Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 01:42:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 271687 times)
tagimaucia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2425 on: January 05, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

Even if GOP got absolutely dream turnout today, I doubt there would be very many long lines.  There are only 3 races on the ballot and 3 million people have already voted.  Unless we were able to get live updates of actual numbers of votes cast in different locations like Florida(?) provides, there's probably very little we can learn until actual votes start being counted.
T0rM3nTeD
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2426 on: January 05, 2021, 10:45:53 AM »

1/5 Update - 3.093M votes so far

Total of 1,018,381 mail ballots accepted so far (1.32M in the General)
Total of 1.374M mail ballots requested so far (1.782M in the General)
Total of 2,074,994 EIP votes so far (2.694M in the General)

Breakdown of those votes by county following same percentages that they broke in the General would result in:

Dems - 1,631,019
GOP - 1,444,229

Dems +168,779

--------------------------------------------

My very simple projection model says that if every county has 66% of the election day turnout, and again they all break the same as they did in the GE, dems would still have a 26.7K lead at the end.

That would be a total turnout of 3.72M. The GE was just a little shy of 5M senate votes.

--------------------------------------------

At 80% election day turnout, I've got the GOP winning by 3.3K votes.

-------------------------------------------

I've said this before but it's been awhile. These numbers are simply taking the %'s of vote breakdown from each county for each type of vote (EIP, VBM, ED) based on the GE senate race.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2427 on: January 05, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »

I think everyone should be careful with their expectations. That includes expectations of when we’ll know with certainty who won.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #2428 on: January 05, 2021, 10:54:41 AM »

My sister and I just voted (both 2x D) and it took us about ten minutes. Some asshole who wasn’t wearing a mask was being rude to the election lady because she wouldn’t let him take a picture of him putting his ballot in the receptacle. Wonder who he was voting for. 🤔
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #2429 on: January 05, 2021, 10:55:25 AM »

I think everyone should be careful with their expectations. That includes expectations of when we’ll know with certainty who won.

Biden took the lead in GA on Nov. 6, three days later after election night. So yeah.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2430 on: January 05, 2021, 10:57:49 AM »

I think we know after midnight, Republicans win as any rational predictor would be able to see
forsythvoter

« Reply #2431 on: January 05, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »

I drove by my normal election day poling place this morning to ship a few packages and there weren't any lines. It might just be the time of day, but the early turnout in Forsyth County has been relatively low and they consolidated some polling places for the runoffs, so if there were a surge in election day voters because voters were intentionally waiting until today, I would expect it to be reflected here. Forsyth Co precincts tend to be pretty massive so lines are not uncommon. I didn't go inside and it's a pretty big building so maybe there's a line inside but iirc, there were people queing outside in November.

Keep in mind though my precinct is pretty competitive for GA. It went 58%-41% Trump and 60% - 39% for Perdue back in November, so turnout here doesn't swing results as much as the North GA rurals or urban ATL precincts do.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2432 on: January 05, 2021, 11:01:48 AM »

I think we know after midnight, Republicans win as any rational predictor would be able to see

Republicans may very well win both runoffs, but there's a lot of evidence that points to Democrats doing well too from polling to EV data to staying unified, ect. IMO, any rational person would say that these are 2 races that could realistically go either way; you can cherrypick evidence to point to a Republican or Democratic win, but overall a lot of it "cancels out"
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2433 on: January 05, 2021, 11:05:18 AM »

My sister and I just voted (both 2x D) and it took us about ten minutes. Some asshole who wasn’t wearing a mask was being rude to the election lady because she wouldn’t let him take a picture of him putting his ballot in the receptacle. Wonder who he was voting for. 🤔

Lucky. I had to wait 40 minutes in Harris County early voting.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2434 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:05 AM »

Damn it. We have to deal with this all over again?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2435 on: January 05, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »

I actually think we'll get the results quickly.

Since there are only three things on the ballot, it follows that counting should also be much quicker. Especially compared to November, when president, Senate, Congress, PSC, State Senate, State House, county positions and various initiatives were all being voted on.  
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #2436 on: January 05, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2021, 11:31:25 AM by QAnonKelly »

To quote a wise man, "Will you shut up man?"
forsythvoter

« Reply #2437 on: January 05, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »

I actually think we'll get the results quickly.

Since there are only three things on the ballot, it follows that counting should also be much quicker. Especially compared to November, when president, Senate, Congress, PSC, State Senate, State House, county positions and various initiatives were all being voted on.  

That makes sense, but shouldn't the faster throughput also apply for early voting? We did see lines in many places during early so I would assume we should for election day as well.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #2438 on: January 05, 2021, 11:18:56 AM »

Good to see that turnout appears to be low in one Trump precinct, but I prefer to follow the Nate Silver rule: Assume you learn nothing on Election Day until the votes start being reported.

It'd be even more "good" if turnout in that precinct was a. high and b. in fact switching to the Democrats, surely.
Buzz

« Reply #2439 on: January 05, 2021, 11:19:05 AM »

Georgia will find a way to make the counting slow, trust me.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2440 on: January 05, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »

To quote a wise name, "Will you shut up man?"

Hopefully I’ll be shut up sometime tonight
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #2441 on: January 05, 2021, 11:28:44 AM »

My anecdote to contribute:

An old college friend of mine who lives in DeKalb County went to vote with her family at poll opening this morning and the line was already 3 hours long upon their arrival. She cast her ballot at 10:13. People who arrived after her brought chairs and laptops to work from, and multiple people started offering and using each others' mobile hotspots. She said that she's used to long lines at her polling place, but this one felt longer than usual, though she thinks that could be due to social distancing giving the illusion of longer length. She voted by mail for the November general so couldn't compare.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2442 on: January 05, 2021, 11:36:18 AM »

My anecdote to contribute:

An old college friend of mine who lives in DeKalb County went to vote with her family at poll opening this morning and the line was already 3 hours long upon their arrival. She cast her ballot at 10:13. People who arrived after her brought chairs and laptops to work from, and multiple people started offering and using each others' mobile hotspots. She said that she's used to long lines at her polling place, but this one felt longer than usual, though she thinks that could be due to social distancing giving the illusion of longer length. She voted by mail for the November general so couldn't compare.

what?  that seems bizarre given how many people already voted.  Plus the length of the line looking longer than usual doesn't really matter if it was literally 3 hours until she cast her ballot.
pantsaregood
United States

« Reply #2443 on: January 05, 2021, 11:40:58 AM »

Remember that time that you couldn't stop responding to every single post with "Biden can't win Georgia?"
Remember when you told people they were naive for thinking Biden could win Georgia when he was down by 5000 votes and the remaining vote was all from the Atlanta metro?

Pepperidge farm remembers.
Buzz

« Reply #2444 on: January 05, 2021, 11:43:12 AM »

I have some family that works the polls in a small red county in central GA.  They were hoping for 800 people today and so far have 575.  Solid turnout.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2445 on: January 05, 2021, 11:52:44 AM »

Yeah, anyone rational could see how doomed Jacky Rosen was as well.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #2446 on: January 05, 2021, 11:54:47 AM »

I have some family that works the polls in a small red county in central GA.  They were hoping for 800 people today and so far have 575.  Solid turnout.

It wouldn't surprise me if turnout was much higher today on both sides - still good for Rs overall, of course.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #2447 on: January 05, 2021, 12:16:06 PM »

Bad news for the GOP

The The Wall Street Journal just reported that the Georgia Secretary of State says Election Day turnout is light so far....
MplsDem
Rookie

« Reply #2448 on: January 05, 2021, 12:21:03 PM »

Does anyone know if in person early votes will be reported with the election day vote tonight? Or are those counted later with the mail votes?
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #2449 on: January 05, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »

Does anyone know if in person early votes will be reported with the election day vote tonight? Or are those counted later with the mail votes?
reported later I think.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies