2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:56:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 647096 times)
TopShelfGoal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16000 on: November 07, 2020, 04:14:17 PM »

Do we have any numbers or stats on the so called "naked ballots" that were cast and rejected?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #16001 on: November 07, 2020, 04:15:52 PM »

Make that 0-9

6-3 means nothing when you're 0-9. Smiley
Pulaski

« Reply #16002 on: November 07, 2020, 04:17:04 PM »

A software error means ~80 000 mail-ins in Georgia aren't being reported - they'll likely lean Biden.

This is gonna take a while and people shouldn't get too doomer-y about early results.

Pennsylvania's mail-in vote leant Democratic by something like 40 points. There's plenty of reason to believe Biden can overcome the margin.

Hey wow would you look at that

This might be the third time I’ve quoted myself but I couldn’t care less
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16003 on: November 07, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »

Too much celebrating considering Trump is still president and the election is only legally binding if those currently in power allow it to be--and they likely won't

Not happening. Biden is 46.

That you, one of the biggest doomers, isn't worried is reassuring
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #16004 on: November 07, 2020, 04:19:47 PM »

Susan Collins would, unironically, be a fairly good and qualified Transportation secretary in a Biden administration.

She's become such a hated figure to Democrats that Biden would never dare select her for his cabinet. The way partisan Democrats talk about her, one would guess she's about on par with Graham or McConnell himself.

I can't stand her either, but if every Republican was more like Collins the Party would be much much different.

I agree with this, and am personally no fan of Collins, though I think Democrats would accept her in a relatively low-profile cabinet role in exchange for a Dem governor appointing her replacement.

She wouldn't take it though would she? Just won a tough reelection bid and is now 6th in republican seniority in the senate, at least 10 years younger than the five ahead of her.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16005 on: November 07, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »

Too much celebrating considering Trump is still president and the election is only legally binding if those currently in power allow it to be--and they likely won't

Not happening. Biden is 46.

That you, one of the biggest doomers, isn't worried is reassuring

I was never a doomer, but I've always been of the opinion that if Biden won convincingly (by more than a few electoral votes, in each individual swing state by more than a few thousand ballots) then the traditions and institutions of the United States would assert themselves to ensure he was inaugurated. The "Amy Coney Barrett declares four more years by fiat" nightmare scenario would only have worked if it had come down to the Pennsylvania equivalent of hanging chads. America is just too free a society to accept the overturning of results any more decisive than that.

What Trump can do is make the transition process a national nightmare and go out kicking and screaming, possibly in the custody of the US Marshals, on January 20. He can do that and I'm sure he will do that.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16006 on: November 07, 2020, 04:26:10 PM »

LOL give it up. EVERYONE is abandoning Trump. SCOTUS has already made it clear that they’re not gonna steal it for him.

He has outlived political usefulness to literally everyone. Doesn't negate the wide open space for obstruction to commence.

Indeed, this is a Pyrrhic victory at best; at worst it puts McConnell back in the drivers seat entirely.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #16007 on: November 07, 2020, 04:28:40 PM »

Susan Collins would, unironically, be a fairly good and qualified Transportation secretary in a Biden administration.

Why would Collins want this job? Is being Secretary of Transportation a more powerful position than being the median US Senator?

Maybe he could offer to appoint her to SCOTUS if she votes for court packing.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #16008 on: November 07, 2020, 04:29:50 PM »

compucomp

« Reply #16009 on: November 07, 2020, 04:30:05 PM »

Apache County in AZ just released 1022 votes and Biden's lead increased by 674, if anyone still cares.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16010 on: November 07, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »

LOL give it up. EVERYONE is abandoning Trump. SCOTUS has already made it clear that they’re not gonna steal it for him.

He has outlived political usefulness to literally everyone. Doesn't negate the wide open space for obstruction to commence.

Indeed, this is a Pyrrhic victory at best; at worst it puts McConnell back in the drivers seat entirely.

Presidents come and go, but Cocaine Mitch is forever. I hate that he's becoming the Mike Madigan of federal politics, but you do kind of have to respect it in the way that one respects, say, Lex Luthor or Dr. No.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16011 on: November 07, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »

JG

« Reply #16012 on: November 07, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »

Why would Collins want this job? Is being Secretary of Transportation a more powerful position than being the median US Senator?

Stupid question probably, but don't you need to have a degree in law to become a justice?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16013 on: November 07, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »

Gonna be interesting to see what Tucker, Hannity, etc. have to say.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16014 on: November 07, 2020, 04:33:57 PM »

Apache County in AZ just released 1022 votes and Biden's lead increased by 674, if anyone still cares.

I've been following AZ with great interest. It's very possible that Biden wins Arizona by a smaller margin than Georgia.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16015 on: November 07, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16016 on: November 07, 2020, 04:35:37 PM »

Presidents come and go, but Cocaine Mitch is forever. I hate that he's becoming the Mike Madigan of federal politics, but you do kind of have to respect it in the way that one respects, say, Lex Luthor or Dr. No.

True, but the red hats creaming as Mitch bangs on about the deficit and foreign interventionism is going to be unlikely. And that's what matters the most. There will be no 2am fix. It'll be a hell of a comedown.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16017 on: November 07, 2020, 04:36:58 PM »

Michael and I opened a fine whisky, ate gummies, got drunk, puked and is having a lie down. A perfect end to the day.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #16018 on: November 07, 2020, 04:38:56 PM »

She's become such a hated figure to Democrats that Biden would never dare select her for his cabinet. The way partisan Democrats talk about her, one would guess she's about on par with Graham or McConnell himself.

I can't stand her either, but if every Republican was more like Collins the Party would be much much different.

I agree with this, and am personally no fan of Collins, though I think Democrats would accept her in a relatively low-profile cabinet role in exchange for a Dem governor appointing her replacement.

She wouldn't take it though would she? Just won a tough reelection bid and is now 6th in republican seniority in the senate, at least 10 years younger than the five ahead of her.

Yeah, I'm being speculative. I highly doubt Collins leaves the Senate, especially if it winds up being 50/50. She'd probably wield more power than ever before.
jd7171
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16019 on: November 07, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »

I'm extremely excited and relieved that Biden won. Time for some normalcy again.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #16020 on: November 07, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »

After hundreds and hundreds of pages... I finally took a nap, and they called it while I was sleeping. Ugh.

But yay!
dspNY
United States

« Reply #16021 on: November 07, 2020, 04:41:54 PM »

I care, I want that 306-232 map that will be karmic retribution against trump
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #16022 on: November 07, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »

Clever trick if it works. Could the same be done in Pennsylvania with Toomey? Might be worth putting a few Republicans in the Cabinet if it gets a sneaky Senate majority.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #16023 on: November 07, 2020, 04:48:47 PM »

Stupid question probably, but don't you need to have a degree in law to become a justice?
Technically no. But practically, the ABA considers 12 years of legal practice or related academic work to be a prerequisite to be a qualified judge.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #16024 on: November 07, 2020, 04:49:32 PM »

Clever trick if it works. Could the same be done in Pennsylvania with Toomey? Might be worth putting a few Republicans in the Cabinet if it gets a sneaky Senate majority.
Also offer posts to Roger Marshall, Jerry Moran, Bill Cassidy and John Neely Kennedy
Pages: 1 ... 636 637 638 639 640 [641] 642 643 644 645 646 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies