2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:47:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 609 610 611 [612] 613 614 615 616 617 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 637595 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15275 on: November 06, 2020, 11:20:08 PM »

"The elections chair in Erie County, Pa., said about 1,500 provisional ballots were cast there, and they’ve been about evenly split Trump-Biden. Biden’s lead will change little."-Trip Gabriel, NYT

What is a provisional ballot?

Someone shows up a precinct and isn't on the voter rolls. The person insists they are registered and should be on there, but the poll worker can't find their name on the list. OK, they get a provisional ballot and can fill it out, and if later it can be determined that the person was a valid voter after all, then they can count the vote, but it takes time and research.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15276 on: November 06, 2020, 11:21:15 PM »

For actual leadership, listening to science and doctors, and making decisions on something other than impulse.

Cry harder.

I mean Biden won and he does have a mandate for being president, Im just saying it doesn't look like a mandate to actually pass D leaning policy? Guess it depends on GA runoffs.
European Lefty
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.69, S: -7.68

« Reply #15277 on: November 06, 2020, 11:22:49 PM »

compucomp

« Reply #15278 on: November 06, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »

"The elections chair in Erie County, Pa., said about 1,500 provisional ballots were cast there, and they’ve been about evenly split Trump-Biden. Biden’s lead will change little."-Trip Gabriel, NYT

What is a provisional ballot?

Someone shows up a precinct and isn't on the voter rolls. The person insists they are registered and should be on there, but the poll worker can't find their name on the list. OK, they get a provisional ballot and can fill it out, and if later it can be determined that the person was a valid voter after all, then they can count the vote, but it takes time and research.

Yeah, in the past this would be the main reason for provisional ballots, but I would imagine this year there will be more people who requested an absentee ballot but changed their mind and went to vote in person instead. There was some anecdotal reports that there were many people doing this in SEPA fearing USPS shenanigans and they would be disproportionately Democratic (since they would have been part of the absentee ballot pool), but the Republicans are praying that these ballots turn out to be super R. It's very unlikely, but I guess they have to hold onto some hope.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15279 on: November 06, 2020, 11:24:25 PM »

You know, out of all the states on the 413 map, Georgia was second only to Texas in terms of how hard  it was to imagine it flipping. Even Ohio and Iowa, despite being theoretically harder, were easier to envision due to having seen them blue in my life past the age of 2. I was a literal child last time Dems won GA and AZ. Pretty crazy to see it become real now.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #15280 on: November 06, 2020, 11:25:18 PM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #15281 on: November 06, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »

Flipped over to Fox after Biden spoke, and was treated to Laura Ingram and Candace Owens making nasty attacks on Biden’s speaking ability. Candace was dumbfounded with how uninspiring and off putting Biden is.

Hey Candace. No one cares too what extent you are inspired. He got more votes, he won.
musicblind
United States

« Reply #15282 on: November 06, 2020, 11:31:06 PM »

Talk about kicking a guy in the balls when he's down.

Man, COVID gives no f***s. No F***s at all.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15283 on: November 06, 2020, 11:31:45 PM »

Yes, indeed.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15284 on: November 06, 2020, 11:32:04 PM »

For actual leadership, listening to science and doctors, and making decisions on something other than impulse.

Cry harder.

I mean Biden won and he does have a mandate for being president, Im just saying it doesn't look like a mandate to actually pass D leaning policy? Guess it depends on GA runoffs.

Honestly I think no matter who wins the GA runoffs we'll be ok. If Dems win them and get a "majority", then they'll be able to strait out pass their legislative agenda

If the GOP keeps the majority it'll be interesting to see how they behave. I think it's a real opportunity for both parties to be forced to find common ground with 2022 looming around the corner.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #15285 on: November 06, 2020, 11:32:47 PM »

It’s curious that Biden now has a better price to win Nevada on PredictIt (95c) than he does to win Michigan (93c), where basically all the votes have been counted and Biden leads by almost 3%.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15286 on: November 06, 2020, 11:33:51 PM »

Cry harder.

Honestly I think no matter who wins the GA runoffs we'll be ok. If Dems win them and get a "majority", then they'll be able to strait out pass their legislative agenda

If the GOP keeps the majority it'll be interesting to see how they behave. I think it's a real opportunity for both parties to be forced to find common ground with 2022 looming around the corner.

It's naive to expect anything different from how they've behaved already. Have you already forgotten their Party of No mentality and the fact that they withheld having a debate on the supreme court nomination under Obama?
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15287 on: November 06, 2020, 11:36:15 PM »

It seems fairly ridiculous to me that some networks have called Arizona but not Nevada or Pennsylvania.  I think Arizona is the least certain of the three by far.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15288 on: November 06, 2020, 11:37:05 PM »

It’s curious that Biden now has a better price to win Nevada on PredictIt (95c) than he does to win Michigan (93c), where basically all the votes have been counted and Biden leads by almost 3%.

Probably delusional MAGA chuds who believe the Trump campaign's propaganda about their court challenges in Michigan.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15289 on: November 06, 2020, 11:37:50 PM »

It seems fairly ridiculous to me that some networks have called Arizona but not Nevada or Pennsylvania.  I think Arizona is the least certain of the three by far.

Nobody wants to call it because then they'd have to call PA, and nobody wants to end their "will it or won't it" ratings grab
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15290 on: November 06, 2020, 11:37:53 PM »

It seems fairly ridiculous to me that some networks have called Arizona but not Nevada or Pennsylvania.  I think Arizona is the least certain of the three by far.

The ones who have called it though are the ones with the most detailed data. I just have to trust that data knows what they're talking about, and to them, the precinct data shows essentially no realistic path for Trump to win.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15291 on: November 06, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »

Fwiw, exit polling (wonky, I know) shows that 60% of Biden votes were for Biden rather than against Trump.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15292 on: November 06, 2020, 11:39:45 PM »

Talk about kicking a guy in the balls when he's down.

Man, COVID gives no f***s. No F***s at all.

Karma continues to rage through the White House. Nobody in the Trump administration is safe.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15293 on: November 06, 2020, 11:41:56 PM »

The ones who have called it though are the ones with the most detailed data. I just have to trust that data knows what they're talking about, and to them, the precinct data shows essentially no realistic path for Trump to win.

Do they not have such data for Nevada or Pennsylvania?  I mean it's pretty obvious Biden's going to win those two states even without precinct data.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15294 on: November 06, 2020, 11:43:49 PM »

Ian Miles Cheong having a normal one

I sometimes wonder if that guy is Glorious Hong Kong/New Bremerton on NationStates. Probably not, but you never know.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #15295 on: November 06, 2020, 11:44:30 PM »

So this election will have the highest turnout since 1896.

You know, when a populist appealed strongly to the rural WWC and drove up their turnout, only to lose by 4.5 points anyway to a pretty likable mainstream candidate because “elites” in the midwest and Northeast opposed him even more strongly for the same reasons he fired up his supporters.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #15296 on: November 06, 2020, 11:47:23 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15297 on: November 06, 2020, 11:47:35 PM »

Ian Miles Cheong having a normal one

Funny how it's okay for Republicans to use their political position and tax money for personal gain but Democrats literally aren't allowed to have their own personal political views once they enter office
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15298 on: November 06, 2020, 11:49:48 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2020, 11:54:03 PM by brucejoel99 »

So this election will have the highest turnout since 1896.

You know, when a populist appealed strongly to the rural WWC and drove up their turnout, only to lose by 4.5 points anyway to a pretty likable mainstream candidate because “elites” in the midwest and Northeast opposed him even more strongly for the same reasons he fired up his supporters.

Please stop jinxing - per this approximate timeline - a ~2025 event that your description might jinx.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #15299 on: November 06, 2020, 11:55:30 PM »

my dad said he is literally bedwetting over the provisionals in PA lol

f#ckin listening to the literal nobody talk heads and Rick Santorum on CNN too much
Pages: 1 ... 607 608 609 610 611 [612] 613 614 615 616 617 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies