2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:29:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 818
Author Topic: 2020 Presidential Election Results & Exit Polls commentary thread  (Read 625009 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5725 on: November 04, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »

Can we talk about New Jersey for a second? A nearly *10%* shift since 2016. Biden +23 right now. Wow.

The whole Revolt of the suburbs thing may not have been false, at least in the Northeast

Seems to have been pretty real pretty much everywhere. That’s why Biden can win Georgia.

And yet he’s struggling to win states that Trump barely won last time?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5726 on: November 04, 2020, 07:45:18 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2020, 07:48:28 AM by #proudtikitorchmarcher »

Can we talk about New Jersey for a second? A nearly *10%* shift since 2016. Biden +23 right now. Wow.

No because it would be as stupid as talking about New York shifting 10 points to the right, we don't have enough >90% in counties.  I did mention Nassau at 88% in  being Trump +2 which was interesting but I would still like to wait.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5727 on: November 04, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »

If this goes on for days, as it’s looking to, expect the Supreme Court to be involved eventually.

Trump isn’t going to make this easy.  Even if it looks like we’re there, Trump will challenge it and the Supreme Court may decide in his favor.

My thoughts as well.

Biden needed a court proof victory, in other words he had to lock up FL or NC early on. That hasn't happened so Trump has a path until the EC votes.

Ah so this is the next stage of doomerism then.

Trump using the courts to win has been my position all along.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5728 on: November 04, 2020, 07:45:35 AM »

Turnout (absolute numbers) breaks 140 million, more than in any other US election.

Biden becomes the candidate with the highest number of raw votes, surpassing Obama 2008.

Just shy of 70 million.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5729 on: November 04, 2020, 07:46:45 AM »

Quick question since I'm just now getting back online - anyone know the story with the NYT needle saying Biden is favored in Georgia? Is that legit or is there some weird data oddity somewhere?
It's legit, but it is realistically a pure tossup now. I'm certainly not counting on it. Hedging my bets on the AZ/NV/WI/MI route now!

Man, if Biden wins AZ, NV, WI, MI, PA, and GA, my prediction would only be one state off (NC), even though I got almost everything else completely wrong about the election. Surprise
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5730 on: November 04, 2020, 07:47:23 AM »

The whole Revolt of the suburbs thing may not have been false, at least in the Northeast

Seems to have been pretty real pretty much everywhere. That’s why Biden can win Georgia.

Suburban shifts are there too, it’s just that Trump also got a slight rural shift in some places plus some gains with minorities (especially Latinos). Suburban shifts seem to be outweighing that though.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5731 on: November 04, 2020, 07:47:46 AM »

Where is Lurker? Is he... safe? Is he... all right?

Shut up, you hack. The Senate is gone and you're still trying to run victory laps. Celebrate the tiny, narrow victory of Mr. Electable all you want, but this was not a successful night by any stretch of the imagination for the Democratic Party.

Oh are you his alt? Not surprising.

The Senate was never as safe a bet as the presidency either BTW and for reasons already explained, was not as important. You can cry about the Senate if you want. I’m gonna be happy the worst president in history will be ejected, likely by ironically the same EV margin he won by in 2016. (Not that narrow, especially since Biden will actually win the popular vote by a decent margin). I’m also gonna make fun of people for calling me things like “hack” when they got all smug and insufferable earlier about their terrible predictions that are now falling apart.

You mean like you thought it would either be 1980 or 1932?

You mean like Elliot county could go D

Kenton/Campbell do go D, and Franklin will easily go D?

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5732 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:01 AM »

Biden actually has to get a lead in MI, ya know.  So far he hasn’t.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5733 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:10 AM »

If this goes on for days, as it’s looking to, expect the Supreme Court to be involved eventually.

Trump isn’t going to make this easy.  Even if it looks like we’re there, Trump will challenge it and the Supreme Court may decide in his favor.

My thoughts as well.

Biden needed a court proof victory, in other words he had to lock up FL or NC early on. That hasn't happened so Trump has a path until the EC votes.

But nobody's explained just how the hell that would happen. Especially after recent SCOTUS rulings very strongly suggesting otherwise.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5734 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:25 AM »

Quick question since I'm just now getting back online - anyone know the story with the NYT needle saying Biden is favored in Georgia? Is that legit or is there some weird data oddity somewhere?
It's legit, but it is realistically a pure tossup now. I'm certainly not counting on it. Hedging my bets on the AZ/NV/WI/MI route now!

Man, if Biden wins AZ, NV, WI, MI, PA, and GA, my prediction would only be one state off (NC), even though I got almost everything else completely wrong about the election. Surprise

Me too.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5735 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:47 AM »

He's only 2k off at the moment.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5736 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:52 AM »

Suburban shifts are there too, it’s just that Trump also got a slight rural shift in some places plus some gains with minorities (especially Latinos). Suburban shifts seem to be outweighing that though.

Really? Ohio and Iowa barely budged.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5737 on: November 04, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »

How about those of you sniping at each other give it a rest for the day?  Emotions are high and I'm sure most of us are tired.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #5738 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:25 AM »

A victory in GA, even only by a hair, would basically put an end to all the speculation about Trump bringing the result to the SCOTUS. I’m genuinely disappointed that Biden couldn’t muster a narrow win in NC as well.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5739 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:29 AM »

Really? Ohio and Iowa barely budged.

We saw suburban shifts there too, in places like Delaware County. Just seems to have largely been canceled out.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #5740 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:44 AM »

My thoughts as well.

Yeah, I have noticed that. While I generally share your concern, it is really hard to see what Trump's case here is. He would usually have to rely on actually leading the EC race when attempting to stop the count, but shortly he will probably be behind in the EC race (Michigan still needs to turn), at which point "stopping the count" really makes no sense for him. I'm sure they will try to invalidate mail-in-ballots through other means though, so yeah, it ain't over till it's over.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5741 on: November 04, 2020, 07:49:46 AM »

No because it would be as stupid as talking about New York shifting 10 points to the right, we don't have enough >90% in counties.

Yup.  NYT has Biden up in Monmouth County by about eleven points.  Biden is not winning Monmouth County.  
philly09

« Reply #5742 on: November 04, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »

He's only 2k off at the moment.

Pretty sure DDHQ is behind. Trump had 2.409m with Biden at nearly 2.380m
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5743 on: November 04, 2020, 07:50:09 AM »

My thoughts as well.

But nobody's explained just how the hell that would happen. Especially after recent SCOTUS rulings very strongly suggesting otherwise.

I have no idea how he’d do it.

But I do know he has a team of lawyers already cooking up something.  If you don’t know this too, you haven’t been paying attention the last four years.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5744 on: November 04, 2020, 07:50:22 AM »

The Wisconsin Democrat party deserves a lot of credit.

They've worked their asses off since 2016, won important state wide races & hopefully have done just enough to save this.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5745 on: November 04, 2020, 07:50:36 AM »

How about those of you sniping at each other give it a rest for the day?  Emotions are high and I'm sure most of us are tired.

Just let the memes soothe you.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5746 on: November 04, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »

This is ten, eleven hours old.  GA is Biden 64% at the present.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #5747 on: November 04, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »

Those are old. They have Biden ever so slightly favoured in GA now.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #5748 on: November 04, 2020, 07:52:01 AM »

Those are old. They have Biden ever so slightly favoured in GA now.

Deleted, sorry.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5749 on: November 04, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »

I dumped 50€ on Trump ending up with between 240-269 EV on a betting site.

For a reward of 450€.

Hopefully Biden does NOT win GA !

Biden winning back the Blue Wall is just fine.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 228 229 [230] 231 232 233 234 235 ... 818  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies