Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:09:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 142692 times)
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:43:56 PM »

Decided to start this. Post anything voter suppression/mail-in voting related here if you want.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »

Thank you!
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 07:46:40 PM »

Mods, please pin this.

TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »

chubbygummy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 07:54:32 PM »

I wonder if the John Lewis act will ever pass.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/4
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »

Will sticky.

May merge some old threads when I get time.
G_Master
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2020, 10:05:24 AM by G_Master »

I feel as if Narcissist-in-Chief really has a specific hatred for Oregon and Washington. He's not only sending in federal troops to the largest cities in both of those states, but he is also attacking the very ways in which they vote, as they ONLY vote by mail by default.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »

Not when Republicans can't even tell the difference between him and Elijah Cummings.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 11:41:06 PM »

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 11:58:36 PM »

Well it is true, GOP tends to do better when voter turnout is low so while I think some are overestimating its impact, don't think for a minute some in GOP won't try it.  Not all will, some believe in principle of democracy superceding winning, but some more sleazy types like Trump will.  If GOP were smart they would figure out why they are struggling amongst non-whites, younger voters, and those with lower income and find a way to be more appealing to those groups instead of finding ways to suppress their turnout.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 07:27:41 AM »

I feel as if Narcissist-in-Chief really has a specific hatred for Oregon and Washington. He's not only sending in federal troops to the largest cities in both of those states, but he is also attacking the very ways in which they vote, as they ONLY vote by mail by default.

IIRC, his administration had a lot of run-ins with the Washington AG’s Office in 2017.  He definitely had quite a few fights with Inslee over COVID-19, a few of them quite public.  Idk about Oregon though, maybe he thinks Portland is in Washington *shrug*
G_Master
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 10:13:17 AM »

I still think that the mail ballot slowdowns will backfire. I think people would still do anything to dump this Orange Maniac.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »

I still think that the mail ballot slowdowns will backfire. I think people would still do anything to dump this Orange Maniac.

Doesn't matter if it's out of your control. If you request a ballot and it never shows up, there's nothing you can do.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »

Doesn't matter if it's out of your control. If you request a ballot and it never shows up, there's nothing you can do.

I think they're referring to people voting in person if their ballot doesn't come. Your point still stands, though.
G_Master
Rookie

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »

If it doesn’t show up, it is still possible to vote in person, preferably by voting early if your state allows it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »

Better news:

Will greatly help speed up the voting process on election day. More states need to go to this.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 04:01:00 PM »

This is nice, on the Georgia changes.  I was just about to get an absentee ballot application to mail in, but now I'll wait for this.

Another emergency rule also authorizes the secretary of state's office to create an online portal that will allow voters to request absentee ballots and provide local officials with a centralized database to send out ballots.

Ryan Germany, general counsel for the secretary of state's office, said the new portal would be similar to Georgia's online voter registration system, and absentee applications would be matched with the name, date of birth and driver's license number in the voter registration system. The portal is expected to be unveiled later this week or early next week.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 04:41:03 PM »

I'm literally overjoyed at the Georgia news... the more certainty we have on election night, the better.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 06:53:29 PM »

I can't believe that we live in a time when political news is scarier than most horror movies.
Coastie
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 09:28:08 PM »

So Trump is looking to shut down the census to minimize representation gains in states where voter populations area growing, and like his henchman, Kris Kobach, will do all he can to keep blacks, browns, students and even women from voting. He's got paid Republican campaign staffers working to get Kanye West on the ballot in many states, to erode the support of black voters for Biden, and to get Green Party candidates on the ballot in Montana and elsewhere, to suppress environmental support for Democrats. He's even trying to wreck the post office so they can't deliver mail-in ballots. This is disgusting and insanity.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 01:06:01 AM »

Pretty sure this won't hold up in court.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 01:11:27 AM »

The actions can only make so much difference before November — elections are mostly run at the state and local level, and are subject to congressional authority. And some fellow Republicans are warning the president privately and publicly that attempts to restrict mail-in ballots could actually hurt the GOP in November, scaring Republicans from voting remotely even if they also refuse to vote in person during a pandemic. New polling has fueled these concerns.

Seems pretty open-and-shut to me (In before "Republicans will find a way")
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 01:14:06 AM »

Disgusting. Incredible that GOP voters are OK with this.
Coastie
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:52 AM »

So Trump is looking to shut down the census to minimize representation gains in states where voter populations area growing, and like his henchman, Kris Kobach, will do all he can to keep blacks, browns, students and even women from voting. He's got paid Republican campaign staffers working to get Kanye West on the ballot in many states, to erode the support of black voters for Biden, and to get Green Party candidates on the ballot in Montana and elsewhere, to suppress environmental support for Democrats. He's even trying to wreck the post office so they can't deliver mail-in ballots. This is disgusting and insanity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies