DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:35:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 276069 times)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3675 on: January 10, 2021, 03:12:53 PM »

This is monstrous

I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I hate this country.

Our country cannot be allowed to belong to these fascist terrorists

Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they're going away any time soon, particularly with how weak the response has been from both the Democratic Party, the GOP, and the cabinet. In any other country, this would be the beginning of a new era, and outside of arrests and an impeachment effort that will likely fail, nothing has substantially changed yet.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3676 on: January 10, 2021, 03:16:05 PM »

Fareed Zakaria: There is cause for optimism after capitol attack.

Watch the 5-1/2 minute video here ... https://us.cnn.com/videos/tv/2021/01/10/exp-gps-0110-fareeds-take.cnn
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3677 on: January 10, 2021, 03:16:55 PM »

Liberals would do well to reflect on this quote by Martin Luther King, there is a lot of truth to it with regard to how many Americans feel.

A riot is the language of the unheard - Martin Luther King

You should be banned for life, and if you were in America I would hope you are arrested.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #3678 on: January 10, 2021, 03:17:16 PM »

Thank God. And I don't believe that is a hyperbolic statement whatsoever. Mass prosecution's of these people who almost universally escaped arrest on that day is a crucial part of History establishing the wrongness of this traitorous violent insurrection.

Now if they'll just go after the ringleader....

They have a very good defense. They were instructed to do so by the President of the United States. They believed they were doing the right thing.

Not a good defense. Only thing that will do is further implicate trump and strengthen the case against him.

It is a good defense, because culpability depends on your perception of right and wrong.

Nope, that’s not how the law works at all.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #3679 on: January 10, 2021, 03:30:11 PM »

If you still support Donald Trump, you’re a terrorist yourself.

There can be no more tolerance for people who would side with a now proven and even admitted traitor.

Terrorism requires actually using violence to carry out your goals, so I wouldn't call anyone a terrorist unless they are violent or advocate violence. I can see the argument for calling Trump himself a terrorist, and I would probably agree, but I wouldn't extend that to every single one of his supporters.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3680 on: January 10, 2021, 03:33:52 PM »

This is monstrous

I'm no longer ashamed to admit that I hate this country.

Our country cannot be allowed to belong to these fascist terrorists

Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they're going away any time soon, particularly with how weak the response has been from both the Democratic Party, the GOP, and the cabinet. In any other country, this would be the beginning of a new era, and outside of arrests and an impeachment effort that will likely fail, nothing has substantially changed yet.

I'm very worried about the future of this country, and have been for some time.  If I weren't so old and settled I'd seriously consider emigrating.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3681 on: January 10, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »

"Some Americans have traveled a path to radicalization that reminds current and former U.S. national security officials of the indoctrination of Islamist militants."

This quote is from the Washington Post.
Think about this for a minute. trump cultists are compared equally to ISIS Terrorists ... as they should be.

WAPO article link here ... https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/trump-capitol-mob-attack-origins/2021/01/09/0cb2cf5e-51d4-11eb-83e3-322644d82356_story.html
Yoda
United States

« Reply #3682 on: January 10, 2021, 03:42:03 PM »

Thank God. And I don't believe that is a hyperbolic statement whatsoever. Mass prosecution's of these people who almost universally escaped arrest on that day is a crucial part of History establishing the wrongness of this traitorous violent insurrection.

Now if they'll just go after the ringleader....

They have a very good defense. They were instructed to do so by the President of the United States. They believed they were doing the right thing.

Not a good defense. Only thing that will do is further implicate trump and strengthen the case against him.

It is a good defense, because culpability depends on your perception of right and wrong.

IANAL, but I think this would only work if you were to plead not guilty by reason of insanity.

Breaking and entering a federal building with the intent to "Hang Mike Pence" and kill members of Congress is pretty universally considered to be "wrong". But good luck to your beloved terrorist friends trying to argue otherwise in court.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3683 on: January 10, 2021, 03:49:17 PM »

The Horned Viking was taken into custody and was living with his mom. He got evicted from his apartment and failed as an actor. What a waste.

A lot of AA males can't live with their moms anymore, since alot of the Boomer AA mom's died from diabetes, an epidemic, among elderly AA females, like Nell Carter
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3684 on: January 10, 2021, 04:23:36 PM »

This is monstrous
I cannot see a police officer being dragged down the steps and beaten.

Doesn't change the fact that this is yet another extremely disturbing video. It gives me physical pain watching it.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3685 on: January 10, 2021, 04:50:41 PM »

Loss of the PGA championship was already mentioned in this thread, but this is more extensive.

There have also been reports of several companies and organizations suspending donations to all Republicans who voted against certifying the electoral count.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3686 on: January 10, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »

Yeah...this is worse than Charlottesville backlash, isn’t it?
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3687 on: January 10, 2021, 04:55:53 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 04:58:55 PM by Santander »

Loss of the PGA championship was already mentioned in this thread, but this is more extensive.

There have also been reports of several companies and organizations suspending donations to all Republicans who voted against certifying the electoral count.

This is the PGA of America, which is a separate organization from the PGA Tour, and the only tournament Trump cares about that they organize is the PGA Championship (and the Senior counterpart, I suppose). But I would be surprised if the PGA Tour or R&A (which already excluded Turnberry from The Open rota) didn't do the same.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3688 on: January 10, 2021, 04:56:46 PM »

Yesh...this is worse than Charlottesville backlash, isn’t it?

Easily.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3689 on: January 10, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »

It seems that Trump's business will be hurt a lot.
If I were him, I would sell all assets as soon as possible.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #3690 on: January 10, 2021, 05:09:04 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 08:11:00 PM by Helsinkian »

Doesn't change the fact that this is yet another extremely disturbing video. It gives me physical pain watching it.

Here's a still picture from the same event:

The video's angle doesn't show us everything but you can see that the man in the CAT sweater is there, and at 0:11 you can see a man hitting the officer with the flag, and after that at 0:15 one of the rioters takes his helmet and puts it on his own head.

Edit. Some are saying that that is a different police officer, not Sicknick.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3691 on: January 10, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »

It'll be tough. Ongoing criminal investigations, hesitance from even Russian or Chinese banks to finance him, business partners fleeing, and an extremely depressed hospitality industry could mean he can't even afford to sell.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3692 on: January 10, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »

Here's a still picture from the same event:

The video's angle doesn't show us everything but you can see that the man in the CAT sweater is there, and at 0:11 you can see a man hitting the officer with the flag, and after that at 0:15 one of the rioters takes his helmet and puts it on his own head.

God forgive America.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3693 on: January 10, 2021, 05:16:44 PM »

It'll be tough. Ongoing criminal investigations, hesitance from even Russian or Chinese banks to finance him, business partners fleeing, and an extremely depressed hospitality industry could mean he can't even afford to sell.

Regardless, he needs to sell and fast, because the price is going down, fast.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3694 on: January 10, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 05:25:13 PM by Ljube »

He can always invest the money in a new social media platform and hosting service.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3695 on: January 10, 2021, 05:18:47 PM »

The contrast to BLM protests couldn’t be any more jarring.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3696 on: January 10, 2021, 05:31:37 PM »

Trump Terrorists are being added to the no-fly list:

Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3697 on: January 10, 2021, 05:33:26 PM »

Trump Terrorists are being added to the no-fly list:

What a crybaby. Hope he likes long drives!
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3698 on: January 10, 2021, 05:33:46 PM »

From his podcast episode yesterday, Dan Crenshaw calls out Trump, Giuliani, etc. pretty brutally.

"There is nothing to be proud of. There is no patriotism to be had by what happened...Don't call yourself a patriot by what happened. You got someone killed. You accomplished nothing."

"...but none of them ("good" Republicans) were amping up January 6th. None of them were telling people to come and fight, and stand, and 'This is your revolution!...people I just mentioned (Congressmen with military experience who protected the Capitol during the coup) actually know what a fight looks like. The people who did hype everybody up, and you know who you are, and all of you know who they are, they were nowhere to be found. These cowards - who've never been in a fight themselves, who created one and then ran."

Slight on-the-fence-ism as is Crenshaw's signature trait, but I'm really impressed that he's willing to risk his 2024 primary odds this way. I saw him as one who would defend the events that happened.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3699 on: January 10, 2021, 05:35:30 PM »

From his podcast episode yesterday, Dan Crenshaw calls out Trump, Giuliani, etc. pretty brutally.

"There is nothing to be proud of. There is no patriotism to be had by what happened...Don't call yourself a patriot by what happened. You got someone killed. You accomplished nothing."

"...but none of them were amping up January 6th. None of them were telling people to come and fight, and stand, and 'This is your revolution!...people I just mentioned (Congressmen with military experience who protected the Capitol during the coup) actually know what a fight looks like. The people who did hype everybody up, and you know who you are, and all of you know who they are, they were nowhere to be found. These cowards - who've never been in a fight themselves, who created one and then ran."

Slight on-the-fence-ism as is Crenshaw's signature trait, but I'm really impressed that he's willing to risk his 2024 primary odds this way. I saw him as one who would defend the events that happened.

Trump brand will be toxic by 2024.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 [148] 149 150 151 152 153 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies