26:05 PM »

Yoda
United States

« Reply #3656 on: January 10, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »

Liberals would do well to reflect on this quote by Martin Luther King, there is a lot of truth to it with regard to how many Americans feel.

A riot is the language of the unheard - Martin Luther King

If there is one thing on God's green Earth that a trump supporter is not, it's unheard. You can't open a paper without reading yet another profile of one of their diners in the middle of nowhere. They are not an oppressed minority like African Americans in the civil rights era, they are a coddled, romanticized minority that uses violence and corruption to achieve their political goals and to stay in power despite almost always receiving less votes than the majority party.

Don't twist Dr. King's words to defend racists, neo-nazis and murderers. It's disgusting.

All the major institutions, corporations, academia, media, the entertainment industry are opposed to Trump supporters who are ridiculed and often lose their jobs for the views, they are an oppressed group, they are oppressed by all of the major institutions and their voices are not listened to by any major institution in America except for now the WH.

Lol are you high on space drugs? Corporate America and the media is overwhelmingly conservative. Conservatives have no less than three nationwide TV news networks dedicated solely to disseminating their propaganda, and countless more local stations owned by Sinclair and rag magazines.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3657 on: January 10, 2021, 02:44:31 PM »

Thank God. And I don't believe that is a hyperbolic statement whatsoever. Mass prosecution's of these people who almost universally escaped arrest on that day is a crucial part of History establishing the wrongness of this traitorous violent insurrection.

Now if they'll just go after the ringleader....

They have a very good defense. They were instructed to do so by the President of the United States. They believed they were doing the right thing.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3658 on: January 10, 2021, 02:46:53 PM »

Thank God. And I don't believe that is a hyperbolic statement whatsoever. Mass prosecution's of these people who almost universally escaped arrest on that day is a crucial part of History establishing the wrongness of this traitorous violent insurrection.

They have a very good defense. They were instructed to do so by the President of the United States. They believed they were doing the right thing.

Ah, the "Hitler made me do it" defense.  Good luck with that.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3659 on: January 10, 2021, 02:47:57 PM »

EXTREMELY GRAPHIC video of Trump supporters choking an officer and attempting to tear his arm off with a door is starting to circulate.

Purely horrifying.

Yoda
United States

« Reply #3660 on: January 10, 2021, 02:49:36 PM »

God, I sincerey hope this means they know who murdered Brian Sicknick. I was really, really worried that there would turn out to be no photos or videos identifying the terrorists who murdered him and it was literally making me seethe with rage.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #3661 on: January 10, 2021, 02:51:17 PM »

Not a good defense. Only thing that will do is further implicate trump and strengthen the case against him.
walleye26

« Reply #3662 on: January 10, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »

EXTREMELY GRAPHIC video of Trump supporters choking an officer and attempting to tear his arm off with a door is starting to circulate.

Purely horrifying.

I’m opposed to police brutality, but they should’ve opened fire into the crowd at this point. In Wisconsin, the legal standard for lethal force is “to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm” and I’m sure this would qualify as great bodily harm.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3663 on: January 10, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »

Wouldn’t that put one in more legal jeopardy not let less.

‘You stand accused of unlawful entry, disorderly conduct, and vandalism’
‘Oh no, your honor, I was trying to overthrow the government on the President’s behalf. He told me to.’
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3664 on: January 10, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »

Not a good defense. Only thing that will do is further implicate trump and strengthen the case against him.

It is a good defense, because culpability depends on your perception of right and wrong.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3665 on: January 10, 2021, 02:59:08 PM »

Wouldn’t that put one in more legal jeopardy not let less.

‘You stand accused of unlawful entry, disorderly conduct, and vandalism’
‘Oh no, your honor, I was trying to overthrow the government on the President’s behalf. He told me to.’

He wouldn't say that.

‘Oh no, your honor, I was trying to stop the steal. The President told me to.’
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3666 on: January 10, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »

Defending sedition, terrorism, illegal entry, vandalism, physical assault, beating an officer to death with a fire extinguisher, beating an officer to the point of making them commit suicide, and beating an officer to the point in which a wooden doorframe is about to tear their arm off to own the libs.

But remember, The Green New Deal is gonna take muh job!
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3667 on: January 10, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »

Liberals would do well to reflect on this quote by Martin Luther King, there is a lot of truth to it with regard to how many Americans feel.

A riot is the language of the unheard - Martin Luther King

This violent coup attempt in which several people were murdered was the language of those who have had near absolute power for the last four years and are now afraid of having to share power.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3668 on: January 10, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 03:38:15 PM by Virginiá »

An officer who worked at the Capitol during the riot has committed suicide:

https://www.thewrap.com/capitol-officer-dies-suicide/

https://twitter.com/nancycordes/status/1348298401369227265?

How sad.
I wonder why he committed suicide?
He sounds like a really nice man, who loved doing his job and teaching/showing visitors what the Capitol was all about.
Sad
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3669 on: January 10, 2021, 03:07:26 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 03:59:55 PM by TexasGurl »

There can be no more tolerance for people who would side with a now proven and even admitted traitor.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3670 on: January 10, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »

This is monstrous
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3671 on: January 10, 2021, 03:10:33 PM »

This is monstrous

I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I hate this country.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3672 on: January 10, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »

This is monstrous

I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I hate this country.

Our country cannot be allowed to belong to these fascist terrorists
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3673 on: January 10, 2021, 03:12:08 PM »

This is monstrous

I mean seriously.
At that point, they should have used their guns (specifically targeted at those who were dragging the officer).
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3674 on: January 10, 2021, 03:12:41 PM »

This is monstrous
Felony Murder
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151 152 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies