Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:26:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86]
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 142710 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2125 on: January 09, 2021, 06:00:04 PM »
« edited: January 09, 2021, 06:30:23 PM by Lincoln Republican »

What do you mean? He's President-elect. He's not President of the Senate anymore, that's Pence. Or do you mean is he there? I don't think so.
I mean with this canceled does Biden still get inaugurated or does trump win by default?

At 12 noon on January 20, 2021, Biden automatically becomes President of the United states whether he has been sworn in or not.

The swearing in of the new President is simply a formality.

As for the joint session of Congress to announce the Electoral College count for each candidate, this too is ceremonial.  The Electoral College had already spoken December 14, 2020.  Even if a mob takes control of the House chamber and does not verify the Electoral College count, but has the presiding officer, in this case Pence, over turns the count to Trump, this in no way replaces the Electoral College count of December 14 in favor of Biden.  Biden still becomes President of the United States on January 20, 2021.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2126 on: January 09, 2021, 06:09:11 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 06:17:02 PM by Reflexive anti-Hitler shill »

What do you mean? He's President-elect. He's not President of the Senate anymore, that's Pence. Or do you mean is he there? I don't think so.
I mean with this canceled does Biden still get inaugurated or does trump win by default?

At 12 noon on January 20, 2021, Biden automatically becomes President of the United states whether he has been sworn in or not.

As for the joint session of Congress to announce the Electoral College count for each candidate, this too is ceremonial.  The Electoral College had already spoken December 14, 2020.  Even if a mob takes control of the House chamber and does not verify the Electoral College count, but over turns the count to Trump, this in no way replaces the Electoral College count of December 14 in favor of Biden.  Biden still becomes President of the United States on January 20, 2021.

To be fair, Liam asked this before the count resumed, and I think in that context it's more of an open question since it's never been tested (and, thank God, won't be this time either). Even in the highest possible interpretation of the Congressional count requirement, though, Trump and Pence's terms still would have expired on January 20, and Pelosi would have ascended to the (Acting? She might have had to set that precedent herself the way John Tyler had to) Presidency. There's no such thing as an incumbent, even an incumbent who's eligible for another term and has actively run for one, winning by default in the American system of government. The mob would not have been able to count the votes for Trump because the Twelfth Amendment specifies the Vice President in the presence of Congress, not Jake Angeli in the presence of Rick Saccone.

But, yes, at this point Biden indisputably becomes President at noon on January 20 unless he dies within the next eleven days, in which case Harris becomes Vice President on the twentieth and then President a picosecond later. (Presumably she'd be administered one oath and then immediately the other, like a medieval layman being appointed directly to a bishopric.)
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #2127 on: January 10, 2021, 04:35:11 AM »

It's not. The oath of office is needed to give Biden (and any President before and after him) the executive power he needs to do his job. Yes, at noon on the 20th he will become president, but only after taking the oath he can 'act' like one.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2128 on: January 13, 2021, 10:14:09 AM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2129 on: January 19, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2130 on: January 19, 2021, 02:02:33 PM »

LOL@all the stupid bedwetting and Doomerism in this thread. They look just as insane as QAnon people now.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2131 on: January 20, 2021, 03:42:50 PM »

One, hopefully final, damp squib:
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2132 on: January 20, 2021, 07:43:21 PM »

LOL@all the stupid bedwetting and Doomerism in this thread. They look just as insane as QAnon people now.

Really? He had a mob storm the Capitol and try to stage a coup. I think this is a worse scenario then just refusing to leave.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2133 on: January 20, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »

Really? He had a mob storm the Capitol and try to stage a coup. I think this is a worse scenario then just refusing to leave.

Said "coup" was quite pathetic and was never at any point even remotely close to succeeding.

That also has nothing to do with dooming about how the Supreme Court would flip the election to Trump or state legislatures would place slates of electors, etc.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2134 on: January 20, 2021, 07:46:51 PM »

As for the joint session of Congress to announce the Electoral College count for each candidate, this too is ceremonial.  The Electoral College had already spoken December 14, 2020.  Even if a mob takes control of the House chamber and does not verify the Electoral College count, but has the presiding officer, in this case Pence, over turns the count to Trump, this in no way replaces the Electoral College count of December 14 in favor of Biden.  Biden still becomes President of the United States on January 20, 2021.

I don't think so. I mean this would end up in SCOTUS near instantly and they'd probably be ordered to redo it or something, but all else being equal Biden does not become President unless they finish the count and the chair declares him the winner.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2135 on: January 20, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »

Said "coup" was quite pathetic and was never at any point even remotely close to succeeding.

That also has nothing to do with dooming about how the Supreme Court would flip the election to Trump or state legislatures would place slates of electors, etc.

Yeah I don't agree. We were about a minute away from the Senate chamber being invaded by a mob while still in session. It all worked out, but the razor thin margin in the election itself, plus the unthinkable storming of the Capitol I think gives credence to all the dooming.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2136 on: January 20, 2021, 08:48:07 PM »

Yeah I don't agree. We were about a minute away from the Senate chamber being invaded by a mob while still in session. It all worked out, but the razor thin margin in the election itself, plus the unthinkable storming of the Capitol I think gives credence to all the dooming.

That would've resulted in the Senate session being emergency adjourned, not in the Senate just declaring Trump the winner (which they really couldn't have done anyway based on the electoral votes received.)
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2137 on: January 20, 2021, 08:58:04 PM »

My worry is lawmakers being taken hostage or killed as we know at least some of them were trying to do.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2138 on: January 21, 2021, 03:35:04 PM »

My worry is lawmakers being taken hostage or killed as we know at least some of them were trying to do.

That would've been a very awful and tragic situation, but it would've not resulted in Trump remaining in office. In fact it would've probably resulted in him being removed immediately.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2139 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:41 PM »

That would've been a very awful and tragic situation, but it would've not resulted in Trump remaining in office. In fact it would've probably resulted in him being removed immediately.

Maybe we're talking past each other.. I don't think  the Kraken ever had a chance, and if you asked me Jan 5 if a mob took the Senate hostage and killed Pence would Trump still be in power on Jan 21, I would have said: probably not. But what unfolded justifies the dooming that he would try something extreme/violent/unthinkable.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2140 on: January 22, 2021, 09:33:55 PM »

BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #2141 on: February 22, 2021, 10:42:59 AM »

For some closure.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2142 on: February 22, 2021, 01:41:40 PM »

For some closure.

Kavanaugh and Barrett both declining to hear the case has very important implications for the stability of election law over the next 4 years, especially after Kavanuagh flirted with it in October.  I don't think we need to worry about an explicit overturning of the Arizona redistricting commission case anymore as this is in all likelihood the most conservative SCOTUS will be for decades to come.   
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2143 on: February 22, 2021, 06:11:15 PM »

For some closure.

Kavanaugh and Barrett both declining to hear the case has very important implications for the stability of election law over the next 4 years, especially after Kavanuagh flirted with it in October.  I don't think we need to worry about an explicit overturning of the Arizona redistricting commission case anymore as this is in all likelihood the most conservative SCOTUS will be for decades to come.   

Agreed - Barrett saying during her Confirmation process that delaying elections or letting people vote multiple times could be constitutionally permissible was very concerning, but she seems to have done a near complete 180 on this during her time on the court.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 83 84 85 [86]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies