Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:08:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 144898 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: December 04, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »

speaking of stealing the election.  There were a lot of late ballots because of DeJoy.  Biden won anyways but there were a lot of House seats that Dems appear to have lost by a few hundred votes or less.  this real "stealing the election" plan needs to be investigated to see if it changed any seats.  that's the real fraud, yet Dems aren't even ranting about it at 1/100th the decibel that Trump is ranting about nonexistent fraud.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1301 on: December 04, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »

Since these were posted Trump also lost another Wisconsin case and a "kraken" appeal in Georgia was dismissed as well.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1302 on: December 04, 2020, 06:39:01 PM »

Normally I don't like linking CNN, but noteworthy for the thread.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/politics/trump-nominee-pentagon-martial-law/index.html

President Donald Trump's nominee to become a senior Pentagon official spread debunked conspiracies on Twitter that called Trump's election loss to Joe Biden a "coup" attempt and shared tweets that suggest Trump should declare martial law.

sguberman
United States

« Reply #1303 on: December 04, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »

And he just lost an Arizona case as well.
https://www.democracydocket.com/cases/arizona-election-contest/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1304 on: December 04, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1305 on: December 04, 2020, 07:33:03 PM »

This is an excellent statement by the Speaker, and I encourage everyone to read it.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1306 on: December 04, 2020, 07:50:58 PM »

Kellyanne and Parscale acknowledge Biden's victory:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/12/04/two-former-trump-campaign-managers-say-the-president-lost-the-election/?sh=611f5d765c6d

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1307 on: December 04, 2020, 08:08:34 PM »

I know I’ve said this before, but you really can’t make this sh*t up.

She said, "some people think all Latins look alike (gesturing toward herself with her hands). I think all Chinese look alike."

Some people think all blacks vote alike (or if they don't that they aren't black).

This context doesn't make her seem less racist.
When I voted, the election clerk was black. She had me pull my mask down so she could check my photo ID. That was not racist on her part.

I overheard a conversation between two women, either Chinese or Vietnamese. They apparently had known each together in high school, but had gone their separate ways in college and after, but were having a reunion of sorts. They seemed to be discussing their families, and they were discussing in-laws of a sibling. "Wasn't she married to an X?", "You have a good memory. Filipino, actually, but they all look alike." (shared giggle).

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1308 on: December 05, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »

I'm sure Arizona and Wisconsin will immediately reverse their verifications if there's a signature match in Georgia, lol.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1309 on: December 05, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1310 on: December 05, 2020, 03:29:18 PM »

Trump pressured Georgia governor in call to help overturn Biden's win in state

President Donald Trump on Saturday called Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, pushing him to convince state legislators to overturn President-elect Joe Biden's win in the state.

Trump asked Kemp to call a special session and convince state legislators to select their own electors that would support him, according to a source familiar with the conversation. He also asked the Republican governor to order an audit of absentee ballot signatures.

Kemp explained that he did not have this authority and denied the request, the source said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/05/politics/trump-georgia-brian-kemp-phone-call/index.html
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1311 on: December 05, 2020, 03:30:29 PM »

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1312 on: December 05, 2020, 03:33:43 PM »

President Donald Trump on Saturday called Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, pushing him to convince state legislators to overturn President-elect Joe Biden's win in the state.

Trump asked Kemp to call a special session and convince state legislators to select their own electors that would support him, according to a source familiar with the conversation. He also asked the Republican governor to order an audit of absentee ballot signatures.

Kemp explained that he did not have this authority and denied the request, the source said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/05/politics/trump-georgia-brian-kemp-phone-call/index.html

Very illegal, but as with everything else, Trump will most likely face no consequences even once out of office.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1313 on: December 05, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »

Very illegal, but as with everything else, Trump will most likely face no consequences even once out of office.

At this point, the latter part is the scariest part of this whole corrosive affair. You're almost certainly right that he'll face no legal consequences for his behavior from November through January. (He's in legal jeopardy from other things he's done, but that's not the same.) And that is a terribly destructive precedent to set.

Trump's time in the political limelight has often made me think of the slow fall of Republican Rome, and I'm not alone. What Trump is doing now echoes what Sulla did to the Republican - breaking norms. While Sulla was competent and succeeded, and Trump is incompetent and appears to be failing, what they share is that both destroyed traditions that protected their respective (imperfect) representative governments and got away with it. It took about a generation to go from Sulla's first match on Rome (88 BC) to Caesar crossing the Rubicon (49 BC) and beginning the end of the Roman Republic. 

Once we have the precedent that there are no consequences for ignoring the Constitution (already done), ignoring the law (already done) and trying to seize power (currently in process), then it's just a matter of time until with have a dictatorship. While I hope that the incoming Biden Administration can somehow bring Trump and his many enablers to justice, I'm skeptical that they will. And the cost of failing to do so will be the end of our Republic, probably well within my lifetime.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1314 on: December 05, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »

Hopefully, like most mob bosses he's prosecuted on tax crimes in NY.

But his lawyers really need to start facing sanctions for pursuing these frivolous cases IMO.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1315 on: December 05, 2020, 10:38:26 PM »

I know I’ve said this before, but you really can’t make this sh*t up.

She said, "some people think all Latins look alike (gesturing toward herself with her hands). I think all Chinese look alike."

Some people think all blacks vote alike (or if they don't that they aren't black).

This context doesn't make her seem less racist.
When I voted, the election clerk was black. She had me pull my mask down so she could check my photo ID. That was not racist on her part.

I overheard a conversation between two women, either Chinese or Vietnamese. They apparently had known each together in high school, but had gone their separate ways in college and after, but were having a reunion of sorts. They seemed to be discussing their families, and they were discussing in-laws of a sibling. "Wasn't she married to an X?", "You have a good memory. Filipino, actually, but they all look alike." (shared giggle).

I had a co-worker who was Korean-American. He was incredibly racist against both Japanese and Chinese Americans (he was also surprisingly anti-semetic). So... again, still racist.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1316 on: December 05, 2020, 10:56:14 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2020, 10:59:46 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Trump is the real RINO.

For 166 years, the Republican Party has stood for the principles of our republican constitution and protecting such from threats both internal and domestic. He has insisted that everything, every principle, every value, every law be placed into secondary consideration to his erratic whims. This is not constitutionalism, this is not conservatism and sure is hell isn't Republicanism. This is arbitrary rule, plain and simple.

What we have is 25 true Republicans, and unknown split of cowards who are too afraid to admit either their Republicanism or their sycophantism and two avowed sycophants.

If Republicans across the board publicly voiced their concerns and criticisms with the aggression and passion of Trump, yes Trump would still have a powerful base but he would not have the influence he has today and the ability to dominate this party the way he has to this point. Just like with the mask issue, this is entirely the result of lack of voices from the top. If people were to challenge for the space, his influence would decline proportionally.

Right now this cowardice enables the small number of critics to be singled out as RINOs.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1317 on: December 05, 2020, 11:18:47 PM »

the 25 will steadily grow.  they can only keep up this act so long. 
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1318 on: December 05, 2020, 11:53:44 PM »

GA specials will be a big demarcation line. After that, there is nothing left to lose until 2022. Once people starting that road though, they have to go all the way. New York meets the Chicago Way. He pulls a knife....

Kemp's only chance at survival now is to destroy Trump. Ducey and DeWine are probably there too.

Trump has made his Robespierre speech promising more executions and he has even named some of the intended victims. The rest have to know he can turn on them they way he did with Kemp. There is no reason to hold back at that point, so go nuclear.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1319 on: December 06, 2020, 12:23:03 AM »

GA specials will be a big demarcation line. After that, there is nothing left to lose until 2022. Once people starting that road though, they have to go all the way. New York meets the Chicago Way. He pulls a knife....

Kemp's only chance at survival now is to destroy Trump. Ducey and DeWine are probably there too.

Trump has made his Robespierre speech promising more executions and he has even named some of the intended victims. The rest have to know he can turn on them they way he did with Kemp. There is no reason to hold back at that point, so go nuclear.

I think you'll see a few more trickle in over the next few days, then a chunk come in right after the electoral college meets, then yeah after the Georgia runoffs another chunk. 
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1320 on: December 06, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1321 on: December 06, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »

Trump's feed has dozens of retweets this morning suggesting the election was stolen in GA/AZ/PA and that the legislatures need to appoint their own Trump electors.
compucomp

« Reply #1322 on: December 06, 2020, 01:07:15 PM »

Trump's feed has dozens of retweets this morning suggesting the election was stolen in GA/AZ/PA and that the legislatures need to appoint their own Trump electors.

I think the ship on the "state legislator coup" has sailed. Multiple R leaders of state houses (MI, PA, AZ at least) have disavowed the tactic, the D governors will not call special sessions, and Kemp refused to call one. Also the move would likely be struck down by the courts because the state election results were certified according to the states' election laws, so the state legislator coup would amount to changing the terms of the election after it is held, something that is almost always prohibited.

However, I am a bit concerned about the Electoral Count Act of 1887, not for this year, but in the hypothetical that Republicans had won both houses of Congress. Couldn't they reject all of Biden's electors? Then Trump would win the contingent House election by default because the EV would be 232-0. This would surely end up before the Supreme Court but they could plausibly uphold the move under the logic that Congress is responsible for certifying the Electoral College vote, they followed the law (the Electoral Count Act), and this is a political process so the Supreme Court won't intervene. Would Dems have any recourse at that point other than to secede from the USA or to organize an army and march on Washington?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1323 on: December 06, 2020, 01:15:15 PM »

If Congress throws out enough Biden electors to send it to the House I don't think there's any legal recourse. In theory it could happen this year too since they'll control the Senate vote (regardless of GA runoffs) when the counting happens. I think it's really unlikely though. The vote can't be filibrustered and there are at least a handful of Republican Senators that will vote to uphold. In fact, if a vote occurs it would  probably pass over 80% I think.
compucomp

« Reply #1324 on: December 06, 2020, 01:26:30 PM »

If Congress throws out enough Biden electors to send it to the House I don't think there's any legal recourse. In theory it could happen this year too since they'll control the Senate vote (regardless of GA runoffs) when the counting happens. I think it's really unlikely though. The vote can't be filibrustered and there are at least a handful of Republican Senators that will vote to uphold. In fact, if a vote occurs it would  probably pass over 80% I think.

They need both houses to agree to throw out electoral votes when there aren't multiple slates of electors from a state (which was the point of the state legislator coup). So it's a longshot this year hoping for a new interpretation of the Electoral Count Act by some court.

But now that all these plots have been brought into the open and "normalized", it might just be a matter of time before a Republican Congress rejects a Democratic president-elect using the Electoral Count Act, causing mass unrest and likely civil war.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies