Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:05:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 142774 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 11, 2020, 01:06:01 AM »

Pretty sure this won't hold up in court.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 01:43:57 AM »

Disgusting. Incredible that GOP voters are OK with this.

What's worse is I'm fairly certain he's doing exactly what most of them elected him to do--try and undermine democracy so their side has permanent power. Fortunately, or hopefully at least, he's proving too incompetent to succeed.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 05:25:43 PM »

Disgusting. Incredible that GOP voters are OK with this.

What's worse is I'm fairly certain he's doing exactly what most of them elected him to do--try and undermine democracy so their side has permanent power. Fortunately, or hopefully at least, he's proving too incompetent to succeed.

A 'very serious person' like Tom Cotton would be a competent Trump.

And the fact that he's likely to run for president eventually is genuinely terrifying.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:18:04 PM »

Ok, now I'm surprised there isn't much activity in here. There's like 3 threads on the first page that could easily be merged into here, 1 of which is almost as long as this thread

Most people more than likely said what they were going to on the matter in the other 50 threads. Kind of ironic this thread would get started afterwards.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 04:45:52 PM »

Too little too late. What are we going to get, a six month long investigation that'll confirm what we all know that arrives after Trump's second term starts?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »

The entire article seems like it's speculating, without evidence--"believed to be"--that it's Sanders. But of course The Hill is garbage and of course the usual suspects will foam at the mouth at any mention of Sanders name because MUH LEFTISTS and all.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 05:31:12 PM »

Pretty typical for Sanders and the other purists that their actions eventually lead to an outcome that benefits Republicans.

Yes, because privatizing the postal service (leaving nobody eligible to handle mail ballots) is a MUCH better option.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 04:52:55 PM »

For those who may be a little shaky on what this means:

What's to stop them from doing the same thing two weeks or so before the election?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 07:34:39 PM »

Whoever uses these maps should be blacklisted from ever working in data or media.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 09:34:22 PM »

Dems obsession with preventing people who aren't voting for them from voting at all is going to make it harder for Dem voters to get their ballots in on time, possibly throwing the state to Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/politics/2020-election-pennsylvania-ballot-delay/index.html

The state's Democratic Party remains in court battling to keep the Green Party off the ballot. The pending legal dispute has led to a delay in certification of the November ballot, and as a result, all Pennsylvania county election officials who this year could have started offering absentee or mail-in ballots, as well as in-person early absentee voting, starting September 14 are in a holding pattern.

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 09:54:09 PM »

Dems obsession with preventing people who aren't voting for them from voting at all is going to make it harder for Dem voters to get their ballots in on time, possibly throwing the state to Trump.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/13/politics/2020-election-pennsylvania-ballot-delay/index.html

The state's Democratic Party remains in court battling to keep the Green Party off the ballot. The pending legal dispute has led to a delay in certification of the November ballot, and as a result, all Pennsylvania county election officials who this year could have started offering absentee or mail-in ballots, as well as in-person early absentee voting, starting September 14 are in a holding pattern.

This is a dumb statement. Challenging another party's qualification for the ballot in no way prevents a single voter from casting a ballot.

There's no voting at all until the lawsuit is settled, preventing early voting as well as mail voting--when voters need as much time as they can possibly get right now. Early voting was supposed to begin tomorrow along with sending out mail ballots.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 04:42:17 AM »

This comment is in such bad faith that I'm not even gonna continue trying to respond to it.

Is this because you support their indefensible and hypocritical decision to delay the start of mail voting while complaining about what Trump's doing to slow it down just because Muh Third Party Voters?

And it never stops being funny how people will go out of their way to respond to say that they aren't responding.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 07:00:31 PM »

Wasn't Georgia supposed to go all paper? What happened to that?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 03:21:05 PM »

Deplorable authoritarians.

And with that, Trump keeps Wisconsin.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 04:03:14 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2020, 04:19:49 PM by Hammy »

Deplorable authoritarians.

And with that, Trump keeps Wisconsin.

Exactly nothing has changed in Wisconsin. Wisconsin always counts votes up until the polls close and nothing received afterward.

You guys are shrieking for no reason. Biden's campaign will plan around what has been the norm for years.

This.  Simply maintaining the rule that was already on the books does nothing to help or hurt either campaign.  If they end up overturning the PA Supreme Court on mail voting, that would be a different story.  Simply leaving the status quo in place is not a conspiracy.

Leaving the status quo in place during a global pandemic and failing to make the needed changes is--especially when voting is under attack from the top down.

Not to mention:

n a terse six-page opinion, the majority did not even consider Wisconsinites’ constitutional rights, but simply deferred to Republican legislators, who are fighting tooth and nail to throw out mail-in ballots.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2020, 04:18:27 PM »

Based on early results I don't think the voter suppression is being very effective!

It's certainly not deterring people from voting, but we have yet to see if the mail ballots will actually count or not.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 12:10:33 AM »

What does that mean? Can this people vote in person of their mail ballot was rejected or did PA just lose 320k votes?
Most of these are duplicates so they'll get an absentee ballot anyway. This isn't really much of a story, it's Fox News sensationalized things to discredit mail voting.

Ironic as it completely refutes the claim that people are succeeding in using it to vote twice.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »

Take with a huge grain of salt, but 4chan claims to have discovered a exploit for the OR and WA mail balloting systems:

Looks like a call out for Trumpists to steal the election under the guise of "exposing flaws" because Dems don't need to change votes in order to win either of those states.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:16 PM »

what's going on here?

I'll be 100% honest here, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking PPE that's being handed out in open public by random activists because there is no guarantee it was properly sanitized or if it was possibly intentionally contaminated by people who want to look like they're trying to help.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2020, 03:31:24 AM »

Ca. 30 million mail ballots that were requested were not returned as of yesterday, the last day the Post said voters should return them to be counted.

Democrats have a 3 million lead among those unreturned ballots.

Looks like a lot of wasted votes if they come in on Wednesday in several states, such as WI.

Gotta wonder though, given Trump's open disruption of USPS, how many people gave up on mail vote after requesting their ballot (or simply decided it wasn't worth the risk) and voted in-person instead.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »

If Democrats get a trifecta elected at all.  No dancing around.  Pack the courts, pass a new voting rights act.  Make DC and PR states.  The time for playing around is over.  The GOP in its current form has proven to be unworthy of ever governing again.

Trump has confirmed every worst case fear that I had in 2016 (along with things I never even imagined) about how he'd treat voting rights and rule of law.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2020, 05:18:19 PM »

Nevada!?
I get Pennsylvania, that's the easiest choice, but why the f**k do Republicans think they stand a chance in Nevada? Its basically the Republican version of Iowa.

Republicans have had this bizarre obsession with the state as if it's still 2004, and this goes back to at least 2018 if not 2016.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 05:31:19 PM »

Pennsylvania continues to the the state that worries me the most, especially since mail votes aren't even counted until after election day.

If he succeeds, that's the state it'll be.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 06:04:40 PM »

Pennsylvania continues to the the state that worries me the most, especially since mail votes aren't even counted until after election day.

If he succeeds, that's the state it'll be.

Except a large part of PA (population wise) is starting to count mailed in ballots on the morning of election day (7:00 AM, I believe), will be providing updates as they process them, and will continue 24/7 until they finish (see the EV thread).

Thanks! I lowkey don't really think things will be that bad in PA. With the new machinery and counting diligence of Philadelphia and it's suburbs, I kind of expect the night to go like this:

Midnight: 50% of Mail-ins counted: Trump +6

5AM: 75% of Mail-ins Counted: Biden takes lead

10AM: 82% of Mail Votes have been counted, Biden is declared the winner, leading by 2%

By Friday: Biden officially wins the state by 5.

Do you think this is a realistic timetable?

I thought they didn't start counting them until three days after, when the deadline for postmarked ballots is--was I mistaken?

It's also possible that the SOS will hold back on releasing results until they have a sizable chunk (60%+) done.

Do you mean total or mail?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »

A president threatening to cancel or stop vote counting to stay in power and use his appointed court nominees as a tool to do so is not normal and should be treated with the seriousness it deserves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies