Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:54:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 95
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VIII: He who laughs have the last laugh  (Read 102074 times)
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: April 23, 2021, 12:07:10 PM »

The pandemic has meant that people around here are riding their horses way more often.  Every day I have to slow down at least 4 times for girls on horses.  It's nice and everything, however the streets are perennially littered in Equine Fecal Substance now.

Hitting that stuff at 60 mph was interesting...
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #576 on: April 23, 2021, 12:52:19 PM »

I know I was joking when I posted

in the "Do you want to have children in the future?" thread, but... uh... 😳
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #577 on: April 24, 2021, 03:25:30 PM »

Today is the anniversary of the first death among my great-grandparents [thirty years since he shot himself] and as I only realized some hours ago, it is also the anniversary of the death of my last great-grandparent [she died of natural causes seven years ago]. I find this coincidence... remarkable.
All of my grandparents are alive so the closest people to me to have died are my great-grandparents (or at least the two of them I was able to properly get to know in my life).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #578 on: April 24, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »

I think at any given time I have at least 2 or more website/programming projects going, but only in a theoretical sense. That is, I always "want" to work on it and get things done, and I rarely ever can seem to find the motivation to do it. I think I've been saying to myself that I'll work on the map generator on my day off for the past 2 months, and I never end up doing it. I try and remind myself several times a day and always find something else to do. At best I will get these extreme bursts of motivation once in a while that last for a month or two and then fade away for twice as long. They usually only come about when I find a novel project that interests me.

The reason I'm rambling about it is because for a while I've been pondering whether this is me trying to tell myself that I simply don't like doing that stuff and haven't for a long time, or whether I'm just chronically de-motivated outside of work. Part of me wonders that if I don't actually like any of it, why would I constantly be trying to get myself to work on it? I'm not lazy, I end up doing other things (productive or not), but what is it about programming that is so difficult to engage in? My best guess is that I like the idea of it but it feels too much like unsatisfying work and so I just avoid it like I would other things I find to be unimportant even if somewhat necessary.

I'd probably have already re-joined the industry and would be making a lot more money right now if I had an answer to this question. As it stands now, I feel like I would deeply resent the job after a year or two.

I'm not a programmer yet, but the idea of thinking of grand concepts that you then lack the energy or follow-through to complete is one I'm deeply sympathetic to. Tongue

I'd actually been wondering recently if you ever broke into the IT field professionally, given all the wonderful work you do around here.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #579 on: April 24, 2021, 10:38:22 PM »

I'd actually been wondering recently if you ever broke into the IT field professionally, given all the wonderful work you do around here.

There was a stint out of college. I didn't like it, felt out of place, enough that I said a high starting salary wasn't worth it. I didn't end up continuing.

I feel like I'd do pretty well if I did go back. My work was always given good reviews, but I don't think I'd be happy doing it. I don't even know how I would get my foot back in the door anyway. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #580 on: April 24, 2021, 10:43:21 PM »

There was a stint out of college. I didn't like it, felt out of place, enough that I said a high starting salary wasn't worth it. I didn't end up continuing.

I feel like I'd do pretty well if I did go back. My work was always given good reviews, but I don't think I'd be happy doing it. I don't even know how I would get my foot back in the door anyway. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Way she go, eh? I hope you've found your calling.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #581 on: April 24, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »

I feel like I'd do pretty well if I did go back. My work was always given good reviews, but I don't think I'd be happy doing it. I don't even know how I would get my foot back in the door anyway. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Way she go, eh? I hope you've found your calling.
Same.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #582 on: April 24, 2021, 11:10:43 PM »

Certified Atlas Moment: the school is offering to give me academic credit for drawing congressional districts.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #583 on: April 24, 2021, 11:23:57 PM »

Certified Atlas Moment: the school is offering to give me academic credit for drawing congressional districts.

Jealous!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #584 on: April 25, 2021, 03:35:10 AM »

I deserve an MFA in drama.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #585 on: April 25, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »

you know as much as i try not to i still desire happiness.

i hate myself for being so weak.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #586 on: April 25, 2021, 02:52:56 PM »

My alma mater still refuses to recognize my substantial work as an alternate historian.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #587 on: April 27, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »

So ummm my older brother shipped out to join the Indiana National Guard literally today and NO ONE TOLD ME ANYTHING ABOUT THIS

Surprise military deployments are always fun
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #588 on: April 27, 2021, 06:56:36 PM »

Learned today: babies are generally fans of live acoustic guitar music, and especially love The Shins.
JoeInator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -4.00

« Reply #589 on: May 01, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »

So today is my 18th birthday and I gotta say it feels pretty good to be an adult now.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #590 on: May 01, 2021, 02:29:54 PM »

So today is my 18th birthday and I gotta say it feels pretty good to be an adult now.

Congrats! It's all down hill from here Curly
JoeInator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -4.00

« Reply #591 on: May 01, 2021, 08:15:58 PM »

Congrats! It's all down hill from here Curly

Thank you! I'll keep your words in mind!
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #592 on: May 01, 2021, 09:03:38 PM »

i need to calm down
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #593 on: May 02, 2021, 09:00:14 AM »

Arrived safe and sound in Berlin with no issues, my apartment is a cool altbau from the 1910s with ceilings twice as high as me, picked up my new computer from work, doing lots of admin and legal compliance work before Onboarding Week, got some nice secondhand furniture from Facebook resale groups that was in excellent condition for cheap, joined SPD Neukölln, had three döner kebabs and a currywurst in three days, and beer is only a Euro per bottle?

God bless this fantastic country.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #594 on: May 02, 2021, 09:36:15 AM »

Arrived safe and sound in Berlin with no issues, my apartment is a cool altbau from the 1910s with ceilings twice as high as me, picked up my new computer from work, doing lots of admin and legal compliance work before Onboarding Week, got some nice secondhand furniture from Facebook resale groups that was in excellent condition for cheap, joined SPD Neukölln, had three döner kebabs and a currywurst in three days, and beer is only a Euro per bottle?

While I can't condone joining the SDP, congrats all around!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #595 on: May 03, 2021, 07:33:42 AM »

I lived off them when I was in Berlin; they're honestly one of the nicest things I've eaten.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #596 on: May 03, 2021, 05:42:50 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2021, 05:48:08 PM by Santander »

Every few months, I'll throw some resumes out to get a feel for the market. Just smashed my record for the fastest ever time to get an interview - 20 minutes, and they asked if I could do it tonight. If only it were always so easy!

(it's still rather unlikely I'll take it, I am looking for a biweekly commuting contract, which will probably be impossible to get post-COVID)
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #597 on: May 03, 2021, 06:22:48 PM »

guess who just bombed their calc final?

tbf to myself this teacher sucks balls
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #598 on: May 04, 2021, 11:34:49 PM »

i feel like im living in a nightmare and have absolutely no idea why.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #599 on: May 05, 2021, 12:42:47 AM »

Had my first physical in 13 years, everything came back normal aside from cholesterol (both total and bad were borderline, good was high which the doctor said can help mitigate the bad)

EKG was normal so a lot of the chest discomfort recently was more likely stress-related as well as something going on with my ribs (intense stabbing pain in various places with certain upper body motions and tenderness when pressure applied)

Blood pressure finally under control, had an anxiety/panic attack while there (just the 13 years of unknown finally overflowing having to face it) and bp was only 130/84 (it's usually MUCH higher in this sort of situation)

Unfortunately most of the things that I have wrong are largely untreatable pain issues--arch trouble, plantar fasciitis, IBS with accompanying lower back pain, and the ribs (which appears to be costochondritis)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 95  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies