Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 05:51:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 97
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 108753 times)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: June 30, 2021, 09:32:02 AM »

Got my first jab today, had to wait ages for an appointment as the nearest centre was 5 miles away despite me living less than a kilometre from a hospital. Was a lot quicker than I had imagined.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #701 on: June 30, 2021, 09:47:10 AM »

Well covid punched me in the face yesterday. This morning, so far, not as bad.

We all hope you are well, Andrew.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #702 on: June 30, 2021, 09:58:25 PM »

Today/tonight the university registration portal has been down for scheduled maintenance. 

Which is an ... interesting choice .. since it's also the last day of add/drop for 2nd half-term summer courses.  Squinting
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #703 on: July 02, 2021, 08:37:08 AM »

There is still some bureaucratic stuff to do, but as of today, I can finally say I am a college educated #elitist Cheesy

The urge to look down upon non-college educated working class plebs is irresistable right now Tongue

But seriously I am so happy I am finally done with my degree. I was quite burnt out at the end and this month has been in a weird sort of limbo.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #704 on: July 02, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »

There is still some bureaucratic stuff to do, but as of today, I can finally say I am a college educated #elitist Cheesy

The urge to look down upon non-college educated working class plebs is irresistable right now Tongue

But seriously I am so happy I am finally done with my degree. I was quite burnt out at the end and this month has been in a weird sort of limbo.

I didn't go to university or whatever and left education at 18.  I therefore nominate myself to be looked down upon by you. Smiley

Congrats by the way.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #705 on: July 03, 2021, 04:23:58 AM »

Got my first jab before heading down to England.

Was served in a huge, emptied supermarket, in a struggling local town. Was impressed by the sheer scale of the place. A ton of planning had gone into the floor plan, from waiting stations to shielded booths. The staff, most of whom were clearly retirees, were excellent.

They were servicing a dozen at a time, and the place was running at full capacity. Never been so proud of NHS Fife, a service which already has a big mandate, trying to serve a number of isolated rural areas with long, crumbling roads and populations with poor health outcomes.

Most proud of my country I’ve been in a long time, comparable only to our moment on the international stage in the 2012 Olympics.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #706 on: July 06, 2021, 12:14:40 PM »

Tested negative for Covid. Which means I'm recovering.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #707 on: July 06, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »

things aren't alright
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #708 on: July 06, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »

Well, a couple days ago I received the bad news that my cousin tested positive for Covid Sad

Interestingly, because of my group of acquaintances being rather small, this marks only the third person to catch Covid that I know of; after 2 friends of mine caught it last summer.

Hoping he recovers well and that no one else in my family catches it. He is young (younger than myself in fact) and in quite good physical shape (he is a basketball player); so he should get through it fairly easily and so should my uncle, aunt and my other cousin should they catch it but still you never know.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #709 on: July 06, 2021, 09:41:51 PM »

Sad ?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #710 on: July 07, 2021, 09:28:04 PM »

just depression i guess, hope seems to have left.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #711 on: July 09, 2021, 03:33:11 AM »

Sometimes I get depressed thinking about being racist...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #712 on: July 09, 2021, 02:06:38 PM »

Just finished writing my first real legal document. Hopefully I can get a special someone out on bond soon.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #713 on: July 09, 2021, 03:59:09 PM »

I didn't go to university or whatever and left education at 18.  I therefore nominate myself to be looked down upon by you. Smiley

Congrats by the way.

You didn't miss much.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #714 on: July 10, 2021, 02:14:43 AM »

Congrats by the way.

You didn't miss much.

I know.  I don't like to brag (I'm English) but I've done very well out of going straight into work rather than continuing education.

But if Tack50 wants to look down on me that's fine.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #715 on: July 11, 2021, 01:23:20 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2021, 01:29:38 PM by tack50 »

I know.  I don't like to brag (I'm English) but I've done very well out of going straight into work rather than continuing education.

Needless to say that was sarcasm Tongue

I am actually of the opinion that university is not for everyone and there should be strong alternatives to university that are viewed as equally valid to university; with stuff like apprenticeships being promoted more and what not.

Sadly Spain's year 10 degree (ESO) is too basic for it to be worth all that much and the year 12 one (Bachillerato) is extremely focused towards you continuing your education with at least an apprenticeship so it also doesn't improve your job opportunities much (in fact you are much better off after year 10 pursuing a "standard level apprenticeship" instead of years 11-12 if you know you won't go to university for sure). Unemployment being at 16% also does not help at all.

Though the only person I know that didn't continue their education after HS is also doing quite well for themselves interestingly (went from retail clerk to now store manager I believe)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #716 on: July 11, 2021, 04:36:56 PM »

Needless to say that was sarcasm Tongue

I am actually of the opinion that university is not for everyone and there should be strong alternatives to university that are viewed as equally valid to university; with stuff like apprenticeships being promoted more and what not.

Sadly Spain's year 10 degree (ESO) is too basic for it to be worth all that much and the year 12 one (Bachillerato) is extremely focused towards you continuing your education with at least an apprenticeship so it also doesn't improve your job opportunities much (in fact you are much better off after year 10 pursuing a "standard level apprenticeship" instead of years 11-12 if you know you won't go to university for sure). Unemployment being at 16% also does not help at all.

Though the only person I know that didn't continue their education after HS is also doing quite well for themselves interestingly (went from retail clerk to now store manager I believe)

Absolutely agree.  And going straight into work from high school isn't ideal for everyone either.
The thought of our favourite Canarian looking down on me is amusing though. Smiley
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #717 on: July 11, 2021, 06:05:44 PM »

Today I received my first dose of vaccine against COVID!
It was also a double day of sport, with two finals of important tournaments in London where Italians competed. Matteo Berrettini lost the men's single at Wimbledon in the afternoon, disappointingly but unsurprisingly; but this was more than compensated by the Italian team winning the European Cup of football at Wembley - playing against the home team of England even - tonight. What a gleeful day!
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #718 on: July 12, 2021, 10:43:40 PM »

My dad became a naturalized citizen of the US today (19 years after immigration)!
This is his third nationality (Pakistan, Canada, and now the US).
My mom will join in a few weeks too.

Image Link
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #719 on: July 13, 2021, 02:15:12 AM »

I'm currently working a generic warehouse job where my production quota seems out of reach because I'm not physically fast enough. There's no real advancement if I put in the effort, it's just manual labor and if I get promoted I would still be working in a warehouse. It's nicer than other warehouses I've heard about which prevents me from quitting but they could lay me off.  I need to break into a professional job. So many people here have jobs where they travel all over the place. I'm older than the median age of the forum so I need to get going.

I must be better. Better at making money. Better at providing myself new positive expirences. Better at socializing with annoying other people for my own gain instead of treating every single other person as just as or more important than me (this does not mean treating my buddies as pawns, don't worry). Better as doing and accomplishing something, even if it's something as stupid as posting a bunch of fantasy political maps and perfectly summarizing the generally useless information I'm tying to get across for maximum readability. I should mention not only do I have all maps done for that thread but I have apportioned and created maps for all senatorial and gubernatorial races that can be made on DRA. All of them. Hundreds of maps. I don't like playing video games anymore I just spent all my damn time creating those maps for fun. I really do belong here. Better at being organized in what I say and what I write as the last part about DRA maps lasted too long for this section, in which new subsections begin with "better at".

Maybe if I had suffered enough, in terms of being deprived of money or feeling the crunch of serious deadlines, I would be harder working and that would be the secret of success. But I doubt it. Most corporate gangster lawyers were much wealthier and more privileged than me growing up. Most weren't on the autism spectrum and were better at socializing which is the true secret of all success. The problem is I care too much about my comfort and well being to put my nose to the grindstone. An important factor in their lives is that they prepared for college, whereas I had no idea what was going on. I just know that I needed to prove myself and I sure did prove myself to not be good enough at the time.

My mother suggested I apply at a steel mill in town clearly desperate for workers. As if I would have the stamina to work there when I can't even manage the production quota for a basic warehouse worker, and I'm sure they are desperate because they are choosy beggars who don't want to pay anything. I'm not a steelworker and I'm not athletic. I'm clumsy and not the best with tools. It's reflects poorly on myself and also my confidence and work ethic that most of my work history is manual labor. Someone like me would be better at data entry or number crunching or something at an office, but I don't even know what office work actually is.

There are two types of jobs: those I'm underqualified for, and those that I don't consider good enough for me long term. I'm not going to reject the latter because that would be morally wrong considering current circumstances but I'm not going to actually advance in life with them.

My goal, or rather my idea for my goal that I present to other people occasionally to make sure they think that I'm moving forward, is to go back to college to get a bachelor's degree in some field related to global climate change. That's the one issue I seriously care about. This is overly broad and I'd rather have more money than less money or more debt. Will I follow through with this? Probably not at this rate. Would any actual university accept me, a flunkee who messed around community college for years before finally earning a generic AS? I still don't know what I'm doing anyway.

Yesterday I did make a "final decision" on something: although my last meal there was decent enough, I'm never going back to Taco Bell ever again. Great. Much willpower, so resolve. I'm still going to splurge on fast food whenever I wants and I'm probably not stopping.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #720 on: July 13, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2021, 11:46:28 PM by L.D. Smith »

Currently road tripping, trying to end the day in Utah, but currently in  Nevada.

Off by 80 miles, alas.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #721 on: July 14, 2021, 12:14:43 PM »

I just decided to actually do something politically, and sent emails to the offices of Mfume, Cardin, and Van Hollen asking them to cosponsor the Judiciary Act of 2021.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #722 on: July 14, 2021, 02:33:30 PM »

Just booked a day tour on a fast boat to the small Greek island Symi, which is less than ten miles before the Turkish coast in the Aegan Sea and known for historic archietcture and a beautiful coastline. We'll start off (and return) from the main island of Rhodes, where we'll be staying for eight days, starting next Tuesday. After spending summer 2020 at home, we'll finally spend vacaction in Greece.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #723 on: July 16, 2021, 12:13:31 AM »

Is it an inappropriate interview question to ask a bank if they provide Patagonias?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #724 on: July 16, 2021, 12:14:44 AM »

Is it an inappropriate interview question to ask a bank if they provide Patagonias?

Probably.

In other news, I'm in Kansas.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies